By Silkcuts 7 Comments
Vertigo has never been good at keeping order in their presentations. Some series have numbered spines, some don't, some jumped into numbered spines randomly. I wonder what the masses want? I am assuming numbered spines because it makes things easier to jump into a series blind.
The following are examples.
Series without numbers:
- 1st printing of Sandman
- Hellblazer (Still never fully collected)
- Vinyl Underground
- 1st printing of Preacher
- The Dreaming (Never fully collected)
Series jumping into numbers random:
- The Invisibles (Vol. 1-6 1st printing do not have numbers... all printing of vol.7 have a #)
- Northlanders (Vol. 1 & 2 1st printing don't have numbers, I have seen numbers on Vol. 3, yet to see one without a number.)
- Shade the Changing Man (1st vol. no numbered spine, then it was reprinted with a new cover to continue collection... okay that makes some sense to the madness).
- Books of magic (This was an abandoned recollected series... collected up to issue 50, Vol.1 first printing has no numbered spine.)
- Doom Patrol (Vol. 1 first printing has no numbered spine. Later Grant Morrison run was fully collected with new covers.)
Series with numbered spines always:
- Fables (always had numbers)
- jack of fables
- The Losers
- Human Target (Series was abandoned collected wise with 2 trades, TV tie-in trade renumbered)
- the unwritten
- Animal Man
- Y: The last man
- Sweet Tooth
- The Unknown Soldier
- Greek Street
- The Exterminators
- House of mystery
- The Un-men
- Madame Xanadu
- Young liars
This makes no sense.... fables is one of the older series and it always had numbers. So was Vinyl Underground and Northlanders pitched as mini series? The Invisibles is weried only number 7 has a number. There maybe more of these funny vertigo things but it it weird to me.
I didn't list 100 bullets and Transmet since my Vol. 1s are not a 1st printing... I know I suck.. so I can't confirm it never having a vol. # or not....
Feel free to add to these lists or discuss whats up with Vertigo? Why are they so confused? Maybe they need to give Berger the boot?