She lacks personality and a unique voice to her character

#1 Posted by 244 (496 posts) - - Show Bio

I have been doing a little bit of reading of the 1980's Uncanny X-men and whenever I read the Rachel Summers parts (even nowadays), she doesn't even have her own personality that separates herself from the rest of the characters and a voice for herself. I don't know.... What do you people think?

#2 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, I don't know... back in the old days I think she had the 'lost child trying to be strong' routine down to a T.  Now she's lost in space & sleeping with aliens... N'ah, not the lady I used to read.

#3 Posted by krisis (160 posts) - - Show Bio

I have always felt that Rachel only had a distinct voice when Alan Davis was involved, even only as the artist. He seemed to have a sympathy for her that cut through Claremont's love of using her as a Jean Grey replacement.  

That's not to say she's dissimilar to Jean - Claremont/Davis at their best play her like a bolder, brasher young Jean Grey - powerful, but prone to getting in over her head, and worshipful of the 1st and 2nd generation of X-Men.  I feel like it's believable that she doesn't ever truly gain control over her powers because of all the intense trauma of her youth.

She's one of my favorite characters, so I was just about to chase down the space epic stuff to read more of her. Xerox, would you say it's not worth the time/money, since tonally her character is so off? 

Also, do you feel her exile from core X-books is an editorial decision connected to do with her marked similarity to Hope Summers in look, name, time-travel, etc?

#4 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio
@krisis said:
"Xerox, would you say it's not worth the time/money, since tonally her character is so off?  Also, do you feel her exile from core X-books is an editorial decision connected to do with her marked similarity to Hope Summers in look, name, time-travel, etc? "
I've missed a lot of the space adventure stories.  I try to catch them as cheaply as possible as back issues.  I'm happy to spend a little money on them.  They can't possibly be as bad or as pointless as the new adjectiveless X-Men title. 

That's a possibility.  Time-wise, Rachel was 'lost in space' about a year before Messiah CompleX started.  So editorially speaking, they would have been plotting the cross-over back then.  Hope & Rachel together in the same room would be odd... but it must happen at some point; the woman who would grow up to be his Mother Askani, and the girl who grew up as his adoptive daughter.
#5 Edited by Calibong (18 posts) - - Show Bio
I have not read any of the earlier stories featuring Rachel, but i did manage to pick up The end of history TPB from a second hand bookshop (which is a really cool book in my opinion). Uncanny x-men #444 has a great scene between Rachel and Emma. This is probably the reason that i like the book so much because it really is a great page, and it led to me really liking the new Marvel Girl. 

I'll try find a scan now...  

EDIT: There we go, gotta love those last few panels :)
#6 Posted by IcePrince_X (4851 posts) - - Show Bio

Rachel is my favorite X-Men character of all time.

She has lots of character but as time goes by, writers don't know what to do with her after her issue with Jean Grey and Cyclops have been resolved.

As much as did not like it, I prefer her death in the Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix and just made her an ethereal being.

Nevertheless, her comeback is great but I just don't like the downgrade she has been given both experience wise and power wise. But I am glad she is back now.

#7 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

There was a time...

#8 Posted by IcePrince_X (4851 posts) - - Show Bio

yah.. wil the phoenix force goes back to her?

#9 Posted by soul82 (14 posts) - - Show Bio

the phoenix force came to earth and anybody call to Rachel???? ?¿? she has been linked to the phoenix force over 20 years!

#10 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@soul82: And it gets worse. AvX will not have Rachel involved outside of her team tie-ins. I know Jason Aaron said it in an interview, I think Gage said the same.

#11 Posted by soul82 (14 posts) - - Show Bio

I do not understand it ... I do not understand it!!!! phoenix-jean grey-phoenix-rachel grey-phoenix-hope? xDDD

I am sad to read that :(

#12 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@soul82: Marvel wants to completely focus on Hope's and possibly Jean's Phoenix Connection. Rachel just got ignored I guess cause they wanted to keep it reader friendly.

#13 Posted by soul82 (14 posts) - - Show Bio

if you have a reason I think marvel doesn´t have coherence...

#14 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@soul82: Marvel does things without a reason all the time. I'm merely trying rationalize their crap. lol

#15 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

She's a combination-spinoff character. She borrows the Phoenix stuff from Jean, the trashed future stuff from Cable, the hellhound stuff from Storm (right? wasn't Storm turned into one of these?), etc. She's like Hope Summers only not as much so.

#16 Posted by damswedon (499 posts) - - Show Bio

Only just started picking up X-Men Legacy, and I noticed that Rachel Grey's personality seemed to be that she was telepathic...and that she...has a tigerface.

That book has had too much Rogue telling us about her relationship with Magneto in the short time I've read it, that book really needs to spend some time rotating its focus on the rest of the team/group

Oh well, for now you could read her with a catwoman like purr. It is a great way to subvert any characteristics that you don't like, for example I read the John Constantine in the DCnU with an exaggerated Scouse accent like this. That way I can still read a book I like, but I can say this John is completely different to the old man we used to have.

#17 Posted by LordOfAllHumans (3909 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

She's a combination-spinoff character. She borrows the Phoenix stuff from Jean, the trashed future stuff from Cable, the hellhound stuff from Storm (right? wasn't Storm turned into one of these?), etc. She's like Hope Summers only not as much so.

He actually borrowed the trashed future stuff from her, she was around for like 2 years (our time) before he was born, and a total of about 9 years (our time) before he reappeared as Cable.

Rachel appearance in 616 was in 1984, Uncanny Xmen 184 and New Mutants 18 in the same month. Nathan wasn't born until Uncanny 201 (1986), Cable came back from the future in New Mutants 87 (1990)

#18 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@LordOfAllHumans said:

@fodigg said:

He actually borrowed the trashed future stuff from her, she was around for like 2 years (our time) before he was born, and a total of about 9 years (our time) before he reappeared as Cable.

Rachel appearance in 616 was in 1984, Uncanny Xmen 184 and New Mutants 18 in the same month. Nathan wasn't born until Uncanny 201 (1986), Cable came back from the future in New Mutants 87 (1990)

True I'd forgotten that. Young Rachel was a very early appearance. Was that also when they first introduced Franklin Richards?

#19 Posted by LordOfAllHumans (3909 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@LordOfAllHumans said:

@fodigg said:

True I'd forgotten that. Young Rachel was a very early appearance. Was that also when they first introduced Franklin Richards?

No, Franklin has been around since 1968

#20 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@LordOfAllHumans said:

@fodigg said:

@LordOfAllHumans said:

@fodigg said:

No, Franklin has been around since 1968

Okay cool. I'm just remembering now the context of them as the two kids in the camp together, working to send Kitty back.

#21 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully there will be more of a focus on her because of AVX because in x-men legacy at the moment she might aswell be a background character. IMO she is a character with a lot of potential: powerful telepath, daughter of cyclops, ex-phoenix and yet marvel have not made any memorable stories involving her.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.