Why does everyone hate Raiden?

#1 Posted by The Enigma (1882 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously why? He's not actually that bad in MGS2 and in MGS4 he is absolutely awesome.

#2 Posted by Trench (880 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont im one of the few people who liked him but i believe hes reedemed himself in MGS4 for all the people who did hate him

#3 Posted by The Enigma (1882 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed. I though he was a fine character in MGS2 and in MGS4 he was just excellent, although it is a shame he wasn't playable.

#4 Posted by Trench (880 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree it is a shame he wasnt playable but i can see him being playable again and the scenes he is in in MGS4 are brilliant

#5 Posted by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio

I hated him, though I doubt I'll be able to play MGS4 anytime soon. The problem with Raiden wasn't so much that he himself was a bad character, but more stems from the fact that he isn't Snake. You got a great tease in MGS2 with the boat mission, then your stuck playing as some wet behind the ears little punk kid. Honestly, I loved the game, but thought Raiden was unnecessary. They could have done the whole thing using Snake instead but changing the dialog so the story worked.

#6 Posted by The Enigma (1882 posts) - - Show Bio

Snake is awesome but Raiden was still fun to play as.

#7 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

Raiden is my favorite character

I dont know what you're talking about

#8 Posted by The Enigma (1882 posts) - - Show Bio
Resonate said:
"Raiden is my favorite character

I dont know what you're talking about "
Loads of people hate Raiden, I myself like him which is why I created this thread to find out why people hate him.
#9 Posted by DragonGateAcer (5400 posts) - - Show Bio

I think its because people compare him to Snake and didnt like it that he was the main character when Snake wasnt but he is a great character who is very human and he is one of my favourite characters not my favourite but one of them.

#10 Posted by The Enigma (1882 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honnest I much prefer Naked Snake (Big Boss) and Raiden to Solid Snake. But, this is prior to playing MGS4.

#11 Posted by DragonGateAcer (5400 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Solid Snake more to Raiden but my favourite characters are Big Boss (Naked nake) and The Boss oh and Johnny(Akiba) and others i really like.

#12 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by The Enigma (1882 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking back before MGS4, the games got better each time, and included better characters and had better plots.

#14 Posted by DragonGateAcer (5400 posts) - - Show Bio
The Enigma said:
"Looking back before MGS4, the games got better each time, and included better characters and had better plots."

I think 3 is better than 4 and the best of the series
#15 Posted by The Enigma (1882 posts) - - Show Bio

How so?

#16 Posted by DragonGateAcer (5400 posts) - - Show Bio
The Enigma said:
"How so?"

The story line was much better and more solid than 4 was it had better chracter devolopment and the boss battles are far better than the ones in 4 they were alot more challenging and rewarding for when you beat them although 4 has better graphics and game play i still prefer 3 to 4 and to the rest of the series.
#17 Posted by Death Flame (505 posts) - - Show Bio

hmm i never "hated" raiden but i didnt like how he would always have these emotional convorsations with his girl friend Rosemarry,other then that i thought he was pretty cool =)

#18 Posted by The Enigma (1882 posts) - - Show Bio

Those convos were not even with Rosemary though. Moreover what about Snake and Meryl?

#19 Edited by zero edge (3696 posts) - - Show Bio

I hated him because Kojima lead me to believe that Snake was going to be playable the whole game. Kinda pissed me off that I played as Snake for 1/4th of the game and had to listen to Raiden whine for the other 3/4ths. Leading up to the release, it was all talk about Snake, releasing a demo with ZoE on the tanker level.. not to mention that we won't get to play as Solid for at least a game and a half after that... But Raiden's redeemed himself to me in  MGS4. Too bad he's not playable when he's actually cool.

#20 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

never even heard of him

#21 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

he's a video game character lol

#22 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

lol thank you res!

#23 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the God of Thunder.

#24 Posted by The Enigma (1882 posts) - - Show Bio
Gottheit said:
"I love the God of Thunder."
This is about the MGS Character.
#25 Posted by zero edge (3696 posts) - - Show Bio

If you read this interview, and think about it for a second, the concept of Raiden was pretty unique how Raiden is to tell the story of Snake from a 3rd person perspective, and to make you feel like a rookie again since Snake is a hero already by the time of MGS2. And it really shows how great a story teller Kojima is.

#26 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Gottheit doesn't care, and insists on his first post.

#27 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah, Raiden is a very unique way of doing things for that

plus, we got to see Snake's badass ness from someone elses point of view, thuis proving that we are not worthy to play as him :P

#28 Posted by The Enigma (1882 posts) - - Show Bio
Resonate said:
"yeah, Raiden is a very unique way of doing things for that

plus, we got to see Snake's badass ness from someone elses point of view, thuis proving that we are not worthy to play as him :P"
Snake is a true hero.  E's eyes go dreamy
#29 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't like Raiden, because he's this freaking pretty-boy, when I was getting all amped on playing as Snake. They gave us no warning that we were going to play as a pansy, and it killed the rest of the game.

#30 Posted by The Enigma (1882 posts) - - Show Bio
Gottheit said:
"I didn't like Raiden, because he's this freaking pretty-boy, when I was getting all amped on playing as Snake. They gave us no warning that we were going to play as a pansy, and it killed the rest of the game."
You are a fool, who fails to appreciate a fantastic game.
#31 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

all in all nobody has a reason to hate on him other than the fact that they're just bitching

#32 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Gottheit is God, who fails to appreciate a b-tch in place of Solid Snake. You are an Enigma, and as such are not worth the Godhead's time.

#33 Posted by The Enigma (1882 posts) - - Show Bio
Resonate said:
"all in all nobody has a reason to hate on him other than the fact that they're just bitching"
Well Raiden does have awesome hair and cool fighting moves in MGS4.
#34 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously, my only complaint with Raiden is how womanish he looked. I don't like playing as Raiden for that reason.

#35 Posted by The Enigma (1882 posts) - - Show Bio
Kojima deliberately created an androgynous protagonist in Raiden, to convey  Snake's portrayal more effectively.
#36 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio
Gottheit said:
"Seriously, my only complaint with Raiden is how womanish he looked. I don't like playing as Raiden for that reason."

hahahahaha
#37 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey, I'm sure it worked nicely, but Gottheit needs someone whose estrogen levels and testosterone levels aren't in conflict. I'll take Kratos over the guy from FF10 any day.

#38 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

lmao

#39 Posted by The Enigma (1882 posts) - - Show Bio
Gottheit said:
"Hey, I'm sure it worked nicely, but Gottheit needs someone whose estrogen levels and testosterone levels aren't in conflict. I'll take Kratos over the guy from FF10 any day."
Not to be pedantic but, estrogen and testosterone levels will always be in conflict in the adult male's body, but the testosterone levels are higher :S.
#40 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Exactly. In those of us who aren't Raiden, the testosterone wins the conflict.

#41 Posted by The Enigma (1882 posts) - - Show Bio
Gottheit said:
"Exactly. In those of us who aren't Raiden, the testosterone wins the conflict."
Well he has grown some balls in MGS4 anyway.
#42 Posted by zero edge (3696 posts) - - Show Bio
Gottheit said:
"Seriously, my only complaint with Raiden is how womanish he looked. I don't like playing as Raiden for that reason."
Can't do anything there because they created him to look pretty and feminine. They call it bishonen (the beautiful boy), it's popular in Japanese culture right now (it stems down from other asian cultures), and is meant to appeal to girls. And was what Kojima meant to do. Japanese girls loves them pretty boys.
#43 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I know what Japanese culture likes, but I'm not talking about that. I'm merely saying I don't want my heroes to possibly have ovaries.

#44 Posted by GaMbLa96 (19 posts) - - Show Bio

i like Raiden. I wonder whod win between him and deadpool

#45 Posted by John Valentine (16335 posts) - - Show Bio
GaMbLa96 said:
"i like Raiden. I wonder whod win between him and deadpool"

Raiden.
#46 Posted by GTG12 (1548 posts) - - Show Bio

Well no one can be as awsome as snake so there it is. JK

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.