Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    The Scrooge-like Clown gets visited by three phantoms of his own on Christmas Eve - - the Yank, the Ghost and the American Spirit - - and the results of their showing him his life's errors of don’t play out like anything Dickens could’ve imagined.  

The Good 

Berkenkotter's art is just fantastic. I’ll gripe often about ink-less pages, but his lines are tight enough to pull it off. He’s actually able to pull off a lot - - from bizarre superhero business to mundane sidewalk conversations - - and give it all the requisite style. Actually, style's the key word, here, as Jerwa  uses a mildly-nightmarish tone to tell a story that’s got a real message and dramatic tension while still wholeheartedly embracing all the hokier tropes of the golden age. 

The Bad 

Even for superheroes, it seems like a hard-to-swallow for the Clown to turn evil simply because his girl stepped away for him for a moment to see a street performer.  It felt like some crucially-important line of dialog was missing somewhere there.    

The Verdict – 4/5 

A Christmas Carol has been remade, parodied and paid tribute to thousands upon thousands of times. Thus, it’s an accomplishment that Gerwa found a way to take some digs at the story while still following its beats rather sincerely. This reminded me of some of the better Astro City stories where a self-contained character portrait is told against the surreal backdrop of a superhero world. 
    Alicabob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Alicabob

I love me some Christmas themed comics :)

Avatar image for comicbikerscott
    comicbikerscott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By comicbikerscott

i love christmas themed comics
    Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By turoksonofstone

I can't for the life of me figure out where or what Alex Ross is doing with these characters, the Project Superpowers storyline is pretty weak.

The_Elemetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_Elemetal

Im goin to read this soon hopefully it sounds good

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Theodore

I'm interested in Project Superpowers, I might have to look for issue 1

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

ignore post... fixing floating problem

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.