Kid Omega and X-man: an awesome team that will never exist

Posted by Squares (4697 posts) - - Show Bio

Poor, poor Quentin Quire. As of Wolverine and the X-men: Alpha and Omega, his character has officially been ruined, and he's doomed to be depicted as that one pretty smart 'rebellious' kind in High School who calls other people sheep. Not that I ever liked the guy or anything, but at least he was somewhat complex before.

X-man, however, seems to be doing really well- he's dropped some of the angst I found to be endemic within his self-titled series, and has new friends and a new home as part of the New Mutants. He's calmer, more mature, and despite being knocked back to basic telekinesis (for the moment) he seems remarkably well-adjusted. His character is being handled quite well, and I for one am looking forward to seeing what the writers have in store for him in the future.

Now, for those of you who don't remember (and it makes me kind of sad that I do...), here are Kid Omega and X-man's powers, respectively:

KID OMEGA

- Omega-level telepath

- Super-human intellect

- Hyper-intellect (he thinks really, really fast)

- Has a pink pseudo-hawk and dresses like a British hipster

FEATS: Quentin has:

+ created a replica of Magneto's psi-blocking helmet from instructions 'on the internet'

+ invented fully-functional anti-gravity floaters for No-girl, seemingly in his free time

+ subconsciously influenced classmates to form a gang with him and start a riot at Xavier's (yeah, Wolverine, great sort of person to bring to your new school...)

+ managed to telepathically neutralize Wolverine, apparently effortlessly, within seconds at said riot

+ been a host of the Phoenix Force

+ become a being of pure psychic energy

X-MAN

- Omega-level telepath and telekinetic

- Psychometry

- Has travelled to different dimensions, has knowledge of the future

- Is a member of the Summers family tree

FEATS: Nate has:

+ turned himself into a being of pure psychic energy and successfully possessed Norman Osborn for an impressive amount of time

+ ripped a psychic being out of the astral plane, something which was thought to be impossible

+ learned how to fully utilize the astral plane

+ too much more to list in an expedient fashion.

The premise- Nate as he was around the end of his titular series; powerful and young and still very new to our mainstream reality, but with skill he's developed over the years and the unprecedented strength of the ultimate Summers scion. Quentin around the time of his brief appearance in Nation X, still incorporeal. Under unspecified circumstances Nate returns Quentin to his physical body and is charged with reining in the troublesome young telepath. Two young mutants with extraordinary abilities and uncharted potential, both powerful telepaths, both tend to not work well in X-teams (to say the least in Quentin's case). Out on their own, doing....stuff - be it aiding those in peril, conducting panty raids, fighting the good fight, or just playing Unreal Tournament together.

Nate has an inherent nobility and sense of justice that would allow him to function as a sort of moral compass and positive influence. Quentin is cruel and arrogant, but he's shown himself to be just as uncertain and emotionally unsure as anyone his age, and has displayed the ability to care for others. There's practically no limit to what Nate can teach Quentin, and given the right circumstances the two could work together to be an almost ridiculous powerhouse that could pretty much do anything they wanted.

Quentin is full of himself, but will he be able to keep up his air of superiority around someone who is so much more powerful than he is? Can Nate's telepathy even affect Quentin (he has a 'see-through (aka transparent)' mind, or so we're told)? Will the two form an unlikely teacher/pupil bond and become great friends and develop into better-adjusted people? Will Nate influence Quentin to become a better, kinder person, or will Quentin cause Nate to become less sympathetic towards humankind?

Nope. Because there's no way in hell Marvel will ever, ever write any of this!

#1 Edited by The Myth (550 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I would rather see these two face off in one hell of an epic reality tearing battle.

#2 Posted by Squares (4697 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Myth: Why reality-tearing? Neither of them have reality manipulation abilities. You'd have to bring in Franklin Richards for that.

And any battle between the two of them would be so incredibly melodramatic and testosterone-y that I don't think I could stand reading it.

#3 Posted by The Myth (550 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squares: Figure of speech dude!

#4 Posted by Squares (4697 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Myth:Oh! Crap, I'm sorry.

In terms of a battle, though, it'd be kind of uneven; it's not really established whether he can be hurt by other peoples' psychic abilities or not- in New X-men they stated that he has a 'see-through mind', implying that his thoughts, at least, cannot be read. Nate, however, doesn't seem to have that advantage, so it ultimately comes down to whether Quentin's a more powerful telepath.

#5 Posted by Artificity (13 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry, I'd like to share something to tip the scales one way or the other but I can't. Partly because I don't know enough about Nate to really like him and partly because we all know that telepathic battles generally just boil down to who get's the first ice-cream headache.

I think the way he's depicted in Wolverine and the X-Men is the best way to depict Quentin. When you're supposedly super smart, super powerful and with a skill set that seems to be not yet set in stone (the charms of being an omega-level mutant once relegated to obscurity), you either become a Paragon of all that is good... or you become a self-entitled little jerk. The fact that Quentin can remind the reader of that one annoying little know-it-all rebel from our high school (Hey! It could've even been you or I, dear reader!) is testament to him being written well. He has a very distinct character totally separate from almost all of the omega-level mutants written. He's an uncool kid that just wants attention.

Honestly? I like him and I hope he never learns the proverbial lesson they're bound to saddle him with somewhere down the line. I hope he keeps being the jerk that he is because it's entertaining.

#6 Posted by 244 (496 posts) - - Show Bio

@Artificity said:

Sorry, I'd like to share something to tip the scales one way or the other but I can't. Partly because I don't know enough about Nate to really like him and partly because we all know that telepathic battles generally just boil down to who get's the first ice-cream headache. I think the way he's depicted in Wolverine and the X-Men is the best way to depict Quentin. When you're supposedly super smart, super powerful and with a skill set that seems to be not yet set in stone (the charms of being an omega-level mutant once relegated to obscurity), you either become a Paragon of all that is good... or you become a self-entitled little jerk. The fact that Quentin can remind the reader of that one annoying little know-it-all rebel from our high school (Hey! It could've even been you or I, dear reader!) is testament to him being written well. He has a very distinct character totally separate from almost all of the omega-level mutants written. He's an uncool kid that just wants attention. Honestly? I like him and I hope he never learns the proverbial lesson they're bound to saddle him with somewhere down the line. I hope he keeps being the jerk that he is because it's entertaining.

I don't know. I kind of feel that Jason Aaron is missing the point of his character.

#7 Posted by vampiric_cannibal (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison's incarnation of Quire was a good, smart, talented kid who fell off the ropes a bit. When he lost his physical form, he had revelations about the nature of Kick and morality. I think Alpha and Omega did the most to return him to that point, of being sympathetic if flawed, but able to readjust to society and improve if given the chance. WatXM is not the series to do that. Quire doesn't need reining in, and he was never a terrorist. He was a good teenager trying to impress a girl. Time, experience and structure is enough to bring him in line. He could well be a Phoenix Host in future, or an X-Men leader. After the Kick thing, he shouldn't think Man v Mutant is an important conflict anymore. A bit of research into postmodernist theory might help him.

X-Man has always been a mediocre character - Cable is around often enough with hyperpowers that X-Man is redundant, and Hope works better as his legacy than X-Man ever would. Hellion as the TK and Kid Omega as the TP would be preferable, Julian has more personality and more parallels to work with than Nate.

#8 Posted by Squares (4697 posts) - - Show Bio

@vampiric_cannibal: I think you're right. Thank you for the insight! :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.