Qui-Gon Returns in Star Wars: The Clone Wars "Overlords"

Posted by G-Man (30370 posts) - - Show Bio

We know the outcome to Anakin Skywalker's story. We don't know every little detail though. In the first chapter of a three-part Clone Wars storyline, beginning at 8:30 p.m. Friday, January 28 on Cartoon Network, we will get glimpses into the prophecy of the Chosen One. A mysterious force draws Anakin, Obi-Wan and Ahsoka to the distant planet of Mortis. Anakin learns of his destiny from a family of exceptionally powerful Force-wielders. They are convinced that Anakin will bring balance to the Force. This episode will bring revelations and betrayals, as well as all-new perspectives on the very fabric of the Star Wars mythology. 

“This is a very important chapter in Anakin’s development,” says Dave Filoni, supervising director of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. “The prophecy of the Chosen One was touched on in the films, but never like this. We’re going to look at what it means for Anakin and the galaxy. We wanted to give it the proper connection to the larger saga. I am very grateful to have Liam Neeson and Pernilla August reprising their roles from the live-action films. They are each so important to Anakin’s journey, and to have them on our series has been incredible.”     

If this wasn't enough, the episode also marks the return of Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon Jin and Pernilla August as Shmi Skywalker
 == TEASER == 

“There's a nobility to [the Jedi], something classic and universal,” says Neeson. “Growing up, my heroes were cowboys; they were strong and mysterious and it seemed like they always rode off into the sunset. For kids today, Star Wars has that same kind of magic. I really wanted to be a part of that. Playing Qui-Gon was very exciting for me, and it's nice to see that it still means so much to so many people. I remember my initial audition, before Episode I. There was no discussion of the script or the story; it was just a conversation with George, and we spent the entire time talking about our kids. At the end of the lunch, we hadn't even touched on Star Wars - but I got the part. It's fitting that my "audition" was based on that connection, because it's what sticks with me still. These characters resonate with children, even after all these years.”  

“It's funny to be asked back to do a voice for the series, because it makes me recall my screen test for Episode I, all those years ago,” she says. “I was nervous because I am from Sweden and I speak with an accent; I was afraid I wouldn't fit in an American film. But George was so sweet to me. He said that I came from a Swedish galaxy, and it made me feel so much better. I guess anything is possible so far, far away! When I got the part, of course, I was thrilled. I knew only the legacy of Star Wars to that point. That was all any of us knew back then; we were becoming part of something tremendous. What no one could foresee was that it would continue to grow and evolve and thrive as it has, and that it would become so important to new generations. As a mother myself, this is a role that has meant a lot to me, and it is so wonderful that Shmi can live on in The Clone Wars series.”

Staff
#1 Posted by James Lasagnaboy (52 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be the first to say this, but YES.

#2 Posted by moffattbooks (139 posts) - - Show Bio

HELL YES!!!!!   Qui-Gon's return!!!  I"m still annoyed he was cut out from RotS

#3 Posted by Shaunw1973 (39 posts) - - Show Bio

Season 3 started slowly, but the last few episodes have really picked things up. This looks like another good episode!

#4 Posted by Sobe Cin (599 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome to see Qui-Gon, but does this invalidate Yoda's statement at the end of RotS, when he tells Obi-Wan that Qui-Gon's been trying to come back as a Force ghost. If Obi's already seen, that would lessen the surprise.  

But awesome none  the less and very awesome seeing the old man use the force to mess with Anakin's lightsaber and manage to close it up.
#5 Posted by DarthStorm (130 posts) - - Show Bio

Holy! Qui-gon and a Awesome Older Force user! Man, I love Star Wars.

#6 Posted by DarthShap (874 posts) - - Show Bio

As always and with reason I believe, I am afraid. :S
#7 Posted by kennybaese (1088 posts) - - Show Bio

My guess is the "powerful Force-wielding family" or whatever is going to have something to do with bringing Qui-Gon and Shmi back. As such, Qui-Gon coming back on his own would still be surprising to Obi-Wan. Or at least that's my thought on how they'll explain it. 

#8 Posted by skaarason (683 posts) - - Show Bio

what !!!!!!!!

#9 Posted by MuadDiab (331 posts) - - Show Bio

I notice this breaks the movies' continuity as in episode 3 yoda tells Obi Wan he has spoken to Qui Gon Jinn. Does this series break with the movie verse much?

#10 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

Dang if that doesn't look incredible.  Wished I would've started watching all these.  I had reservations but now that more of these clips get shown,  the more I am interested.  Aarrgh.
#11 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to admit Qui-Gon has always been my favorite Jedi so I'm really excited for this episode.

#12 Posted by spystreak (2063 posts) - - Show Bio

looks like I can't afford to miss this one
#13 Posted by NightFang (9820 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome.

#14 Posted by leokearon (1751 posts) - - Show Bio

Hurray for the Irish Jedi!
#15 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7561 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn I'm behind, need to Finnish watching the first series and order the second!

#16 Posted by thetophat (12 posts) - - Show Bio

I really need to catch up, the series sounds like it's getting good.

#17 Posted by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio

i wanted to watch star wars but got called into work. maybe someone can get me all 3 seasons on dvd
#18 Posted by atomicrobo5 (69 posts) - - Show Bio

Totally loved it.  It was a nice touch to the episode.

#19 Posted by jimmyziogas (88 posts) - - Show Bio

wow, what a development!  Liam Neeson did have too small a role in the prequel trilogy.  Qui Gon was never even shown communicating from the afterlife, even though Yoda mentions his discovery of force users ability to do so. High hopes!  Peace.

#20 Posted by heroeshero (12 posts) - - Show Bio

we  shoulda had more  qui-gon jinn 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.