Am I the only one who thinks Frank is a FREAKING PSYCHO!

#1 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

So me and the wife were watching The Punisher last night, and she kept insisting that Frank isn't a psychopath!! Sure the whole movie he was getting the ones who killed his family. But at the end where he says he's gonna keep going, I said "Yeah keep going Psycho Man." and she said in a straight face that he wasn't!! As far as I'm concerned any and all versions of Frank are psychos!! If he wasn't a psycho would this song fit him so well?  

#2 Posted by joshmightbe (24718 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course he's a psycho that's what makes him capable of doing the things he does, a sane person would never even consider doing half the sh*t Frank does  

#3 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe: I know that but it was just so weird! She sat there and seriously told me that Frank wasn't a psycho.
#4 Posted by joshmightbe (24718 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr. Dead Pool: His ability to kill people without having any emotional response to the act of doing it is a sign of severe mental issues 
#5 Posted by _Zombie_ (10448 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank is insane, there's no doubt about that.  But at least he's doing some good with said insanity.

#6 Edited by ZORN (1605 posts) - - Show Bio
I don't think he's psycho, I've heard of serial killers that didn't meet the criteria to be considered insane or crazy even with stuff they've done just can't remember specifically, if I saw Frank as a psycho I wouldn't be reading the Punisher.
#7 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2502 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know if he could be classified as clinically psychotic, in the technical sense, but I don't think anybody is going to argue that he doesn't have some serious mental issues. At the very least, he's got one of the worst cases of PTSD I've ever seen depicted.

#8 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7964 posts) - - Show Bio

A broken man, more so than Bruce Wayne

#9 Posted by Feliciano2040 (654 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shadow_Thief: Most likely, he is not detached from reality as many psychopaths are, but he sure as hell has issues.
#10 Posted by Hunter114 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

He definitely fits the description and characteristics of a psychopath, based on Robert Hare's checklist (included below)

Factor 1: Personality "Aggressive narcissism"

Factor 2: Case history "Socially deviant lifestyle".

• Need for stimulation/proneness to boredom
  • Parasitic lifestyle
  • Poor behavioral control
  • Lack of realistic long-term goals
  • Impulsivity
  • Irresponsibility
  • Juvenile delinquency
  • Early behavior problems
  • Revocation of conditional release

Traits not correlated with either factor

• Promiscuous sexual behavior
  • Many short-term marital relationships
  • Criminal versatility
  • Acquired behavioural sociopathy/sociological conditioning (Item 21: a newly identified trait i.e. a person relying on sociological strategies and tricks to deceive)
#11 Posted by joshmightbe (24718 posts) - - Show Bio

If you're using psycho as a non specific term like many people do when referring to people with mental problems then it fits but no he wouldn't be psychotic by the clinical definition I'd say he's probably got some severe manic depressive tendencies triggered by PTSD that most likely originally acquired during Vietnam and made worse by his family's death   

#12 Posted by bringdeath (270 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank is a sociopath I could go into more detail but I dont feel like it.
#13 Posted by kev17 (332 posts) - - Show Bio

why does every vigilante automatically have to be a psycho? While i admit Frank Castle is not all there, he isnt a total maniac. The legal definition of being psychotic is the inability to plan a criminal act,  instead being compulsed to do it.  Frank Castle's murders are all premeditated. 

#14 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13631 posts) - - Show Bio

frank's off his rocker. he just has a better choice of prey than most
#15 Posted by Vortex13 (12264 posts) - - Show Bio
@ZORN said:
I don't think he's psycho, I've heard of serial killers that didn't meet the criteria to be considered insane or crazy even with stuff they've done just can't remember specifically, if I saw Frank as a psycho I wouldn't be reading the Punisher.
Most serial killers, and criminals in general, are not clinically insane. It's an insult to insane people to call the violent scum that commit acts like this insane. They may have issues and what not, but very few have major clinical mental illnesses, not bipolar or schizophrenic, just evil.
#16 Posted by Jotham (4512 posts) - - Show Bio

No, technically he's not a psycho. Whether he's justified in his actions is another discussion entirely.

@Hunter114 said:

He definitely fits the description and characteristics of a psychopath, based on Robert Hare's checklist (included below)

• Parasitic lifestyle
  • Impulsivity
  • Irresponsibility
  • Juvenile delinquency

• Criminal versatility
  • Acquired behavioural sociopathy/sociological conditioning (Item 21: a newly identified trait i.e. a person relying on sociological strategies and tricks to deceive)
I would actually use this list as examples for how he doesn't fit the criteria.
#17 Posted by Vortex13 (12264 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham said:
No, technically he's not a psycho. Whether he's justified in his actions is another discussion entirely.

@Hunter114 said:

• Parasitic lifestyle
  • Impulsivity
  • Irresponsibility
  • Juvenile delinquency

• Criminal versatility
I would actually use this list as examples for how he doesn't fit the criteria.
Yeah, pretty much all of those exclude him from being defined as one, and what is the purpose of this list? What I mean to say is what is the message or intent behind it, because definitions of this are variable.
#18 Posted by Jotham (4512 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vortex13: It's the list of symptoms for antisocial personality disorder. Basically, the medical/psychological definition of a "sociopath" or "psychopath."
#19 Posted by Vortex13 (12264 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham said:
@Vortex13: It's the list of symptoms for antisocial personality disorder. Basically, the medical/psychological definition of a "sociopath" or "psychopath."
Ah ok, which isn't actually a mental illness but a psychological disorder, and yes they are different.
#20 Posted by Kairan1979 (16926 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Rorschach had more issues than Frank.

#21 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hunter114 said:
  • Parasitic lifestyle
  • Impulsivity
  • Irresponsibility
  • Juvenile delinquency
Do you need all of them on the list of just a certain number, because as the bold font shows I have some of the above.
#22 Posted by Hunter114 (807 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime`:  
No, it's not  based on having all of them, but a majority at least.
#23 Edited by tim2081 (517 posts) - - Show Bio

These guys do the same thing Frank does. Do you think they are psycho also? Watch the end credits of the movie, they ask a bunch of people what they think. About half agree with what these guys, and guys like the Punisher do. Great movie by the way.

#24 Posted by cody1984 (1277 posts) - - Show Bio

@tim2081 said:

These guys do the same thing Frank does. Do you think they are psycho also? Watch the end credits of the movie, they ask a bunch of people what they think. About half agree with what these guys, and guys like the Punisher do. Great movie by the way.

Yeah if you think Frank is insane than so are they. This movie is great but I thought the second one was much better.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.