Follow

Punisher

Character » Punisher appears in 2804 issues.

When U.S. Marine veteran Frank Castle's family's was murdered for witnessing a mob hit, the man vowed to avenge their deaths and became a one-man army in his personal war against the criminal underworld. With a distinct death's head skull adorning his chest, Frank Castle became the vigilante known as the Punisher.

Punisher #11 Review: Get Ready For FrankenCastle!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Here we go, FrankenCastle.  Is there any way this will work?  The Punisher was sliced and diced by Daken in Dark Reign: The List - Punisher.  I really wasn't sure what to think when I first heard about this.  Let's have a look and see if it's any good.

I have to admit, I liked this.  I'm not completely sold.  I will be back for issue #12 to see where this will go.  Perhaps it's because the Punisher isn't at the top of my list of favorites, I'm okay with this...for now.  I want to see how thought out this is.  How far can they go with this?  How can they ever change FrankenCastle back to plain old Frank Castle?

Rick Remender does a good job here setting things up.  I'm hoping we won't just have Frank hanging out on Monster Island.  From what I've seen for the upcoming issues, it doesn't look like that will be the case.  I'm really digging Tony Moore's art the more I see it (check out this week's Victorian Undead from Wildstorm).  I'm curious what others will think.  I'm really curious what the die-hard Punisher fans will have to say.

The bigger question could be what will Norman Osborn, Daken and the rest of the Marvel Universe think?
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By danhimself

honestly?  I thought this issue was one of the worst books that I've read in a long time.  It just seemed so corny compared to the last arc and The List Issue 

I've never been a big fan of the Punisher but he was starting to grow on me with this new series but after this issue I'm seriously thinking about dropping this series

Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Grendel

I really liked the initial arc Remender wrote (And it had some spiffy art).

But this won't work.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By InnerVenom123

Oh yay! Let's try to fix something that ain't broke! What a GREAT IDEA Marvel! I mean, really, you guys are GENIUS at this sorta thing! 

-_- 

(And if anyone tries that "Oh, lets see you do better" thing, I actually plan on writing comics and have a plan to make it happen, so HA :P)
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Media_Master

It kinda makes sense that Frank would eventually die, but coming back as a FrankenCastle, well... I have to read it to judge it properly.

raidenexe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By raidenexe

G-Man, were you trying to make FrankenCastle sound like Sylvester Stallone?
    jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6  Edited By jamesewelch

I'm a big Punisher fan (since early 90s when I got into comics) and I'm not fond of the Frankencastle idea. I think Marvel can do whatever they want, but it's just not something I'm going to buy. I'll trick myself into thinking that Frank really died at the hands of Daken and wait until they reboot Frank in the future before picking up the Punisher series again.  I skimmed over #11 and the story seemed okay, but I'd rather just have Marvel invent a new Dr Frankenstein's monster and make a title dedicated to monster genre stuff. I don't think it's a bad book, but I think they jumped the shark with Frank again.

Punishermax #1 came out a week prior to The Punisher #11, so for any die-hard Punisher fans, I'm betting they'll just jump over to Punishermax. If the die-hards haven't jumped over to Punishermax, then they should check it out at their LCS. Punishermax just rebooted and issue #1 was last week, so it's a great jumping on point. (Note: That's what I did. I canceled my pull for The Punisher and added Punishermax at my LCS.)

The attraction to Punisher has always been that he's a normal (non-superpowered) guy who's flipped out. He doesn't have any super powers, just technology and motivation. He's always been out matched by the super-villains, but he has a desire/hatred that drives him. He's an underdog who comes out on top sometimes. He's like an anti-hero Nick Fury without government or superhero support, but I don't know why Marvel can't find a good spot for him in the Marvel universe. Maybe they should have just let the 616 Punisher die and end the series after The List.  Marvel could have had Frank injected with Super-Soldier serum and started a new story arc, which I think would have been a much better and more fitting story arc.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Decept-O

Is it just me or is Marvel trying to integrate ideas that should be in the "What If?" line of their books into their regular titles?   

G-Man, you were chuckling at the start of this review and I truly thought you weren't going to be able to maintain your composure.  I am totally surprised you gave this such a high rating.   

As a "What If?" story, this would be frikkin' awesome.  As part of the "regular" Punisher series, man, I just don't know.  Not that I'm buying Punisher anyway but still, this is just a bit too much.   

Dog crap isn't the only thing you should be smelling Frank.   I'm smelling something...something that smells......

Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Agent Buttons
    i'm with dan on this one
    thiagofonseca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thiagofonseca

relax. mephisto will turn him back to normal when sales drop.

King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By King Quisling

I love it! :D

Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Marshal Victory

theirs a easy way to undo frankin castle. 
    simple an almost makes sence well as much sence as the MU can make.frank an daken fight sure did casue alota blood loss on both side.. an daken hes on them their muntants an he has a healing factor to. so could dakens blood give frank a healing factor an over time he regens outa the frankencatle ? 

naw that would be to easy right? 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Monster's have feelings too.

Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kid_Zombie

Ok, I don't read a lot of Punisher although i am a fan of the character, I read a few recent issues and i dug them a lot, enough to concider picking up the dark reign punisher series but then i heard this news about them making him into a frankenstein ( my favorite monster by the way) but i couldn't get behind this and put me off from picking up his series. Is this supposed to be a joke? Not trying to sound mean, but seriously is this now a comedy series? or are they taking this completly seriously? I'm so confused with this direction, im just not sure what to make of it.  But in a world of clones healing factors and alternate realities it is possible to get the original frank back. 
    Remeber that stint of him being a demon who shot fire from his guns? so this isnt the first time hes been a monster and returned. Hell maybe he will make a deal with the devil and change back, but that would just be to easy......cough cough.

Pez85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pez85

G-Man, I'm SOOOOO glad that you had Monster Mash playing in the background. That's the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the promo for Franken Castle. If you do any more Punisher reviews (which you said you would), please....PLEASE continue playing Monster Mash in the background. I would be forever grateful.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @raidenexe: It wasn't my original intention. I noticed it when I was editing and actually laughed at myself.  Guess this is what happens when you don't script out these videos.

@Decept-O: Yeah, there was some chuckling.  This is such an absurd idea, I think that's why I like it.  Who would have thought Marvel would have the ba...guts to actually do something like this.  It's so crazy that it might work. 

The reality of it is, I don't think this is a permanent thing.  Just like when Spider-Man switch to his black costume (and also becoming a clone) or Hulk turned gray or Bruce Wayne getting his back broken or...Thor turning into a frog.  There are some things that will always revert back to the status quo.  I see this as entertainment and I will read and enjoy the stories if they are well written.  The main thing I liked here was the art.  I mentioned that, for me, the deciding factor will be the next issue.  I do think this is a bold move and I'm going to love seeing how Marvel backs out of making this permanent.  Am I in favor of FrankenCastle staying around?  No.  But I did dig the classic 'monster' stories as a kid so we'll see how this goes.
    DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16  Edited By DMC

I'm definately giving this a chance, though I'm not all that crazy about the art.  

Can't wait for the rematch with Daken
    Xion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Xion

Last time i remember, Monster Island was the home of Godzilla, Anguirus and Minilla :P

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#18  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

The Punisher is turning into Deadpool....

Silverwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Silverwolf

Dumb. 
    I've always thought that The Punisher was sort of a douche, but this thing they've done there is just... dumb. 
    Quit being dumb.

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

I like the art too.  I'll read this tomorrow.  G-Man you are truly funny in this video.

Avatar image for kevinthegamer94
    kevinthegamer94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kevinthegamer94

I thought it was gonna play out with norman collecting the parts rebuilding frank and then using him as some secret weapon hero hunter thing IDK
    point of post : Marvel just took a few weird ideas tossed them in a blender and hoped whatever came out was drinkable without inducing uncontrollable vomiting. 

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Vance Astro:
    In the sense that his face scares small children, or that he's being overused?
    Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#23  Edited By Green ankh

I was totally not interested in this. But at my shop i pucked up the issue to page through. And Art blew me away. I bought not careing if it was stupid. I did enjoy it. But i can't help thinking WTF. As G-MAN thinks i'll get the next issue to see how i feel.  
    I have only read Punisher when Ennis and Dillion did the title so this is a change. But right now it is the art has me looking.  
    And i got the Punishermax so the "real" Punisher is still with us.
    Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
    Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I really like this Frankencastle idea and this issue makes me think Punisher will become a much more interesting character.  Rick Remmender is an awesome writer--both here and in that Thunderbolts issue.  How is the Doctor Voodoo series??
    Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By The Devil Tiger

I'm almost with G-man on this : so dumb that it could work...or not ! 

G-Man has said the truth : the punisher story was getting oooold (I find the bad guy, and I kill him...) so change is not all bad  for a while...
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#26  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @Vance Astro: In the sense that his face scares small children, or that he's being overused? "
    In the sense that his book has become a joke and nothing he does from here on end will be important or serious. 

@The Devil Tiger said:
    " I'm almost with G-man on this : so dumb that it could work...or not !  G-Man has said the truth : the punisher story was getting oooold (I find the bad guy, and I kill him...) so change is not all bad  for a while... "
    That's what I thought until I read the first issue.This is a idea with potential that will poorly executed.It's starting to become Marvel's standard if your not Wolverine or Spider-Man.
    NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NXH

Awful!!. What the hell Marvel??!! *hands in head*
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By goldenkey

stuuuupid
    Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#29  Edited By Dr. Detfink
    @danhimself: Any one care to guess this goes till Frank becomes almost Robo-Punisher and hunts Norman down? Course never kills him but enough for Frank to get some kind of revenge in his monster body.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Vance Astro:
    I'm pretty sure he's NEVER done anything important. At least, nothing that gets him involved with the rest of the Marvel U. Besides, Deadpool's supposed to be funny, and I LOVE Way's writing. But to each their own, I suppose :D
    Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#31  Edited By Dr. Detfink

Ok, finally my two cents:

$0.01: I see the problem that Remender is addressing. He wants to bring the Punisher out of limitations of an ordinary man deranged by his loss. It's been done before. Who remembers when they made the Punisher into a black man? Talk about visions of the movie Soul Man. Then they killed the Punisher (BTW that was written by Garth Ennis). Brought him back as a undead Boogy man with Angel powered weapons. That didn't last long at all either. 

$0.02: The problem I have, this is a half ass attempt to retro Marvel's horror titles from the late 60s-70s. Tomb of Dracula, Werewolf, Man-Thing, Mummy, etc were amazing titles. The story-telling was leaps and bounds better than a lot of titles today. I got a problem with Morbius and his monster squad acting so unlike themselves. I wouldn't put it past Morbius to create Franken-Castle but he's also a very unstable guy who isn't all there. Keep that about his character. Really create a homage to these great characters. These monsters are so powerful they don't need saving to be honest. 

If I did the re-make: Why not have Frank's body parts stored until in the future, someone re-animates him in a apocalyptic future? Not only can you have all the same kind of fun but its Frank in a dystopian future and when he leaves back to his time in a new body (cause we know its not permanent) the concept serves as a blue print for Deathlok. I mean, if you're going to deconstruct the Punisher, take him all the way out of his element. 

One thing about Remender, he always likes that sniveling side kick whether it be one of the Hood's cronies or Frank's sidekick or Morbius who is a coward (again, huh?)...I hope he cuts that out as his writing crutch.

SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23
    @reaper2923 said:
    " Monster's have feelings too. "
    Yeah that is true.  I wonder if they are going to change him back
    brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By brc2000

They'll have to eventually change it back, I like Frank as a non-powered human with high-tech weapons. Marvel has enough of characters with super-powers and power-suits. Maybe he'll make a deal with The Hood or someone to change him back.

I liked the series so far, so I'll stick with this and see how far it goes.

Riding Ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Riding Ghost
    @Dr. Detfink said:

Tomb of Dracula, Werewolf, Man-Thing, Mummy, etc were amazing titles. The story-telling was leaps and bounds better than a lot of titles today. I got a problem with Morbius and his monster squad acting so unlike themselves.

I have to echo that. The only reason I'm picking up Punisher is because of this storyline, and though its off to a good start, the monsters do seem a bit out of character. Almost like when someone tries to take a dark violent movie and turn it into a cartoon. Like Rambo back in the 80s..It just feels off somehow. LOVE the art though and I'll be reading throughout the 6-7 issue arc or whatever it is, at least till the human Punisher comes back. Hell, I'm just glad the book is still $2.99 (that sounds so weird, being happy a book is ONLY 2.99, CHEAP!)  Although the apocalyptic future storyline sounds great, (and you even included another monster, Deathlok, so I'd buy it..lol) it might be a little too soon after Old Man Logan unless you tied it in somehow, was Punisher mentioned in there? I cant remember..love the idea though..wouldnt even need much of a remake other than a few small changes. You could still have the Legion of Monsters/Midnight Sons resurrect him, just be much much later :)

RG
    colonel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By colonel

It takes alot but i gotta be honest, i`m scared of what there doing to the Punisher right now with the whole Frankencastle stuff, he`s one of my long standing favourite characters
    Dark Sandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Dark Sandman

This story arc is not innovative. It's crap! Punisher's a monster. Wow. Frank has been the most ass-kicking character of Marvel. First he gets chopped by Daken and now this? It's too much for me (and I'm a die-very-hard Punisher fan). I hope they can take him to normal. I agree with G-man that the "angelic killer" stuff was also crap. And I like Tony Moore's art. But not in this comic book. It's supposed to be dark and gloomy and he can do that, but not in this occasion. Maybe it's all Remender's fault. 

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @Dark Sandman: I think that's why I can be okay with it (for now).  I do like the Punisher but I'm not the biggest Punisher fan.  I think it was Decept-o that said this would be a good "What IF" story.  I could easily see myself jumping ship after the next issue or two.  Now if this was a character I really really liked, I'd probably feel a lot differently.  I just believe that eventually, somehow, everything will return to normal.
    jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38  Edited By jamesewelch
    @G-Man said:

" @Dark Sandman: I think that's why I can be okay with it (for now).  I do like the Punisher but I'm not the biggest Punisher fan.  I think it was Decept-o that said this would be a good "What IF" story.  I could easily see myself jumping ship after the next issue or two.  Now if this was a character I really really liked, I'd probably feel a lot differently.  I just believe that eventually, somehow, everything will return to normal. "

I just saw that #11 sold out and Marvel will be doing a 2nd print. I hope that Marvel doesn't run into a problem around issue #13-14, because by then those who picked it up for the newness/coolness won't be picking it up any more and the die-hard Punisher fans will have already jumped ship. If they calculate their upcoming sales figures on #11 and over-print 12, 13, etc. then they might be a bit disappointed. I think that I would have bought a "What If" book(s) of this story arc.
    drawme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By drawme

Hilarious.

Roninidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Roninidas

I got to say No No and Hell No!  LOL!  I am amazed that they green lit this?  When I was first told about it, I thought someone was just effing with me.  I really would have paid to be a fly in the wall during that pitch movie.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.