Follow

Betsy Braddock

Character » Betsy Braddock appears in 4601 issues.

British beauty Elizabeth Braddock is older twin sister of Captain Britain a mutant, former fashion model, and Charter Pilot. She is a long-standing member of the X-Men, Leader of Excalibur, and Founder of the reformed Captain Britain Corps, multi-versal alternate versions of herself.

Why do they make her brown eyes blue?

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Thunderscream

She's in a Japanese body, her eyes would most likely be brown....or do artists just make all characters have blue eyes? 

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

My first reaction is that it's purely a colouring/aesthetic thing.  Since her clothes & hair are always purple, the colourist probably gets carried away... 

However, on second thought... why do they keep making Monet look more & more white?   

I prefer to think it's the first reason & that it's nothing to do with bleaching characters ethnicity.

gatg352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By gatg352

I'm assuming it has to do with the manner in which Spiral fused the genetic structures of both Betsy and Kwannon in the Body Shoppe.  They gained some traits from each other.
    Kuramasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kuramasu

I always just assumed her eyes were still purple.
    Shipwreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Shipwreck

It might be cost effect reasons as well. Jubilee's and Logan's eyes appear blue at times. Mostly when you notice trouble in the market. Blue is primary and easier to make than brown.

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Thunderscream
    @Shipwreck: .........i doubt there's much difference in cost when it comes to eyes....they only take up, what? 1/5000 of a page most of the time.  I think colorists just find blue eyes more dynamic, it's just something that bothers me. I get that Storm's blue eyes are part of her heritage, but just for the hell of it, flip through all your X-titles. Blue, blue, blue, blue :(
    VZA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By VZA

Wait her eyes aren't blue?  I thought they were.  Just because she's Asian she can't have blue eyes.  I guess her hair shouldn't be purple either.

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Thunderscream
    @VZA: I just think it wouldn't hurt show a little eye diversity. Storm has blue eyes, I know it's part of her heritage but it's been under alot of debate because of her ....I can't think of the term here....basically masking her racial identity to make her more caucasian. 
    If you flip through New Mutants, you'll notice Moonstar and Karma occasionally get blue eyed too. 
    I'm not saying it's not possible that Psylocke's Asian body may have blue eyes, it just reduces her already questionable identifiability as a Japanese woman since many artists don't even bother to give her Eastern features.
    VZA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By VZA

OK... I see where you're coming from.  I've always disliked the idea of casting Halle Berry to play Storm because Storm is supposed to be straight out of Africa (not sure of the exact courntry off the top of my head).  They should have picked somebody who looked less like a black American and somebody with more African features.

Ryonslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 305

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Ryonslaught
    @Thunderscream: After the body switch in the 90's and right up the crimson dawn era she had beautiful brown eyes sometime after colorist just stop giving a rats ass and made them blue, purpe, pink, yellow no one really cares much anymore. 

Its comforting knowing I'm not the only one who is always annoyed by her portrayal recently with all kinds of eyes!!!!

@VZA:
    storm is 1/2 African NOT pure/straight out of Africa ok? 
    mom is pure African dad is Afro American

@xerox-kitty:
    Caried away my dear Kitty is a HUGE understatement :P
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Caligula

contacts

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By Erik

I am more concerned with why they make M white.

No Caption Provided

Lady Tlieso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Lady Tlieso

Psylocke dyed her hair purple back when she was still in her original body. It's not natural by any means.

pixie_child

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By pixie_child
    @erik:
    My guess would be lazyness. It much effort to shade her in proper and still make her features distinct.
    Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Thunderscream
    @Lady Tlieso said:
    " Psylocke dyed her hair purple back when she was still in her original body. It's not natural by any means. "
    .....I'm not sure if you read any of the posts on this thread. we're talking about eye color and racial representation....not hair. we know she dies her hair. it looks fabulous.
    rogue_kiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By rogue_kiss

Shoot - they look PURPLE on the cover of the new X-Force... She hasn't had purple eyes since she was in her British body... Those purple eyes were of Mojo & Spiral's doing...

WTF, colorists?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.