Follow

Punisher

Character » Punisher appears in 2804 issues.

When U.S. Marine veteran Frank Castle's family's was murdered for witnessing a mob hit, the man vowed to avenge their deaths and became a one-man army in his personal war against the criminal underworld. With a distinct death's head skull adorning his chest, Frank Castle became the vigilante known as the Punisher.

All New Punisher Thread

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@jonny_anonymous said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@daredevil21134: nice choice. Have you checked the new book back out yet?

I read 1-3

Planning to keep going?

Well I think it's good but they're are so many books I want from Marvel and i'm not sure if I can afford it lol

@jonny_anonymous said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

I read 1-3

Planning to keep going?

Well I think it's good but they're are so many books I want from Marvel and i'm not sure if I can afford it lol

Booooooo!

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#52  Edited By daredevil21134

@daredevil21134 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

I read 1-3

Planning to keep going?

@daredevil21134 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

I read 1-3

Planning to keep going?

Booooooo!

I know

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

This is great

No Caption Provided

Tensta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tensta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Tensta

Thanks, I could put that on my wall, easily

Tensta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Tensta

Some favorite Punisher artists

Jim Lee. Marco Checchetto, Mark Texeira, Laurence Campbell

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tensta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Tensta

Tim Bradstreet

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@tensta: Love that black & white one

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@tensta: @daredevil21134:

This June, the Punisher going back to his roots as a U.S. Marine, and series writer Nathan Edmondson has called in some unique back-up to take point.

For June’s The Punisher #7 and July’s The Punisher #8, Edmondson will be joined by acclaimed author/journalist Kevin Maurer. A man who’s covered modern warfare as an embedded journalist overseas with special forces and also co-wrote books like No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission that Killed Osama bin Laden. As it turns out, Maurer is old friends with Edmondson after getting in working as an advisor on the comics writer’s previous special forces bookThe Activity, and Maurer was called in here to add authenticity and experience to a story about Frank Castle on the frontlines of the U.S. drug war in South America.

“In a nutshell, Frank finds himself with a Special Forces soldier on a mission that has gone horribly wrong,” Maurer tells Newsarama. “Frank and the soldier have to team up to escape. At the end, my hope is readers will get why Special Forces soldiers wear Punisher skull patches.”

The Punisher logo is a popular symbol amongst the military, being used as part of patches soldiers wear, as well as being spraypainted inside firebases in Afghanistan; the Punisher was even taken as a name for a new advanced air grenade launcher introduced in 2013. With this fictional story, Maurer and Edmondson seized the opportunity to illustrate that connection in a story with the Punisher himself.

“It’s a story that helps bridge that gap between the comic book (anti-) hero and the skull icon that’s so prevalent, especially in the world of firearms and combat,” Edmondson explains. “It’s a story about the Punisher being thrown back into the world of a Marine, dealing with other soldiers with none of his usual resources or orientation. And there’s one scary and familiar face in there.”

Although Edmondson is the series writer of The Punisher and will continue solo after this arc, the comics writer let Maurer take point in the writing of these two issues. Edmondson assisted to a degree in co-putting and dialogue to maintain continuity with the series as a whole, but Edmondson says the story and scripts are Maurer’s and that he’s “a complete natural.”

“Kevin’s experience and perspective both bring something fresh to the storyline; but more than that I think his time in the dust, hearing enemy fire, marching with Green Berets and reading comics, gives this story some true grit,” Edmondson points out. “He’s a fantastic journalist who’s sought out some very tough stories and that discipline came with him to the script.”

This will be Maurer’s debut in comics, but he’s been working for a while on another forthcoming project – a series at 12 Gauge called Skull One Six with artist Tony Shasteen. Edmondson describes Maurer as a long-time Punisher fan, and Maurer himself says he loves the unique storytelling nature that comic books as a medium brings.

“Telling a story is the same in books, news stories or comics. But there is something special about merging words with art,” the journalist explains. “It is a thrill to see pages come back and see how the art brings the story to life.”

Maurer says that it helps that his comics debut is with the Punisher, not because he’s a big fan but because he’s “a normal dude.”

I tried to keep in mind that Frank was a Marine first,” Maurer points out. “Gen. John J. 'Black Jack' Pershing had a great quote about the Marines: 'The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!' Frank’s Marine background was never far from my mind when I started working on this project. Plus, it helps that Mitch Gerads has drawn the Punisher with a lot of authentic gear.”

Working witih Edmondson and Maurer on this two-part story is Spanish artist Carmen Carmero. Carmero made his professional debut last year in X-Factor, and in a short amount of time has led a diverse career drawing Justice League, Shadowman andSuperior Foes of Spider-Man.

Newsarama asked Maurer for his appraisal of Frank Castle, the Punisher, especially in light of his extended tours with real special forces soldiers overseas. Maurer analysis of Castle says part of the appeal of the character is that he’s “revenge personified.”

“There is something satisfying about getting back at the bad guys, and the Punisher does that. But I also like his sense of honor,” Maurer points out. “It is easy to trace his sense of honor back to his training as a Marine. I think the hard part about the Punisher is he is so driven that sometimes he comes off as one note. My hope is this story shows his military roots and his respect for the brotherhood that exists between soldiers, Marines and airmen.”

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Very interesting

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sware I find Daredevil and Punisher the most interesting characters,I've stumbled upon

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sware I find Daredevil and Punisher the most interesting characters,I've stumbled upon

They are pretty great

Tensta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maurer seems like just the right guy to write about Franks marine background and I'm really exited about this

Thanks for sharing!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@flameboy298: @daredevil21134: @tensta:

CBR News: It feels like with each subsequent issue of "The Punisher," the threat Frank is facing in Los Angeles has grown exponentially. First, it was just the Dos Soles Cartel. Then it was Electro, who was working as an enforcer for the Dos Soles thanks to the machinations of A.I.M. Then, in Issue #4, you reveal that A.I.M. has a larger interest in what's going on in L.A. What made you want to bring A.I.M. into this series? What do you find most interesting about their current incarnation which is lead by Supreme Scientist Andrew Forson and his high council?

Life in Los Angeles intensifies for Frank Castle in "The Punisher" #5

Nathan Edmondson: A.I.M.'s interest is not to be confused with that of the Dos Soles, and A.I.M.'s involvement here may not end (or begin) in "The Punisher."

We (and I) have some plans for the terrorist act and geopolitical machinations outside of "The Punisher," and the Punisher, stirring pots in the Marvel U, can't help but find himself mixed up in some of that -- whatever that may be.

Mitch Gerads: We really start to see in this first arc just how many threats are working against Frank, either directly or indirectly. A.I.M being one of them. They have such amazing potential to be a really scary and serious threat to everyone in the Marvel U. Plus, drawing those beekeeper suits is really fun.

At the end of "Punisher" #4, you reveal that A.I.M's chosen agent in Los Angeles is Domino. What can you tell us about Domino's motivation for accepting an assignment from A.I.M.? Is she happy to be working for Forson?

Edmondson: We can't talk about her motivation, no -- and it might be some time before you learn much about that -- but I can say that no, she's not happy about what she's doing, nor for whom she's doing it.

CBR TV: Edmondson on "Punisher" and His Epic "Rizzoli & Isles" Story

Nathan, what's it like bringing Domino and her luck powers into "Punisher?" Are her mutant abilities a pretty easy fit for this series? And Mitch, which aspects of Domino's character do you really want to capture and bring forward in your art?

Edmondson: Her role in "The Punisher" -- for the near future -- is pretty minimal, and we won't get too much exposure to her powers in the short run. Eventually we will, and we're going to have lots of fun doing it.

Gerads: Domino is one of those characters that I've always been fond of. She came about right when I was seriously into collecting comics, especially the X-titles, so I've always had this soft spot for the character. Something I really want to play up is those luck powers. I think her powers are what sets her aside and makes her special. I really want to bring a lot of "near miss" and "perfect timing" to the way I illustrate her in a scene, a lot of subtlety.

Of course, Domino isn't the only operative of A.I.M. in this story as Electro is also on the pay roll. You've hinted that Max Dillon may have his own agenda, so I'm curious as to your sense of the character and how he views himself. Does Electro have a personal code he follows with regard to his criminal activities? When Electro becomes embroiled in larger scale super criminal activities, he's often working for someone who's orchestrated the scheme. So do you think Max Dillon feels he could be a mastermind on the scale of Doc Ock or the Kingpin? Or does he see himself purely as muscle?

EXCLUSIVE: An early look at Mitch Gerads' art from "The Punisher" #5

Edmondson: "Purely as muscle" is perhaps too strong, but I don't see him as the strategist; we refer to him early in the series, before we've seen him, as "a weapon." For the sake of our story, that's more or less what he is to both the Dos Soles and to A.I.M. who have, somehow, arranged for him to help the gang. Part of what makes Electro an interesting threat against the Punisher, here, is that he's more or less "slumming it," just doing a favor. Almost like he's helping a friend move. No big deal. Kid stuff. But for Frank? This is the (or a) fight of his life.

Another character whose loyalties appear to be in question is the LAPD's Officer Stone, who seems conflicted about whether the Punisher or the Police have a better approach to combating the chaos that's currently gripping L.A. What can you tell us about Sam's mental state going into Issue #5?

Edmondson: As things get hairier in LA (and I'm not just talking about Frank's stubble), Sammy's worldview will be shaken more and more. The question is, when things truly fall apart for her, how will she react? What will she do? She's flirting with the idea of the Punisher right now, but will that flirtation turn into something greater, or will the beast bite her when she extends her hand?

Mitch, what's your sense of Officer Stone? The sequence with her working out while the news was playing in the background felt like she was preparing for war. It almost felt like something we'd see Frank do.

Gerads: I think Sammy is coming to a crossroads in her life. She's starting to question what works and what doesn't when it comes to being an enforcer of the law in LA, especially since the Punisher has shown up on her turf. Right now, she's hearing the stories at the water cooler, seeing the reports on TV and really having a tough time figuring out if the Punisher is a criminal or a savior and what that means to her. She might also just have been working off those maple bacon donuts at the Nickel Diner.

Mitch, while we're on the topic of Issue #4, last time we spoke, you mentioned that you crossed off another one of your artistic goals for the "Punisher" series in that issue. What was it?

Gerads: Before I even started work on "The Punisher," I had two personal funny goals for myself. I thought it would take me much longer to get to them. [Laughs] The first was lighting a Punisher scene in pink (Issue #2), and the second was making Frank cry. [Laughs] Granted, it was done in a flashback scene that could make a granite statue cry, but it still counts!

What do the upcoming issues mean for Frank's war against the Dos Soles and their secret A.I.M. backers? How big a role will the Howling Commandos play in this story? Will we get some more clues into the mystery of why they were sent after Frank and who ordered them to kill the Punisher?

EXCLUSIVE ART: Edmondson and Gerads are "playing the long game" in "The Punisher"

Edmondson: It's important first to recognize that the story we're telling won't end with Issue #6. Yes, there will be some resolution, and in Issue #6, we rise through a major battle, but Frank's war continues on -- and certainly in some unexpected ways...

Gerads: We're definitely playing a long game on this series. Nathan and I have big ideas, and we can't go through the entire clip just yet! Things get really tense in Issues #5 and #6. A storm moves into Los Angeles, both figuratively and literally, and all the threats in Frank's life seem to be tightening the noose at a rapid pace.

I understand that New York Times Best Selling Author and military journalist Kevin Maurer, the writer of "No Easy Day," is joining you for "Punisher" #7. How did this come about? What's it like collaborating with Kevin? Was he a comic fan and a Punisher fan?

Edmondson: Kevin's the dude. This guy knows more about the world of the military and bad-asses in fatigues than most people I've ever come across; he's a huge comics fan and he helped us a great deal on "The Activity." You'll find, too, that he's a natural talent. Most of the story and writing credit for those two issues is his; he has a great vision for Frank and really gets the Marvel Universe. We're more than excited to have him on board. I think after these two issues, you'll find Marvel offering him something else -- and with books like his "Gentlemen Bastards" and the upcoming "No Easy Day prequel," hopefully he'll have time!

Gerads: Kevin is a good friend and I cannot wait to have him on board. Aside from being an absolute wealth of military spec ops knowledge (He's been an embedded journalist with the US Special Forces) Kevin is a spectacular "idea-man" and a huge comics fan to boot! The man knows his Marvel U front and back! I really do think he'll be a big name in comics.

I am genuinely having an absolute blast on this book, and we have so much badassery in store for you. The fan reaction has been immense! It really fuels the fire and I cannot wait for you to see what we have coming up!

Edmondson: We've got some really, really exciting stuff coming, and again, we are playing the long game, here. Be ready!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Frank pulling a Bucky

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Tensta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous:

We (and I) have some plans for the terrorist act and geopolitical machinations outside of "The Punisher," and the Punisher, stirring pots in the Marvel U, can't help but find himself mixed up in some of that -- whatever that may be.

I like the part of The Punisher stirring pots in the MU. As long as things don´t snowball into a mess of crossovers I´d love to see him used more in the Marvel Universe

Domino is one of those characters that I've always been fond of. She came about right when I was seriously into collecting comics, especially the X-titles, so I've always had this soft spot for the character. Something I really want to play up is those luck powers. I think her powers are what sets her aside and makes her special. I really want to bring a lot of "near miss" and "perfect timing" to the way I illustrate her in a scene, a lot of subtlety.

I agree, loved her since the 90´s X-Force, my favorite title at the time besides Punisher. Can´t wait to see her illustraded the way he described her scenes.

Part of what makes Electro an interesting threat against the Punisher, here, is that he's more or less "slumming it," just doing a favor. Almost like he's helping a friend move. No big deal. Kid stuff. But for Frank? This is the (or a) fight of his life.

Sounds logical

Sammy's worldview will be shaken more and more. The question is, when things truly fall apart for her, how will she react? What will she do? She's flirting with the idea of the Punisher right now, but will that flirtation turn into something greater, or will the beast bite her when she extends her hand?

Still prefer Cole Alves

Gerads: We're definitely playing a long game on this series. Nathan and I have big ideas, and we can't go through the entire clip just yet! Things get really tense in Issues #5 and #6. A storm moves into Los Angeles, both figuratively and literally, and all the threats in Frank's life seem to be tightening the noose at a rapid pace.

I´ve heard sales haven´t been going too well, hope I heard wrong but we all remember what happened to Ruckas run

Gerads: Kevin is a good friend and I cannot wait to have him on board. Aside from being an absolute wealth of military spec ops knowledge (He's been an embedded journalist with the US Special Forces) Kevin is a spectacular "idea-man" and a huge comics fan to boot! The man knows his Marvel U front and back! I really do think he'll be a big name in comics.

Sounds really interesting to me - just like when I googeled Jonathan Maberry and read that his early books dealt mainly with martial arts and self-defense and thought this guy can probably write a good Punisher story. Looking forward to #7

Again, thanks for posting!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tensta: Well the main reason Rucka's Punisher ended was because he fell out with Marvel over the character being used in the Thunderbolts

Tensta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tensta: I wonder why more people don't pick this up?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    No Caption Provided

NEW YORK TIMES BEST-SELLING AUTHOR KEVIN MAURER (NO EASY DAY) JOINS NATHAN EDMONDSON FOR THE CONCLUSION OF THEIR HARD-HITTING TALE OF JUNGLE WARFARE!

• A wounded Frank Castle and a Special Forces medic hazard dangerous terrain and merciless mercenaries to make their escape

• Crossbones and his crew won’t stop until the Punisher is in their custody.

• It’s a race for survival not to be missed as Frank’s adventure south of the border comes to its blood-soaked end!

@tensta: Punisher vs Crossbones I CAN'T WAIT!

Tensta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bionder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 2

#76  Edited By bionder

Finally someone remembered that these two should meet.

I'm looking forward for Punisher vs Thunderbolts!

No Caption Provided

THUNDERBOLTS #28

BEN ACKER & BEN BLACKER (W)

CARLO BARBERI (A)

Cover by DAVID YARDIN

• THE PUNISHER vs. THE THUNDERBOLTS, PART TWO • As Frank moves in to take out his former allies…

• …Another former Thunderbolt closes in on them both!

Tensta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bionder: Can´t wait til #28. So,looks like he´ll be leaving the Thunderbolts (?)

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bionder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it doesn't make sense if he will fight them and in the end doesn't leave. But with Marvel everything is possible.

Tensta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Tensta

Unless there's some sort of mind controll going on with him or the team, anything's possible as said

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tensta: @bionder: Punisher, Elektra and Venom should really all leave the team since they are up to other stuff.

Tensta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I'm thinking about it. As a fan, of course I'd like to see him in as many titles as possible. On the other hand, his stint in Thunderbolts won't go down in history as the greatest Punisher run ever told.

Nah, lets put him in 10 more titels, I'm used to a character multitasking in plentitude of comics. Bring it on, I'll pay lol

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@tensta: I think he should leave Thunderbolts and get a Howling Commandos book with him leading

bionder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally i don't want him in 10000 titles like Deadpool or Wolverine. That didn't work out in 90's when he was pretty much popular with 3 books ongoing and appear on (almost) every book.

I want the Punisher to have his own SOLID book and operating in his own "niche" and i want miniseries to be launched occasionally written by other writers.

I don't want him to make crap appearences, i want him to make something relevant in MU and let's hope he does it, in the upcoming event with death of the Watcher.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bionder: It's still weird seeing him with Strange

bionder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Well sure, they have nothing to do with each other, but i remember that back into the 90's they worked together in Secret Defenders.

From what i've seen in the latest news about this event the Punisher will work as a "detective" to sort out who killed the Watcher. To be honest, i'm kind of curious to see how Jason Aaron will do this and if it will work. Maybe we are close to a new set of skills to the Punisher, let's hope it works.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bionder: Well being former black ops investigation should be in his repertoire

Tensta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Tensta

Of course no one wants to see him or any other character for that matter in a plethora of titles.
    (Back in the early 80´s I started to collect everyting involving Wolverine and I had to give that up some years later - he was everywhere, hence my joke about characters multitasking in 10 titles at once)
    Most fans wants a solid title and minis to follow in it´s wake, no appearances just for the sake of it and of course relevance in that comic universe, that goes without saying.
    I too remember Punisher in the 90´s and not always fondly
    Aaron describes Strange/Punisher as a "buddy cop movie" and that he had a lot of fun with the characters. The more I read about Original Sin the more interested I become
    kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#89  Edited By kidchipotle
    No Caption Provided

This pic is pretty cool of Frank.

bionder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By bionder

@tensta: I get more interested too, specially to see how Aaron will portray the character.. He has told in an interview that will be Ennis Punisher. The wait is almost over, next month we will see.

Tensta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Tensta

@bionder: Good news then about the portrayal, at least to me.

All I´ve read from Aaron (besides his Punisher MAX) is current Thor-God of Thunder which I truly enjoy - epic and charming at the same time.

Looking forward to read his Punisher

Tensta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Tensta

Double post

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Yeah, you're right, he definitely does . I think it's cool though, he should wear that face paint as intimidation.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.