By xerox_kitty 29 Comments
Lets play a game of...
The comic on the left is American, while the comic on the right is British. It's not a Marvel UK title, though!
These days, all the comics that Marvel produce have the cover price in US dollars. But many years ago it was a different story. What they used to do was print all the issues for the American market... and then print a small amount with a British price conversion. So if they printed 95% of their comics in ¢ (Cents) then the remaining 5% would be printed in p (Pence). I'm only using the percentages as an example.
In the past, no-one really knew any difference. But with growing dependence on the internet traders began to struggle to sell these British back issues since some purist collectors thought they weren't real American comics. The truth is, they are. They were printed in the US and shipped overseas for a British market. They even feature the same American adverts for X-Ray Specs, puzzles, tricks & other gimmicks from the 70's. The only difference is the cover. The banner across the top (boasting to the British that Marvel comics were available in colour) and the price conversion are literally the only difference.
They're considered as the same cover so it doesn't even count as a variant cover ;)
Personally, I'm not bothered about whether my comics say pence or cents. As I sorted through some of my back issues earlier today, I discovered that I had quite a few of these British converted issues. I still have a lot of gaps in my collection from around that era, so I wonder how many more I'll end up with...