Follow

Punisher

Character » Punisher appears in 2803 issues.

When U.S. Marine veteran Frank Castle's family's was murdered for witnessing a mob hit, the man vowed to avenge their deaths and became a one-man army in his personal war against the criminal underworld. With a distinct death's head skull adorning his chest, Frank Castle became the vigilante known as the Punisher.

Punisher: Hero or Villain?

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By Mr. Wilson

So he kills people.  He wears a skull on his chest.  He uses guns.  This description doesn’t exactly match the stereotypes that most people think of when they hear the word hero.  So is the Punisher a hero?  Before you answer that you need to know what a hero truly means.  Let’s see if Frank earns the mantle of hero or villain.

The following is the definition of hero from Webster’s Dictionary.

Main Entry: he·ro

Pronunciation:  \ˈhir-(ˌ)ō\

Function:  noun

Inflected Form(s):  pluralheroes

Etymology:  Latin heros, from Greek hērōs

Date: 14th century

1 a: a mythological or legendary figure often of divine descent endowed with great strength or ability

b: an illustrious warrior

c: a man admired for his achievements and noble qualities

d: one that shows great courage

2 a: the principal male character in a literary or dramatic work

b: the central figure in an event, period, or movement

3plural usuallyheros:submarine2

4: an object of extreme admiration and devotion :idol

Now that we know what hero means, let’s compare.

1a.  For this first defintion it calls for a legendary figure.  Frank Castle is legendary, his war on crime is what makes him that.  He could also be an urban myth to those who are too arrogant or who want to believe he is to build a false sense of comfort.  These beliefs are usually proved wrong and those criminals soon learn a lesson after they get pumped of lead.  In the second part it calls for him to be of divine descent.  His name is Frank Castle.  He may not be of this descent literally but his last name could figuratively mean divinitiy.  Coincidence?  Possibly, but it fits.  In the final part it says the character must be endowed with great strength or ability.  The Punisher is in great shape physically, maybe peak, but what is even stronger is his will and mentality.  A man who can take several cracked ribs, be injected with poisons, and survive in an explosion who without having a healing factor and can keep coming until the deed is done is truly strong.  Even when he knows that his mission to eradicate all crime will never be completed he still moves on.  Frank's ability is unquestionable.  Any man who can go into a room full of mobsters with a pistol and walk away from it has ability.  'Nuff said.

So far Frank is 1 for 1. 

b.  Franks is illustrious.  Illustrious means to be brilliantly outstanding because of dignity or achievements or actions (this is from Websters as well).  Frank has dignity for himself.  He holds himself in a state to where he can keep going no matter what and keeps this promise for his lost family.  The Punishers achievements and actions are grand and unbelievable.  He has destroyed many mad-men and saved many people.  Also illustrious can  mean to be bright.  Well this can mean several things.  He could be the bright hope to some innocent person or it could mean the glaring stare of his white skull.  As for the warrior part, I shouldn't even have to explain. 

2 for 2.

c.  Some people admire Frank for his life saving abilities but most see him at best as a crazy vigilante.  Criminals see him as a merchant of death and do not look too highly upon him.  For arguments sake, I'll give this to the naysayers.

2 for 3.

d.  Anyone who can hold their own against the whole criminal empire or even think of doing it has got courage.  Few people could do what he does and do it again without peeing their pants.

3 for 4.

2a.  Frank is the main character of his story so yes this definition works.
       b.  He has been the central figure of many crime busts and is a character who has earned the vigilante.

4 for 5.

3.  .....................................  We won't count this one.

4.  Some people do admire him for his skills as a marksmen and courageous man.  Spider-Man has his respect and other costumed vigilantes have come around to him.  The people he has saved also are usually thankful.  Some people resent him though so we'll put this against him.

4 for 6.

Okay it wasn't a perfect score.  Surprised?  I'm not.  Look at others we classify as heroes.  Spider-Man could have easily gotten this very score.  Batman as well.  Frank is in the same category.  These are the misunderstood heroes and maybe he's not exactly the picture we have for hero but he scored a better than average score.  If this isn't even enough, look at the U.S.  We voted to go at war with the terrorists who destroyed many loved ones and our sense of security on the fateful day of 9/11.  The Punisher's story is npt different.  Men took up arms and gunned down his loved ones and he vowed war on all criminals, deciding to punish them.  The U.S. killed people in their war.  So did Punisher.  The U.S. found that terrorism would never be destroyed.  Frank found that crime would never die.   They are exactly the same!  The people we call heroes are the exact same as a person most veiw as antihero/psycho.  What is the difference?  Nothing. 

I hope I have convinced by now but bottom line the guy saves people and leaves the world a better place, he is a hero.

wolvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By wolvie

this is good Mr.Wilson he is infact a hero that is true but i never really liked Castle but i hope he appears in MUA 2

Strong Bad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Strong Bad

wow...that was a nice blog

Misfortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Misfortune

he has the intentions of a hero but handles it in a manner that some ppl classify as a villain. i personally believe the Punisher is a hero in his own way and makes his own category. wow-hes a trendsetter o_O

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

Great post.  Question... if you don't care if you live or die and you put yourself into a deadly situation is it still courage?  Or does courage require you to wager something you are afraid to lose?

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By sora_thekey

WOW I liked it!

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mr. Wilson

Thanks guys! 

Red L.A.M.P. here ya go:

courage: mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty

Franks does this so I guess it does count.  lol

Super-Buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Super-Buster

Not sure I agree with your bottom line but this is a well put-together blog. Gratz.

Super-Buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Super-Buster

Just thought of something: what if you did the same thing except substitute "hero" for "villain"? I wonder what score he could have then.

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mr. Wilson
    Super-Buster said:
    "Not sure I agree with your bottom line but this is a well put-together blog. Gratz."

Thanks!  I had to put it in though.  lol
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#10  Edited By gmanfromheck

BTW I mailed out the comics today. 

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mr. Wilson

Wow.  Thank you sir! 

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12  Edited By Roxanne Starr

No wonder you have so many friends, Mr. Wilson!...Boy, you put a lot of work into your posts!

OFF-TOPIC ALERT!!!!

Now I'll ask you directly (since I posted about this on my forum and nobody voiced an opinion)...are YOU at all interested in either DARK REIGN or the new DARK AVENGERS series? The reason I ask is because none of the customers at the comics store had added these titles to their subscriptions.

Rx

morte_rapida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By morte_rapida

Punisher is one of my favorite characters,

He is a hero, I read all his monthly titles.  If you have read a few WAR ZONES or WAR JOURNALS you would see the types of people he kills.  Punisher is a dark disturbed character which is based off a strong sense of realism.

At the end of the day, he kills bad guys, he just circumvents the system.

Kyriakos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Kyriakos

He is a hero. but a really dark hero with a past full of pain.

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15  Edited By Zoom

I'm not convinced the Punisher leaves the world a better place more than half the time.

He's completely willing to kill children if they steal.  That's not heroic.

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mr. Wilson
    Roxanne Starr said:
    "No wonder you have so many friends, Mr. Wilson!...Boy, you put a lot of work into your posts!

OFF-TOPIC ALERT!!!!

Now I'll ask you directly (since I posted about this on my forum and nobody voiced an opinion)...are YOU at all interested in either DARK REIGN or the new DARK AVENGERS series? The reason I ask is because none of the customers at the comics store had added these titles to their subscriptions.

Rx"

lol

Thanks.

I do love almost all the Dark Reign stuff.  I'm surprised more people haven't added new stuff.

Zoom said:
    "I'm not convinced the Punisher leaves the world a better place more than half the time.

He's completely willing to kill children if they steal.  That's not heroic."

If you notice, in one of the MAX issues he was very depressed that he accidentally killed a child so I don't think he'd kill a child for stealing.  Maybe a 17 or 18 year old but not a child.
    Detective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Detective

hes Neither

batpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By batpool

I would like to call him a Heroicbadguy. All one word.

the Vica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By the Vica
    batpool said:
    "I would like to call him a Heroicbadguy. All one word."
    How bout just Anti-Hero? :P

Nice blog though. I'm not THAT into the Punisher, although his reaction to Cap beating his face in was one of the highlights of Civil War for me. I'm sure if I read more of Frank I'd love his character.
    Just L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Just L

i say hes in between

Colossus666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By Colossus666

He kills bad guys.  He rids the marvel universe of evil.  Yup, he is a hero.

albanmanson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By albanmanson

He's a anti hero ...an antihero is a protagonist whose character and goals are antithetical to classical heroism...he kill those who he views as deserving of death.

scorpion123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By scorpion123

i would have to say netrual because he protects the innocent but yet he kills criminals

Storm Rider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Storm Rider
    @Mr. Wilson said:
    "

If this isn't even enough, look at the U.S.  We voted to go at war with the terrorists who destroyed many loved ones and our sense of security on the fateful day of 9/11.  The Punisher's story is not different.  Men took up arms and gunned down his loved ones and he vowed war on all criminals, deciding to punish them.  The U.S. killed people in their war.  So did Punisher.  The U.S. found that terrorism would never be destroyed.  Frank found that crime would never die.   They are exactly the same!  The people we call heroes are the exact same as a person most view as antihero/psycho.  What is the difference?  Nothing. 

"

Let me preface this by asking everyone to look at this argument rationally and not emotionally and to please respond accordingly. This is not a moral valuation, just an observation.

Frank has a strict code of not putting innocent people in harm's way. He only kills the bad guys. His war is very specific: kill bad guys, leave innocents unharmed. A large scale war isn't nearly so discriminate. Some may argue that this would make him a more heroic figure than the people who declare war on entire nations.

The reason some people get uncomfortable about the idea of the vigilante or the anti-hero is because it hits a little close to home if you start to draw comparisons like this. If a lone guy decides on his own to wage war, he's called a psycho. If a leader has popular sentiment on his side, he's called a hero. End result is the same: people die. Is one more moral than the other because it's done in the name of the "greater good"?

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mr. Wilson
    @batpool said:
    "I would like to call him a Heroicbadguy. All one word."

Nice.
    Brit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Brit

For me, Frank never thought of himself as a hero, he just kills the bad guys. With that there will be results: those whom the bad guys hurt are avenged and those that will be hurt are protected.  Plus I agree with batpool: Heroicbadguy!! Lol.

stork101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By stork101

castle is a hero that fights fire with fire plus hes a vietnam vet killing comes easy

Sidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sidney

He a hero he only kills bad people.
    BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

anti-hero. hero and villain at the same time. stops crime and criminals. but kills them which would lean him towards a villain.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#30  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

anti-hero.

Avatar image for deactivated-5af7470263a09
    deactivated-5af7470263a09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how can anyone say frank is a hero? he couldnt care less about innocent people all he wants to do is kill. in comparison with batman or daredevil, who genuinely do care,  
    hes a serial killer, end of the day.  he kills daredevil. he kills thieving children. AND he destroys all of  humanity in punisher:The End.

he gives into his killer instinct, so that he can fight a war foever. nothings said  about protecting the innocent. read punisher born. its all in those pages. 

and thats not a bad thing either. makes him even more interesting if you ask me. 
    Batmanx2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would consider him more of a both tragic and anti hero

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IIRC Marvel themselves have always referred to him as an anti-hero.

Avatar image for frank_castle757
    Frank_Castle757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Frank is the very definition of an anti-hero

Someone who fights for the greater good but uses violent methods which are frowned upon by some.

Not sure why there are a ton of people who hate him just because he kills. It's a refreshing change from the usual goody-goody boyscout heroes who keep throwing the bad guys in jail only for them to inevitably escape and once again harm numerous innocents.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
    deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

Frank is neither. A hero represents the ideals of what society should aim for, that's why many heroes like superman or spider-man refuse to kill, because they want to represent the best of what humanity has to offer. A villain does the opposite. A monster spits at the standards society sets for the people because all they think about is themselves. Frank Castle neither cares for himself nor the standards for society, which puts him in the middle. He only cares about saving the innocent. To him, criminals are vermin who do not deserve to get away with the harm they cause. His mission isn't to change anything, because in the end, no matter how many people he kills, he himself knows that all his efforts are futile. There will always be monsters in this world, but Frank's purpose it to punish, not to exterminate. He doesn't ask people to follow in his footsteps, because he knows all to well that in the end, he'll have to be punished too. Frank's story ends with a bullet to the head.

That's why he's an anti-hero.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.