New Punisher Series in January!

#1 Edited by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio
JM: Speaking of January solicits themselves, there's a new Punisher series. The movie tie-in is an obvious prompt, but what else makes you want to start this new book?

JQ: In 2009, the Marvel Universe is going to become a very, very scary place. It will be the type of place that's begging for a guy like Frank Castle. With Punisher 1, we're throwing Frank Castle right into center ring, hunting Big Game like only he can. It all starts with him standing on the edge of the Jersey shore with a Skrull rifle, his sights trained on the head of a major Marvel Universe player. You'll have to wait and see who he's aiming at, but suffice it to say, not since Civil War has Frank Castle been so affected by the ripple effects of the Marvel Universe—and never has it more needed his unique brand of justice. What's the old saying? "One man with one bullet, in the right place, at the right time, can change the world?" Well, just imagine what Frank can do with a million bullets.
#2 Posted by Suigetsu (1720 posts) - - Show Bio

well I hope he actuall gets to kill someone with those bullets, specially the cheesy superheroes in tight suits and JQ ofcourse.  >xD

#3 Posted by King Goku (312 posts) - - Show Bio

Punisher vs. Sentry...puke

#4 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it might be cool on how he tries to take him out.

#5 Posted by inferiorego (21242 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish they made a book called, Punisher: Tight Killer

Staff
#6 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio
inferiorego said:
"I wish they made a book called, Punisher: Tight Killer"

Hah.  THAT HE IS.
#7 Posted by Nighthunter (28580 posts) - - Show Bio

in the last page it looks like if sentry is saying "really?" :P

#8 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio

lol

I think I heard Frank had a Skrull weapon with him...

#9 Posted by Nighthunter (28580 posts) - - Show Bio

If Punisher does take down Sentry he'll really fall in the power ranks lol

#10 Posted by Lunacyde (17966 posts) - - Show Bio

If Punisher takes down Sentry it will be laughable.....Punisher is overated

#11 Posted by ThorCastle (1 posts) - - Show Bio
Lunacyde said:
"If Punisher takes down Sentry it will be laughable.....Punisher is overated"

No hes not. He doesnt get enough respect actually.
#12 Posted by Dead (35 posts) - - Show Bio

Punisher..overrated? HA! Thats a laugh! this guy doesn't need "super powers" to defeat his foes, all he needs is his years of military training in combat and guns. Thats all. Punisher is the Bad Ass of Marvel just like Batman is the Bad Ass of DC.

#13 Posted by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio
Dead said:
"Punisher..overrated? HA! Thats a laugh! this guy doesn't need "super powers" to defeat his foes, all he needs is his years of military training in combat and guns. Thats all. Punisher is the Bad Ass of Marvel just like Batman is the Bad Ass of DC."
He is overrated..he has like 3 different titles right now.None of them are good.
#14 Posted by Dead (35 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh-uh, you just keep saying that because thats your opinion. I like all 3 titles.

#15 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio

Punisher's feats are believable and I'm sure he'll have something to his advantage. 

#16 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio

More on the new series;

"LIVING IN DARKNESS," PART 2

Frank Castle is losing the war. Organized crime has New York City in a death grip that, thanks to the powerful propaganda machine of the corrupt new government, is being swept under the rug. To stem this dark tide, Frank Castle must embrace new tactics, embarking on a bloody public campaign that will expose the dark underbelly of the supposedly squeaky-clean regime to the world, and a new sidekick, who'll help him get out the message. Who would be stupid enough to team up with the
#17 Posted by j0k3rm4n (24 posts) - - Show Bio
Dead said:
"Huh-uh, you just keep saying that because thats your opinion. I like all 3 titles."
So do I. In my opinion, Punisher's MAX series is still a good read even after Garth Ennis left. I just wanted that Jigsaw could play some role of bigger impact in the current arc "Girls with White Dresses"...but who knows? There's always other story arcs, right?
#18 Posted by Nighthunter (28580 posts) - - Show Bio

IGN Comics: What is the transition like going from collaborating with Matt Fraction on War Journal to flying solo with this new series?

Rick Remender: Matt's been a big help. Punisher was his first big launch from Marvel as well so he is uniquely suited to the task of aiding me in taking this on. He's been there for career advice and story talks from day one. He's a tremendous writer and a good friend. I've learned a great deal and grown into a better writer since working with him.

It's funny the tricks your mind can play on your self-confidence. Matt and I were writing on such a great clip on War Journal, then they told me I'd be going solo and the book would be relaunched with a new #1 that would be tied directly into the big happenings in the next event… to be honest I sort of froze up at first. I put a great deal of pressure on myself to make the best book I'm capable of.

When I got over the fear I wouldn't live up the expectations I set for myself, the pendulum swung, I sort went wild and vomited up a million ideas. The excitement of all the possibilities of bringing Frank Castle into the spotlight of the current big event caused me to go a bit nuts. I was overwriting stuff trying to cram everything we cooked up in the first arc. It took me a couple of week before I calmed down and got it through my head that this was an ongoing series and I'd have time to build to things.

Fortunately, editor Axel Alonso was patient with me as we worked tirelessly to boil it down to only the best ideas and hopefully the best execution of them. We're chugging along on a good clip now, it's fun and exciting stuff to write and that usually leads to a good read.

IGN Comics: By my count, we're now on Vol. 7 of Punisher. Why was it decided to relaunch the series rather than continuing the numbering from War Journal? Is there a significant shift in tone or storytelling approach that separates this series from War Journal?

Remender:
I think it comes down to the world stage being more suited for a character like Frank Castle. It's his time to shine, to do what few others are willing to do-- to take a shot at killing the big bad guys. The mission statement for this new series is escalation. An escalation of the caliber of Frank's enemies and an escalation of the size and power of his armory, to make sure it meets the standards one would expect of a soldier looking to kill the biggest villains in the MU. By giving Frank Castle bigger guns and more tech you open up the quality of target he can aim them at... and after issue #1 you'll see just how high he's aiming.

As for the tone, there is a shift in this series; I believe there will be a shift in all the Dark Reign books as the characters deal with the new status quo.

IGN Comics: As one series ends and the next begins, what state is Frank Castle in? How has his war on crime been going lately?

Remender:
He's lost his only friend in the world, he's just seen his planet ravaged by invasion and his country taken over by a criminal. His war on crime is clearly in need of a new focus. Frank wants to wipe clean the contemptible people who have insinuated themselves into power. He is focusing on big hits now, no longer satisfied to hunt the soldiers he's gunning for the generals.

IGN Comics: Early on, it was indicated that the big shift in this series is that Frank turns his attention from supervillains to superheroes. Given the murky political landscape of the Marvel U. these days, is the distinction even there anymore?

Remender:
I'm not really sure where that came from. Frank only kills those with blood on their hands, he doesn't hunt heroes. I know if we go way back he used to tussle with Spidey and Daredevil all the time as they didn't see eye to eye with his methods but Frank's goal is to kill those who would subjugate and harm the citizens of his city, state, country. Why is he fighting The Sentry? You'll have to buy issue #1 to find out.

IGN Comics: Two questions regarding the fight against the Sentry - how can someone like Punisher take down the man with the power of a million exploding suns, and is this just a ruse to mask his real mission?

Remender:
It's no ruse and it's not at all what you think it is. As for how he survives… imagine the last ten minutes of Predator.

IGN Comics: How does a guy like Frank react to the shift of power in Dark Reign? To him, is Norman Osborn much worse than Tony Stark?

Remender:
To Frank Castle, Norman Osborn is his worst kind of nightmare come true. The kind of villain that is hardest to fight, the kind with a great PR machine offering warm comfort and faux protection to a population left fearful by a near cataclysmic event. Osborn is using fear and mistrust to manipulate, and slowly erode, democracy. Frank is a meat and potatoes American with a deep and unwavering love for his county-- Osborn's regime will not stand.

IGN Comics: Stark made it S.H.I.E.L.D.'s business to hunt down Frank at all costs. Will H.A.M.M.E.R. take on a similar mission?

Remender:
Frank puts himself in the sights of some big players. By issue #6 when the extent of what he's up against is revealed… no one will see what is coming.

IGN Comics: Does G.W. Bridge fit into this new book at all? If so, how is he reacting to the demise of S.H.I.E.L.D.?

Remender:
Bridge isn't in the first arc.

IGN Comics: Early on in War Journal, we saw Frank raiding S.H.I.E.L.D. storehouses to replenish his weapon supplies. Will he be adding any unusual weaponry to his arsenal along the lines of the Satan Claw or one of Stuart Clarke's many toys?

Remender:
Yes. Issue #2 will reveal Frank's new armory.

IGN Comics: Speaking of Stuart, last we saw him he had essentially become the new Jigsaw, in appearance as well as mission. How long until he rears his misshapen head again?

Remender:
Time will tell.

IGN Comics: Stuart filled the sidekick role that had been left vacant by Microchip. Will Frank be gaining a new sidekick, or is he back to fighting alone?

Remender:
Frank's war is most efficient when waged with some help. He'll make a new pal or two in the first arc.

IGN Comics: Every Punisher writer seems to have their own approach when it comes to balancing humor and violence. What approach are you taking in your scripts? Is this book going to be darker than War Journal?

Remender:
The Dark Reign stuff doesn't leave much room for humor. Fans of my creator-owned books like XXXombies or Black Heart Billy know I'm a fan of writing over-the-top humor stuff, but it has to fit the story. With everything going on in the Marvel Universe I don't see Frank cracking many jokes. He's taking this new war deadly serious.

That said, there are moments of humor in the book, not the joke cracking kind, the situational kind that will be amusing to the reader but maybe not to the people involved. It's peppered throughout but not in a manner that suggests the characters don't take their situation seriously.
#19 Edited by Mr. Punisher (154 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank against Sentry? AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!

#20 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio

This series has really surprised me. 

I like how he is using super-hero gadgets.  I hope in one issue he will get his hands on some War Machine armor.

#21 Posted by Brit (372 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dead said:
" Punisher..overrated? HA! Thats a laugh! this guy doesn't need "super powers" to defeat his foes, all he needs is his years of military training in combat and guns. Thats all. Punisher is the Bad Ass of Marvel just like Batman is the Bad Ass of DC. "
I agree with Dead!! Plus, Frank is the only one who has the balls to do what needs to be done. Take a .45acp, shoot the bad guy in the face, reload, repeat.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.