Fox to Merge X-Men and Fantastic Four into one Universe

The current rumor floating around is that Fox is planning to merge their Fantastic Four and X-Men franchises. Okay to me this would be a disaster. Fantastic Four doesn't lend itself to the X-Men styled universe. They have powers like mutants, but the Fantastic Four have always been loved in the Marvel universe by the general populace. They're celebrities AND superheroes. Public identities, and even despite Thing's monster-like appearance is an accepted hero who people have little, if any, trouble with. Yeah, doesn't really sound like it would mesh well with a universe where people with powers are hated and feared.

The F4 would work a lot better in Marvel Cinematic Universe in that respect, especially considering the fact they've had more to do with the Avengers than the X-Men over the years. In fact Reed and Sue were Avengers for a time, as was Ben, and I think Johnny was at one point in an alternate universe. My point is that for the Fantastic Four to be portrayed properly they would need to be in a universe where people are more accepting of people with powers. The Marvel Cinematic universe is perfect for this. Now Spider-Man would work in an X-Men styled universe. He's usually portrayed as the hero no one likes in New York, therefore he fits right in with a universe of hated mutants.

21 Comments
21 Comments
Edited by cattlebattle

Its just an idea being forced from the higher ups because of the money Avengers made......Its not a good idea at all and really doesn't help either franchise.

Posted by tensor

It would have been better if they did this with avengers and x-men, that would be much better.

Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude

@cattlebattle said:

Its just an idea being forced from the higher ups because of the money Avengers made......Its not a good idea at all and really doesn't help either franchise.

Exactly. If there was one thing I adored about the original X-Men trilogy, even if X2 was the only one I REALLY liked, was that mutants are the soul superpowered beings in that universe. It makes SENSE for people to be afraid of them, to treat them with distrust, and yes even hate them.

In the Marvel universe it doesn't work for one reason. The idea of mutants overtaking the normal human populace and I can see them being hated in THAT respect, but with so many costumed superheroes with secret identities how do people KNOW who's a mutant and who isn't? Mutants CAN work in the Marvel universe, but their original idea of being a minority that's hated and feared doesn't work anymore since not many people care anymore. Not saying there isn't racism or bigotry anymore, but it's nothing to level it was in the 60's when the X-Men were created.

For the Fantastic Four to exist in this new universe Fox intends to create it creates an INVERSE of the X-Men's problem in the Marvel universe. Being loved and cheered, instead of feared and hated with the mutants

Posted by cattlebattle
@Smart_Dork_Dude said:


Exactly. If there was one thing I adored about the original X-Men trilogy, even if X2 was the only one I REALLY liked, was that mutants are the soul superpowered beings in that universe. It makes SENSE for people to be afraid of them, to treat them with distrust, and yes even hate them.

I agree completely 
 
@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

In the Marvel universe it doesn't work for one reason. The idea of mutants overtaking the normal human populace and I can see them being hated in THAT respect, but with so many costumed superheroes with secret identities how do people KNOW who's a mutant and who isn't? Mutants CAN work in the Marvel universe, but their original idea of being a minority that's hated and feared doesn't work anymore since not many people care anymore. Not saying there isn't racism or bigotry anymore, but it's nothing to level it was in the 60's when the X-Men were created.

For the Fantastic Four to exist in this new universe Fox intends to create it creates an INVERSE of the X-Men's problem in the Marvel universe. Being loved and cheered, instead of feared and hated with the mutants

See I don't think they work in the Marvel Universe either, people know who both Storm and Thor are...they both have the same weather powers and yet...people will still throw rocks at Storm for pretty much no reason other than the Marvel Universe law says so. Thor could be considered just as dangerous as she could be.
Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude

@cattlebattle said:

See I don't think they work in the Marvel Universe either, people know who both Storm and Thor are...they both have the same weather powers and yet...people will still throw rocks at Storm for pretty much no reason other than the Marvel Universe law says so. Thor could be considered just as dangerous as she could be.

Thor is even MORE dangerous. He's got Superman-level strength and a number of other powers besides weather control

Posted by Teerack

I kinda wish Disney would just buy all of fox studios and get all their movie rights back. I mean they can afford it easily.

I mean it's kind of funny though because FF was about to reboot and X-Men claims to have a universe but it's such a mess they really don't.

Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude

@Teerack: It's something about Fox not WILLING to sell since superheroes are the big thing now. If Disney is willing to buy it back for the billions of dollars Fox knows they can make over the next few years with their X-Men and Fantastic Four films, then they'd sell them. However I doubt Disney would be willing to play hard ball and risk losing a lot of money on it. I just wish they'd get the rights back to Fantastic Four. They've already managed to get Daredevil back, so all they need is F4 and Spider-Man. At least Sony is willing to be reasonable and allow their new Spider-Man to be referenced and possibly appear in Marvel's movies. It's small, but it's a start.

Posted by evilvegeta74

@Teerack said:

I kinda wish Disney would just buy all of fox studios and get all their movie rights back. I mean they can afford it easily.

I mean it's kind of funny though because FF was about to reboot and X-Men claims to have a universe but it's such a mess they really don't.

This is another disaster waiting to happen. They are just gonna cause audiences to avoid Xmen and FF movies altogether. Marvel/Disney needs to step in and end the horror.

Posted by Teerack

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@Teerack: It's something about Fox not WILLING to sell since superheroes are the big thing now. If Disney is willing to buy it back for the billions of dollars Fox knows they can make over the next few years with their X-Men and Fantastic Four films, then they'd sell them. However I doubt Disney would be willing to play hard ball and risk losing a lot of money on it. I just wish they'd get the rights back to Fantastic Four. They've already managed to get Daredevil back, so all they need is F4 and Spider-Man. At least Sony is willing to be reasonable and allow their new Spider-Man to be referenced and possibly appear in Marvel's movies. It's small, but it's a start.

That's why I was saying they should buy the whole studio. Disney's got so much money they could literally buy out Sony Entertainment and Fox Studios if they wanted to, and I mean the whole company not just the movie rights. Then they can't really refused when Disney is their new boss.

Posted by Gambit1024

Eh. Don't really care, as I was probably going to watch the movies anyway. Still, I'd like to see them explain why someone like the Thing or Human Torch could be rock stars and Beast or Iceman can't be.

Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude

@Teerack: Hmm. Yeah! How come Disney hasn't done it yet?! Really the only other companies that can compete with them are Warner Brothers and Universal. Reason I say that is because I'm pretty sure they could stave off any attempts at being bought out. A lot more than I can say for Fox and Sony.

Posted by cattlebattle
@Teerack said:


That's why I was saying they should buy the whole studio. Disney's got so much money they could literally buy out Sony Entertainment and Fox Studios if they wanted to, and I mean the whole company not just the movie rights. Then they can't really refused when Disney is their new boss.

This statement is all kinds of wrong. Fox is owned by News Corporation...who is just as rich and corrupt as the folks at Disney.....and they control the media.
Posted by Teerack

@cattlebattle: News Corporation is rich, but they're still not as rich as Disney, that aside in a hostile take over of a company Disney would only need to secure more then 25% of the company to be considered it's parent company.

Posted by cattlebattle
@Teerack said:

@cattlebattle: News Corporation is rich, but they're still not as rich as Disney, that aside in a hostile take over of a company Disney would only need to secure more then 25% of the company to be considered it's parent company.

It would never happen and while Disney may be richer, it likely isn't by much and News Corporation does have more assets across the board. However, a merger could be likely but seeing as how comic movies are churning in money left and right, I could see how they wouldn't want their competitors to cash in.
Posted by poisonfleur

Fantastic Four and X-men have done cross-overs in the past. Besides Once upon a time the Fantastic Four used to be the 'Avengers' of their day.

It's not the best idea I have ever heard..

But with the right creative direction-- this could work. (I would have preferred Elektra to be unearthed instead)

Beat and Reed working on a device to stop Galactic.

Storm and Sue-- are friends.

Iceman meets the Human torch in movie.

The thing makes any moment comical.

Posted by DurararaFTW

Kind of a waste, they'd turned Juggernaut and Phoenix into straight up mutantpowers, I'd feel Last Stand was even more of a sabotage if they were gonna introduce all manner of supernatural beings now.

Posted by drgnx

What's Batman doing in there?

Posted by Rumble Man

Interesting, I hope they do more sci-fi and high end stuff

none of that overused street-level crap please

Edited by PhoenixoftheTides

I agree with you that the Fantastic Four work better in the Avengers universe, but Fox is just trying to make lemons into lemonade. But, yes, the teams really don't work well together despite a few good crossovers.

@poisonfleur: I don't think this panel would go across well in a movie. Brings up a lot of issues that can easily be ignored in the fan community of a comic. (ie: "I have good hair. It's not a weave." - just doesn't go over that well when you imagine this being used in a movie)

Posted by PrinceIMC

If anything I think they need to make an X-Men universe. Don't just deal with the X-Men and the school but the various other teams like X-Factor, X-Force and stuff like that.

Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose

Days Of Future Present was an X-Men/Fantastic Four crossover. Maybe they want to do that after Days Of Future Past.