Follow

Punisher

Character » Punisher appears in 2803 issues.

When U.S. Marine veteran Frank Castle's family's was murdered for witnessing a mob hit, the man vowed to avenge their deaths and became a one-man army in his personal war against the criminal underworld. With a distinct death's head skull adorning his chest, Frank Castle became the vigilante known as the Punisher.

Off My Mind: FrankenCastle's Story Is Not Over

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    FrankenCastle has been on the scene since Punisher #11. I've heard some people like the new direction and others aren't too sure. I can understand the die hard Punisher fans being upset over the change in the character. I've always liked the Punisher but I've been okay with the change. From the first issue, I said this was a bold move on Marvel's part. They've taken a well known character and have completely changed him. They know the risks they're taking. They know how upset the fans can get. I just see it as re-inventing the Punisher.

Why has the Punisher been 'cool' all these years? He's a no-nonsense dude that simply wants to punish the bad guys. He takes the law into his own hands and has shown over and over that he has what it takes to survive this one man war against crime. While it's been great and all, has the Punisher changed at all over the years? Has his character been given a chance to evolve? With the FrankenCastle story, Rick Remender has done that. He has completely changed who the Punisher is. 

Before you accuse Remender of taking the easy way and writing a shocking story to get attention, keep in mind he did a great job on the first ten issues of the series as well as Dark Reign: The List - Punisher. I had actually started losing interest in the Punisher until this current series started. Along with Tony Moore's art, I've been getting a kick out of the FrankenCastle story.

No Caption Provided
    If you've been thinking this is just a short term gimmick and things will go back to normal any day now, I have either good news or bad news. Word is with May's issue #17 the title is changing. The comic will go from being called Punisher to...you guessed it, FrankenCastle. The story is not over and the series will be taking a new direction.

While I'm not the biggest fan of volumes changing names (or numbering), I'm okay with this one. I understand how the big time Punisher fans might be upset over such a drastic change in their favorite character. If they can't accept this change, they still have the Punisher Max title. I've been riding this out, intrigued to see where the story will go. We can assume that some day, some how Frank will go back to normal (even though I don't see how unless some hardcore magic is used). If one of my favorite characters were changed so drastically, I'd probably be a little upset. What it comes down to is having faith. I have seen some of my favorites undergo changes in their behavior or costumes. In the end, things have always worked out. Marvel knows what they're doing. Rick Remender knows what he's doing. I say sit back and enjoy the ride.
    timrothsays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By timrothsays

This title is very refreshing. 
    Everyone who does not like it - bigots ^.^

SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

Do you think he can turn back into a human?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @SUPER-MAN 23: In the world of comic books, anything is possible. I'd be willing to bet (just about) anything that Rick Remender does have an "escape" plan in reverting things back to normal, if necessary. But imagine if they don't change him back. Imagine if they actually stick with this. It might not be that bad a thing. I do like the Punisher but seeing a guy running around shooting the bad guys is just something we've seen so many times. This, while a little odd, is something different. I applaud Marvel for taking such a risk and giving us something newer instead of relying on a working formula.
    brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By brc2000

I was a bit skeptical at first, but the Frankenastle concept's growing on me.

DeathinFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By DeathinFire

Yeah, it's growing on me, a little.

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Green ankh

i like Frankencastle.  I like the fact it isnt the same old anti-hero book. But i also love the Punishermax book. So to me the "real" Frank isnt gone he is just over in the max book.
    Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Theodore

For some reason the picture on the right reminds me of "Sonic Spinball" for Sega Genesis...

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

Fine by me I have been loving FrankenCastle and besides if I want classic Punisher action then I read MAX

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9  Edited By DMC

Nice to see that "FrankenCastle is growing on you Gman

RoninKane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By RoninKane

I'm curious whether or not they will give Frank a chance at retribution toward Daken.
    starz007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By starz007

I'm still waiting for my Dark Reign Punisher books to get here from eBay.  :(

I'm not thrilled about the Franken Castle idea because it seems a little out there, and the Punisher is one of those characters who is usually grounded in a sense of reality.  Some of the art does look cool though, so I'll wait to judge though.

Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Tyler Starke

I've never been a fan of the punisher, but maybe I'll check out this Frankencastle guy. Other than physically is he that different of a character?

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By goldenkey

haven't read it myself, but it seems a lot of people like it.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#14  Edited By xerox_kitty

The FrankenCastle reminds me of the Marvel Knights story where he became an 'angel'.  It's the undead supernatural element.    I just wish that someone would stop changing the main picture on his page to this:

He's the FrankenCastle now: Deal with it!

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

I still want a Franken-Castle toy

simsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By simsey

i like it if it doesnt work they can go back to norm  but hope they dont coz of the bigger view they could go wit ghostrider blade and any kind of freaks or mutants
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im a long time hardcore Punisher fan, and ive got to say i like FrankenCastle.
    the biggest thing i like is i dont feel im being jerked around, rather that theyve
    taken the brass to actually have Punisher play out, like the fact of his inevitable
    destruction in a world of super powered characters, one of the only complaints that
    has existed with Frank over the years otherwise. also i dont feel the actual character
    has been lost, he's just in different packaging. the mentality is still there, his drives
    are still intact, and he most definatly is still fond of killing bad guys in the most creative
    and nasty ways available to him. as well, even though the current Frank issues where good,
    theyre were coming to a point where something either needed to give or the whole thing would
    become redundant. add to the fact im a big monsters fan, especially anything by Wrightston and
    Brereton (and Mort Todd of course, but he's not relevant here) and i feel treated by this. but the bottom
    ling is good writing on this and story structure. when everything went down with the young Moloid, i really
    felt that. i felt a renewed justification in Franks cause, and wanted him to pwn the haters responsible.
    this decent writing was the thing i felt originally might be lost in favor of something hokey, and i think
    the real reason alot of old style Punisher hardcores never gave it a chance (alot ive argued with on this
    told me they read Frankencastle, yet proved the didnt, so i stand by that). I'm glad they arent just going
    to shove this off, and theyre going to play it out and take the challenge to be creative about it. one of the
    worst things as a comic reader is to have something drastic happen, then have it end as if it didnt happen
    (aka: Wizard Of Oz, just a dream Dorothy). thats insulting to me. also cool that for those who wouldnt agree to this, they kept his MAX book intact, which may just be a better place for him anyways because his stories can go as far into the mature rating as they actually need to.

@xerox-kitty:
    agreed. i keep seeing that as well, though it may be bias on my end since i hold both the 
    character bio main pictures and image gallery contents to high standards.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Mbecks14

could not have been less interested in the Punisher until he became Frankencastle. Keep the change.

Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#19  Edited By Meteorite

Wow, that's...... interesting. I was seriously expecting Frank to go back to normal at the end of this arc.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By InnerVenom123

"Marvel knows what they're doing. Rick Remender knows what he's doing. I say sit back and enjoy the ride."

And I say this is a big load....
    Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Yung ANcient One

Like i said B4...

Pun's Fans Loved him cuz he was jus some guy who shoots people... whats his Gimmick? He Punishes People... it was enough to have a Huge Cult Following... 

Too Bad Tho thats a Dime a Dozen type of Character... theres a bunch... Uddles and Uddles of characters that have no powers... but they shoot people... that they deem EVIL... so no theres no uniqueness in him... iMO.... This FrankenCastle is a Very Unique Gimmick... a Monster... That Punishes... Doode common... Now thats SPecial... thats all i gotta say

and Im personally glad

warcorpse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By warcorpse

Questions. Will he keep protecting monsters? if so this opens the door for another marvel killer vigilante to step in.
     Frank keeps the mob in check, they will surely grow back

maistin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By maistin

I like the concept of this, that is a Frank Castle that gets an upgrade in powers and abilities.  It’s about time the Punisher got some better toys to take on more powerful super-villains.  The punisher is perfect for the half-man-half-machine, living weapon , cyborg killing monster.

I just hate the look of Frankencastle - it’s too much like some Saturday morning cartoon from twenty years ago.  Why not go in the direction of a cool looking cyborg like Cable, Deathlok, Overtkill, Cyborg-Superman, etc.

He just looks… goofy!

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.