Follow

Punisher

Character » Punisher appears in 2803 issues.

When U.S. Marine veteran Frank Castle's family's was murdered for witnessing a mob hit, the man vowed to avenge their deaths and became a one-man army in his personal war against the criminal underworld. With a distinct death's head skull adorning his chest, Frank Castle became the vigilante known as the Punisher.

Rucka states Frank Castle considers sex a weakness

cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By cody1984

Okay Greg Rucka is on the record stating that he doesn't believe Frank Castle has sex even though in almost all the different Punisher series when an attractive women would make him an offer he would have sex. This goes all the way back to the Mike Baron days and continued in Garth Ennis Punisher MAX run and beyond. I get the whole Artemis Entreri argument for celibacy but it doesn't seem to mesh at all with his past and the fact Frank has been made younger now.

CA: Because connection is vulnerability, and if there's a vulnerability in him someone will exploit it.

GR: This is why [he has] no friends, no lovers, nothing. Axel and I had an early conversation about whether or not Frank had sex. And Axel [suggested] that Frank would maybe service the machine's needs, but my response was that he doesn't need to. He's really doesn't. There's a reason why you have wet dreams. And if he has a wet dream, he can just tell himself it was about Maria. But I do think it's a very delicate nerve ending he has developed, and he has to guard it very carefully.
    Read More: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/08/05/greg-rucka-punisher-interview/#ixzz1UKp9TcIe

So this begs the question should frank have sex with an attractive women if the oppurtunity presented itself? Or should he turn it down viewing it as a weakness?

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Chaos Burn

Um, I don't think he has the urge to have sex ever....

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#3  Edited By RazzaTazz

I think it is going to deep into the character's personality and needlessly creates controversy among the fans.   

If you are talking about whether sexual intercourse makes you more or less effective at killing people then it is hard to answer.  Depends on the person I would think, though in terms of the character, seeing as all he does is for vengeance of his dead wife, he appears to still be in love with her, so sex would be a form of cheating.  

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SmoothJammin

Funny how theres an enzyte infomercial playing in my room, as I dozed off and left the tv on
    Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool
    @RazzaTazz said:
     Depends on the person I would think, though in terms of the character, seeing as all he does is for vengeance of his dead wife, he appears to still be in love with her, so sex would be a form of cheating.  
    I agree 100% that's why I hate that What If where Frank has a kid with Elektra.
    CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By CATPANEXE
    @Mr. Dead Pool said:
    @RazzaTazz said:
     Depends on the person I would think, though in terms of the character, seeing as all he does is for vengeance of his dead wife, he appears to still be in love with her, so sex would be a form of cheating.  
    I agree 100% that's why I hate that What If where Frank has a kid with Elektra.
    cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cody1984
    @RazzaTazz said:

I think it is going to deep into the character's personality and needlessly creates controversy among the fans.    If you are talking about whether sexual intercourse makes you more or less effective at killing people then it is hard to answer.  Depends on the person I would think, though in terms of the character, seeing as all he does is for vengeance of his dead wife, he appears to still be in love with her, so sex would be a form of cheating.  

The argument is not him having some type of relationship that makes him less effective at killing it’s that it gives Frank's enemies a weakness to exploit.  In other words Frank having a sexual relationship with a female character wouldn't make his skills dull to the point where he could no longer sneak up on someone and break their neck.  In fact it wouldn't dull his skills at all.  The argument put forth means that if one of his enemies found out about the relationship they have leverage in dealing with Frank since they can exploit this weakness.  Sort of what Barracuda did against the Punisher in Long Cold Dark using his daughter as a tool against Frank.  Ultimately it failed but it gave Barracuda the opportunity to set things more in his favor.  In other words Rucka views Frank having sex makes him to human giving him a weakness he doesn't currently have.    

As far as Maria goes she has been dead for decades and the Punisher has had sex with multiple women since then so the whole I will remain loyal to her memory argument makes no real sense.   

@Chaos Burn said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By labarith

Oh snap. 

But yeah, he's still married in his mind.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By gravitypress

I doubt it is the sex. I would say he feels the closeness to someone will make him soft. I think he tries to separate himself from his trauma to focus on his goal of punishing evildoers.

Clara Mass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Clara Mass

His hand must be his best friend? lmao

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Chaos Burn
    @cody1984: Ya kinda proved my point, in my opinion. In that scan, he is not in anyway looking or sounding 'turned on'....
    Avatar image for do_i_have_to_give_a_name_
    Do I have to give a name?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes he has sex when the opportunity presents itself, but I'd agree that he doesn't actively pursue it. In the case of his daughter it definitely presented a weakness, but sex doesn't automatically mean children (Thank God) and although he was majorly pissed off when his daughters mother died (I can't remember her name) he was by no means a broken man. In other words I don't think just because he's slept with a woman that he'd become anything like, for example Spider-man or Superman. In that he'd have no qualms about sacrificing her for "The greater good."

vprvnmsrt10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By vprvnmsrt10

He just sort does the deed and moves on. Same with his "job". He does the job and moves onto the next. He doesn't let emotion affect him or get in his way.

The one thing I love about that panel is that the chick is smoking a ciggie and he is just laying there, did what he had to and is probably waiting to escape.

cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cody1984

@Chaos Burn said:

@cody1984: Ya kinda proved my point, in my opinion. In that scan, he is not in anyway looking or sounding 'turned on'....

I don't see how I proved your point since the scans show that the Punisher obviously isn't against having sex if the oppurtunity presents itself. Also you stated

Clearly this isn't the case since if he didn't have the urge to have sex he would've just told Kathryn O'Brien no.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#15  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @cody1984
    But then isn't that making the common mistake of mixing up sexual intercourse with intimacy?
    cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cody1984

@RazzaTazz said:

@cody1984: But then isn't that making the common mistake of mixing up sexual intercourse with intimacy?

Yes and no. Having sex with someone can open you up to caring about that person...although even if doesn't it makes a character more human and less machine since they are fufulling a human desire (sex) instead of being beyond it. Which is essentially what Rucka is stating about the Punisher that he has lost to much of his humanity to have sex and doing so makes him to human.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By iLLituracy
    @Chaos Burn said:
    I'm pretty sure he's had sex before. I think it was in his first solo miniseries where he sleeps with a woman. 

How much the character has changed since then, though...
    Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Chaos Burn
    @iLLituracy: @cody1984: I think you might've misunderstood me. I'm sure Punisher has sex, but what I'm saying is I don't think he ever gets really horny.... like he'd have sex if someone offered, but he wouldn't go out looking for it. He isn't a Quagmire!
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By daredevil21134
    @cody1984 said:
    @RazzaTazz said:

I think it is going to deep into the character's personality and needlessly creates controversy among the fans.    If you are talking about whether sexual intercourse makes you more or less effective at killing people then it is hard to answer.  Depends on the person I would think, though in terms of the character, seeing as all he does is for vengeance of his dead wife, he appears to still be in love with her, so sex would be a form of cheating.  

The argument is not him having some type of relationship that makes him less effective at killing it’s that it gives Frank's enemies a weakness to exploit.  In other words Frank having a sexual relationship with a female character wouldn't make his skills dull to the point where he could no longer sneak up on someone and break their neck.  In fact it wouldn't dull his skills at all.  The argument put forth means that if one of his enemies found out about the relationship they have leverage in dealing with Frank since they can exploit this weakness.  Sort of what Barracuda did against the Punisher in Long Cold Dark using his daughter as a tool against Frank.  Ultimately it failed but it gave Barracuda the opportunity to set things more in his favor.  In other words Rucka views Frank having sex makes him to human giving him a weakness he doesn't currently have.    

As far as Maria goes she has been dead for decades and the Punisher has had sex with multiple women since then so the whole I will remain loyal to her memory argument makes no real sense.   

@Chaos Burn said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Where is this from
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By joshmightbe

So you're saying Marvel writers are unfamiliar with Marvel continuity? That actually explains a lot about how Marvel has been going lately

Mancotron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mancotron

@daredevil21134: Punisher MAX: Up is Down, Black is White storyline.

cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cody1984

@Chaos Burn said:

@iLLituracy: @cody1984: I think you might've misunderstood me. I'm sure Punisher has sex, but what I'm saying is I don't think he ever gets really horny.... like he'd have sex if someone offered, but he wouldn't go out looking for it. He isn't a Quagmire!

I agree with you about the Punisher not going out and trying to get laid. Apparently we just misunderstood each other is all.

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Chaos Burn
    @cody1984: I'm sure I didn't explain myself properly to start with, glad we agreed!
    ZORN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By ZORN

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.