Follow

Punisher

Character » Punisher appears in 2803 issues.

When U.S. Marine veteran Frank Castle's family's was murdered for witnessing a mob hit, the man vowed to avenge their deaths and became a one-man army in his personal war against the criminal underworld. With a distinct death's head skull adorning his chest, Frank Castle became the vigilante known as the Punisher.

Are there any good Punisher stories in the main Marvel Universe?

JoeEddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JoeEddie

I said this before but I am in love with Punisher Max by Garth Ennis . Planning on picking up "Welcome back, Frank" by Ennis which I thought was in the 616 Universe but I just read that is it from the Marvel Knights imprint. So, are there any good Punisher stories in the main Marvel Universe or does he not just fit in with the other characters? It seems like the character has not been handled well in the 616 Universe with writers having the character turn Black, becoming an avenging angel, to Franken Castle.

Avatar image for manbehindthewires
    Manbehindthewires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Manbehindthewires

@JoeEddie: Thunderbolts? Fury MAX is representing him quite well by the looks of it too.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By danhimself

Thunderbolts is horrible....pick up Rucka's run

JoeEddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JoeEddie

@Manbehindthewires said:

@JoeEddie: Thunderbolts? Fury MAX is representing him quite well by the looks of it too.

I thought the Max line was not a part of main continuity

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By InnerVenom123

Remender's run (pre-Frankencastle).

Rucka's run.

Manbehindthewires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Manbehindthewires

@InnerVenom123 said:

Rucka's run.

bionder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By bionder

I would recommend the 90's stuff Mike Baron's ( skip the arc when he turns black, lol) and Chuck Dixon. For more recent comics try Garth Ennis run post "Welcome Back, Frank", Remenders until Franken-castle then read "In The Blood" arc and definetely Rucka's run. Avoid Fraction / Remender ( War Journal).

- Punisher from 90's ( Mike Baron's and Chuck Dixon) if you find some;

- All of Garth Ennis stuff (it's marvel knights but it's placed in 616);

- Remender's Dark Reign arc and In the Blood;

-Greg Rucka's ongoing is a must have;

-Try Punisher: Nightmare mini series - good stuff.

JoeEddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JoeEddie

@Bionder said:

I would recommend the 90's stuff Mike Baron's ( skip the arc when he turns black, lol) and Chuck Dixon. For more recent comics try Garth Ennis run post "Welcome Back, Frank", Remenders until Franken-castle then read "In The Blood" arc and definetely Rucka's run. Avoid Fraction / Remender ( War Journal).

- Punisher from 90's ( Mike Baron's and Chuck Dixon) if you find some;

- All of Garth Ennis stuff (it's marvel knights but it's placed in 616);

- Remender's Dark Reign arc and In the Blood;

-Greg Rucka's ongoing is a must have;

-Try Punisher: Nightmare mini series - good stuff.

Thanks a lot! I have been hesitant to buy Rucka's run after reading Rucka's Punisher: War Zone

Liz_Lixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Liz_Lixx

Rucka's newest run is awesome!! Its freaking great! The art is fantastic! GET IT!!!! DO IT NOW!!!! I agree with ALL of Bionder's picks, but I would respectfully add Steven Grant's Circle Of Blood. It is pre-Ennis; it is super.

bionder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By bionder

@Liz_Lixx: I included Circle of Blood in the 90's stuff but it's a bit before that. There is a TPB launched by Marvel last year i guess. Great reading.

Liz_Lixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Liz_Lixx

I guess my reply never posted. I overlooked that on your list, Bionder! I have the original trade of Circle of Blood, I think it's '88, not sure tho. Its sooooooooooooo good!

Avatar image for captain_yesterday
    Captain_Yesterday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JoeEddie:

Yea I think you're right about Frank now always being handled right in the 616, like now with him in The Thunderbolts. This is probably why I don't like him as much in there and wish they would take him out and give him his own universe or something.

Once you read Welcome Back, Frank you should read Punisher : War Zone-The Resurrection of Ma Gnucci also by Ennis.

Doesn't have to be right after because, to be honest, it's not one of my favorite of his stories but it's still good read and a nice follow up, of sorts, to Welcome Back, Frank.

Also, his Marvel Knights run is awesome and takes place right after Welcome Back, Frank. And as @Bionder: said earlier it's part of the 616.

Unrelated to your question but just wanted to throw in that the Fury MAX issues (6-9, 9 came out Wed) that @Manbehindthewires: mentioned are pretty good. Although this is not The Punisher, this is Frank in Vietnam during one of his earlier tours (before Born). Oh and since you like the MAX series you should read Born if you haven't.

Oh and 10-12 is gonna have Fury showdown with Barracuda which should be pretty cool.

Manbehindthewires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Captain_Yesterday: I'm really enjoying Fury MAX; seeing Frank as a cut-and-dry professional is great. He still has a lot of the Punisher elements, he's still pretty cold-blooded, just not as infected with vengeance. It's always nice to see Castle unburdened (the ice-cream panels in Punisher: Nightmare #5 was a nice recent moment)

I'll have to give Born a go! Not sure how that has slipped through the net!

Bluefox170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bluefox170

@InnerVenom123 said:

Rucka's run.

JoeEddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JoeEddie

@Captain_Yesterday said:

@JoeEddie:

Yea I think you're right about Frank now always being handled right in the 616, like now with him in The Thunderbolts. This is probably why I don't like him as much in there and wish they would take him out and give him his own universe or something.

Once you read Welcome Back, Frank you should read Punisher : War Zone-The Resurrection of Ma Gnucci also by Ennis.

Doesn't have to be right after because, to be honest, it's not one of my favorite of his stories but it's still good read and a nice follow up, of sorts, to Welcome Back, Frank.

Also, his Marvel Knights run is awesome and takes place right after Welcome Back, Frank. And as @Bionder: said earlier it's part of the 616.

Unrelated to your question but just wanted to throw in that the Fury MAX issues (6-9, 9 came out Wed) that @Manbehindthewires: mentioned are pretty good. Although this is not The Punisher, this is Frank in Vietnam during one of his earlier tours (before Born). Oh and since you like the MAX series you should read Born if you haven't.

Oh and 10-12 is gonna have Fury showdown with Barracuda which should be pretty cool.

Okay, I will be sure to get "Resurrection of Ma Gnucci" after I get "Welcome back, Frank". I am currently following Fury Max by Ennis and I just picked up volume 1 a few weeks ago. I have read "Born" and I have the entire Punisher Max run by Ennis except for Man of Stone, The Tyger, The Cell, and The End all of which are out of print.

Avatar image for captain_yesterday
    Captain_Yesterday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JoeEddie said:

Okay, I will be sure to get "Resurrection of Ma Gnucci" after I get "Welcome back, Frank". I am currently following Fury Max by Ennis and I just picked up volume 1 a few weeks ago. I have read "Born" and I have the entire Punisher Max run by Ennis except for Man of Stone, The Tyger, The Cell, and The End all of which are out of print.

Yup, missing that too.

WHY IS MAN OF STONE OUT OF PRINT MARVEL????

No way I'm paying what those guys on eBay and other places want for it, or the VOL 4 HC which is the only HC I don't have of MAX.

JoeEddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JoeEddie

@Captain_Yesterday said:

@JoeEddie said:

Yup, missing that too.

WHY IS MAN OF STONE OUT OF PRINT MARVEL????

No way I'm paying what those guys on eBay and other places want for it, or the VOL 4 HC which is the only HC I don't have of MAX.

Especially, when you do not know what condition it is in.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.