Possible Ninth Planet Rocks the Web

 

 
Forget the "Sputnik moment." If two astrophysicists are correct, we may be having a "Tyche moment" -- a ninth planet to add to our solar system. But that's a big "if."  

The two scientists who make the claim, Daniel Whitmire and John Matese from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, say a planet they named Tyche -- that is four times the size of Jupiter -- may be lurking in the outer solar system.

 
The pair says that the NASA Wise telescope may already have data to prove its existence, but that the planet, if it exists, won't reveal itself for another two years.

 
That hasn't stopped astronomically high searches on Yahoo! for "tyche planet," which have soared 3,000% in the last day alone.

 
The researchers have been collecting data for the last 10 years, and though they admit the unusual orbital patterns in a far-out region of the solar system called the Oort  
 
Cloud could be explained by a ginormous planet, it also could be a statistical fluke.

 
Many scientists have their doubts about a possible planet: After all, seeing is believing when it comes to astronomy.

 
"There could very well be something causing the orbital anomalies in the Oort Cloud that are claimed, " says Bing Quock, the Assistant Director of the Morrison Planetarium at the California Academy of Sciences. He added, "But astronomers won't actually believe it until they see it, and that's going to take repeated observations."

 
Sources:
Space.com
Time Magazine
California Academy of Sciences    

41 Comments
41 Comments
Posted by velle37

Interesting.......
Posted by NexusOfLight

Yay, I miss having 9 planets in our solar system. Hope this is true.

Edited by Shadowdoggy

the scary thing is how closely this discovery ties in with the whole theory of "planet X"  
which is supposed to reappear in or around 2012 
*this isnt' a doomsday theory, mind you, it just happens to link up with other 2012 propoganda *
any who if you didn't know, theres' supposed to be a huge planet on an equally as huge orbit that only comes into contact with our solar system every few dozens of thousand years 
the scary part? 
it's so big and the effect it would have on the gravitational forces that govern our planets would be so big that they think it (or other planets like it) may be responisble for several of history's great cataclysms 
even if it never got close enough to effect our gravity, it could still affect the matter in the ring of ice and hydrogen particles that surrounds our solar system, causing countelss meteros to fall from the sky and bombard everything in our solar system 
Posted by Hellos
@Shadowdoggy said:
"the scary thing is how closely this discovery ties in with the whole theory of "planet X"  which is supposed to reappear in or around 2012 *this isnt' a doomsday theory, mind you, it just happens to link up with other 2012 propoganda *any who if you didn't know, theres' supposed to be a huge planet on an equally as huge orbit that only comes into contact with our solar system every few dozens of thousand years the scary part? it's so big and the effect it would have on the gravitational forces that govern our planets would be so big that they think it (or other planets like it) may be responisble for several of history's great cataclysms even if it never got close enough to effect our gravity, it could still affect the matter in the ring of ice and hydrogen particles that surrounds our solar system, causing countelss meteros to fall from the sky and bombard everything in our solar system  "
 
Sounds like fun =)
Posted by Shadowdoggy
@Hellos:
eh, everybody's gotta go some time 
;)
Posted by InnerVenom123
@Shadowdoggy:  Blah blah. :P I knew someone was gonna post about that the second it remarked how big it was. Honestly I'm more afraid of Jupiter going apes--t and stabbing Uranus in the face. 
 
Those planets are sneaky bas--rds. Gotta watch em. ^.^
Edited by Shadowdoggy
@InnerVenom123:
well, I'm not a conspiracy theory guy by anty stretch of the imagination 
and I don't think the world is going to end necessarily 
but the possibility of another planet that affects our solar system only once every few thousand years does seem to match up with our planet's history of periodic mass extinction events 
Edited by ComicMan24

Tyche which means luck. Let's see if it is lucky.

Posted by InnerVenom123
@Shadowdoggy: We could die right now. Gamma ray burst close enough. I'd rather worry about the constant destructive forces in the universe that aren't restricted to one superstitious date. That is, if I bothered worrying at all. I don't worry. No point in it if you can't control it, ya know? :P
Edited by Shadowdoggy
@InnerVenom123:
oh I'm not worried about it 
I just find it incredibly fascinating 
we're about due for another huge event like that as it is 
we've reached another "pinacle" of society and will soon start to see the effects of bleeding our planet dry of its resources and over populating ourselves into a state of stupidity and ubridaled slothiness 
just like everything that came before us 
in a few million years we'll all be the oil and some other intelligent species will be fighting over us and trying to convince others that we never exited because their God created them fully formed in his own image ;)
Posted by idukid

OMG between this and Culture Club reuniting in 2012... the world is doomed

Posted by InnerVenom123
@Shadowdoggy: What's your favorite end scenario? Mine is Cthulhu. :3
Edited by Hellos
@InnerVenom123 said:

" @Shadowdoggy: We could die right now. Gamma ray burst close enough. I'd rather worry about the constant destructive forces in the universe that aren't restricted to one superstitious date. That is, if I bothered worrying at all. I don't worry. No point in it if you can't control it, ya know? :P "


Theres only one star I believe that's large enough and close enough to annihilate us with a gamma ray burst.   
The chances are absurdly unlikely it's going to hit us, I'd be more worried about asteroids that we can't see slamming into the planet randomly, Earth's had a lot of close calls with that.
Although it's believed that a gamma ray burst might have caused one of the first Earth's mass extinctions(We've had a few).
 
I think we'd know when said star goes boom, since it will be one of the brighest things in the sky. 
What's funny is how Earth has already gotten hit by another planet and is still standing,this thing is a durable rock, regardless if we all die life will still go on.
Edited by Shadowdoggy
@InnerVenom123:
I like the "Gray Goo" scenario myself :
that because of some environmental disaster we will create and utilizt molecular nanotechnology that will slowly consume all living matter on our planet and destroy everything, leavign nothing but a singular gray blob in our place
Posted by buttersdaman000

aliens......

Posted by Hellos
@Shadowdoggy said:
"@InnerVenom123: I like the "Gray Goo" scenario myself :that because of some environmental disaster we will create and utilizt molecular nanotechnology that will slowly consume all living matter on our planet and destroy everything, leavign nothing but a singular gray blob in our place "

That's not happening lol. But hilarity would ensure if it did. 
Soon gray goo robos evolve into the next life forms of the future!
Posted by Shadowdoggy
@Hellos:
true, but the real danger wouldn't be from meteors but the effect the planet would have on our gravitational fields 
people use the concept of the magnetic poles "shifting" a lot, thinking it means that north wold become south and day would turn into night, or whatever 
but it would actually be a physical shift, and all the matter that exists on the earth would be forcibly dragged across the entire planet until everything was torn asunder at the fault lines and all the continents smashed into each other, changing the landscape of the planet and shifting all of our weather patterns 
the north really WOULD be south and day would be night 
but we'd all be dead, so who cares?
Posted by Hellos
@buttersdaman000 said:
"aliens...... "

Considering how many potential Earth like worlds we are finding, theres probably a ton. :P 
Posted by Shadowdoggy
@Hellos:
well, it's not so far fetched 
they contemplated using recently patented organic matter eating nano technology for the last oil spill
Posted by ComicMan24

The end is near!!!! :P

Posted by Hellos
@Shadowdoggy said:
"@Hellos: true, but the real danger wouldn't be from meteors but the effect the planet would have on our gravitational fields people use the concept of the magnetic poles "shifting" a lot, thinking it means that north wold become south and day would turn into night, or whatever but it would actually be a physical shift, and all the matter that exists on the earth would be forcibly dragged across the entire planet until everything was torn asunder at the fault lines and all the continents smashed into each other, changing the landscape of the planet and shifting all of our weather patterns the north really WOULD be south and day would be night but we'd all be dead, so who cares? "

I don't know, maybe some good old astronauts would be able to watch that kind of crazy from orbit and have a good laugh as they slowly died. 
I'm atleast hoping if we do get wiped out we leave something of ourselves, despite how astronomically unlikely that is, for other entities to find, maybe on the moon or in orbit around the Earth.
Posted by Hellos
@Shadowdoggy said:
"@Hellos: well, it's not so far fetched they contemplated using recently patented organic matter eating nano technology for the last oil spill "

I don't know, I honestly just don't see us going down that way. I'm sure if we ever wipe ourselves out, it will be totally due to stupidity, just not nanites.
Edited by Shadowdoggy
@Hellos:
well, the planet has been around for abotu 5 billion years, right? 
and we have only been around for about 150,000 years 
so it would stand to reason that other civilizations may have already existed here or will one day exist here after we have gone 
it's hard to imagine us being extinct, because 160,000 years is a REALLY long time 
but when thinking about life in the entire universe, you have to consider the scope 
in an infinite (and ever growing) amount of space, with an infinite amount of progressive linear time, our 160,000 years is the same thing as 1 year, or a billion years! 
on a plane that never ends, a line segment is the same as a point 
or conversely, when moving forward on a time line into infinity, the measure of time within that inifnite space loses all validity 
we feel like we can see far far into the heavens 
and we know we have been here for a really long time 
but in contrast to the size and scope of both the universe and of time, we are basically just a grain of sand on an enormous beach 
@Hellos:
agreed 
it'll probably just be nuclear war in the end any way
   
Posted by danhimself

Pluto is the only ninth planet for me....I don't care what anyone says...he'll always be a planet to me

Posted by turoksonofstone

Ugh.

Posted by King Saturn
very interesting find here
Posted by Mercy_

There already is a ninth planet. It's name is Pluto. >_<

Moderator
Posted by Donnieman v5.1
@The Dark Huntress said:
" There already is a ninth planet. It's name is Pluto. >_< "
Not anymore, toots :P 
It's a dwarf planet now >:D
Posted by Mercy_
Moderator
Posted by Donnieman v5.1
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @Donnieman v5.1 said:

" @The Dark Huntress said:

" There already is a ninth planet. It's name is Pluto. >_< "
Not anymore, toots :P It's a dwarf planet now >:D "
SHUTUP.  
 
http://www.wastedatwork.com/search.php?search=forever%20alone "
Just stating a fact. Your denial simply makes you look retarded xP
Posted by Mercy_
@Donnieman v5.1: Go f*ck yourself. And not in the fun way. 
Moderator
Posted by Donnieman v5.1
@The Dark Huntress: Sheesh, someone is moody today :P
Posted by Mercy_
@Donnieman v5.1: Yep
Moderator
Posted by Donnieman v5.1
@The Dark Huntress: Well, get over it already. Life goes on xD
Posted by TheCerealKillz

Imma get sooooooooo high...............>_< 
 
 
But in all seriousness, Hope for some water on Pandora- I mean this new planet. if sh-t goes crazy here, Imma be traveling. 
 
Oh Fu-k it. They should name it Pandora just for Avatar :D

Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy

i dont care what anyone says. Pluto is our ninth planet.
Thats what i was taught in school, and i'm sticking to that =P.

Posted by InnerVenom123
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @Donnieman v5.1: Go f*ck yourself. And not in the fun way.  "
LMFAO
Posted by umbrafeline

no fighting unless you are females and are willing to tear off your opponents clothing and pull their hair adn other fun things to get us guys and some cases gals 'excited' ;-)
Edited by Erik

I wonder if this '4 times the size of Jupiter' is going by mass or volume.  
 
IF by volume, that is pretty damn big. Jupiter is 1,321 times the volume of Earth. If it is mass Jupiter is still 318 times as massive as Earth.  
 
Given the distance from the sun it would likely have to be a solid planet since it is well beyond the frost line of our star. So either way, that is massive compared to Earth.  
 
I suspect it will collide with us like a semi truck collides with a ball of gauze.  
 
Let the hysteria begin. 

Posted by Mercy_
@umbrafeline said:
" no fighting unless you are females and are willing to tear off your opponents clothing and pull their hair adn other fun things to get us guys and some cases gals 'excited' ;-) "
LMFAO.  
 
@erik said:
" I wonder if this '4 times the size of Jupiter' is going by mass or volume.   IF by volume, that is pretty damn big. Jupiter is 1,321 times the volume of Earth. If it is mass it is still 318 times as massive.   Given the distance from the sun it would likely have to be a solid planet since it is well beyond the frost line of our star. So either way, that is massive compared to Earth.   I suspect it will collide with us like a semi truck collides with a ball of gauze.   Let the hysteria begin.  "
Starts a riot in the streets and begins screaming hysterically. The end is near! The end is near!
Moderator
Posted by Miss Menace

i've been there. No big :P (Lame joke...okay to facepalm)