British or Asian Psylocke - which do you prefer?

#1 Posted by John Valentine (16313 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by Dane (10605 posts) - - Show Bio

dude Asian Psylocke in a landslide victory if you know what I mean.

#3 Posted by Psychotime (623 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh? Did she trade bodies or something?

I only remember her as Asian.

#4 Posted by John Valentine (16313 posts) - - Show Bio
Psychotime said:
Eh? Did she trade bodies or something?I only remember her as Asian.

She was introduced in 1976 as Capt Britain's English sister, before being swapped with Kwannon towards the end of CC's run.
#5 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

Asian!

#6 Posted by The Devil Tiger (1263 posts) - - Show Bio

ASIAN !!!!!!!

#7 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

B. But only cause she became a badass after the transference.

#8 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

Can I got both?

#9 Posted by John Valentine (16313 posts) - - Show Bio

#10 Posted by inferiorego (26875 posts) - - Show Bio

How can it be a 50/50 split with 9 votes casted?

Staff
#11 Posted by The Devil Tiger (1263 posts) - - Show Bio
inferiorego said:
How can it be a 50/50 split with 9 votes casted?
D'oh !
Because I forget to vote !
#12 Posted by X-23/Elixir (33 posts) - - Show Bio

She always looked Asian to me...Ethnicity does not matter I guess.

#13 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved the one with the cloak and telepathy!

#14 Posted by Chimerawave (53 posts) - - Show Bio

British Betsy will always be the best. Asian had a few good moments, but was convuluted with body swap retcons, crimson dawn powersm,  licking Scott's face, and writers not knowing what to do with her leaving her as nothing more than sex kitten wallpaper and thong riding vag shots.

#15 Posted by Truex (460 posts) - - Show Bio

I grew up reading comics with her as asian and she kicked ass, but when I went back and read the older comics when she was english she was cool too

#16 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
Chimerawave said:
British Betsy will always be the best. Asian had a few good moments, but was convuluted with body swap retcons, ... [more]
I agree with that, she went from fully covered, to almost completely naked.
#17 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

Asian Psylocke, probably just because that's what she was like when I was introduced to the character.

#18 Posted by IcePrince_X (4865 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted for the Asian Psylocke

But having her back as a British woman is not at all bad... not even if she decided to go with her natural color hair which is blonde! Watch out Emma a real blonde is on the way. But the Asian Psylocke will be such a waste if she won't be used... she has a stronger fan base and much recognized, I do not see why they can't have two Psylocke... one as Kwannon now on her own body with TK and Betsy having her telepathy and some acquired skills from Kwannon.

#19 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

The one purple haired british person switches bodies with the one purple haired asian person.

What are the odds?

#20 Edited by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio

Asian!

-C'mon, when you think of Psylocke .... you think: "Cool Asian Ninja Psychic"

and she was soo more badass and looked incredible as Asian,
she was my favourite asian character, and now she's not asian anymore, she's just lost her edge.

#21 Posted by WonderBoy1132 (276 posts) - - Show Bio

I like british psylocke.....
But i have to say Asian psylocke is pretty awesome

Psylocke is awesome in general... so yeahhh

#22 Posted by Chameleone (8710 posts) - - Show Bio

Original British is wayyyy better :)

#23 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

The Blonde?

#24 Edited by Chimerawave (53 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats one of the reasons I loathe Asian Betsy. People think "Cool Asian ninja psychic" There is no characterization. No depth. They just see thongkini and psychic knife. I agree that most people recognize Asian Psylocke because that was a time when comics were at its high and plenty of people came on board. I feel many who say "thats when i got introduced to the character when she was asian" are missing out on so much. I feel they should try and hunt down as many issues of Psylocke from the old days to see just how mch better than the asian incarnation she really is. Especially during the outback period. The people that say British Betsy was too "girly" must not have been reading the same woman. Yeah she was feminie but it was such a great contrast with the warrior she really was. She was deadly in her own way. She used her tp much more effectively instead of "PSYCHIC KNIFE" everytime. She was dangerous and to tell the truth softened in her ninja days. British Betsy was brutal, ready to kill, sneaky, psycho blasting, and badassI also dont like how she has been typecast into the token asian character when in relaity SHE IS NOT ASIAN!

#25 Posted by Chimerawave (53 posts) - - Show Bio

#26 Posted by Aheld92 (100 posts) - - Show Bio
Chimerawave said:
Thats one of the reasons I loathe Asian Betsy. People think "Cool Asian ninja psychic" There is no characterization. No ... [more]

Well said, Exactly Why I  voted british, I honestly think she was much more badass and a stronger more interesting character, Asian Psylocke is only popular cause she's half-Dressed
#27 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio
The Devil Tiger said:
ASIAN !!!!!!!
That's a white woman...........

I choose British.  There was a serious character flaw that involved her ridiculous "Asian" costume that made me mad.  Her british outfit was much cuter.
#28 Posted by richardBriddick (31 posts) - - Show Bio

asain by far...you guys need to vote by the way. 48-52% not good

#29 Posted by John_Feaster (341 posts) - - Show Bio
White Mage said:
The Devil Tiger said: ASIAN !!!!!!! That's a white woman...........I choose British.  There was a serious character flaw that involved ... [more]

Well, she's still British even if she's also now Asian. Me, I don't care much about her ethnicity...but she was better written before they narrowed her focus down to "Psychic Ninja Babe" and just stopped evolving. I prefer her stories before the change.
#30 Edited by Serpent (209 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, British all the way.

They just changed her into a barbie doll for the hormonal teen's imo.

Now she just seems to lack depth.

#31 Posted by SonofaGoddess (37 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted asian but after seeing blonde betsy i want to change my  vote bring her back blonde and hot lol

#32 Posted by Jetshade (421 posts) - - Show Bio

British Psylocke, and she's the only Psylocke as far as I'm concerned. Asian Psylocke never should have happened.

She's Captain Britain's sister, for crying out loud. Changing an established character's race because the current writer thought she'd be "hotter" that way is one of the biggest loads of BS I've ever encountered in comics.

#33 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I read Matt Fraction's X-Position last week.  He explained that the whole rigmarole with the Sisterhood was just to bring Betsy back... because he wanted a different ethnic character on the team.  He said that it was looking too white so she stayed Asian.

Nobody has ever drawn her looking Asian!  EVER!  Kubert made her eyes pointy at the ends and that's about it.  The best they do is make her look tanned...  That's hardly going to stand out among a team that's just spent the last year in San Francisco :p

#34 Posted by IcePrince_X (4865 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" I read Matt Fraction's X-Position last week.  He explained that the whole rigmarole with the Sisterhood was just to bring Betsy back... because he wanted a different ethnic character on the team.  He said that it was looking too white so she stayed Asian.Nobody has ever drawn her looking Asian!  EVER!  Kubert made her eyes pointy at the ends and that's about it.  The best they do is make her look tanned...  That's hardly going to stand out among a team that's just spent the last year in San Francisco :p "
Yes, I noted it too even Jim Lee's version doesn't really come as some body who is of Japanese descent but then again so is Storm who is supposed to be African.

I do not like the reason why she was brought back to the team, in fact, I hope they come up with a good explanation how Psylocke was extracted from the Exiles so easily.
#35 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@IcePrince_X said:
"Yes, I noted it too even Jim Lee's version doesn't really come as some body who is of Japanese descent but then again so is Storm who is supposed to be African.I do not like the reason why she was brought back to the team, in fact, I hope they come up with a good explanation how Psylocke was extracted from the Exiles so easily."
Because fans hated her in Exiles?? ;)

True.  ethnic characters are rarely portrayed with actual ethnic physiologies.  Especially women who are just a sequence of round shapes plus eyes.  I just think that it's a lame excuse to bring her into the team.  They should just admit that they wanted to draw her in her old kinky outfit.  If they genuinely wanted the team to look less white then they would stop using Domino and choose some of the more diverse chacacters from around the world.  The X-Men has boasted a cast of international characters; so why don't they use them?!
#36 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" I read Matt Fraction's X-Position last week.  He explained that the whole rigmarole with the Sisterhood was just to bring Betsy back... because he wanted a different ethnic character on the team.  He said that it was looking too white so she stayed Asian.Nobody has ever drawn her looking Asian!  EVER!  Kubert made her eyes pointy at the ends and that's about it.  The best they do is make her look tanned...  That's hardly going to stand out among a team that's just spent the last year in San Francisco :p "
He had to bring Elisabeth back for that? Thanks to him, there's a Warehouse full of mutants to chose from, surely he could have chosen some of them. 
#37 Edited by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized: This is the Q&A about Betsy:

Also what was your thinking behind bringing back Psylocke's original body, only to fry it and put her back in her second one? Nothing against “Asian Psylocke,” I'm just curious…

To be brutally honest? I saw more value in bringing a character of color into the book than yet another white face. When I came in there were a whole lot of dudes and a whole lot of white folk around; I wanted very much to diversify the genders and the colors of the team somewhat without turning the thing into a Benetton ad or the cast of “Voyager” or whatever. I figured, since we were already asking people to buy a story in which a magic, bodiless psychic spirit performed a grand act of transdimensional psychic necromancy, that your suspension of disbelief had either long ago shattered or was impervious to anything I could throw at it...so why not?

Besides, going forward with Psylocke, we'll see that while she might look the same on the outside, inside is a different matter...

#38 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: how gross. So is that why the entire sisterhood, minus lady deathstrike were all, "white folk"?
#39 Posted by Lifeguard85 (392 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
Agreed, not too mention the fact that they finally got her out of a bathing suit and into a real costume, and then they put her right back into the bathing suit again! Its like, if you nabbed her from Exiles...shouldn't she have at least been wearing her Exiles uniform?

And I also dont like Fractions excuse for putting her on the team and keeping her "Asian". Culturally, Betsy is still British no matter how you look at it. She may look Asian, and be a fabulous ninja, but she is still British. Being "Asian" isnt just about the way you look, and Psylocke is one rare Asian that has a british accent and is 5'11" tall. There is no reason she didnt stay in her British body, especially since this last story is just another body swap retcon, and now her mini series is going to be ANOTHER self discovery.....

I think fans get it. She is in an Asian body and likes to die, switch bodies, and re-discover herself!
#40 Posted by IcePrince_X (4865 posts) - - Show Bio

This is what I raised in a thread I made months ago.
When Jamie Braddock brought her back, why in an Asian body and not with the British body?

was it a bad writing? because that was a good point to really return her to her original body and even be blonde again, as compared to this weird revival of her body. As far as I remember she is supposed to be immune from magic and psychic attacks... oh well.

Mr. Falcon, shouldn't have made that excuse of white Folks as if there is something wrong with the picture. There is no race issue with the team so why make one? Besides I agree with you guys that Psylocke even in an Asian body is still British. Karma and Jubilee (if they return her powers) could have been a good choice.

#41 Posted by Carbine23 (71 posts) - - Show Bio

Asian po

#42 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized said:
"how gross. So is that why the entire sisterhood, minus lady deathstrike were all, "white folk"?"
Beats me.  The whole ridiculous storyline was just to bring an Asian character to the X-Men... So they could have just walked her in through the door and I've have been happier with it instead of the mess with the "Sisterhood".

@Lifeguard85 said:
"Agreed, not too mention the fact that they finally got her out of a bathing suit and into a real costume, and then they put her right back into the bathing suit again!"
Indeed.  Yet another example of Mr Fractions complete disregard for this little thing called 'continuity'... and more evidence that he & Greg Land are just pervs who want to use female characters in very little clothing. 

Personally, I'd think that Betsy wouldn't want to wear the swimming costume again after so long.  Not to mention, it's soooo damned old!  Even Emma Frost wears more than that now.

@IcePrince_X: I agree that she should have been brought back in her original body, since that's how her brother would have known her.

To be fair, Fraction's had Karma dancing around in the background of his Uncanny stories, but I'm glad he's not using her more.  Especially after the lesbian harem which was so out of character and inappropriate to her life style. 

But in all honesty, if he wanted characters with a greater ethnic diversity and felt stuck for choice (as if!!) then why didn't he just CREATE SOME?!

#43 Posted by Omg chris (1607 posts) - - Show Bio

asian for me the katana has grown on me

#44 Posted by Inthedark (81 posts) - - Show Bio

Reading those snippets seems she was written a lot like Emma Frost is now. Kind of sad she changed having those two on the same team would be fun.

#45 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

She's still the same

#46 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18857 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss her puffy sleeves...

#47 Posted by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio

either, asian or british she MUST keep her purple hair, i feel that it's her trademark.
however, i do prefer her being asian, as i am a purple-haired asian myself. ;]

as for powers, all her original ones.... but the whole butterfly thing... i never liked
and i wish she could keep her shadow powers but they wouldnt work outside the context of the story

#48 Posted by sifsclub (474 posts) - - Show Bio

asian

#49 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2615 posts) - - Show Bio

These two. They were drawn well.

#50 Posted by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cezar_TheScribe:
lol but the first one is asian and the second british.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.