Phantom Stranger 1 Spoilers - Raven has indeed returned!

#1 Edited by RavenArrow (25 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey everyone! Being obsessed with Raven, I just couldn't resist posting spoilers :P ...I won't buy the comic book until after 10 days, when it gets here, but I still can't get myself to read the spoilers I found and I'm gonna post.So,here they are:

The Phantom Stranger takes her to the doorway between Earth and Trigon's dimension, where his demons capture her and take her to his dimension. We learn from Trigon that he was about to send his demon hordes to search Earth for Raven, and that is why the Phantom Stranger took her to him, to sacrifice her to avoid the bloodshed. We are left with Trigon bragging that he will return to Earth with Raven at his side, and will destroy it.

If you are courageous enough to read it,then do so, and post it on the actual page.

#2 Posted by Outside_85 (8524 posts) - - Show Bio

I on the other hand have read it and I have made the following observations:

-Ok, first things first; she is not called Raven throughout the issue, only Rachel (which I suspect is Geoff Johns' doing since he is also involved in this issue)

-she escaped from Azerath, which is still in another dimension, when her father Trigon overran it

-Stonehenge is the doorstep between Azerath and Earth

-Azerath couldn't teach Raven...or Rachel how to control her empathy

-She has been trying to help others by using said empathy

-Cult of Blood is still Trigon's thugs (thanks Geoff...)...which means Brother Blood is also just that.

-Someone decided to make Trigon look a little weirder and added a third set of eyes...rest of him looks ok though

#3 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

And now we... wait until who knows when to see her again. Hurraaaay.

#4 Posted by RavenArrow (25 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I saw a website declaring Raven's appearance at The Phantom Stranger 2.I found it quite wierd,since she already appeared in Phantom Stranger 1, so I assume that she means her appearance in a costume, with her official name, since she was only mentioned as Raven.And,in the official synopsis, we get to see the sons of Trigon,so my bet's Raven's in it.

#5 Posted by DarkShadows (742 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll wait it out for a few months before buying the issues.

When one of you mentioned Geoff John, that kind of killed my spirits; no offense but he can't write Raven.

And Raven will always be Raven to me, not Rachel.

I refuse.

#6 Posted by justforthecomments (40 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it.... I really really really don't like that she's called Rachel though xP I also don't like that she hasn't controlled her emotions/powers....

#7 Posted by BlackDove (375 posts) - - Show Bio

So besides the fact that Raven is featured in the series, is it honestly worth picking up?

#8 Posted by Beast_in_the_Shadows (426 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, not sure how I feel about any of that, but at least alot of her origin is more intact than other titans. But I'm not surprised that the Church of Blood is still related to Trigon. Their representation in Ravagers had Demon servants all over it.

As for his eyes, they probably made it six to related him even more with the trope "the number of the beast" and such. That being said i don't care for it and lets hope Raven never goes demon because I don't see how they will fit two more eyes on her face.

#9 Posted by Outside_85 (8524 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackDove said:

So besides the fact that Raven is featured in the series, is it honestly worth picking up?

Well 90% of the book is about Raven and Trigon and the Stranger is just sort of there, it's only the last two pages that's just about how messed up the Stranger is.

@Beast_in_the_Shadows: They could reduce it to four since she is more human than Trigon is, but I agree that it is a bit odd that they put the extra eyes lower rather than higher on his head.

#10 Posted by Beast_in_the_Shadows (426 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85:Yeah, I guess four eyes would make enough sense for middle ground between human/two and demon/four. just seems like a change that doesn't really add anything so it shouldn't have been made. Like how they changed Gar's original blonde hair and blue eyes. If you were going to make him red instantly, why wouldn't you just leave that old detail alone.

Also miss Trigon's antlers. That was one of my favorite things about him. Instead of the standard horned demon that we see all the time, he had antlers that made me think more of Japanese/Chinese creatures of lore. Oh well, thus is the DCnU.

#11 Posted by Outside_85 (8524 posts) - - Show Bio

@Beast_in_the_Shadows: For me at least, the massive horns demons normally have is just as important as an angel's halo for me to say; yep, that's a demon all right (since I also tend to see them as status symbols amongst demons). Normally the antlers didn't bother me so much, but they always made me wonder why Perez went with some of the least impressive horns in the animal kingdom for a character like Trigon. The cartoon made them better when they were pointed and made a crown of sorts.

#12 Posted by justforthecomments (40 posts) - - Show Bio

She doesn't have her chakra...

#13 Posted by BlackDove (375 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85 said:

@BlackDove said:

So besides the fact that Raven is featured in the series, is it honestly worth picking up?

Well 90% of the book is about Raven and Trigon and the Stranger is just sort of there, it's only the last two pages that's just about how messed up the Stranger is.

@Beast_in_the_Shadows: They could reduce it to four since she is more human than Trigon is, but I agree that it is a bit odd that they put the extra eyes lower rather than higher on his head.

Then I'm sold. Thank you.

#14 Posted by BlackDove (375 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkShadows said:

I'll wait it out for a few months before buying the issues.

When one of you mentioned Geoff John, that kind of killed my spirits; no offense but he can't write Raven.

And Raven will always be Raven to me, not Rachel.

I refuse.

This might be a problem I have with this issue. Knowing the original background of Raven, it will be difficult for me (and maybe some of you) to be more receptive to these new changes in the DCnU.

#15 Posted by Outside_85 (8524 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackDove: If you compare them, it really hasn't changed much, she's left Azerath at an earlier age and by the time of the PS-issue has not met any of the Titans as far as we know. The good thing about this is that it is now perfectly possible now for her to return to Earth and gather up a new'ish team to take on Trigon. And then we have to consider how little has actually been changed in comparison to quite a lot of other characters, like the current Teen Titans, who's had quite a huge amount of changes done to them...so I consider us lucky so far :)

#16 Posted by BlackDove (375 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85 said:

@BlackDove: If you compare them, it really hasn't changed much, she's left Azerath at an earlier age and by the time of the PS-issue has not met any of the Titans as far as we know. The good thing about this is that it is now perfectly possible now for her to return to Earth and gather up a new'ish team to take on Trigon. And then we have to consider how little has actually been changed in comparison to quite a lot of other characters, like the current Teen Titans, who's had quite a huge amount of changes done to them...so I consider us lucky so far :)

I see. I definitely want to pick up the issue but I just wanted an honest review. Thanks again.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.