Follow

Punisher

Character » Punisher appears in 2803 issues.

When U.S. Marine veteran Frank Castle's family's was murdered for witnessing a mob hit, the man vowed to avenge their deaths and became a one-man army in his personal war against the criminal underworld. With a distinct death's head skull adorning his chest, Frank Castle became the vigilante known as the Punisher.

When he became the punisher

Avatar image for deactivated-5af7470263a09
    deactivated-5af7470263a09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Any accurate descriptions of what age he was when he became a vigilante? 

Garth ennis says he was 26, but that seems a bit young.  
    thanks

jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By jamesewelch

It really varies. The original Punisher did 3 tours in Vietnam, but nowadays he's written as if he served in the Arabian/Perisan Gulf conflict.  If you add up his history (on this site's wiki), then he'd probably been in mid-thirties or forties when he started, but comic character ages don't always match up with their backstories.  The MAX version of Punisher would be a bit different than the 616, but in reality the original Frank would probably be in his 70s now if based on his original Vietnam back story.

I'd bet that at 26 he was still in Vietnam. 3 tours would be at least 6-9 years. I can't remember if those tours were 2 or 3 years. He did some vigilante stuff while he was in Vietnam as a Marine (like fragging a few officers), but I don't know if that's what you mean or not. 

He also supposedly tried to go to seminary school, so that puts his entry age around 19 + 1 year (boot camp, bct, sniper school) + 9 years (3 tours) = 29 when he got back from Vietnam. Then it was a bit after that until he married and had kids before they were killed and he became the Punisher.

So if I had to guess, I'd bet around early to mid-30s. His daughter was at least 6-8 (I think). So if he got married within a year of returning and had the kid, then that would be at least 7-9 years after he got back from Vietnam. Unless he was married and had kids before he went to Vietnam, but I've never seen any evidence that he was married or had kids during his tours in Vietnam. He could have came back to states between his tours, got married, had a kid, etc, but I don't remember any of that.

I don't know if any of the books talk about what happened after he got back from Vietnam to before the killing of his family. Most Punisher stories, that I remember, are either set in Vietnam or after his family is killed.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By iLLituracy
    @jamesewelch said:
    " It really varies. The original Punisher did 3 tours in Vietnam, but nowadays he's written as if he served in the Arabian/Perisan Gulf conflict.  If you add up his history (on this site's wiki), then he'd probably been in mid-thirties or forties when he started, but comic character ages don't always match up with their backstories.  The MAX version of Punisher would be a bit different than the 616, but in reality the original Frank would probably be in his 70s now if based on his original Vietnam back story.  I'd bet that at 26 he was still in Vietnam. 3 tours would be at least 6-9 years. I can't remember if those tours were 2 or 3 years. He did some vigilante stuff while he was in Vietnam as a Marine (like fragging a few officers), but I don't know if that's what you mean or not.   He also supposedly tried to go to seminary school, so that puts his entry age around 19 + 1 year (boot camp, bct, sniper school) + 9 years (3 tours) = 29 when he got back from Vietnam. Then it was a bit after that until he married and had kids before they were killed and he became the Punisher. "
    MAX Punisher and 616 Punisher are one in the same from my understanding.

Comics work on a sliding timeline, meaning that even though Punisher was around since '74, he's not in his 60s or 70s, this goes without saying the same way Peter Parker is still young. As time goes on, histories are refitted and retconned to keep things as modern as possible, it's harder to do this with characters like Frank than say someone like Captain America because Frank was a war veteran, which means there will always have to be a war that he participated in but doesn't age him much, so somewhere down the line it won't be the Gulf War but it'll probably be the War on Terror we're fighting in Afghanistan. For Captain America, the era he's found in and revived just slides, where it was in the '60s when the Avengers first found them, you factor in the time that's transpired and slide the date forward and it would roughly be the '90s.

I'm pretty sure that Marvel released a timeline, but I don't remember where, I'm not sure how much time has passed in current Marvel continuity, but yeah. Punisher's not a young dude, anyway.
    jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By jamesewelch
    @iLLituracy said:

They are both Frank Castle, but they are different characters. Its like two Frank Castles in different universes. The 616 Punisher is now FrankenCastle (Frankenstein zombie thing). The MAX Punisher is just a vigilante going after mobsters, criminals, etc.  in a world without superheroes. The MAX version is more "realistic" (meaning no supers, just criminals).  The MAX Punisher doesn't interact with any other series - it's a completely self-contained/stand-alone comic series.

So, they are the same guy, but they are two different stories and worlds.
    iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By iLLituracy
    @jamesewelch said:
    " @iLLituracy said:

They are both Frank Castle, but they are different characters. Its like two Frank Castles in different universes. The 616 Punisher is now FrankenCastle (Frankenstein zombie thing). The MAX Punisher is just a vigilante going after mobsters, criminals, etc.  in a world without superheroes. The MAX version is more "realistic" (meaning no supers, just criminals).  The MAX Punisher doesn't interact with any other series - it's a completely self-contained/stand-alone comic series. So, they are the same guy, but they are two different stories and worlds. "
    It was to my understanding that the MAX series was 616, but I guess not.
    Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool
    @iLLituracy:
    You mean that you never noticed that their were no other heroes? Your slow aren't you?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.