Dead characters I'd like to see return.

    Unlike many of comic fandom, ye made up words a plenty, I tend to favour the super-powerful characters, not gods, because the nature in which they operate next to lower level, lesser beings always intrigues me. And at present it seems the few I have enjoyed seem to be currently deceased with not much sign of return any time soon. So I have a small list of ones that I wish to see come back and perhaps be written a little differently but in keeping with their original powersets. I must warn you though, it seems that, unfortunately, some have become attached with a stigma by comic book fans, and most wish to see these stay dead. One in particular. See if you can guess which one. *Also bear in mind the information is only gathered from what I've read, I am by no means an expert on any of these characters.*
 
    Firstly Genis-Vell a.k.a Photon, which I believe was his last moniker before his demise, was extremely powerful and towards the end was able to reshape reality and had awesome cosmic awareness and a plethora of other cool powers until Zemo scattered his remains in the darkforce dimension so he couldn't be pieced together again  (bummer). Reason for this one is I have a Marvel Encyclopedia which shows an amazing picture of him as Photon, a picture which I cannot find anywhere else, and for me it's one of the best looking superheroes I've ever seen. Personal preference obviously.
 
    Secondly, Gabriel Summers a.k.a Vulcan/Emporer Vulcan etc. I like that after the Deadly Genesis storyline he left for space and was amazingly well endowed, power wise, significantly more so than his brethrin curiosly enough and at one point he had the powers of reactive adaptation from Darwin, time manipulation from Sway and geokinesis from Petra. Personally I believe he should have kept these attributes rather than them just fizzle out or disappear which seems to be the case. Anywho he discovered he could manipulate all forms of energy even the quantum magic of Adam Warlock, mighty impressive. The whole megalomaniac thing for the youngest of the three Summers brothers didn't really do it for me anyways I have found recently that Black Bolt (excellent character) is returning so does this mean his adversayr can also. My logic applies on the basis that the T-Bomb 'killed' them both, so if one can come back surely the other can to. Of course it remains to be seen as to how BB has re-emerged.
 
    Thirdly Robert Reynolds a.k.a Sentry. With the power of a million exploding suns, light manipulation, psychic powers and so forth he is still one of my favourite comicbook characters, probably my number one actually. And I'm not going to say anything about a Superman copy because I do not believe this to be true. Right up until his origins were changed to the drug using, molecule man-esque (power wise) coward that dark avengers and siege made him out to be I loved him. I seriously dislike what was done to him, and felt he was never used properly or effectively. I liked the notion that for every good action he did the void as created by mastermind (which is how I prefer to see it) performed an equally devious act and the Saga of the Sentry. I don't think he was ever written well because there are so many conflicting versions and the whole he knew fantastic four from the silver age or whatever was a touch over the top but nonetheless I want him back and written properly. Perhaps he'd be better suited to a space travelling story rather than an earth bound one. And as he can reform I hope he returns soon, presented in a different light. 
 
    Finally, for balance I shall mention a DC character, to which I must confess am a lot less learned than the others but still very interested to see them come back. Joshua Saunders a.k.a Takion, whom I believe to be Avatar to the Source or sometihng along those lines, as such massively powerful and somewhat related to the New Gods and Highfather, who created him. A shame to see him killed along with the New Gods by the Infiniyy man who I know nothing about what-so-ever. 
 
    I needed to get that off my chest, and kudos to you if you managed to read this far without boredom seeping in. Until next time.

23 Comments
23 Comments
Posted by rightprice

Well said and I agree with you on all accounts.  

Posted by Kid_Omega_Prime
Posted by DogSoldier88

I agree. The Sentry was the character that made me finally read some OTHER comic book besides The Punisher. In fact, he was the character that made me read comics again after many years of setting it aside. Once they killed him off, I have lost enthusiasm for most titles. In fact, I'm almost done reading then again. Until they bring a chracter like him back, or create a new one with such intrigue, I don't think I'll be reading comics that much anymore.
Posted by stu

I reallllly want Vulcan and genis-vell to come back. they are 2 of my fav characters!

Posted by JediXMan

Black Bolt and Genis-Vell. I only want Sentry to come back if there is NO VOID and they're not trying to make him the ultimate hero. I'm sorry but it was just stupid.

Moderator
Edited by Thor's hammmer

I want Genis, Vulcan and Bob back.. but idk if iwant him as sentry, void or both but the character I reall want back.... 
 

The God of War!

 
Posted by The Lobster
The Question. Vic Sage deserves to come back.
Posted by Enzeru
@LordRequiem said:
Thirdly Robert Reynolds a.k.a Sentry. With the power of a million exploding suns, light manipulation, psychic powers and so forth he is still one of my favourite comicbook characters, probably my number one actually. And I'm not going to say anything about a Superman copy because I do not believe this to be true. Right up until his origins were changed to the drug using, molecule man-esque (power wise) coward that dark avengers and siege made him out to be I loved him. I seriously dislike what was done to him, and felt he was never used properly or effectively. I liked the notion that for every good action he did the void as created by mastermind (which is how I prefer to see it) performed an equally devious act and the Saga of the Sentry. I don't think he was ever written well because there are so many conflicting versions and the whole he knew fantastic four from the silver age or whatever was a touch over the top but nonetheless I want him back and written properly. Perhaps he'd be better suited to a space travelling story rather than an earth bound one. And as he can reform I hope he returns soon, presented in a different light.  
He had matter manipulative powers from the very beginning.
However...
 
I would also mostly love to see Sentry returning to the Marvel universe, but simply staying away from superhero-teams in the future, since he is too powerful for them and the balance breaks, when he appears. 
I would also love to see the Void again, as his arch nemesis, but the Void should be a separate entity.
Posted by progenitor

Sabretooth & The Sentry.
Posted by Jnr6Lil
@The Lobster said:
The Question. Vic Sage deserves to come back.
Interesting, I honestly thought that him being dead allowed Renee Montoya to develop, His death was also realistic.
Posted by AtteraTotusSanctus

The Sentry. @Enzeru said:

@LordRequiem said:
Thirdly Robert Reynolds a.k.a Sentry. With the power of a million exploding suns, light manipulation, psychic powers and so forth he is still one of my favourite comicbook characters, probably my number one actually. And I'm not going to say anything about a Superman copy because I do not believe this to be true. Right up until his origins were changed to the drug using, molecule man-esque (power wise) coward that dark avengers and siege made him out to be I loved him. I seriously dislike what was done to him, and felt he was never used properly or effectively. I liked the notion that for every good action he did the void as created by mastermind (which is how I prefer to see it) performed an equally devious act and the Saga of the Sentry. I don't think he was ever written well because there are so many conflicting versions and the whole he knew fantastic four from the silver age or whatever was a touch over the top but nonetheless I want him back and written properly. Perhaps he'd be better suited to a space travelling story rather than an earth bound one. And as he can reform I hope he returns soon, presented in a different light.  
He had matter manipulative powers from the very beginning. However...  I would also mostly love to see Sentry returning to the Marvel universe, but simply staying away from superhero-teams in the future, since he is too powerful for them and the balance breaks, when he appears.  I would also love to see the Void again, as his arch nemesis, but the Void should be a separate entity.
I agree with the no superhero-teams thing and the void. Sentry was one of my favorites, so I would love to see him return. 
 
Also I would like to see Black Bolt returned. 
Posted by Enzeru
@AtteraTotusSanctus said:
I agree with the no superhero-teams thing and the void. Sentry was one of my favorites, so I would love to see him return.  Also I would like to see Black Bolt returned. 
Didn't Black Bolt return in the last few FF (Fantastic Four / Future Foundation) issues?
Posted by AtteraTotusSanctus
@Enzeru: Just looked it up and he did. I have to check that out.
Posted by GTG12

Human Torch or Jean Grey.
Posted by MrUnknown

Ares and Phobos.

Posted by The Lobster
@Jnr6Lil said:
@The Lobster said:
The Question. Vic Sage deserves to come back.
Interesting, I honestly thought that him being dead allowed Renee Montoya to develop, His death was also realistic.
Oh I agree, his death was worthy of such a great character. As I said in one of my reviews "This is the man that died because of his past arrogance and not a fight with a super-villian. This is the guy who managed to survive everything that stepped in his way and it took something as emotionally powerful as cancer to take him down." The problem is that I thought that Renne Montoya would be a worthy predecessor, although so far she just hasn't shown that she was as great to read as Vic Sage. In fact the only time I enjoyed reading her was when she was with working with Vic Sage.
 
I think Vic Sage should come back to life, and he and Montoya should become The QuestionS. Work as a team of faceless detectives. That would be awesome.
Posted by Jnr6Lil
@The Lobster said:
@Jnr6Lil said:
@The Lobster said:
The Question. Vic Sage deserves to come back.
Interesting, I honestly thought that him being dead allowed Renee Montoya to develop, His death was also realistic.
Oh I agree, his death was worthy of such a great character. As I said in one of my reviews "This is the man that died because of his past arrogance and not a fight with a super-villian. This is the guy who managed to survive everything that stepped in his way and it took something as emotionally powerful as cancer to take him down." The problem is that I thought that Renne Montoya would be a worthy predecessor, although so far she just hasn't shown that she was as great to read as Vic Sage. In fact the only time I enjoyed reading her was when she was with working with Vic Sage.
 
I think Vic Sage should come back to life, and he and Montoya should become The QuestionS. Work as a team of faceless detectives. That would be awesome.
Well due to the lack of female heroes in comics I'm afraid I'll have to turn down your idea . I do think she's still living The Question 's shadow and needs a groundbreaking moment.
 
But I agree, His death was realistic, He wasn't killed by a villain, he didn't die in battle, Like you said it was his own arrogance that killed him, All those years of smoking took a toll on him and gave him lung cancer.
Posted by stu

-*the whole megalomaniac thing for the youngest of the three Summers brothers didn't really do it for me*
 
really?! thats the best part!! That is why vulcan is so awesome!

Posted by TheCrowbar

Ben Reily 

Posted by _Zombie_

Ares, Phobos, and Ben Reily.

Posted by thanos1970

bill the cat from Bloom county  Milo Bloom what happen what.....my god hes not dead again...no hes till going ptthhhhh opus.

Posted by TheRealJeanGrey
Posted by BlackArmor
@The Lobster said:


                   
The Question. Vic Sage deserves to come back.