Follow

Punisher

Character » Punisher appears in 2803 issues.

When U.S. Marine veteran Frank Castle's family's was murdered for witnessing a mob hit, the man vowed to avenge their deaths and became a one-man army in his personal war against the criminal underworld. With a distinct death's head skull adorning his chest, Frank Castle became the vigilante known as the Punisher.

Punisher's mask: Hit or Miss?

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
    SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I personally think it's a miss. Frank has always looked much more intimidating without one. I would also prefer if it was a metallic mask.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

His lack of need to protect his identity showed that he was a man with nothing to loose. So, miss.

LSROTJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well of course a miss... I mean after 40 years of his identity being known by everyone, it's just pointless and stupid. Unless it's a Kevlar mask, where it's more about protecting his face and head from bullets, then someone like the Punisher should not be wearing one.

SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His lack of need to protect his identity showed that he was a man with nothing to loose. So, miss.

I agree with this as well. I don't mind him being humanized a bit, but there's a limit to a character like Frank.

@lsrotj said:

Well of course a miss... I mean after 40 years of his identity being known by everyone, it's just pointless and stupid. Unless it's a Kevlar mask, where it's more about protecting his face and head from bullets, then someone like the Punisher should not be wearing one.

This too. I never got how someone wouldn't know who the Punisher was.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I like it.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@amazingwebhead said:

I agree with this as well. I don't mind him being humanized a bit, but there's a limit to a character like Frank.

@lsrotj said:

This too. I never got how someone wouldn't know who the Punisher was.

Frank doesn't wear the mask for protection or to hide his identity. He wears it for shock tactics like the Black Ops do. Also this isn't the first time he's wore a mask.

SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: He already has his skull on his chest, why would he need to have another on his face? Besides, he's much more terrifying without his mask lol :p

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#8  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@symbioticspider-man: It's not the skull, it's the covering of the face that scares people, again this is why Black Ops do it.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it neither a hit or a miss.

SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Hmm... I guess I could see that.

But I still largely prefer him without his mask. It just feels right.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crossbones much

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have wrote a reason for it... Like if he broke not only his nose but fractured the bone around it and needed the mask to guard it for awhile.

That wouldn't have been too hard to write in...

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

It's not the skull, it's the covering of the face that scares people, again this is why Black Ops do it.

I get it, like Darkwing Duck

namelessnoname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By namelessnoname

A miss, it's unnecessary since the shock value already comes from the big white skull on his chest, where is body armor is because that's where the criminals will aim for, the mask has no protect at all and it doesn't add to the scare tactic from the reputation that the Punisher has gained for the past 40 years. That alone should be enough. When you think about, it doesn't make sense that after all these years, Frank somehow thought that he needs to wear a skull mask to scare the bad guys... it makes him look stupid. He wore a mask or a helmet in a Summer Special issue, but that was for protect since he got hit with an axe on the back of the head. Man, this fan base is so broken, hardly anyone understands this character anymore...

SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tensta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Tensta

Miss. And I know it´s been used in real life but I prefer an unmasked Frank doesn´t caring

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah. Separates him from the rest of cowards.

rickpenna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is using the mask to hide the botox implants... He will take it off soon enough.

Avatar image for davethepunisher
    DaveThePunisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MISS

he's Frank Castle! Fearless! He has no need to hide his identity.

as far as shock tactics...like others have said... he just needs his skull on his chest and his reputation. The Punisher is the most feared "hero" in all of Marvel because he will always kill the bad guy. Even killers like Wolverine will often just beat up the bad guy whereas Frank will leave them dead every time. A guy like that doesn't need to hide behind any mask.

Tensta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Tensta

The Punisher is the most feared "hero" in all of Marvel because he will always kill the bad guy. Even killers like Wolverine will often just beat up the bad guy whereas Frank will leave them dead every time. A guy like that doesn't need to hide behind any mask.

Agreed and that´s all there is to him - a human beeing that puts fear in the Marvel heroes because he´s prepared to go all the way

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By TheDandyMan

It does look quite cool, perhaps for stealth missions it would be an option but not on a regular basis.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.