Follow

Public Domain Characters

Concept » Public Domain Characters appears in 4217 issues.

Today there are a wealth of Golden and Silver Age comic book characters who have fallen into Public Domain. This is a list of such characters.

My Public Domain Team

PrinceMarvel_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PrinceMarvel_

After watching The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen when it first came out, I was inspired to create my own team of public domain heroes. This is my team:

PULP (The People's United League of Protectors)

Denis Nayland Smith, a detective that first appeared in "The Insidious Dr. Fu Manchu" by Rax Rohmer in 1913.

Richard Hannay, a spy that first appeared in "The Thirty-Nine Steps" by John Buchan in 1915.

John Clayton, aka Tarzan, a wild man that first appeared in "Tarzan of the Apes" by Edgar Rice Burroughs in 1912.

Rob Joslyn, an adventurous inventor that first appeared in "The Master Key" by L. Frank Baum in 1901.

Wiggins, a street urchin that first appeared in "A Study in Scarlet" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in 1886.

Tootles, a lost boy that first appeared in "Peter Pan, or The Boy Who Wouldn't Grow Up" by J. M. Barrie in 1904.

Popeye, a sailor that first appeared in "Thimble Theatre" by Elzie Crisler Segar in 1929.

---

With the exception of Rob Joslyn, Wiggins, Tootles and Popeye, you will notice that most of these stories were written in the first half of the 1910's; I did this on purpose as I wanted my choosen characters to be around the same age without having to change anything. Rob Joslyn, Wiggins and Tootles' first appearances all take place before the 1910's and will be age appropriate by the 1910's with Wiggins being the old guy of the team and Tootles being the young guy. Although Popeye didn't first appear until 1929, Olive Oyl has been around since 1919, and so I decided to go ahead an use him.

I had originally wanted to use Peter Pan instad of Tootles, but with Peter Pan constantly going to and coming from Never Land, I didn't see him as a reliable member of the team.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By turoksonofstone

nice team

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Rouflex
    @princemarvel said:

After watching The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen when it first came out, I was inspired to create my own team of public domain heroes. This is my team:

PULP (The People's United League of Protectors)

The Name is a sign of originality, i like it. As for the film, I know what you mean, the film is so great! I've once brainstormed about making a superhero team with Billy Batson but that would be too much trouble for me and honestly i don't even know if i could make it. Now i don't know if you will see my comment (Because we are 2 years and 9 months later)... But i think your team is great.

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme

aphillips17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.