Thomas Jane Reprises Role as The Punisher (Sort Of)

• 169 results
Posted by erik_norris (191 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjoyed Thomas Jane’s take on the Punisher back in the 2004 flick. Sure, John Travolta as the main bad guy felt a bit hammy, and the murder of Frank Castle’s entire family was a little much, but outside that, the 2004 Punisher was a fun movie with a solid cast. But I know I’m in the minority. So it wasn’t much of a surprise when Lionsgate and Marvel decided to go in a different direction and recast Frank Castle with Ray Stevenson for 2008’s Punisher: War Zone.

But I wasn’t done with Thomas Jane’s version of the Punisher. And neither was Thomas Jane.

Flash forward to 2012 and Thomas Jane has wrangled up a few friends (including Ron Perlman) to create a fan fiction short film called “Dirty Laundry” with Jane reprising the role of Frank Castle. The 10-minute short is pretty damn dark (befitting the Punisher world) and is definitely NSFW. What it does manage to do, though, is show Jane’s dedication to delivering a version of the Punisher for the screen that feels more in line with his comic book counterpart. Like, I can totally believe Frank Castle could turn a Whiskey bottle into one of the deadliest weapons on earth.

Give the video below a watch and let us know what you think of Thomas Jane’s latest take on the Punisher. With enough fan support maybe we can see yet another reboot of the Punisher movie franchise with Thomas Jane back in the starring role...

Erik Norris is a freelance writer for sites such as ComicVine, IGN and CraveOnline.com. You can stalk him on Twitter@Regular_Erik.

#1 Posted by ChaosBlazer (3930 posts) - - Show Bio

jack daniels bottle is a powerful weapon indeed

#2 Posted by Illuminatus (9510 posts) - - Show Bio

I would probably have a heart attack if Marvel and Mickey decided to greenlight a Punisher film such as this.

#3 Posted by jack16ichigo (479 posts) - - Show Bio

I preferred Thomas Jane too,the first Punisher was a lot better.....

#4 Posted by Pokeysteve (8425 posts) - - Show Bio

That was better than all three Punisher movies put together. Minus the sitting around listening to people get traumatized.

#5 Posted by zombietag (1497 posts) - - Show Bio

that movie was terrible but its pretty cool that he did this fan film as punisher cool stuff.

BRUTAL

#6 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (3354 posts) - - Show Bio

that was awesome........and I preferred the 2004 flick over war zone.

#7 Posted by Scarecrow4 (480 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow....amazing...loved it. Jane has always been the punisher in my eyes anyway

#8 Posted by PATTX (64 posts) - - Show Bio

good but to exaggerated and not realistic this is a lazy punisher

#9 Posted by odysseyuwrf (73 posts) - - Show Bio

The Jane-Punisher movie was awesome. I would love to see this make a come back. this vid is awesome!

#10 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome

#11 Posted by RedRobin92 (238 posts) - - Show Bio

That was intense! I enjoyed the 2004 Punisher. Bring back Thomas Jane as Frank and let him write and direct it! He knows what he's doing!!

#12 Posted by joshmightbe (24946 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought if they could find a middle ground between the 2004 movie and War Zone it'd be just about a perfect Punisher movie

#13 Posted by elayem98 (458 posts) - - Show Bio

how did the bottle of jack not break...? he smashed it across like 10 guys faces and then threw it at that guy full force...haha

but cool short.

#14 Posted by Teerack (7083 posts) - - Show Bio

This is really cool. I'd love to see them make another punisher movie,

#15 Posted by lmothander (108 posts) - - Show Bio

This reminded me of one of the side stories in the Annuals from the 90s. Would love to see this developed further or some more mini-episodes.

#16 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe: Now that Marvel has the rights back....Could Punisher fit in The Avengers? LOL Him shooting aliens and monsters.
#17 Posted by erik_norris (191 posts) - - Show Bio

@elayem98 said:

how did the bottle of jack not break...? he smashed it across like 10 guys faces and then threw it at that guy full force...haha

but cool short.

The bottle shared Frank's enthusiasm for punishment...

#18 Posted by joshmightbe (24946 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: Frank could never be an Avenger

#19 Posted by Grim (2080 posts) - - Show Bio

Thought Thomas Jane was a great Punisher, and i thought his movie was the best. i hope Marvel takes notice.

#20 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack16ichigo: the first punisher was dolph lundgen.

#21 Posted by KMART4455 (1290 posts) - - Show Bio

@ChaosBlazer said:

jack daniels bottle is a powerful weapon indeed

lol comment of the day. Hell Jack Daniels itself is a powerful weapon lol

#22 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:

@SandMan_: Frank could never be an Avenger

Nope...But can he fit in the Avengers universe?
#23 Posted by joshmightbe (24946 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: He could if they treated him like the comics do (minus all the weird crap like Frankencastle)

#24 Posted by spiderman20991992 (126 posts) - - Show Bio

pretty cool, I love Jane as frank!

#25 Posted by LordRequiem (1321 posts) - - Show Bio

Jane was great in the first film, Ray Stephenson was terrible, and Warzone was just complete rubbish.

#26 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe: Well the rights are back on Marvel. Why not? If only marvel still had the rights to Wolverine and Spidey...
#27 Posted by TheHeat (452 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe this is a hint that Marvel is thinking about rebooting Punisher and have Thomas Jane reprise the role.

#28 Edited by EnSabac (40 posts) - - Show Bio

Tomas Jane left the part as Punisher because he wanted to work on projects that were a good influence on his kids. Then he goes and plays as a male prostitute. Now he's saying that he wasn't done with the part?

I did enjoy the Tomas Jane Punisher movie, but it had it's flaws. I liked this little short. Thomas Jane is a great actor even if he is a little bit of a hypocrite.

#29 Posted by hungup (35 posts) - - Show Bio

More Jane as Punisher please....

#30 Posted by erik_norris (191 posts) - - Show Bio

@EnSabac said:

Tomas Jane left the part as Punisher because he wanted to work on projects that were a good influence on his kids. Then he goes and plays as a male prostitute. Now he's saying that he wasn't done with the part?

I did enjoy the Tomas Jane Punisher movie, but it had it's flaws. I liked this little short. Thomas Jane is a great actor even if he is a little bit of a hypocrite.

Let us not forget Jane's best role in "Homeless Dad."

#31 Posted by Iron Apollo (2199 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe

I always thought if they could find a middle ground between the 2004 movie and War Zone it'd be just about a perfect Punisher movie

Agreed
#32 Posted by elayem98 (458 posts) - - Show Bio

@erik_norris said:

@elayem98 said:

but cool short.

The bottle shared Frank's enthusiasm for punishment...

haha apparently

#33 Posted by Iron Apollo (2199 posts) - - Show Bio
@EnSabac

Yeah, I think sometimes having to pay the bills changes choices and perspectives.
#34 Posted by RoninLoganX (36 posts) - - Show Bio

@Iron Apollo said:

@Iron Apollo said:
@EnSabac

Yeah, I think sometimes having to pay the bills changes choices and perspectives.
I was always under the impression that he departed from The Punisher franchise, because he disagreed with the producers on the direction they wanted to take the series.
#35 Posted by stormtrance1618 (146 posts) - - Show Bio

I really dug Thomas Jane as Punisher. Would love for another movie with him.

#36 Posted by Tone_ (33 posts) - - Show Bio

Ke killed it, that was great. Epitome of american badass right there

#37 Posted by Iron Apollo (2199 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not entirely sure but isn't that the yanks hat he wore as Mickey Mantle in 61*, I'm sure the marvel execs liked that.

#38 Posted by Strife777 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm also in the minority of people who really enjoyed that movie. I think Thomas Jane did a fantastic job as the Punisher. It would be cool to see him again in that role.

#39 Posted by I'maDC/ImageGuy! (1648 posts) - - Show Bio

Punisher War Zone was just a dumb down Punisher Max. I prefer this any day.

#40 Posted by Iron Apollo (2199 posts) - - Show Bio
@RoninLoganX

@Iron Apollo said:

@Iron Apollo said:
@EnSabac

I was always under the impression that he departed from The Punisher franchise, because he disagreed with the producers on the direction they wanted to take the series.
I'm not talking about his reason for leaving the franchise, or not doing another one. I'm talking about the projects he's chosen since. I'm sure hung made him alo of money and if he was able to use this as a springboard to do another punisher film it would defiantly make him alot I money.
#41 Posted by MooseyMcMan (136 posts) - - Show Bio

I really liked that Punisher movie, and I'd love it if this ended up leading to a full-on movie.

#42 Posted by Top Flight Security (143 posts) - - Show Bio

no matter what his reasons for leaving the series, I still enjoyed this little short with him playing the role. Pretty sweet.

#43 Posted by vietthreat (18 posts) - - Show Bio

I would completely support this movie if it were to ever be made but Kevin Nash must also reprise his role.

#44 Posted by jack16ichigo (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion: You got me there....forgot about that having never seen it....

#45 Posted by Bionder (296 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope Marvel learned something from this.

#46 Posted by Owie (3809 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet!

#47 Posted by Sleepwalker570 (19 posts) - - Show Bio

This is what Thomas Jane's first movie should have been like. Glad he took the initiative to do this for the fans!

#48 Posted by Night Thrasher (3699 posts) - - Show Bio

IIRC Jane was onboard for doing a new Punisher movie and was basically waiting for a script for the sequel then Marvel pulled the plug and decided to reboot it. I think the 2004 film was vastly superior to the War Zone film. Jane's Punisher was at least human. He was sadistic in a sense but Stevenson's Punisher just seemed to enjoy killing people. Jane's Punisher was out for vengeance, Stevenson's Punisher was out for blood.

#49 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

this was awesome!

#50 Posted by Jayso4201 (600 posts) - - Show Bio

@Grim said:

Thought Thomas Jane was a great Punisher, and i thought his movie was the best. i hope Marvel takes notice.

Yep

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.