Follow

Punisher

Character » Punisher appears in 2803 issues.

When U.S. Marine veteran Frank Castle's family's was murdered for witnessing a mob hit, the man vowed to avenge their deaths and became a one-man army in his personal war against the criminal underworld. With a distinct death's head skull adorning his chest, Frank Castle became the vigilante known as the Punisher.

Off My Mind: Punisher Returns, Why It's Not a Surprise

• 101 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    Frank Castle, the Punisher was sliced to pieces by Wolverine's son, Daken and returned as the monstrous FrankenCastle. This move outraged fans of the character. They felt it was a huge insult to everything he was.  Personally, I found the change interesting and could live with it for one reason, I knew it wouldn't last forever

Every once in a while, we'll see a character go through a major change. Sometimes the changes are cool and work. Other times we're left wondering what editorial is thinking. In my years of reading comics, I've seen some crazy things. We are talking comic books after all. The main thing to keep in mind is, major changes will rarely stick with established characters. Not even death is permanent and that's a pretty major change to a character. While I understand why Punisher fans were angry, it should have been clear that old Frank Castle would return someday. And that day will be in November. Sort of. 
     == TEASER == 
    No Caption Provided
    We've actually already seen the return of Frank Castle. In Shadowland #1, a regular-looking Punisher was seen in one panel. There's also the fact that Marvel has continued putting out regular Punisher books (like Punisher Max and other miniseries). I say this is just like when characters are killed and return later (Superman, Captain America, Batman, etc) or when their trademark look is radically altered (Superman Blue, Spider-Man's symbiote suit, Wonder Woman's new costume).  

I don't look at FrankenCastle as a gimmick. It was a story that was most likely planned out completely. It was a gamble but Marvel and Rick Remender knew what they were doing. I applaud Marvel on making a bold move like this. They had to know it would incur the wrath of Punisher fans. They even went so far as to rename the (really good) Punisher series as "FrankenCastle." In November, Marvel (and Rick Remender) will give us the return of Frank Castle in a five issue miniseries, Punisher: In The Blood

My advice to you, if you experience something crazy involving one of your favorite characters, just relax. If they have a rich history, you could probably bet that things will eventually return to the status quo. I'm sure there are some examples of big changes actually sticking (like Dick Grayson giving up being Robin), but if you drastically change what makes a character who they are, simply put, the readers won't stand for it. Readers are the ones buying the books. If they make themselves heard and stop buying what they don't agree with, the publishers will have to listen. For something like FrankenCastle, it was a fun ride. I glad Remender was allowed to take the character to a place we hadn't seen before. I am still curious to see how he makes his full recovery though.
    gunjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gunjin

while i agree changes are good, why even try them on iconic characters if they're not going to stick? i thought frankencastle was a joke when i first heard about it and didn't actually read any of it. was it any good at all or did it go about as well as angel punisher? again i like changes, just make some lasting ones comic companies.

cold_fuzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By cold_fuzion

Spin the wheel of comic 'fix-all' tropes:

Clone!

We have a winner!

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Magian

For me it depends on the change. For example the thing with Dick Grayson you mentioned was something inevitable. He couldn't stay Robin forever. But about changes, my question about them is why make them if things will eventually return to normal? But I'm also curious to see how he will return.

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dondasch

I am personally glad to see the FrankenCastle idea over as it was horrible to me.  Looking forward to this new series.  

@Gman  I'll say this, in regards to the idea of relaxing about changes made to major characters.  I certainly, wholeheartedly hope you are right given what is occurring with Wonder Woman

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By DanialCarroll

I like when things are stirred up a little. I prevents stories/characters from becoming stale. I'm a big Hulk fan, and although I wasn't too fussed on Planet Hulk, I like what it has lead to, so in the end, the shake-up was worth it.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By longbowhunter

I didnt buy the regular Punisher title or its later incarnation FrankenCastle, so it was really no sweat off of my balls. Punisher Max has always been the only way for me to get my fix.
    Avatar image for amazingspidermike
    AmazingSpiderMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AmazingSpiderMike

I love it when people actually know what they are talking about, once again great job, G-Man.

brownsugar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By brownsugar

I think comic fanboys are a a bit of a curse on the industry for this very reason. You asked why they bother making crazy gimmicky changes that arent gonna last. The reason is because those are the only stories they have left to tell. For the most part comic book writers have told just about every story there is left to tell about all the good characters. The problem is that in order to continue telling good compelling stories, they need to be allowed to let the characters actually grow over periods of time, Physically, emotionally and figuratively. Unfortunately this would mean in the long run major character and plot changes that actually stick. something fanboys would outrage about.

SirSparkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SirSparkington

Honestly I think they should should have just left Punisher dead. His was so well written and was a great send off for the character. He died fighting the corruption of Norman Osborne and went through hell because of Osborne. Everything about his death was so well done.

ZORN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By ZORN

I loved Fraken Castle if I wanted a human Frank I would  read Punisher Max, I mean in Franken Castle he rode a dragon while using a mini gun for crying out loud, that was awesome.

Blackestnight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Blackestnight1

I liked Franken Castle too. I was hoping it was cross over into blade and vampire xmen to get an interesting mix up.

Avatar image for bloodstonefreak
    Bloodstonefreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bloodstonefreak

I'm nowhere near a hardcore Punisher fan.  I know enough to get me by and that's about it.  I started reading the Punisher stuff with The List one-shot where he was killed.  I've really enjoyed it.  Granted, there was a reason I started reading the stuff:  as my username implies, I'm a HUGE Bloodstone fan and this "Franken-Castle" arc had the bloodstone (or Bloodgem) return to the pages of a high profile Marvel comic after about 20 years of being lost in obscurity (the last time it appeared in a major comic was Captain America #357-362 which was called The Bloodstone Hunt).

This was just another phase in the life of the Punisher, it had to end at sometime (just like G-Man said).  Being a comic fan means we have to suck it up and take the bad stories until the great ones return (which sucks, yes, but it's bound to happen).  It was a good ride and hopefully now the Punisher fans will be happy.  :-)

Avatar image for ironspidy_rooney
    IronSpidy-Rooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By IronSpidy-Rooney

I'v been very interested in the Punishers change into Frankin castle 
    Thats why I'm going to get the Frankin-castle trade which collects the whole thing from Punisher the list to Punishment 
    This will be my first Punisher trade so hopefully the interest I have will be enough for me to like it  

Alphaproto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Alphaproto

There should be a rule. Kill a character and they should stay gone for at least two years.
    Crazy Pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By Crazy Pan

I think they only keep bringing them back because the fans make such a hissy fit about their deaths. I mean someone else on here said that there should be a 2 year dead rule, I agree with that. It gives fans time to throw hissy fits, calm down a bit, then accept it, then get SUPER hyped by the time they come back.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Caligula

I loved Fraken Castle

Joey Ravn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Joey Ravn

Is it just me, or Marvel nowadays backtracks every few months? Most of the huge changes that stemmed from Civil War, Secret Invasion and Dark Reign are being restored to the previous status quo. Steve Rogers is back, no one knows who Spider-Man is, Frank Castle is back in his old self, Iron Man is again essentially "good" thanks to a pretty useful mind-wipe... 

Yeah, major events sell, but at least try to stick to what they change for a bit longer than a couple months. Barry Allen spent 25 years in Limbo before coming back, Frank Castle only 6 months... Comic book publishers are wasting a good opportunity to explore new alternatives for a character just to make a quick buck and keep everyone mildly satisfied.

SupremoMaximo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By SupremoMaximo

I saw Mephisto pays a visit to Franken Castle and asks for one more day from him. 

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Magian

One possible way for him to return would be to clone him and transfer his consiousness into his new body. Just a guess.

N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By N7_Normandy
    @AmazingSpiderMike said:
    " I love it when people actually know what they are talking about, once again great job, G-Man. "
    sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sparty-dbq

Looks like it's happening exactly as I predicted it would.  Frank still looks like he's "stitched together" but it's now in a more basic human form and not the monstrous look of FrankenCastle.  No more tubes, no more giant battery packs, no more wheel thingy at his shoulder joint.
    Gennadius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gennadius

I really hated it when he turned into franken-castle but when I saw him fight daken I actually really liked him with super-strenght,and a healing factor. 
    But its good to see him being not-superpowered because thats why I liked him in the first place.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hamz

"...but if you drastically change what makes a character who they are, simply put, the readers won't stand for it."  

I'm still waiting on Joe Quesada to apologise for the horror inflicted upon Spider-Man fans with OMD and now OMiT as well. Make him do it G-Man!
    G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By G'bandit

I like FrankenCastle 

batmanboy11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#25  Edited By batmanboy11

I'm glad that Frank's coming back.
    BenB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BenB

Is there really going to be any way that Frank returns to his normal state that won't be a goofy/cheesy/dumb as being a reanimated corpse? Leave the "true life" Punisher to the MAX title and have some fun with Frank, because he is never going to have fun by himself.

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cmaprice

I feel like Frankencastle would have been an interesting alternate universe story. That way, they could really go balls-to-the-wall with it and not have to inexplicably but inevitably return him to the status quo within a year.

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28  Edited By Zoom

Your advice does not apply to fans of Roy Harper...or any Titan.
    MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#29  Edited By MTHarman

Maybe the reason why people continue buying a comic that may look crappy is for reasons of maybe hope or change of thought about what they would label as horrible. 

Here's a fact, most fans dislike hating Marvel. I dont find comfort in hating Siege#4 or Franken-castle.

Yeah, we will continue to buy a series or an event of a comic so that we the fans could find possibly some form of entertainment, yes, we are the dummys who continue buying that predictable comic and continue being butt-hurt about it, so what. 
    Because if we stop buying a comic, Marvel would never learn from anything despite how cruel and mean we are about it. If we just stop buying a comic, that won't do anything, just raise another or the same issue again with another awesome character or series.  
    They heard about the Red Hulk when arrogant fans continue to buy Loebs comics and shared their personal opinions. Now Red Hulk isn't in Loebs hands anymore, thank god.  
    We are nerds dammit, full fledged nerds that gives Marvel the gasoline to continue running and would find entertainment as we share our personal opinion about a crappy comic, rather if its good or bad. 
    So the question is (again), why would anybody care about what nerds write if they disagree when it could just simply be ignored?     

jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jamesewelch
    @SirSparkington said:
    " Honestly I think they should should have just left Punisher dead. His was so well written and was a great send off for the character. He died fighting the corruption of Norman Osborne and went through hell because of Osborne. Everything about his death was so well done. "
    Agreed.

@G-Man:
    I'm more interested in knowing if Marvel really cut the story arc down. Remender had mentioned several times that Frankencastle was here to stay for at least 2 years and that there were many more Frankencastle stories coming and that it wasn't just a temporary thing. Remender also loved calling those readers who weren't buying the book "stupid" (and worse). I'd love to hear what happened between the editors, marketing/sales, and Remender that caused them return him to Frank. 

I don't think the sales of Punisher are going to go back up after he returns to normal. I think they'll need to stop the title, wait a few months to a year, then get a new fresh team on a new Punisher title in order for the sales to be good.

And I think some changes are different from other changes. For example, characters growing up and turning into new characters doesn't change their underlying character. They just get a new costume. Same thing with costume changes - that's not that big of a deal. Turning Spider-man into a vampire (without any signs of turning him back) would generate the same amount of negative feedback that turning Frank into a monster did.
    Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By Silkcuts
    @Zoom said:
    " Your advice does not apply to fans of Roy Harper...or any Titan. "
    They Titan's are lucky they get to grow as people.  I love the fact that some have stayed dead, some have moved on and some became older and wiser people.
    Druid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Druid

I don't sit back and relax when a title or character turns to crap because of bad writing. I shake my fist in the air, screaming out the name of the writer 'Wrath of Khan' style, "Remender!!!" Then I stop wasting my money on that comic until the pathetic storyline (such as Frankencastle) finishes, in hopes that the next story arc will be better...

Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mumbles

franken castle was a bad dream.....that's how i'll remember it

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#34  Edited By The Lobster

I didn't like Franken Castle for one reason. 

It wasn't who the Punisher is. 

What makes the Punisher so interesting his that he is a regular guy, who can stand toe to toe with some of Marvel's heavy hitters. Also his stories are very realistic in tone, and his origin is very realistic as well. Anybody would become the Punisher if what happened to him, happened to them. If your family was killed my mobsters in front of you, you'd want revenge too. 

By giving him Superpowers, all your doing is ruining what makes Punisher cool. The fact he doesn't have super powers is what makes Punisher cool. He's an ORDINARY man, with some skills. Take that away and he's just another superhero looking for revenge.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By goldenkey

Let me ask the readers this.  If Frank was brought back the same way, only he didn't actually look like Frankenstein, he was just his normal body parts out together and he resembled this would the readers care as much.  Punisher  sewed together?

Kyle Cumsagen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Kyle Cumsagen

This storyline blew, case closed.
    wolfman54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By wolfman54

Only thing i liked about Frankencastle was the Legion of Monsters, plus it is good to see him kick the crap out of Daken. But when Daken killed him i thought it was a good believable death it was violent and mind blowing, yet it gave closure since Daken said Frank looked happy. But i knew he would be back!
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Eyz

Ha! I knew it! You knew it! Everybody knew it!
    So why did they do it in the first place? 
    Boosting sales and creating a buzz? Trying new ideas?
    Probably a bit of both :P

Anyway, characters could die in comics, if
    a) they would allow time to normally move on
    b) use simply parallel stories/mini series to tell adventures of the original characters before dying and NOT bringing them back in the main "universe".

00 Raiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By 00 Raiser

Am I the only one who thinks the Punisher is a lame character
    BKole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#40  Edited By BKole

Is it possible that this isn't actually the end of Frankencastle, and it's actually just another transition phase? I mean, it's called "In the Blood" and Frankencastle had the Bloodstone inside of him, healing him. It's a Bloodstone. In the Blood. Is there a correlation here?

SnottyCane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SnottyCane
    @Eyz:

you could simply put it down as a odd story line
    Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By Duo_forbidden

This article reminds me of Brand New Day when the world don't remember who Spider-man was, MJ and Peter never got married and Peter lost his abilities he got in The Other and from the Queen. Out of all the things that happened, losing his powers from the Queen and The Other was the only change I didn't like (Hopefully, they will explain this in the current arc). Brand New Day had some issues that were meh, but overall, there were a lot of issues that were pretty interesting. 

Now, I'm not really a huge Punisher fan, and I've never read FrankenCastle, but it does seem like both a weird and interesting idea.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DEGRAAF

i actually liked frankencastle more then i like Frank Castle. It made more sense to me. Yea he was Frankenstein but atleast they could jsutify him goin up against big names like Daken.
    RedHurricane24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#44  Edited By RedHurricane24

No pun intended, but Welcome Back Frank.

ZORN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ZORN

OK why are some people welcoming Frank back or acting like he left to begin with?I mean Franken Castle was still Frank Castle.

jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jamesewelch
    @ComicMan24: They already established a plot device in the beginning of Frankencastle. They are going to use the Bloodstone to convert him back.
    ForbushBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ForbushBug

I think I would've gotten into it more if the gun-toting Frankenstein schtick hadn't already been established by Morrison.

jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jamesewelch
    @ZORN:  It's a play on words. Welcome Back, Frank was popular Punisher story arc by Garth Ennis (who most Punisher fans was the best writer).
    Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By Chaos Burn

THANK GOD

ZORN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ZORN
    @jamesewelch : I understand that, but  some people make it sound like Franken Castle and Frank Castle are different people, or maybe that is just the fb page.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.