Follow

Public Domain Characters

Concept » Public Domain Characters appears in 4218 issues.

Today there are a wealth of Golden and Silver Age comic book characters who have fallen into Public Domain. This is a list of such characters.

The Public Domain Characters of Project Superpowers

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

Edited By turoksonofstone

Some of these appear as main characters in the series, others only in cameos or in this now familiar  “Gallery of the Public Domain Heroes of the Golden Age”.

Each character is listed with his first appearance and his/her original publisher.

Top:

Hydro-Man (Reg' lar Fellers #1 1940 Eastern Color Printing) Fighting Yank (Startling Comics #10 1941 Nedor/Better/Standard Comics) Silver Streak (Silver Streak Comics #3 1939 Lev Gleason Publications) Captain Future (or Major Mars) (Startling Comics #1 1940 Nedor/Better/Standard Comics) The Woman in Red (Thrilling Comics #2 1940 Nedor/Better/Standard Comics) The Target & The Targeteers (Target Comics #10 1940 Funnies Inc/Novelty Close Inc)

Bottom:

Cat-man (Crash landing Comics #4 1940 Holyoke/Tem Publishing) Kitten (Cat.man Comics #5 1941 Holyoke/Tem Publishing) The Owl (Crackerjack Funnies #25 1940 Dell Publishing) Strongman (Crash landing Comics #1 1940 Holyoke/Tem Publishing) Major Victory (Dynamic Comics #1 1941 Harry “has” Chesler Dynamic Publications) Dynamic Man (Dynamic Comics #1 1941 Harry “has” Chesler Dynamic Publications) Dynamic  Boy (Dynamic Comics #11 1941 Harry “has” Chesler Dynamic Publications)

Top:

The Green Mask (Mystery Men Comics #1 1939 Fox Features Syndicate) Domino (The Green Mask #1 1940 Fox Features Syndicate) US Jones (Wonderworld Comics #28 1941 Fox Features Syndicate) Blue Bolt (Blue Bolt #1 1940 Funnies Inc/Novelty Close Inc) Sub-Zero Man (Blue Bolt #1 1940 Funnies Inc/Novelty Close Inc) Captain Battle (Silver Streak Comics #10 1941 Lev Gleason Publications) Captain Battle Jr (it is a mixing of Captain Battle Jr (the name) + Hale Battle (costume) Silver Streak Comics #10/12 1941 Lev Gleason Publications) Daredevil (Silver Streak Comics #6 1940 Lev Gleason Publications)

Bottom:

Black Terror (Exciting Comics #9 1941 Standard Nedor/Better/Comics) Kid-Terror (Exciting Comics #9 1941 Standard Nedor/Better/Comics) Amazing-Man (Amazing-Man Comics #5 1939 Centaur Publications) The Arrow (Funny Pages Flight 2 #10 1939 Centaur Publications) Vulcan (Super-Mystery Comics #1 1940 Ace Magazines (Periodical House)) Pyroman (Startling Comics #18 1942 Standard Nedor/Better/Comics) The Liberator (Exciting Comics #15 1941 Standard Nedor/Better/Comics)

Top:

Flash Lightning (Sure-Fire Comics #1 1940 Ace Magazines (Periodical House)) (also called lash) Lightning Girl (Lightning Comics Flight 3 #1 1942 Ace Magazines (Periodical House)) Raven (Sure-Fire Comics #1 1940 Ace Magazines (Periodical House)) Unknown Soldier (Our Flag Comics #1 1941 Ace Magazines (Periodical House)) The Sword (Captain Courageous Comics #6 1941 Ace Magazines (Periodical House)) The Flag (Our Flag Comics #2 1941 Ace Magazines (Periodical House)) Green LAMA (Prize Comics #7 1940 Prize Publications)

Bottom:

American Crusader (Thrilling Comics #19 1941 Standard Nedor/Better/Comics) American Eagle (America' S Best Comics #2 1942 Standard Nedor/Better/Comics) Skyman (Big Shot Comics #1 1940 Columbia Comic Corporation) Mr. Face ((The Face) Big Shot Comics #1 1940 Columbia Comic Corporation)) Marvelo (Big Shot Comics #1 1940 Columbia Comic Corporation) Captain Courageous (Banner Comics #3 1941 Ace Magazines (Periodical House)) Super-American The (Fight Comics #15 1941 Fiction House Magazines)

Top:

The Flame (Wonderworld Comics #3 1939 Fox Features Syndicate) Flame Girl (Wonderworld Comics #30 1941 Fox Features Syndicate) Blue Beetle-(Mystery Men Comics #1 1939 Fox Features Syndicate) Sparky (Blue Beetle Comics #14 1940 Fox Features Syndicate) Samson (Fantastic Comics #1 1939 Fox Features Syndicate) David (Fantastic Comics #10 1940 Fox Features Syndicate) V-Man & The V-boys (V… - Comics #1 1942 Fox Features Syndicate)

Bottom:

Cyclone (Whirlwind Comics #1 1940 Nita Publications) Grim Reaper (Fighting Yank #7 1943 Standard Nedor/Better/Comics) Yellow Jacket (Yellow Jacket Comics #1 1944 Frank Communal) Black Venus (Contact Comics N (#1) 1944 Aviation Near) The Hood (Cat.man Comics #5 1941 Holyoke/Tem Publishing) Rocketman (Scoop Comics #1 1941 Harry “has” Chesler Dynamic Publication) Rocketgirl (Scoop Comics #1 1941 Harry “has” Chesler Dynamic Publications)

Top:

Man O' Metal (Reg' lar Fellers #7 Year 1941 Eastern Color Printing) Boy King (Clue Comics #1 1943 Hillman Periodicals) Golden Lad (Golden lad #1 1945 Spark/Fact&Fiction) Rainbow Boy (Reg' lar Fellers #14 1942 Eastern Color) Airman (Keen Detective Funnies #23 1940 Centaur Publications) Radior (Key Ring Comics #1 1941 Dell Publishing) Man of War (Liberty Scouts #2 1941 Centaur Publications),

Bottom:

The Black Owl II (Prize Comics #34 1943 Prize Publications) (Black Owl I appears in Prize Comics #2 1940 Prize Publications but considering the one has that came after was the father of Yank & Doodle) Yank & Doodle (Prize Comics #13 1941 Prize Publications) Sparkman (Sparkler Comics II#1 1941 United Features Syndicat) Doc. Strange (Thrilling Comics#1 1940 Nedor/Better/Standard Comics) The Dart & Ace (Amazing Boy) (Weird Comics #5 1940 Fox Features Syndicate)

From left to right:

Green Giant (Green Giant Comics (one shot) 1940 Pelican Publications), Phantasmo (The Funnies #45 1940 Dell Publishing),  Boy King and His Giant (Clue Comics #1 1943 Hillman Periodicals), The Claw (Silver Streak Comics #1 1941 Lev Gleason Publications)

Which are the best? 
    Which would you like to see more of?

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheCrowbar

None of them? Let the dead stay dead.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2  Edited By SC  Moderator

I like the gimmick of The Boy King and his Giant, and how exploitable that is. Also needs exploiting? Yank and Doodle.   

I would like to see Rockman and Rocketgirl updated and re-imagined

Man O Metal and The Sword, I like their looks too. I read a few issues of Project Superpowers and liked them.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By IrishX
    @TheCrowbar: 
    Is variety a bad thing? There are some cool characters here and I honestly don't understand what brings someone to a thread they seem to have no interest in. 

@turoksonofstone
    said:
    " Which are the best?  Which would you like to see more of?  "

This is the man and I hope Dynamite continues making comics for him..... 

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @IrishX said:
    " @TheCrowbar: 
    Is variety a bad thing? There are some cool characters here and I honestly don't understand what brings someone to a thread they seem to have no interest in. 

@turoksonofstone
    said:

"
    Simple, I read this post, thought about it. Looked these guys up. Didn't find anything interesting or innovative in them. If you're going to have variety, be sure it's not more of the same.
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By IrishX
    @TheCrowbar:
    You read the post, looked them up, thought about it...... and that simple smart-ass comment is what you came back with? That's funny.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @TheCrowbar: @IrishX: I agree with both of you, Phantasmo, does look like a bigger bulkier Son of Santa, I mean uh, Satan. Oh... neither of you said that... my bad. ^_^ 

I think Pyroman would look awesome with today's modern coloring and art techniques, and technology. 
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @IrishX said:

" @TheCrowbar: You read the post, looked them up, thought about it...... and that simple smart-ass comment is what you came back with? That's funny. "

Hostile much?

edit:

I'm criticizing comic book characters not your kid's piano recital
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Caligula
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DEGRAAF

They should all join the JSA in their new town and once they are all there and accounted for either send them all away to a planet in the Anti-matter universe or have a battle royale

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By Silkcuts
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Caligula
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @TheCrowbar said:

" @IrishX said:

" @TheCrowbar: You read the post, looked them up, thought about it...... and that simple smart-ass comment is what you came back with? That's funny. "

Hostile much?  edit:  I'm criticizing comic book characters not your kid's piano recital "

Mainli..er, TheCrowbar many of these characters have NO modern analogues.
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @TheCrowbar said:

" @IrishX said:

" @TheCrowbar: 

@turoksonofstone
    said:

"
    Simple, I read this post, thought about it. Looked these guys up. Didn't find anything interesting or innovative in them. If you're going to have variety, be sure it's not more of the same. "
    I'm just going to requote myself on this.

Variety that isn't intriguing or innovative. Having no modern analogue isn't a justification for their return.
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @TheCrowbar: 
    I'm not sure what you mean. 
     "Variety that isn't intriguing or innovative"
    Intriguing? this is a matter of opinion, We all have one.
    Innovative? these are in most cases the ORIGINALS, the very FIRST wave of superheroes, how could you get MORE innovative???
    Anyone who takes the time to learn about them will see for the most part they are awesome, And so is Alex Ross for bringing them back to the fore.
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @turoksonofstone said:
    " @TheCrowbar:  I'm not sure what you mean.   "Variety that isn't intriguing or innovative" Intriguing? this is a matter of opinion, We all have one. Innovative? these are in most cases the ORIGINALS, the very FIRST wave of superheroes, how could you get MORE innovative??? Anyone who takes the time to learn about them will see for the most part they are awesome, And so is Alex Ross for bringing them back to the fore. "
    Isn't that the point of this thread? Discussion and the exchange of opinions? 

Sorry, I was probably unclear, bringing them back isn't innovative, there are characters that already fill their roles now or their roles aren't intriguing. 
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @TheCrowbar said:
    " @turoksonofstone said:
    " @TheCrowbar:  I'm not sure what you mean.   "Variety that isn't intriguing or innovative" Intriguing? this is a matter of opinion, We all have one. Innovative? these are in most cases the ORIGINALS, the very FIRST wave of superheroes, how could you get MORE innovative??? Anyone who takes the time to learn about them will see for the most part they are awesome, And so is Alex Ross for bringing them back to the fore. "
    Isn't that the point of this thread? Discussion and the exchange of opinions? "Indeed It Is!"   

Sorry, I was probably unclear, bringing them back isn't innovative, there are characters that already fill their roles now or their roles aren't intriguing.  "I disagree, many of these are better than some of the Modern heroes.Their stories could be updated re-told and they are endlessly interesting to me."

Krakoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 215

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By Krakoa

I'd be down to read comics told in the classic style with just about any of these characters.

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @Krakoa: 
    Ross chose a strange smattering of what is actually available in the PD.
    Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Manchine

Some of these could easily be updated.  =)
    Krakoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 215

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By Krakoa
    @turoksonofstone: Any good upcoming jumping on points, or general recommendations?
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @Krakoa: 
    Project Superpowers is good, but the characters are mostly altered, Marvel has versions of a few which are underused. 
    My Advice to YOU is to look into the history of any PD hero you are interested in, and to read the original stories where you can.
    Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

User Lists: 87

#22  Edited By Liberty
    @TheCrowbar said:
    " None of them? Let the dead stay dead. "
    Lame.  Real lame.  Sad as well.  I read all the posts here.  Some people just like sticking their finger in the eye of others.  Unless you have another account... You have been on the vine for less than a  month.  You have done nothing but a few posts.  No lists, no blogs, no forums, no reviews, no wiki edits, just comments like the above.  Good job.  Why not post how these characters are like others if that is your opinion.  Give examples.  Show your thought process.  The blogs and forums are for opinions, but that doesn't mean shoot a quick quip and moving on.  Have a discussion.  The writer of this blog took a lot of time on it and you just piss on it and move on.  It is about having some sort of courtesy, class and decorum.  Please, voice you opinion but be thoughtful about it.  It is like writing a review.  If all you write is "It sucked"  you offered nothing and only showed your ignorance. 

Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Liberty

Here it goes a baker's dozen.  In order of greatness.

1. Blue Beetle:  I'm talking old school X-drug, Cop with a beat and a dead father origin and the whole pantheon of one of the coolest rouge galleries ever.  Read the mans page he was awesome.  Hell he had a radio show in the early 40's for crying out loud.  You can keep sparky too if you change the costume or give him the plains clothes look like in later adventures.
    2. Samson: Samson is awesome.  The more biblical you can make him the better.  Read Judges people this guy is not a saint but he rocks as a hero. 
    3. Black Venus:  What is their not to like about her.  Wow.  A woman who dresses in a skin tight black suit.  How can you go wrong?  She even has a cool name and being a woman she obviously come from Venus.  =]
    4. Black Terror:  Simply an awesome character and I love the addition of the sword in the Ross comics.  It is an obviously needed addition to the character.  I could take or leave the sidekick depending on how well he is portrayed. 
    5. Unknown Solider:  In a full @turoksonofstone:
      uniform (no shorts).  He would be a great.  I would even keep the garrison cap.  
    6. The woman in red: she is awesome and you don't even have to update the costume.  I would buy her books. 
    7. Rocket Man & Rocket Girl:  Hell Elton John already made his theme song =].
    8. Kitten: She is cool but only as a solo character....unless you drastically change Catman. 
    9. Man Of Metal:  This guy could be awesome if given if given a chance.  Again long pants.
    10. The Flame & Flame Girl:  One of the Big 3. I love this character and especially his sidekick.  Even if her name is Flame girl.
    11. Daredevil:  I was never a big fan until Project Superpowers.  He needs to loose the spike belt however. 
    12. Pyroman:  He is another character I got to love in Project Superpowers.
    13. Captain Future:  Captain Future needs long pants but could be great with that addition.  Not a big fan of dude in panties.  That is just me.

Bonus 
    1.  Rainbow Bear
       Rainbow Bear
      Rainbow Boy:  He would be...er never mind as crowbar might say he would suck.  I am completely against this in comics but would make an exception in this one case. m I would like to see him come back just to kill him off.  Then bring him back as double rainbow boy have him make a video on you tube and then kill his off again.  Is that too much?  I mean Rainbow Boy really?  That didn't even sound cool in the 1940's.  (Oh and before anybody get sand in their crevasse my comments have nothing to do with anybody using a rainbow as a logo my opinion on this character is simple based on the rainbow and a force of nature not anything else)  I men how does a rainbow strike fear into the hearts and minds of the criminal underworld?  Why not call his Supercute cuddle bear and get it over with.  Now that I think about it he looks like Rainbow Bear
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @Liberty: 
    Whoa! I love all your choices!
    Rainbow Boy is a tough sell, but marketed to the right audience.....
    Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Liberty

I'm not so sure you could.  You could resurrect the greatest minds in comics and I think he would still flop.  His only chance is as a spoof comic. Campy in a way worse than the Brady Bunch.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @Liberty said:
    " @TheCrowbar said:
    " None of them? Let the dead stay dead. "
    Lame.  Real lame.  Sad as well.  I read all the posts here.  Some people just like sticking their finger in the eye of others.  Unless you have another account... You have been on the vine for less than a  month.  You have done nothing but a few posts.  No lists, no blogs, no forums, no reviews, no wiki edits, just comments like the above.  Good job.  Why not post how these characters are like others if that is your opinion.  Give examples.  Show your thought process.  The blogs and forums are for opinions, but that doesn't mean shoot a quick quip and moving on.  Have a discussion.  The writer of this blog took a lot of time on it and you just piss on it and move on.  It is about having some sort of courtesy, class and decorum.  Please, voice you opinion but be thoughtful about it.  It is like writing a review.  If all you write is "It sucked"  you offered nothing and only showed your ignorance.    "

Beautifully written ad hominem well done.
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @TheCrowbar: 
    Regardless of whether it is intelligently phrased or not blather is still blather, come back on your main account and fight like a man.
    @Liberty:
    I actually have an angle for him, not as a lead feature though. Have you read much of him?

The Rampaging Rainbow Boy
     The Rampaging Rainbow Boy
    Look how he is propelled by the rainbows mighty power!
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheCrowbar

This is my main account, a mod can confirm it as well(IP check).

Now you're more than welcome to send your insults and idiotic comments to me as a PM. Not because I'll read it, but it'll save people the time of going through this thread and reading insulting posts when they expected a Project Superpowers thread.

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @TheCrowbar said:
    " This is my main account, a mod can confirm it as well(IP check).  Now you're more than welcome to send your insults and idiotic comments to me as a PM. Not because I'll read it, but it'll save people the time of going through this thread and reading insulting posts when they expected a Project Superpowers thread. "

No Caption Provided
    Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Liberty
    @turoksonofstone:   In all honesty I have not read anything at all besides a stray pannel or what was in Project Superpowers.  I was just making a joke more or less.  What is your angle because if you were serious I would love to hear it.  As for Crowbar just let him/her/it have the last word.  That is all that is wanted.  Don't waste any more of your time.... Hey maybe Rainbow Boy could sell Skittles.  =]
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @Liberty: Agreed about whatsisname, and I PM'ed general Idea.
    Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By Manchine

My top 5 that I think would be interesting

1) Captain Future

2) Black Terror

3) Samson

4) Grim Reaper

5) Jack

Avatar image for furyofobama2012
    FuryofObama2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By FuryofObama2012

A bunch of these are neat but I would read anything drawn by Alex Ross.

KidSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By KidSupreme

@turoksonofstone: Hey are you planing to do your own comic book using these Public Domain Characters? If so I think that is really cool and a great idea!

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Superguy0009e

i really like (Dare)Devil,I think it would be cool to see an updated version of him soon

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Rouflex

Out of the ones listed, i would say Captain Future (By Default). I don't know much about him but i've heard good of him and i'm slightly intrigued by him... So i'll go with him.

29 600th Post

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.