Follow

Punisher

Character » Punisher appears in 2803 issues.

When U.S. Marine veteran Frank Castle's family's was murdered for witnessing a mob hit, the man vowed to avenge their deaths and became a one-man army in his personal war against the criminal underworld. With a distinct death's head skull adorning his chest, Frank Castle became the vigilante known as the Punisher.

All New Punisher Thread

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@jonny_anonymous said:
    @theacidskull said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:

@theacidskull: New Punisher book announced, not sure how I feel about it:

"The Punisher." Frank Castle is back in a new series from writer Becky Cloonan and artistSteve Dillon. While Cloonan -- currently writing "Southern Cross" at Image Comics and co-writing "Gotham Academy" at DC Comics -- is new to the Punisher, it's Dillon's return to a character he's been heavily associated with since 2000, and the first of his multiple acclaimed runs on "Punisher" with writer Garth Ennis.

Marvel Announces New "Punisher" Series, "International Iron Man" and More - Comic Book Resources

I'm very happy right now, but at the same time very skeptical. I mean, the writer for Gotham Academy? Don't get me wrong, I want this to be amazing, but it seems like a very bizarre fit for Frank.....I mean, seriously.

Punisher is a character that doesn't get cheerful. Even the more social frank in the All-new series seemed odd to me.

Well Southern Cross is a pretty dark series so who knows what it will be like.

Have you read it?

I read the first 2 issues

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
    deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 0

@theacidskull said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:
    @theacidskull said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:

@theacidskull: New Punisher book announced, not sure how I feel about it:

"The Punisher." Frank Castle is back in a new series from writer Becky Cloonan and artistSteve Dillon. While Cloonan -- currently writing "Southern Cross" at Image Comics and co-writing "Gotham Academy" at DC Comics -- is new to the Punisher, it's Dillon's return to a character he's been heavily associated with since 2000, and the first of his multiple acclaimed runs on "Punisher" with writer Garth Ennis.

Marvel Announces New "Punisher" Series, "International Iron Man" and More - Comic Book Resources

I'm very happy right now, but at the same time very skeptical. I mean, the writer for Gotham Academy? Don't get me wrong, I want this to be amazing, but it seems like a very bizarre fit for Frank.....I mean, seriously.

Punisher is a character that doesn't get cheerful. Even the more social frank in the All-new series seemed odd to me.

Well Southern Cross is a pretty dark series so who knows what it will be like.

Have you read it?

I read the first 2 issues

Ok, I guess the writer has range. I'm hopefully, at least there is a series to begin with honestly. Looking forward to this very much!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bionder: @sprior93: @theacidskull: @tensta:

No Caption Provided

Marvel also announced a "Punisher" series, with the intriguing team of Becky Cloonan as writer and Steve Dillon returning to the character on art. What has you excited about what they've got planned for Frank Castle?

Alonso: Becky caught [Editor] Jake Thomas' attention with her artwork on "Wolves," "The Mire" and "Demeter," but it was her writing on "Southern Cross" that made him reach out to her for this series. She pitched a very cool story that has the Punisher on the trail of a gang that's developed a new drug that has great value on the international market if it's weaponized, and introduces a new character that will give readers someone to relate to, root for, and, of course, worry about: a female DEA agent who's also on the trail of that drug ring, whose path is destined to cross that of the Punisher. Castle is a force of nature, as everyone knows, and there are plenty of bad guys in this story that deserve what he's dispensing, so the pressing question will be, who gets out of this story alive?

This is an exciting pairing: a newcomer to Punisher and a veteran that is synonymous with the character. Steve Dillon is energized to make this series feel completely new and fresh.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bionder: @sprior93: @theacidskull: @tensta:

No Caption Provided

Marvel also announced a "Punisher" series, with the intriguing team of Becky Cloonan as writer and Steve Dillon returning to the character on art. What has you excited about what they've got planned for Frank Castle?

Alonso: Becky caught [Editor] Jake Thomas' attention with her artwork on "Wolves," "The Mire" and "Demeter," but it was her writing on "Southern Cross" that made him reach out to her for this series. She pitched a very cool story that has the Punisher on the trail of a gang that's developed a new drug that has great value on the international market if it's weaponized, and introduces a new character that will give readers someone to relate to, root for, and, of course, worry about: a female DEA agent who's also on the trail of that drug ring, whose path is destined to cross that of the Punisher. Castle is a force of nature, as everyone knows, and there are plenty of bad guys in this story that deserve what he's dispensing, so the pressing question will be, who gets out of this story alive?

This is an exciting pairing: a newcomer to Punisher and a veteran that is synonymous with the character. Steve Dillon is energized to make this series feel completely new and fresh.

Ok, the more I'm hearing of this the more excited I'm getting. The writer seems to have a good grasp on who the punisher is, and if it's anything like the Punisher MAX/Garth Ennis force of nature frank castle, then I'm all for it. I usually hate Dillion's artwork, but his work on Punisher is fantastic so I'm stoked. I'm so glad this is happening!

And to think that a few months ago I hated Punisher.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: You hated Punisher? :O

Don't you remember? I said I heavily disliked the character and you recommended Tyger to show me that he was far from one dimensional.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

Don't you remember? I said I heavily disliked the character and you recommended Tyger to show me that he was far from one dimensional.

Oh that's right! I think I recommended Tyger Tyger and Born.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:

Yup. And after another friend kept nagging me about it, I finally read born, after which I was like "well f*ck, I think this guys is awesome!"

Then I made the best decision and read Punisher Max.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:
    @theacidskull said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:

Yup. And after another friend kept nagging me about it, I finally read born, after which I was like "well f*ck, I think this guys is awesome!"

Welcome to the darkside :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:
    @theacidskull said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:

Welcome to the darkside :P

I liked the dark :P

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I'm sure most of you have already seen it.

Loading Video...

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@thefinisherdude: Punisher MAX by Garth Ennis is the definitive Punisher run. There's no reason to stick with the 616 version.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freakonaleash: /shrug

There hasn't been any news about it since it was announced. I think I remember the artist posting some sketches on tumblr, but that's really it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thefinisherdude: The Marvel universe seems about the same to me, but I've only been reading the X-Men books, so I don't know.

I'd love to have another Punisher book set in his own world, but I think Marvel wants him in their main continuity, especially now that he's in the DD show. These comments from Becky Cloonan -- the writer of the upcoming Punisher series -- give me hope:

"A few people have said some of the stuff we are planning is reminiscent of Punisher MAX, which is nothing but the highest of compliments!"

"Ok, straight up: if you are a young child and enjoy Gotham Academy, you probably shouldn't be reading this Punisher run. Hear that kids? Definitely don't read it."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freakonaleash: I think comic book Punisher is too big, too scary and too enigmatic to pull off in live action.

John Bernthal looks like a real, digestible version of Frank, especially with his street clothes and average frame/looks. He's also a much better actor than Thomas Jane and Ray Stevenson, so I think he'll do fine.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#293  Edited By lxlGiftedlxl

@immolation: Hey dude outside of Punisher Max which canon Punisher Titles would you suggest me reading?

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@immolation: Thanks man I read Punisher Max and I was looking to get more into his character. Could you recommend me some stuff from the 80s and 90s

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.