A PUNISHER TV Show Coming To Fox?

• 84 results
Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
This Sunday, on THE PUNISHER...

If all of these pilots make it to series, will the comics omniverse be able to handle DC and Marvel TV shows running on Fox at the same time? Deadline has just reported that Fox is now developing a pilot based on THE PUNISHER with Ed Bernero of CRIMINAL MINDS supervising it. You maniacs might recall that a SPECTRE show's also being developed on Fox and, last season, ABC started putting together HULK and A.K.A. JESSICA JONES (re-titled from ALIAS to presumably avoid confusion with that Jennifer Garner show.) The logline for this series recasts Big Frank as a “rising star” NYPD detective by day and a homicidal vigilante at night.

Interestingly, Marvel Studios announced a few months back that they'd reacquired the PUNISHER film rights from Lionsgate and were looking in to developing Mr. Castle for another, more faithful, go at the big screen. Seems like plans have changed a little since then.

For as high a regard as I hold the MAX series, I can understand how a grizzled 60-year-old Vietnam veteran who kills criminal round-the-clock would be an incredibly hard sell for TV without considerable softening. Still, given how inherently hardcore the Punisher needs to be, I wonder if such a show would be better suited to Fox’s cable affiliate FX. If THE SHIELD has left any precedents, it could get away with a whole lot of violence.

#1 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8871 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they do a good job with Punisher but I have a feeling this will not work but I guess we will have to see

#2 Posted by Atomic_Punk (103 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank God, Fox has found a way to simultaneously ruin Punisher AND address the drastic need for more cop shows on TV! Brilliant!

#3 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3547 posts) - - Show Bio

How could you do Punisher on TV?? An R-Rated movie would work, but I don't think a TV-MA would be able to be as faithful. Also, I'm not sure I'd want to watch a weekly Punisher show.

#4 Posted by NightFang (9868 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll give it a chance of its good.

#5 Posted by WildStyle (331 posts) - - Show Bio

The Punisher is one Marvel character I always thought would do well as a tv series. All you would need is a lot of guns, explosions, and show Frank Castle wrecking shit every week. I'd still prefer this on a cable network but something is better than nothing so I'm not complaining.

#6 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4157 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt this will actually air on the Fox network, I think a lot of times when people say Fox they mean the over all company and not just the network, there is no way a weekly Punisher show would succeed on regular network television, it needs to air on FX and most likely will if he ever airs. If they can get away with some of the stuff on Sons of Anarchy and what they use to have on The Shield FX is the perfect place for The Punisher.

#7 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

"The logline for this series recasts Big Frank as a “rising star” NYPD detective by day and a homicidal vigilante at night." 

Really? The Punisher writes himself. How can they keep finding ways to ruin him O_o

#8 Posted by Dernman (14726 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it would do well on a channels like HBO,Showtime, and Stars but on Fox?

The would have to tone it down big time and even if they managed to make it good Fox has a history of canceling great shows.

#9 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmmmm, seems like a noble effort but I don't even think it will get off the ground in my opinion.

#10 Posted by Burnstar1230 (209 posts) - - Show Bio

Strike 1: M.A.N.T.I.S. : A crippled scientist designs a suit that allows him to walk and fight crime like Batman (Or Batgirl). The series finale has him killed by an invisible dinosaur created by aliens.....

Strike 2: Generation X TV Movie: Jubilee as a white teenaged girl, Banshee without the irish accent, Emma without the British Accent, two kids that don't exist in any other marvel media with weird powers, and a villain that made Adam West's Batman villains seem like Joker in The Killing Joke, with bad special effects, even for a 90's TV Movie and the acting was atrocious.

Strike 3: Brimstone: A cop who was sent to Hell is given a second chance at life if he captures the souls of demons that somehow managed to escape. The Devil, played by Lionel Luthor on Smallville (his name escapes my mind at the time), allows him to use what he had on him at the time of his death, which is basically pocket change and his gun. He's also given a Penance Stare to use against those demons. Pretty much Ghost Rider without the flaming skull head, the motorcycle, and the interest.

All three were shown on Fox and have not last past teh first season, or in the case of Gen.X, only shown once....

FX May be alright, but then again, it also sounds like they're basically taking the concept of The Shield and placing a famous Marvel character on the title.

#11 Posted by Man of Lengend (1001 posts) - - Show Bio

honestly i think this is the only way to give the punisher justice. To think about it i think daredevil and deadpool would work for the small screen too

#12 Posted by _Zombie_ (10312 posts) - - Show Bio
F**k you Fox.. f**k you.
#13 Edited by Bionder (290 posts) - - Show Bio

For me this is based on the Punisher, not "The Punisher". For what i understand he is a cop during the day and a vigilante by night. I know in the "Ultimate" world he were a cop but how he will keep his job and be a vigilante? Be or act like Dexter? Let's give it a chance, but i got a bad feeling about this..

#14 Posted by nobodythere (86 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember being excited for the Crow television show when it was in development. Was hoping there would finally be a faithful adaptation of the book. Instead he cried black ink and fought snakes. Then there was the Blade television show, was also looking forward to that. Didn't get past the first half hour of the pilot before I turned it off. Maybe I expect too much, maybe not. Must say, with Ed Bernero mentioned, I am a little hopeful for a Punisher show. Do love Criminal Minds a great deal.

#15 Edited by ArtisticNeedham (2232 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe we will finally see Frank target several, unconnected, variety of criminals on a regular basis instead of one crime family who he has a personal grudge against. I always wanted to see him target this criminal and then a different one and then another one to show he is the Punisher of all criminals.

I also heard that is why having his family killed by a random mugger/drug addict is better. Because it shows that his family wasn't targeted by a specific person just crime killed them so now he must Punish all criminals.

Don't like the cop thing though. once his family is killed he drops out of the world I thought.

#16 Posted by SuperDoahBoy (134 posts) - - Show Bio

The first time I heard about this I read the producers where shooting for a premium (their word not mine) channel like Showtime. At the same time I heard there may be a Cloak & Dagger show...on ABC Family.

#17 Posted by Omegalpha (61 posts) - - Show Bio

Already hate it, just based on the cop angle.

It is basically Punisher as Dexter.

#18 Posted by Overload17 (15 posts) - - Show Bio

They could easily create a good series about the Punisher.. But they're just gonna screw it up..

#19 Posted by Bionder (290 posts) - - Show Bio

@ArtisticNeedham: The grudge he has is against all sorts of crime, not only for the mob or a specific crime family.

#20 Posted by Wolfthomas (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the only people who could do the Punisher justice would be HBO, also as a rule you don't change the Vietnam origin.

#21 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32675 posts) - - Show Bio

This will not be good

#22 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully this won't see the light of day on Fox nor any other TV station for that matter. Glad to know Marvel re-acquired the rights to Punisher, had no idea that happened!

Let's hope more of Marvel's stable of characters fall back into the right hands. Please.

#23 Posted by ZORN (1605 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wolfthomas said:

I think the only people who could do the Punisher justice would be HBO, also as a rule you don't change the Vietnam origin.

I'm pretty sure Greg Rucka has changed it, not that it matters, he's still the Punisher regardless, and Ultimate Punisher was a cop, besides his incompetence in the Ultimate Avengers vs Ultimates he wasn't that annoying.

#24 Posted by higher_evolutionary (2015 posts) - - Show Bio
@Overload17 said:

They could easily create a good series about the Punisher.. But they're just gonna screw it up..

obviously
#25 Posted by Oedipus_Rex (40 posts) - - Show Bio

If they're going to change it this much, why not call it anything else besides "Punisher"? Better still, make a "Fool Killer" TV series instead.

#26 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

At first I thought it could be a good idea but... on FOX??

With silly forced PG ratings, Fox mentality and the way to cancel TV shows after only a season if they don't get "blockbuster" ratings... (hey! not all shows can manage to beat Lost season 1's ratings from the start without a good marketing ya know!)

#27 Edited by All_Around_Nerd (58 posts) - - Show Bio

the punisher would be a hard TV adaptation so stop whining they will probably put it on FX instead.

#28 Posted by Dedpool (299 posts) - - Show Bio

The idea itself with the slight change to the character has potential, but that immediately is killed by it being on Fox. and not Showtime, HBO, Starz, or FX even. The Thomas Jane film had the right tone, but the setting was all wrong, and there wasn't enough action or violence. War Zone was violent enough with decent action, the right setting, but the tone was a little too campy or over the top. As I said above, using this version would allow for some deeper story elements because lets face it the Punisher himself doesn't really lend to good storytelling, it's the criminals and that really move the story, and Frank's unrelelnting pursuit that makes the stories. Add in that he's now a cop and there's a Punisher Task Force (if they go that route) he's going to have a hard time keeping his secret without it causing serious issues for him.

#29 Posted by The_Mercenary (1885 posts) - - Show Bio

Why all these lame characters? Spectre? JESSICA JONES?

Are.You.Joking?

Who's going to watch that pathetic stuff. Give us a Batman series, or a Fantastic Four. Not second-rate B listers. Cheapskate losers.

#30 Posted by sladewilson30 (219 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally, a Spectre and a Punisher t.v show, awesome. I just hope they will be as dark as the comics.

#31 Edited by pikahyper (11487 posts) - - Show Bio

After what they did to the Human Target I hope Punisher never see's the light of day...

If they want to start pumping out more comic movies I'm all for it but I'd be very happy if they stuck to only comic book cartoons on the small screen cause very few live action properties can work with the small budgets.

#32 Posted by moviegeek17 (1474 posts) - - Show Bio

hey fox why don't you turn rucka's recent run on the punisher into a tv series? oh yeah thats right i forgot that you aren't logical with your shows....

#33 Posted by Chris2KLee (173 posts) - - Show Bio

I can understand wanting to not have an older grizzled Frank, but the key to Punisher is to make it dark. Frank Castle is a psychopath who, luckily for society, only targets criminals. Trying to make him have a duel identity seems silly. The Punisher would only fake a cover long enough to get in range of his target and then dispose of it just as quickly.

#34 Posted by Shamelesslysupportinaznballers (553 posts) - - Show Bio

I can see the cop angle working and realistically, Frank Castle as a cop makes much more sense then some Middle East (assuming will update his background like Iron Man) vet who saw random violence & all of a sudden has this ridiculous amount of gear & intel. Having access to information that a detective has would allow someone like Frank to do what he does best even better. Also it could show the readers how the system constantly fails and maybe combined with his family being gun down making him into the Punisher.

And if this show turns out to be like Dexter with guns, then so what. Dexter is great, Dexter with big guns would be greater.

But I have to agree with it being on Fox. Hopefully it's shown on another station and has some small ties to the Marvel Movies.

#35 Posted by shrmntnk62 (251 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure a Punisher show will be great. But it won't matter because Fox will pull the plug. Thats what they do.

#36 Posted by Red Rum (357 posts) - - Show Bio

Episode 1: Frank murders Ludacris' rapist character from Law & Order: SVU.

#37 Posted by WonderBoy1132 (276 posts) - - Show Bio

They need to stop attempting to make a Punisher franchise. It didn't work the first three times (or how many times they did it) so why would it work now. The movies were awful. How about we move on to another superhero in the marvel universe? I'm sure there is one out there that can be far more successful and interesting.

Sometimes Hollywood frustrates me.

#38 Posted by Billy Batson (57753 posts) - - Show Bio

problem?
BB

#39 Posted by LordTaronji101 (277 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wolfthomas: agreed

#40 Posted by RichyRich (55 posts) - - Show Bio

I want a show about Ben Urich. And have DareDevil be like a background character. Or even a Gotham Central. Shows about side characters and their opinions on the Vigilantes that take matters into their own hands

#41 Posted by Pokeysteve (8028 posts) - - Show Bio

They could make it work on Fox. Just cut away as Frank does his punishing. I hope this never makes it to screen simply because they're changing his origin. They took an experienced war veteran and turned him into Bronson. Why is Hollywood always changing these characters histories. I understand they can't find a 50 - 60 year old guy to beat the crap out of people but there has to be a better update then the NYPD.

Got my hopes up for another movie though.

#42 Posted by RavenT2 (655 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as it makes sense, I'm all for it.

#43 Posted by fACEmelter88 (609 posts) - - Show Bio

Whatever...as long as he has a skull on his shirt and he's killing bad guys it's ok with me

#44 Posted by Burnstar1230 (209 posts) - - Show Bio

There's also the point that Smallville is the only comic-book live action series that really worked, and even then it wasn't all that great.

#45 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio
@Wolfthomas said:

or Cinemax...
#46 Posted by horshbox (69 posts) - - Show Bio

Punisher Tv series = Win!

Punisher Tv series on Fox = Fail

I'm sorry but when I read about this this morning I was like oh ffs why fox and what are they doing to the character! It's like they saw dexter and were like oh that works lets copy that with a known comic book character. Punisher really has to be on something like HBO or Showtime and stick close to the Max series one that has character moments but also the action you want while not going over the top like War Zone did.

#47 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2232 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bionder: Yeah, but in the movies (except the one I didn't see) it was against a specific family and not all crime. Thats what I meant, the movies haven't shown that.

#48 Posted by pahphoenix (36 posts) - - Show Bio

there is no way this could do anything but SUCK on network tv

#49 Posted by slapz88 (47 posts) - - Show Bio

A punisher series could only work on HBO. They have the best writers, movie quality, and there ratings are practically non existent. Punisher on prime time channel fox is going to suck. If it was moved to FX it could possibly make it. FOX though we might as well be making the headstone for it now.

#50 Posted by Gordo789 (201 posts) - - Show Bio

This could be alright. I thought a couple of seasons of 24 were alright, and that show was pretty violent. I just don't see that The Punisher works very well outside of comics. Except for maybe that Dolph Lundgren movie, that was tops.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.