Follow

Punisher

Character » Punisher appears in 2803 issues.

When U.S. Marine veteran Frank Castle's family's was murdered for witnessing a mob hit, the man vowed to avenge their deaths and became a one-man army in his personal war against the criminal underworld. With a distinct death's head skull adorning his chest, Frank Castle became the vigilante known as the Punisher.

Punisher #12 Review, More FrankenCastle

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    Click To Unmute

Want us to remember this setting for all your devices?

Please use a html5 video capable browser to watch videos.
    This video has an invalid file format.
    00:00:00
    Sorry, but you can't access this content!
    Please enter your date of birth to view this video

By clicking 'enter', you agree to Comic Vine's
    Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

drawme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By drawme

I think that´s a really funny idea and I want to see where thing´s are leading.

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cmaprice

See, I don't get why they made the title the way they did. Why not have it be Frank(en)Castle instead of Franken(Castle)

Seems more logical and makes the pun look a little less forced.

Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Dr. Detfink

See this writer backed himself into a corner. Frank killed his own family, while battling the Hood. He was hacked up and put together...suddenly he goes from the Punisher to the Sulker. Why wouldn't he go after Norman and Daken right away? 

Frank has to take pills to keep his head clear...I wish I could take a pill to help me forget.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i liked it. its weird and refreshingly different.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bruce Vain

Well being a hardcore Punisher fan next to Batman. This just utterly disgusts me of what they're doing to Frank. Yea I love my monsters too but this is just flat out dumb. This is worst than him being an Agent for Heaven or whatever that deal was.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By InnerVenom123

MURDER 

Jake Malcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Jake Malcom

I agree with Vain, i have been a fan of Punisher fan for MANY years.. And finally getting alot of his comics lately from my dad and such i REALLY do not like where this is going. I do not like the idea of bringing him back as a monster like version of himself. As much as i hate to say this is if they were going to kill him, jst kill him. Dont bring him back as a friggin monster it just bastardizes what s as Punisher fans love about the whole series.

That said i do love the art in this, and as a constant fan of Frank im going to contine to buy this comic hoping he comes back as a human.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By goldenkey

it's still stuuuuuupid 
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By goldenkey

How the hell did they sell the idea anyway?  can you imagine the pitch.  "Hey I have and Idea.  Lets have Daken cut Punishers head of then we'll turn him into Frankenstien (It's Frankenshteen) and we'll have run around with the characters from Universal Studios.
    HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#10  Edited By HaloKing343
    @goldenkey said:
    "How the hell did they sell the idea anyway?  can you imagine the pitch.  "Hey I have and Idea.  Lets have Daken cut Punishers head of then we'll turn him into Frankenstien (It's Frankenshteen) and we'll have run around with the characters from Universal Studios. "

That's so funny, but "frank"ly, I don't see how they could have pitched the idea any differently.
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11  Edited By FoxxFireArt

It certainly is a bold step for the comic. When they do something so wildly dramatic. It really makes you wonder about how they pull back from this.

Dark Sandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dark Sandman

Well, I actually was thinking "that's some crazy $#!+" with the first issue, but with this it makes more sense. It did not have any action indeed, but rationalized things a bit. Next issue's crucial. If it's good the concept will become more appealing to hardcore fans. I want the regular flesh-and-blood Punisher back, though. The sooner the better

Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dr. Detfink
    @Bruce Vain: 
    Punisher: Purgatory...oh that was AWFUL. They made the Punisher look like he was someone out of the Last Airbender with a glowing red dot and a half circle. The funny part about that is, Garth Ennis just side stepped that whole mess as if the Punisher never really died...and even more interesting...

If I am not mistaken, Garth Ennis was the one who wrote the Punisher vs. Marvel Universe where Frank thought he escaped and was killing heroes but in reality he was flipping out and was electrocuted.   

They'll have to reboot this series AGAIN at some point. or Just end it keeping the Punisher MAX going.
    hungup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hungup

This is the dumbest idea they could have pushed onto the Punisher. Why didn't they just try to buy the rights to frankenstein!?!?! 

BOOOOOO to FrankenCastle

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15  Edited By DMC

Your right GMan, it was an okay issue. 

I still love this concept of Punisher an abomination. But I don't necessarily want him hanging out with monsters forever. @Dr. Detfink said:

" See this writer backed himself into a corner. Frank killed his own family, while battling the Hood. He was hacked up and put together...suddenly he goes from the Punisher to the Sulker. Why wouldn't he go after Norman and Daken right away?   Frank has to take pills to keep his head clear...I wish I could take a pill to help me forget. "
    He is going to have a rematch with Daken. Remender mentioned it in an article on CBR or Newsarama. It's gonna be the 4rth story arch I think
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bruce Vain
    @Dr. Detfink said:
    " @Bruce Vain:  Punisher: Purgatory...oh that was AWFUL. They made the Punisher look like he was someone out of the Last Airbender with a glowing red dot and a half circle. The funny part about that is, Garth Ennis just side stepped that whole mess as if the Punisher never really died...and even more interesting...  If I am not mistaken, Garth Ennis was the one who wrote the Punisher vs. Marvel Universe where Frank thought he escaped and was killing heroes but in reality he was flipping out and was electrocuted.     They'll have to reboot this series AGAIN at some point. or Just end it keeping the Punisher MAX going. "

God that whole ordeal left a terrible stain in my mind. But that wasn't half as bad as what they're doing to him now. I don't know why they oked this idea. It seems to me that only Garth truly understands the character when he brought back on Marvel Knights and MAX. Yes Garth did the Punisher Kills The Marvel Universe - my personal favorite elseworld story. But actually the ending was after he shot DD & saw that it was Murdock . Who was trying to help him not knowing he was actually DD. Frank took his gun and put it under his chin right before pulling the trigger. Saying there's one more super left .
    Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dr. Detfink
    @DMC: Yes, I know Remender is doing the obligatory re-match but some 3 months and $9 later. That's too much of a money side detour to add some chuckles to the Punisher book. IF you've read Ed Brubaker's Incognito, you can see you can if you want to put a consistent crime story out there with super powers. I just don't understand why something like Captain America which is harder to write than any one cares to admit can be so great...and this is a gimmick title. When Remender brought back some of the B and C villains killed by the Scourge, I thought "Wow this is great!" but then it dragged out 3 more issues for no reason whatsoever. 

And that's the issue, the issue is if you're a Punisher fan collecting single issues you're going to have to spend another $9-18-27 till Remender gets it out of his system and remembers, "Wow, this is as lame as when Frank was made into an African American! (Punisher #60-62 volume 1 unlimited). 

I keep hearing people say, "Well this is a new direction..." No its not...um, the character Deathlock?  Y'see my lovelies, don't rely on shock factor it often fails to pay off (looking @ you Bendis)

The Punisher is a villain. If you want to make a book about vigilantes, then you have to create moments where you're not sure who you hate more the villain or the anti-hero? I would imagine the Punisher to be a Eli Roth movie full of moments of torture and abuse to get a villain higher up on the food chain. 
    Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Green ankh

i was never a big fan of the Punisher. But i am interested in this. It looks great but i cant decide if it is going to stay in my pull.

Avatar image for bloodstonefreak
    Bloodstonefreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Bloodstonefreak

I'm really curious to see where this story is going.  The red stone shard that Morbius has reminds me of the Bloodgem, especially with them bolding the words BLOOD and STONE in the dialogue.  I'm wondering if that "obscure character" that the new villain is tied to is Ulysses Bloodstone.  Keeping my fingers crossed and am definitely looking to read the next issue to see what happens.

Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Marshal Victory

artwork seems imho to have a Bernie Wrightson feel .so is the old max trades an hardbacks worth geting then?not read punisher since ohwar zone 13 i think.
    Storm Rider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Storm Rider

I've been a Punisher fan for a long time, and of course I think this is utter garbage. I can't even imagine how non-fans of the character can think this is good. Even without the natural bias against the idea I thought the dialogue was corny and a lot of the situations were just ridiculous. For the sake of disclosure, there's no way I'm buying this book; I read through it at the shop and left it (as with issue 11). Paying for this, like it or not, is casting a positive dollar vote Marvel's way and I will not support their silly ideas with my money any more. 

Avatar image for ravaginghamster
    RavagingHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RavagingHamster

hmmmm...seems more interestng now...

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By goldenkey
    @HaloKing343 said:
    "@goldenkey said:
    "How the hell did they sell the idea anyway?  can you imagine the pitch.  "Hey I have and Idea.  Lets have Daken cut Punishers head of then we'll turn him into Frankenstien (It's Frankenshteen) and we'll have run around with the characters from Universal Studios. "
    That's so funny, but "frank"ly, I don't see how they could have pitched the idea any differently. "

why pitch it at all?  Come on Franken Castle?
    Blackestnight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Blackestnight1

I'm hoping the monster hunting stint is short and maybe that anti-venom with his healing powers can bring Frank back to normal Frank and maybe THEN Punisher will finally trust him. A few issues with mosters is fine by me. I miss Morbious and Blade etc. But Punisher can't stay this way. Still if he went to Monster Island let's say, and took out some monsters/monster killers this could turn out as a neat way of creating some powerful monster allies who could in the future join Frank in the fight against Osborne.

Avatar image for theblaquebasterd
    THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By THEBlaqueBasterd

FrankenCastle? Jesus.. Am I the only one who thinks this is REALLY stupid lame & pointless?

King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By King Quisling

This was a brave new concept for a Punisher story. You have to give Remender credit for that. Over all I enjoyed this issue, the one problem being it felt like it ended too soon. 

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Media_Master

Sounds like something Tim Burton would do to the Punisher.

Avatar image for deactivated-5af7470263a09
    deactivated-5af7470263a09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@THEBlaqueBasterd:
    No your not. 

I want my psychotic killing machine back. Rick Remender broke him.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By Caligula

I haven't read any of the Franken Castle stuff, mostly because I don't really care one way or the other about the Punisher, or the Punisher's universe.  

But I gotta be honest, the awesome artwork here makes me wanna check this one out. 
    But the last time I read the Punisher, was when he and Cuda were first going at it, so yeah it's been awhile for me.
    Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mr. Wilson

Awesome!  Go Rick and Tony for trying something new!  And its Great! You wnat street go to max!
    bringdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bringdeath
    @Bruce Vain said:
    "Well being a hardcore Punisher fan next to Batman. This just utterly disgusts me of what they're doing to Frank. Yea I love my monsters too but this is just flat out dumb. This is worst than him being an Agent for Heaven or whatever that deal was. "

preach brother

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.