Quick Topic: Fan Fiction, Why read?

So This is something I wanted to get on cause much like anything else on this site it needs a little light shed on it every so often. Fan Fiction is a major one. normally we get the same writers who are trying to showcase their ideas for a familiar character we know. Major point being that may off put alot of people from actually reading fan fictions. But here are some reason why you should give a fan fiction a try at reading.

REASON FOR READING FAN FICTION:

  1. Its free.
  2. if you are already reading comics or novels, its about the length of the writing of a comic if not shorter and put more in a novel format....for some.
  3. its free.
  4. It takes little time to actually get through most of them. (depending on your reading speed)
  5. And lastly, ITS FREE!

I work in a comic store to which whose name i will not mention (comics america) and one thing that always gets me is when customers want to try something new they always bypass the independent comics and just stick with either Marvel or DC or Image. Yeah I understand they don't want to spend the 3.99 on a comic they are not sure on. but then again when it comes to fan fiction YOU ARE NOT LOSING MONEY. There are alot of great writers too on this site ill provide a list at the bottom of the blog.

just something to remember that you can do with fan fictions, the people who write these and post them are doing it for you to read and enjoy. so let them know what you liked or disliked about what you read. if you disliked something try to be constructive and just saying it was a piece of crap. cause 1. its rude, and 2. it does not earn you any friend or respect points with your fellow peers on this site. We are all comic fans here. so lets show our support not just for the industry itself but the fans who take the time to write, or on another subject role play.

And another thing. im not asking people to praise the writers all the time. even if its a simple comment like good job. they all love hearing it. I would just like to see support of each other and our work.

, , , , , , , , , ,

, , , , , , , , , / The Dark Huntress, ,

, , , , , , , , , , , , (edited in)

15 Comments
15 Comments
Posted by Renchamp

I can appreciate someone wanting to write and expand on their favorite characters. What gets me is some people simply don't know how to write. An idea and a computer does not mean that it will be read-worthy. Many fanfics I see are dialogue heavy. That is boring. Many of the fanfics are an attempt to be sensational and sensational only. Some plots are very stupid and trite. Some characters are out of character. I can't say this about every writer listed, but I certainly have some writers in mind as type this. Sadly, the fanfic field is littered with hacks who don't know how to drive a story, as well as serious critics like myself. But I know good writing when I see it. I haven't seen it yet. (Though I'd love to be proven wrong!)

Moderator
Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER

@Renchamp said:

I can appreciate someone wanting to write and expand on their favorite characters. What gets me is some people simply don't know how to write. An idea and a computer does not mean that it will be read-worthy. Many fanfics I see are dialogue heavy. That is boring. Many of the fanfics are an attempt to be sensational and sensational only. Some plots are very stupid and trite. Some characters are out of character. I can't say this about every writer listed, but I certainly have some writers in mind as type this. Sadly, the fanfic field is littered with hacks who don't know how to drive a story, as well as serious critics like myself. But I know good writing when I see it. I haven't seen it yet. (Though I'd love to be proven wrong!)

I would love to see some of your writing Mr. Ebert.

Posted by Renchamp

@NlGHTCRAWLER: Ebert never had to make a movie to be able to critique them. Art is art. You should know it when you see it. I'm just expressing why the fanfic medium isn't taken quite so seriously yet.

Moderator
Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER

@Renchamp: Ebert is also a snob. This is Comicvine Fan-Fiction which as the OP mentioned is FREE, not film or literal art. Those dudes work their asses off to supply this site with some great stories. Are all of them winners? No, of course not, but their hard work and dedication is at least worthy of being read. No one asked for your overview of these writers or their stories. If you want to do that go comment on their stories individually and suggest some things that they can work on. I'm sure they would love that.

Posted by rogue_mar1e

Because my favourite characters don't have sex with each other in canon.

Posted by Irishlad

On behalf of the fan fic community I salute you this was very well put Good Job!

That's a fair enough statement at the end of the day we're all more than likely aspiring writers so it will sometimes more than likely not be a work of art. DaVinci didn't paint Mona Lisa on his first day either though. One thing I will say though is if you do happen to pop on to a fan fic story and even if you don't like it, it would seriously help people like me improve on our skills if you commented on what you liked and what you didn't.

Posted by Renchamp

@NlGHTCRAWLER: And this is a discussion. The OP presented why we should be reading the fanfics and I have merely said why I'm not keen on this form of writing, free or not. I haven't mentioned anyone in particular so no one has their feelings hurt. There may be some excellent writers that I haven't read. The ones I have (again, no names to protect any fragile egos) I have not been impressed with. I do, however, look forward to seeing a fanfic that I can like (as previously stated). I'm not trying to be a jerk. This is just an honest response to the OP.

Moderator
Posted by Renchamp

@Irishlad: This is more than fair. I have had some problems with people who didn't like the feedback and so I just stopped giving it. It's nice to see a response in which someone is advocating a willingness to grow in their craft. Kudos, Irishlad.

@rogue_mar1e said:

Because my favourite characters don't have sex with each other in canon.

And this is a funny statement.

Moderator
Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER

@Renchamp said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER: And this is a discussion. The OP presented why we should be reading the fanfics and I have merely said why I'm not keen on this form of writing, free or not. I haven't mentioned anyone in particular so no one has their feelings hurt. There may be some excellent writers that I haven't read. The ones I have (again, no names to protect any fragile egos) I have not been impressed with. I do, however, look forward to seeing a fanfic that I can like (as previously stated). I'm not trying to be a jerk. This is just an honest response to the OP.

You're entitled to your own opinion dude, just try not to be such a dick about it. I'm not the most civil dude on the internet, but some of these guys are really passionate about what they do and it sucks to see people just tread all over that, especially when it's unnecessary and uncalled for.

Posted by Renchamp

@NlGHTCRAWLER: And the name calling begins. I'm done.

Moderator
Edited by Irishlad

If people slam you for giving constructive feedback and not as Trodorne said just simply saying "it's crap" then they're just ignorant people with too high of an ego.

As I've said though there are a lot of people like me just clicking the refresh button every 5 minutes to see if anyone new has something creative to say so we can grow.

I've started a new fan fic recently of the Secret Six if you happen to read it I would definitely love to here any feedback you have. :)

Posted by YoungJustice

I se I'm not on that list....no no its okay............(starts crying) you just broke my heart though............

Posted by TheBigRedCheese

@rogue_mar1e said:

Because my favorite characters don't have sex with each other in canon.

Posted by Trodorne

@Irishlad said:

That's a fair enough statement at the end of the day we're all more than likely aspiring writers so it will sometimes more than likely not be a work of art. DaVinci didn't paint Mona Lisa on his first day either though. One thing I will say though is if you do happen to pop on to a fan fic story and even if you don't like it, it would seriously help people like me improve on our skills if you commented on what you liked and what you didn't.

True words, And that is the main point i wanted to convey, even if you did not like it more often than not most writers would like to hear what was more than likely the problem and take that in account next time they write and try to make that story a better over all experience. But this is something not just for the critics but also for the general users who come on comic vine.

But also at the same time, people need to understand when people write these fan fics they are doing this of their own free time. If you come into a fan fiction looking for the meaning of life (which its 42) then you might end up being disappointed. Im sure you have the best of intentions. so yes some people are going to be sensative to certain uses of phrases. as long as you let others know that you only want to help them get better there are certain ways at going about it.

Like say if you read something with god awful dialogue. well how do you let that person know. just say "I like the story but the dialogue needs more work as to match the story, they seem to conflict with each other." and maybe send them a suggestion of what to practice to get better. And this goes the same for the mods and editors of this site as well. like , , and others, they would love to hear your feedback. I know it can not be expected for you guys to comment on every single one of the fan fictions, especially when its a series but if you ever have the free time take it to read and appreciate the minds on this site and what they have to tell on their favourite heroes and villains.

So read, read, read , read and read. don't need to comment all the time but also the same goes for writers we can't always expect comments. but when we do, do not take them to heart. just keep writing because its what you love to do, nothing else should matter. I write when I can or when im not being lazy but when I write i put out the best amateur crap that i can put out and hope that people enjoy it and move on.

Posted by Joygirl

I have the most curious sensation that lurking somewhere in the primordial froth of my mind is a comment that would be constructive and relevant to this thread in some way. But it just isn't coming to me. So, for lack of something more intellectually stimulating or at least contrary in some way: please everyone, if, zt the very least, you commented on what you read (which I know most people do not), the Vine will be a happier place. Also, read everything by me because I'm awesome.