Follow

Punisher

Character » Punisher appears in 2803 issues.

When U.S. Marine veteran Frank Castle's family's was murdered for witnessing a mob hit, the man vowed to avenge their deaths and became a one-man army in his personal war against the criminal underworld. With a distinct death's head skull adorning his chest, Frank Castle became the vigilante known as the Punisher.

Can Punisher still be famous without being in Vietnam?

MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 0

Edited By MTHarman

Frank Castle A.K.A. The Punisher.

A vigilante hero who steps on the wrong side of law when ridding crime from the Marvel Universe and has successfully reached a massive fan-base with his dark and grim history. But a current discussion within Comicvine that asks about Punishers past being changed raises a unique question. Would Punisher still be famous if he wasn’t in Vietnam?

With that said, there comes the rare Punisher story known as “Born” that really defined Punishers history prior to his war against crime as the Punisher. Even though “Born” really convinced fans that Vietnam was the type of war that could build Punishers dark personality and vendetta, it could also be possible that a different origin could still build Punishers hatred for crime and maintain his fame with the fans. From being a simple patrol man to an employee at a local factory, it may be possible that whatever Frank Castle was before may not have any changes towards his current status (depending on who’s writing the story). But seeing how Marvel fans have loved and known Punisher as a man who stepped out of Vietnam before his vigilante career, we would never the true answer to the question.

But why is the media and other Punisher stories try to steer away from Punishers involvement with Vietnam?

From a few theories as to how Punisher’s origin is slowly being removed from Vietnam, first would involve the fact that Vietnam is a very sensitive and tragic war that many Americans were forced to fight in. Even though Vietnam wasn’t the source for Punisher’s character, it’s a fact that some would see differently. Much like the controversy for the film known as Rambo: First Blood, some viewers (mostly veterans) would probably see Punisher as a veteran who’s on a blood-thirsty rampage and out of control, even though that’s hardly the case. Another would be the time setting between now and when Vietnam took place, seeing how Punisher films took place within modern time, it would be hard to explain as to how Punisher is in his 70’s or 80’s when he’s obviously being played by an actor who hasn’t reached his 40’s or 50's yet. But from fearing controversy to unexplained timelines, we would never know as to why Marvel and the media tends to steer Punisher away from his Vietnam origins.

A solid character within Marvel Comics, Punisher has sat on several mistakes from Marvel writers and it could possibly be that his Vietnam origin and his current age may just be another hiccup that Marvel has accidentally created. Personally I believe that Punisher could still survive and be as famous as he currently is without his involvement in Vietnam, even though changing Punishers past now would probably receive a lot of disgruntle fans and a decrease with Comic sales. But despite what fans believe, Punisher was famous for what he did as the Punisher, not his involvement within Vietnam. Despite how many people think that Vietnam served his dark natured psychology, just about any man could step into that mindset because of a certain level of trauma and developed hatred.       

Thankyou for reading.    
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Green Skin
    @MTHarman:  
    But why is the media and other Punisher stories try to steer away from Punishers involvement with Vietnam?  

Because it dates the character, and the further you get from Vietnam the less relevant it is to his backstory.

I honestly think him being in Vietnam is rather inconsequential.  The only really important part of his origin is that his family was gunned down and he became the Punisher to kill those responsible.
    MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MTHarman
    @Green Skin said:

" @MTHarman:  
    But why is the media and other Punisher stories try to steer away from Punishers involvement with Vietnam?    Because it dates the character, and the further you get from Vietnam the less relevant it is to his backstory.  I honestly think him being in Vietnam is rather inconsequential.  The only really important part of his origin is that his family was gunned down and he became the Punisher to kill those responsible. "

"The only really important part of his origin is that his family was gunned down and he became the Punisher to kill those responsible." 
     Very true and I wish Marvel only stayed on that part of origin. 

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By PowerHerc

Sure he can.   

Marvel can just retcon Viet Nam out and retcon Iraq, Afghanistan or Libya in.   
    His origin won't change significantly and newer readers will relate more. 

This isn't a new idea and it works when used judiciously.
    KenTheProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By KenTheProfile

I think the problem with The Punisher is that rather stupidly Marvel has him under  rules about aging and the like. one thing that i love about Born is the idea that there is more going on with The pinisher. i never really thought that his family being gunned down was enought to fight a war on all crime.  they could also make him a mutant(slow aging) and not change anything about his past. Punisher needs a shot in the arm right now so they should just go for it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5af7470263a09
    deactivated-5af7470263a09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He doesnt have to have a floating age like every other character in Marvel. Let him be unique. If They want to change his  back story, they should do it in the inferior 616 stories, but leave the max series backstory alone.  And it is absoloutley essential he be  a Vietnam veteran. Thats his war. 

.o0Johnny0o.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By .o0Johnny0o.

Steve Rogers/Frank Castle.

Same man, different war.

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Jotham

The Vietnam War was a very strange and unique conflict for America, and Frank Castle is inextricably a product of that war. You can (and probably should) ignore the fact that he should be in his sixties now, but you can't just flat out contradict it.

No Caption Provided
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nova`Prime`

You know Frank usually gets his hands on some pretty interesting tech, could it be possible that Frank might have gotten himself injected with the Infinity Serum like Fury so he as basically stopped aging. It would explain why he doesn't get older and it is something that is believable.

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jotham
    @Nova`Prime` said:

" You know Frank usually gets his hands on some pretty interesting tech, could it be possible that Frank might have gotten himself injected with the Infinity Serum like Fury so he as basically stopped aging. It would explain why he doesn't get older and it is something that is believable. "

Maybe, but I think a more likely explanation is that something happened to him during the time he was an avenging angel, or whatever the hell this was:

No Caption Provided
    Oh, I suppose you could argue Frankencastle reset his clock, too.
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Of course he can, after all, if I'm not mistaken, Noir Punisher was a World War I veteran and I still think he's pretty bad @$$.

MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MTHarman
    @Jotham said:
    "The Vietnam War was a very strange and unique conflict for America, and Frank Castle is inextricably a product of that war. You can (and probably should) ignore the fact that he should be in his sixties now, but you can't just flat out contradict it.

"

Best thing about comics is that they tend to bend the age rule, which isn't an issue yet for the Punisher. Problem with the age thing is that some would start to noticing a hiccup from Punisher's first appearance and years later with little or less change. Much like the issue with both Aunt May and Dr Conners son who's been twelve years old since Lizards first appearance in the sixties. It's likely that this age thing is something that Marvel would try avoid or fix, which also raises the question as to why he hasn't taken any age Serum yet. 

But as a veteran myself, you can't help but see differently when you see Punisher and a roomful of other Veterans who can barely walk on their own. Personally I could careless if Punisher was or wasn't in Vietnam, but it is an interesting thought knowing if he could survive in Marvel without being involved.
    ZORN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By ZORN
    @RedheadedAtrocitus said:
    " Of course he can, after all, if I'm not mistaken, Noir Punisher was a World War I veteran and I still think he's pretty bad @$$. "
    Actually his father was World War 1 veteran, but yeah Noir Punisher was still awesome, and Ultimate Frank was a cop, even though I don't like him that much, he's still bad @ss also.
    No Caption Provided

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By InnerVenom123

They changed his age after the bloodstone healed him from being Franken-Castle. He's back to his early 30s from the healing process.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ZORN: Oh it was his dad, okay.  Well still, that story was among my favorite of the whole Marvel Noir thing and yes you're right, Castiglione was still pretty bad to the bone. Right on!
    MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MTHarman
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    "They changed his age after the bloodstone healed him from being Franken-Castle. He's back to his early 30s from the healing process. "

At least Marvel fixed the age thing with Punisher.
    Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jotham
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " They changed his age after the bloodstone healed him from being Franken-Castle. He's back to his early 30s from the healing process. "
    There we go. Thank God for Marvel editors, amirite?
    atom895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By atom895
    i believe that punishers involvement in the vietnam war is a basis for who he is today. you dont steer captain america away from ww2( although ww2 and vietnam are different when it comes to the sensitivity of the subject) so why steer punisher away from vietnam. i think it adds to who he is as a character. those fateful missions is what created his thirst for warfare which is a basis for his methods of crime fighting.  the vietnam war was a harsh and unforgiving one but, it should be kept as one of the punishers most important experiences.by the way todays war is more harsh than vietnam in SOME ways but retconning the war castle fought in is not a good idea( he was a soldier before anything else).
    cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By cody1984

No the punisher needs to have been in Vietnam it's to ingrained in the Punisher comics to have him all of a sudden not be a Vietnam Veteran.  The part about him possibly being a factory worker is just nonsense.   The amount of skill frank has would only come from military or law enforcement background.  Trying to paint him as some average background with some secret idenity like bugboy would just be stupid.       
    Avatar image for deactivated-5af7470263a09
    deactivated-5af7470263a09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@.o0Johnny0o.: 
    nah man. two completely different men full stop.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.