Follow

Punisher

Character » Punisher appears in 2804 issues.

When U.S. Marine veteran Frank Castle's family's was murdered for witnessing a mob hit, the man vowed to avenge their deaths and became a one-man army in his personal war against the criminal underworld. With a distinct death's head skull adorning his chest, Frank Castle became the vigilante known as the Punisher.

Jason Aaron Discusses the Future of Punisher Max

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

Edited By JonesDeini
    Love Johnson's Covers 
    Love Johnson's Covers 
    Can't wait to see what Aaron's got whipped up. His take on Kingpin/Bullseye was excellent, I'm really excited to see what he's got planned for Elektra. interview here!
    shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By shawn87

"Will Punish for ammo" haha...that's awesome

cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By cody1984

No offense but can't Aaron come up with some original enemies for Frank? Kingpin was actually done well, Bullseye just got on my nerves, and with Elektra we pretty much already know what to expect so there is no mystery to the enemies Frank is facing that we've had before in the MAX series.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JonesDeini
    @cody1984 said:

No offense but can't Aaron come up with some original enemies for Frank? Kingpin was actually done well, Bullseye just got on my nerves, and with Elektra we pretty much already know what to expect so there is no mystery to the enemies Frank is facing that we've had before in the MAX series.

They're no whole new characters, but Aaron's doing fresh takes on them which I can appreciate. I absolutely loved the way he wrote Bullseye so to each his own on that note. I say let's wait and see who/what he comes up with. If he can whip up more enemies half as awesome as the Mennonite while writing the established villains of the Marvel U as well as he has then I see myself reading this book for years to come.  
    cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cody1984

@JonesDeini said:

@cody1984 said:

They're no whole new characters, but Aaron's doing fresh takes on them which I can appreciate. I absolutely loved the way he wrote Bullseye so to each his own on that note. I say let's wait and see who/what he comes up with. If he can whip up more enemies half as awesome as the Mennonite while writing the established villains of the Marvel U as well as he has then I see myself reading this book for years to come.

If you mean by whole new characters as in "its all been done before" I agree with that mostly. What I'm saying though is in Mother Russia we got introduced to Rawlins, General Zakharov, and the Generals that became interesting challenges for Frank and were quite different from other villains he had faced. I'm not seeing that with Aaron's run.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JonesDeini
    @cody1984 said:

@JonesDeini said:

@cody1984 said:

If you mean by whole new characters as in "its all been done before" I agree with that mostly. What I'm saying though is in Mother Russia we got introduced to Rawlins, General Zakharov, and the Generals that became interesting challenges for Frank and were quite different from other villains he had faced. I'm not seeing that with Aaron's run.

No, I get you, what I'm saying is I like how he's written the established characters. He writes them different enough to distinguish them from their 616 counterparts that they can stand on their own as unique interpretations and to my knowledge none of them appeared in Ennis' legendary run. Now, like Ennis I look forward to Aaron giving Frank a Barracuda so to speak. I'll wait patiently for that day to come. As he said in the article, the next arc will end the ongoing conflict between Frank/Fisk and he will move on to new challenges. Aaron's yet to let me down on this book so I trust the guy to continue to deliver month in and month out. 
    ZORN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By ZORN
    @cody1984 said:

How come? I do admit he was over the top, but when I learned what character Aaron used in his rendition of this character I liked him even more.
    cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cody1984

@ZORN said:

@cody1984 said:

How come? I do admit he was over the top, but when I learned what character Aaron used in his rendition of this character I liked him even more.

He was to over the top for me. Also the figuring out where all of the Punisher's safe houses were I thought was a cheap way of getting rid of Frank's vast arsenal.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JonesDeini
    @cody1984 said:

@ZORN said:

@cody1984 said:

He was to over the top for me. Also the figuring out where all of the Punisher's safe houses were I thought was a cheap way of getting rid of Frank's vast arsenal.

Max is supposed to be over top. And crazy as he is, Bullseye supposed to be one of the worlds best mercs so him doing intel to track down likely safe houses for Frank worked for me. Especially considering that this quit being a job and became personal for him, and obsession. 
    cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cody1984

@JonesDeini said:

@cody1984 said:

@ZORN said:

@cody1984 said:

Max is supposed to be over top. And crazy as he is, Bullseye supposed to be one of the worlds best mercs so him doing intel to track down likely safe houses for Frank worked for me. Especially considering that this quit being a job and became personal for him, and obsession.

Huh? The Punisher's MAX imprint is suppose to be pretty much the real world. So Bullseye didn't make much sense how he figured everything out. If it was the regular marvel universe I wouldn't care since that world is completely over the top.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JonesDeini
    @cody1984 said:

@JonesDeini said:

@cody1984 said:

@ZORN said:

@cody1984 said:

Huh? The Punisher's MAX imprint is suppose to be pretty much the real world. So Bullseye didn't make much sense how he figured everything out. If it was the regular marvel universe I wouldn't care since that world is completely over the top.

Max is set in a more realistic world, but I think the book has always been the Punisher on set on 11. The violence being the best example of this. Also, there's the Frank as a force of nature angle that most writers take in Max. It's realistic as in there's no capes that make appearances, but it's still about a 60+ year old one man army killing more people in an arc than a nation does at war time? And plenty of these times he does so like this... 

Pretty over the top to me. And we did see Bullseye squeezing former business associates of Frank's like weapons dealers, etc. to get intel on Frank. It didn't bother me that he tracked down Frank, but I respect your position on that. 
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JonesDeini
    @cody1984 said:

@JonesDeini said:

@cody1984 said:

@ZORN said:

@cody1984 said:

You know I wrote a response and it even had a neat and humorous video to go with it. And it wouldn't post. So yeah, screw it. Suffice it to say, to each his own, bro. 
    RazielWraith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By RazielWraith

I hated what he did to Frank's marriage and the kids...
    cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cody1984

To be fair Commando never got beat up the way Frank constantly does in MAX. The Punisher routinely gets hurt in the series showing that while he is definately badass he is not a god or have "a god mode."

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

@JonesDeini said:

@cody1984 said:

@JonesDeini said:

@cody1984 said:

@ZORN said:

@cody1984 said:

You know I wrote a response and it even had a neat and humorous video to go with it. And it wouldn't post. So yeah, screw it. Suffice it to say, to each his own, bro.

Your response got posted.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JonesDeini
    @cody1984:  
    So it did and love the scans. I was being hyperbolic earlier but Frank walks away from some crazy beat downs that a man his age should't get up from. But I must admit that's one of the things I like about the series. Frank may walk away from some crazy brawls but he does feel the aftershock for a reasonable amount of time thereafter.  

@RazielWraith:  
    Haven't read my issue yet. Will likely get to it later today.
    ZORN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By ZORN
    @RazielWraith said:
    Care to elaborate?
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JonesDeini
    @RazielWraith said:
    Why? If you think about it, it all makes perfect sense. Especially considering this is Max Frank. 
    cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cody1984

@JonesDeinisaid:

@cody1984:
    So it did and love the scans. I was being hyperbolic earlier but Frank walks away from some crazy beat downs that a man his age should't get up from. But I must admit that's one of the things I like about the series. Frank may walk away from some crazy brawls but he does feel the aftershock for a reasonable amount of time thereafter.

This is one area where I will give Aaron more credit than Garth in showing that Frank's age does matter.

@JonesDeini said:

@RazielWraith said:
    Why? If you think about it, it all makes perfect sense. Especially considering this is Max Frank.

I actually see his point. We all know how Frank's family died and to revisit this again and make it even more depressing with Frank being completely out of touch with his family wasn't exactly what some people wanted to see and thought it was just a bad move. I get why Aaron did it and I agree it makes sense but I can see how people don't like it.

bionder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18  Edited By bionder

IMO The Punisher: Born and now this, is just some very important details of what he would become later. Aaron is exploring Frank's psych even further than Garth.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Bionder said:
    IMO The Punisher: Born and now this, is just some very important details of what he would become later. Aaron is exploring Frank's psych even further than Garth.
    Yeah, I love what Aaron did here. For one up to this point he's given more time to Frank's interaction/lack thereof with his family than any writer I can recall. Also I never bought the whole reason for Frank continuing to hunt criminals being "VENGEANCE!!!". Ennis called BS on that too and I loved his Knights/Max work because of that stance. I love that both these guys have delved into Frank's psyche the way they have. This latest issue will definitely be getting a 5 Star review from me. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.