Punisher: R.I.P.?

Posted by G-Man (32081 posts) - - Show Bio

Uh oh.  Things don't sound too good for old Frank.  With Dark Reign: The List, Marvel is promising "the most dramatic changes ever."  Sure we've heard this kind of stuff before, but with the Punisher facing off against Daken (Dark Wolverine), it's a different game.  Marvel has also said that Frank's "(after)life is altered forever."  Starting with Punisher #8, there will be four "Rest In Pieces" variants that will give clues to the Punisher's future.

PUNISHER #8 (JUN090558)
PUNISHER #8 70TH FRAME VARIANT (JUN090559)
PUNISHER #8 REST IN PIECES VARIANT (JUN098029)
Written by RICK REMENDER
Penciled by TAN ENG HUAT
Cover by MIKE MCKONE
70th Frame Variant by STEVE DILLON
Rest In Pieces Variant by TBA
Parental Advisory …$2.99
FOC—7/28/09, On-Sale—8/19/09

PUNISHER #9 (JUL090548)
PUNISHER #9 REST IN PIECES VARIANT (JUN098030)
Written by RICK REMENDER
Penciled by TAN ENG HUAT
Cover by MIKE MCKONE
Rest In Pieces Variant by TBA
Parental Advisory …$2.99
FOC—8/27/09, On-Sale—9/16/09
Staff
#1 Posted by Whiplash (79 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks promising...

#2 Posted by EisforExtinction (1909 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman R.I.P./Punisher R.I.P. crossover?

#3 Posted by themaskedhero (264 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the art for this cover, I sort of wish that Marvel didn't always give away all this stuff before the material that explains it comes out, like Captain America : Reborn, which didn't get to see the light of day until like a week before it came out.

#4 Posted by Dreadmaster (16778 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats great artwork. I just want to see what they're doing to do for the other one-shots and how they are going to intigrate into they're ongoing's (if they have one)

#5 Posted by dondasch (926 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting artwork, and I'll admit I'm behind the times on this but, why does Daken not have the traditional 3 claw set like Wolverine?

#6 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Daken's claw that comes out of the forearm and not his hands curved inward going agianst the other two claws or is it curved outwards going with other two claws?

#7 Posted by LordX1095 (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Really hope they don't plan on killing Punisher >_> maybe he'll kill Daken? [go with what Pluto told Daken in that issue of Incredible Hercules]
Either way, it's damn good to see Punisher being placed into the same spotlight as those of Wolverine, Hulk, Spidy, any of the Avengers, etc,

#8 Posted by Defiant (679 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice

#9 Posted by JamieMadrox-Is-TwiZtiD (23 posts) - - Show Bio
@goldenkey said:
"

Is Daken's claw that comes out of the forearm and not his hands curved inward going agianst the other two claws or is it curved outwards going with other two claws?

"

Daken's 3'rd Claw isn't actually his own, it's apart of Logan's ancient sword (I forgot the name) it was added while Logan was on the hunt for Daken, and no the third  claw isn't on the top of the hand/in between the knuckles like his father's Daken only has 2 claws like that on each hand, the third comes out of the bottom of his wrist much like where Spider-Man would have his organic webbing shooting out. I'm just giving a mild overview, I'm sure someone else can fill in the specifics of it all -Fox
#10 Posted by Alphaproto (350 posts) - - Show Bio

You what would be funny? If Frank killed Daken and took his place on Dark Avengers.

#11 Edited by Deo Wade (430 posts) - - Show Bio
@JamieMadrox-Is-TwiZtiD said:
" @goldenkey said:
"

"
Daken's 3'rd Claw isn't actually his own, it's apart of Logan's ancient sword (I forgot the name) it was added while Logan was on the hunt for Daken, and no the third  claw isn't on the top of the hand/in between the knuckles like his father's Daken only has 2 claws like that on each hand, the third comes out of the bottom of his wrist much like where Spider-Man would have his organic webbing shooting out. I'm just giving a mild overview, I'm sure someone else can fill in the specifics of it all -Fox "
Negative, well partially right sir. He's had 3 bone claws from the get-go and the claws in his wrists were coated with the Muramasa Blade's metal after the fact.
#12 Posted by Citizen 14 (1236 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it. a lot.

#13 Posted by GERALD (165 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm kind of tired of Dark Wolverine. I also don't think he's a legitimate bad guy. Isn't he just doing this to piss Logan off?

#14 Posted by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh man, Frank better not be taken out by that mohawk having "Wolverine lite." Daken doesn't deverse it. Punisher should die at Jigsaws hands, if not that than maybe The Sentry. Lol This new series did start with that fight anyway.

#15 Edited by Tyler Starke (4410 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deo Wade said:
" @JamieMadrox-Is-TwiZtiD said:
" @goldenkey said:
"

"
Daken's 3'rd Claw isn't actually his own, it's apart of Logan's ancient sword (I forgot the name) it was added while Logan was on the hunt for Daken, and no the third  claw isn't on the top of the hand/in between the knuckles like his father's Daken only has 2 claws like that on each hand, the third comes out of the bottom of his wrist much like where Spider-Man would have his organic webbing shooting out. I'm just giving a mild overview, I'm sure someone else can fill in the specifics of it all -Fox "
Negative, well partially right sir. He's had 3 bone claws from the get-go and the claws in his wrists were coated with the Muramasa Blade's metal after the fact. "
Deo Wade is right, But his wrist claws ARE curved inward, I don't know why this cover art shows otherwise. Well I guess frank is doomed, but you guys know what that means. Who can't wait Punisher Reloaded 2011!!! ( sarcasm on)
#16 Posted by Deo Wade (430 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tyler Starke said:
" @Deo Wade said:
" @goldenkey said:
"

"
Negative, well partially right sir. He's had 3 bone claws from the get-go and the claws in his wrists were coated with the Muramasa Blade's metal after the fact. "
Deo Wade is right, But his wrist claws ARE curved inward, I don't know why this cover art shows otherwise. Well I guess frank is doomed, but you guys know what that means. Who can't wait Punisher Reloaded 2011!!! "
I've seen them drawn both ways. I guess it just depends on the artist. Can't wait to see how this plays out.
#17 Posted by Meldrick (1 posts) - - Show Bio

If that "(after)life" line means Marvel is leading us back to demon-hunting angel-Frank, then Marvel has seriously lost their friggin' minds. Ennis got rid of that ridiculous garbage for a reason, and fans responded. It's bad enough he's back to wearing white gloves and interacting with superheroes at all.

And Daken's a joke. Can't die fast enough. Maybe Hulk could use the equally ludicrous X-23 as a weapon and beat them both to death in one giant SMASH.

#18 Posted by Tyler Starke (4410 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deo Wade said:
" @Tyler Starke said:
" @Deo Wade said:
" @goldenkey said:
"

"
Deo Wade is right, But his wrist claws ARE curved inward, I don't know why this cover art shows otherwise. Well I guess frank is doomed, but you guys know what that means. Who can't wait Punisher Reloaded 2011!!! "
I've seen them drawn both ways. I guess it just depends on the artist. Can't wait to see how this plays out. "
not to be contrary but I've never seen them drawn any other way but curved inward, do you have any examples?
#19 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

The RIP in title is a blatent title rip-off of Morrison's arc. Not impressed.

#20 Posted by dan1509 (183 posts) - - Show Bio

does this artwork remind anyone of Wolverine: enemy of the state/ Agent of SHIELD?

#21 Posted by Physco (1 posts) - - Show Bio

this cover is cool

#22 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice art

looks brutal!

#23 Posted by Deo Wade (430 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tyler Starke said:
" @Deo Wade said:
" @Tyler Starke said:
" @Deo Wade said:
" @goldenkey said:
"

"
I've seen them drawn both ways. I guess it just depends on the artist. Can't wait to see how this plays out. "
not to be contrary but I've never seen them drawn any other way but curved inward, do you have any examples? "
As soon as I can remember which issue I saw it in, I'll let you know. With a scan.
#24 Posted by Deo Wade (430 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tyler Starke said:
" @Deo Wade said:
" @Tyler Starke said:
" @Deo Wade said:
" @goldenkey said:
"

"
not to be contrary but I've never seen them drawn any other way but curved inward, do you have any examples? "
Actually the panel that I was thinking of is on Daken's CV page.

#25 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank is resilient he won't go down without a fight, & he'll take as many scumbags with him IF he does go down.

#26 Posted by GUNSM1TH (5 posts) - - Show Bio

WHAT IF CASTLE DIES AND THEN IS BROUGHT BACK BUT DIFFRENT,IMMORTAL AND HARDER TO KILL..IMAGINE WHAT HE COULD DO IN HIS WAR ON CRIME..THAT WOULD BE A COOL REBOOT

#27 Posted by NightFang (9973 posts) - - Show Bio

R.l.P. Punisher.

#28 Posted by The Sadhu (853 posts) - - Show Bio

Punisher + Daken = 42

#29 Posted by bringdeath (270 posts) - - Show Bio

The punisher is my hero i cant bear the thought of him dying....If he does die I'll hate everything about marvel forever....

#30 Posted by drone.devil (47 posts) - - Show Bio

.....he just better stay dead....if he dies.

Tan's art better not suck on this,.....he really dragged Arron's Ghost Rider run down with his artwork....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.