Direct Translation versus Adaptation

Lets chat, shall we? I've been becoming increasing annoyed with all the Wolverine: Origins complaints because people's favorite characters aren't exactly the same from book to film. So, lets talk about movies in general.

The film industry is a wonderful thing. They take some of your favorite properties from the literacy world and turn them into great big movies. It's a lot of hard work to do that too! There are two things we need to talk about when it comes to your comics being turned into films, and that is Direct Translation Vs. Adaptation.

Direct Translation is essentially taking a piece, word for word and putting it on the big screen. This DOES NOT exist in Hollywood. However, a few films come close such as, Watchmen, 300, and Sin City. It is an impossibility to take your favorite comic and put it exactly how it is into a film.

Adaptation is taking a great piece of work and finding a way to make it work on the big screen. They are not only trying to stay close to the source material, but they are also adapting it so the mainstream audiences can enjoy it. Remember, Hollywood wants to please you, but they'd like to please the majority of the American (and International) public a lot more. So, if the producer or writer or director wants a character to be black instead of white for whatever reason, it happens. If they want a character to be taller because they think the person they're casting (who is tall) is better suited, so be it. You need to remember these are adaptations of characters.


MOST IMPORTANT POINT!
OR think about it this way... Each film is a different dimension, like the Ultimate universe! Therefor, you don't have to be mad because they don't exist in the mainline universe!


So, next time you want to complain about trivial little details from the comic to film adaptation, how about this.... Don't. Your wasting your time, nothing is going to change. In fact, some of these films go back to do re shoots in hopes to please the fanboys, but nothing is ever good enough it seems for some people.
Sit back, enjoy the movie, it was made for EVERYONE... not just the comic book fans.

52 Comments
52 Comments
  • 52 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by Erik
inferiorego said:
"Lets chat, shall we? I've been becoming increasing annoyed with all the Wolverine: Origins complaints because people's favorite characters aren't exactly the same from book to film. So, lets talk about movies in general.

The film industry is a wonderful thing. They take some of your favorite properties from the literacy world and turn them into great big movies. It's a lot of hard work to do that too! There are two things we need to talk about when it comes to your comics being turned into films, and that is Direct Translation Vs. Adaptation.

Direct Translation is essentially taking a piece, word for word and putting it on the big screen. This DOES NOT exist in Hollywood. However, a few films come close such as, Watchmen, 300, and Sin City. It is an impossibility to take your favorite comic and put it exactly how it is into a film.

Adaptation is taking a great piece of work and finding a way to make it work on the big screen. They are not only trying to stay close to the source material, but they are also adapting it so the mainstream audiences can enjoy it. Remember, Hollywood wants to please you, but they'd like to please the majority of the American (and International) public a lot more. So, if the producer or writer or director wants a character to be black instead of white for whatever reason, it happens. If they want a character to be taller because they think the person they're casting (who is tall) is better suited, so be it. You need to remember these are adaptations of characters.


MOST IMPORTANT POINT!OR think about it this way... Each film is a different dimension, like the Ultimate universe! Therefor, you don't have to be mad because they don't exist in the mainline universe!So, next time you want to complain about trivial little details from the comic to film adaptation, how about this.... Don't. Your wasting your time, nothing is going to change. In fact, some of these films go back to do re shoots in hopes to please the fanboys, but nothing is ever good enough it seems for some people. Sit back, enjoy the movie, it was made for EVERYONE... not just the comic book fans."
That last part is exactly how I feel about comic movies. It is just an alternate universe. I think your whole argument is spot on. I grow tired of people bi#ching about things being changed or that do not line up perfectly for fans. Just enjoy the movie for what it is. 
Posted by inferiorego

Exactly. The most ridiculous thing I've read, which was from here, was someone complaining that in the previews, Gambit's eye weren't red..... If that makes you mad, wait until you see what they did to his powers.... At the same time, I have to laugh at how upset they get about minor details that don't matter.

Staff
Posted by Erik

Lol. Being a Wolverine, Gambit, and Deadpool fan. I imagine there would be a lot I could be upset about if this was supposed to be a direct translation. Seeing as how it is an adaption and therefore in my mind an alternate universe, I am going to be happy as long as the story is good and the acting is high quality. 

Posted by inferiorego

Liev carries the film. Not saying Hugh wasn't great, he was, but Liev was the centerpiece for me.

Staff
Posted by Erik

That is fine by me. Hugh held the limelight in their last film together. I am thinking they are taking turns. 

Posted by inferiorego
erik said:
"That is fine by me. Hugh held the limelight in their last film together. I am thinking they are taking turns. "
Actually, overall, the casting was phenomenal. I don't have any complaints, and I can not wait to see it on the big screen.... Possibly twice.... And I usually don't see films twice in the theater.
Staff
Posted by cly

Nice blog post. ^^ Well thought out. I agree, that a movie really doesn't show it like the comics, no matter how hard they try. If one is really that much of a fan, they should treat a movie as a different universe you could say, kind of like the normal universe, and the "ultimates." Just an idea. Good job! :D

Posted by inferiorego
cly said:
"Nice blog post. ^^ Well thought out. I agree, that a movie really doesn't show it like the comics, no matter how hard they try. If one is really that much of a fan, they should treat a movie as a different universe you could say, kind of like the normal universe, and the "ultimates." Just an idea. Good job! :D"
::bows::
See, and you thought I was just a "goofball"
Staff
Posted by cly
inferiorego said:
"cly said:
"Nice blog post. ^^ Well thought out. I agree, that a movie really doesn't show it like the comics, no matter how hard they try. If one is really that much of a fan, they should treat a movie as a different universe you could say, kind of like the normal universe, and the "ultimates." Just an idea. Good job! :D"
::bows::See, and you thought I was just a "goofball""
Duh. XD lol j/k

Uh...I guess there is a time to be random, goofy, weird, strange, creepy, and then a time to be "normal" or greater than normal. XD
Posted by inferiorego
cly said:
"inferiorego said:
"cly said:
"Nice blog post. ^^ Well thought out. I agree, that a movie really doesn't show it like the comics, no matter how hard they try. If one is really that much of a fan, they should treat a movie as a different universe you could say, kind of like the normal universe, and the "ultimates." Just an idea. Good job! :D"
::bows::See, and you thought I was just a "goofball""
Duh. XD lol j/kUh...I guess there is a time to be random, goofy, weird, strange, creepy, and then a time to be "normal" or greater than normal. XD"
Depends how mad I am.... When I wrote this I was at a 9... out of 5.
Staff
Posted by cly
inferiorego said:
"cly said:
"inferiorego said:
"cly said:
"Nice blog post. ^^ Well thought out. I agree, that a movie really doesn't show it like the comics, no matter how hard they try. If one is really that much of a fan, they should treat a movie as a different universe you could say, kind of like the normal universe, and the "ultimates." Just an idea. Good job! :D"
::bows::See, and you thought I was just a "goofball""
Duh. XD lol j/kUh...I guess there is a time to be random, goofy, weird, strange, creepy, and then a time to be "normal" or greater than normal. XD"
Depends how mad I am.... When I wrote this I was at a 9... out of 5."
O_o

I could tell by the tone in your voice. XD Wow, you were mad! :O I'm usually not mad, just tired, dead tired, or the occasional dead. XD
Posted by inferiorego

The longer my work-week feels, the angrier I get.....INFERIOREGO SMOOSH!

Staff
Posted by Erik
inferiorego said:
"The longer my work-week feels, the angrier I get.....INFERIOREGO SMOOSH!"
It is a good thing you only have to work two more days this week. 
Posted by Erik

Two more loooooonnnnnnnnng 9 - 10 hour days dealing with little bastards. 

Posted by inferiorego
erik said:
"Two more loooooonnnnnnnnng 9 - 10 hour days dealing with little bastards. "
Tomorrow is my Friday.... thank science..... So one more day.
Staff
Posted by cly
inferiorego said:
"The longer my work-week feels, the angrier I get.....INFERIOREGO SMOOSH!"
O_O

lol

erik said:
"inferiorego said:
"The longer my work-week feels, the angrier I get.....INFERIOREGO SMOOSH!"
It is a good thing you only have to work two more days this week. 
"
Whipsers to erik. He's one of those workaholics, working 8 days a week!

Posted by inferiorego
cly said:
"inferiorego said:
"The longer my work-week feels, the angrier I get.....INFERIOREGO SMOOSH!"
O_O

lol

erik said:
"inferiorego said:
"The longer my work-week feels, the angrier I get.....INFERIOREGO SMOOSH!"
It is a good thing you only have to work two more days this week. 
"
Whipsers to erik. He's one of those workaholics, working 8 days a week!"
6 days actually.... thanks ringo
Staff
Posted by Erik

So what made you want to be a teenagers punching bag for the rest of your life IE?

Posted by aztek_the_lost

eek! I'll have to stop insane fanboys from reading this blog post otherwise common sense might overwhelm their stupidity and I can't laugh at them anymore :O

Moderator
Posted by aztek_the_lost

on second thought, common sense, fanboy, ha! that could never happen...we're safe

Moderator
Posted by inferiorego
erik said:
"So what made you want to be a teenagers punching bag for the rest of your life IE?"
Because, at the end of the day, the job is very fulfilling.

aztek the lost said:
"on second thought, common sense, fanboy, ha! that could never happen...we're safe"
QFT

Staff
Posted by Erik
inferiorego said:
"erik said:
"So what made you want to be a teenagers punching bag for the rest of your life IE?"
Because, at the end of the day, the job is very fulfilling.

aztek the lost said:
"on second thought, common sense, fanboy, ha! that could never happen...we're safe"
QFT"
The one student that learns something makes up for all the abuse, disrespect, and all around nasty monsters?
Posted by inferiorego
erik said:
"inferiorego said:
"erik said:
"So what made you want to be a teenagers punching bag for the rest of your life IE?"
Because, at the end of the day, the job is very fulfilling.

aztek the lost said:
"on second thought, common sense, fanboy, ha! that could never happen...we're safe"
QFT"
The one student that learns something makes up for all the abuse, disrespect, and all around nasty monsters?
"
sadly....yes
Staff
Posted by Erik

Even the horrible pay?!

Posted by inferiorego
erik said:
"Even the horrible pay?!"
sometimes
Staff
Posted by danhimself

awesome blog buddy

Posted by inferiorego
danhimself said:
"awesome blog buddy"
Thanks. Now where's the spoiler reply?
Staff
Posted by danhimself
inferiorego said:
"danhimself said:
"awesome blog buddy"
Thanks. Now where's the spoiler reply?"
oh ummmm....i hear it's going to be kind of like demon in a bottle
Posted by Abnormally Warm Guy

I just want to say that I agree. Films are adaptions. Watching something you've already read only works if it's somethign like Watchmen. 300 didn't really do it for me. V for Vendetta was much better then it would have been if it were a direct representation. It just wouldn't have worked on film. And hey, most people hated Venom in Spider-man three. I didn't think it was that bad. SUre it sucks he died but Raimi wanted to end the series there. Seems like a good ending to me. Of course Fox was able to pay him enough to come back and do more but Spidey has plenty more good villains to choose from.

That being said. The adapted characters still have resemble the essence of their source material and that's where X-men Origins: Wolverine falls flat on it face. Wolverine has had a dark past. He spends most of his present time tryig to get vengegance or atone for past sins. It's what makes him interesting. And don't even get me started on Deadpool. That pathetic excuse for a representation of one of the most fun Marvel characters is down right dispicable. Call me whiney but when the character doesn't even resemble the source material anymore I think you should just re-name it.

Posted by inferiorego
Abnormally Warm Guy said:
"I just want to say that I agree. Films are adaptions. Watching something you've already read only works if it's somethign like Watchmen. 300 didn't really do it for me. V for Vendetta was much better then it would have been if it were a direct representation. It just wouldn't have worked on film. And hey, most people hated Venom in Spider-man three. I didn't think it was that bad. SUre it sucks he died but Raimi wanted to end the series there. Seems like a good ending to me. Of course Fox was able to pay him enough to come back and do more but Spidey has plenty more good villains to choose from.That being said. The adapted characters still have resemble the essence of their source material and that's where X-men Origins: Wolverine falls flat on it face. Wolverine has had a dark past. He spends most of his present time tryig to get vengegance or atone for past sins. It's what makes him interesting. And don't even get me started on Deadpool. That pathetic excuse for a representation of one of the most fun Marvel characters is down right dispicable. Call me whiney but when the character doesn't even resemble the source material anymore I think you should just re-name it."
In the comics, Ultimate Deadpool didn't represent the 616, and I didn't hear anyone complaining then.
Staff
Posted by ~The Wanderer~

Awesome blog Ego. I totally agree that movies are alternate universes, and can't be expected to be exactly like in the comics (or whatever media the original story was from).

Posted by captainrage

Just wait until you see the youthful (read; stretched) Patrick Stewart..

Posted by inferiorego
captainrage said:
"Just wait until you see the youthful (read; stretched) Patrick Stewart.."
I was fine with him, he did have a Joan Rivers-esque look about him though
Staff
Posted by the Vica
Nice blog. Obviously I agree with what you're saying for the most part, (Although a small part of me did go 'Aww man...' when I found out Gambit's eyes weren't red... lol) but...

inferiorego
said:
"Abnormally Warm Guy said:
"I just want to say that I agree. Films are adaptions. Watching something you've already read only works if it's somethign like Watchmen. 300 didn't really do it for me. V for Vendetta was much better then it would have been if it were a direct representation. It just wouldn't have worked on film. And hey, most people hated Venom in Spider-man three. I didn't think it was that bad. SUre it sucks he died but Raimi wanted to end the series there. Seems like a good ending to me. Of course Fox was able to pay him enough to come back and do more but Spidey has plenty more good villains to choose from.That being said. The adapted characters still have resemble the essence of their source material and that's where X-men Origins: Wolverine falls flat on it face. Wolverine has had a dark past. He spends most of his present time tryig to get vengegance or atone for past sins. It's what makes him interesting. And don't even get me started on Deadpool. That pathetic excuse for a representation of one of the most fun Marvel characters is down right dispicable. Call me whiney but when the character doesn't even resemble the source material anymore I think you should just re-name it."
In the comics, Ultimate Deadpool didn't represent the 616, and I didn't hear anyone complaining then."
Yeah, he kinda did. He still joked, he was still an amazing fighter... He wasn't an exact copy but he was an adaptation of Deadpool...

But as far as I can tell (I've been avoiding everything resembling spoilers recently so this might have changed) Weapon XI has nothing Deadpool-like about him. He is a totally different character and they have just given him the name Deadpool. He's not an adaptation at all, just a totally separate character with Deadpool's name.
Posted by inferiorego
the Vica said:
"
Nice blog. Obviously I agree with what you're saying for the most part, (Although a small part of me did go 'Aww man...' when I found out Gambit's eyes weren't red... lol) but...

inferiorego
said:
"Abnormally Warm Guy said:
"I just want to say that I agree. Films are adaptions. Watching something you've already read only works if it's somethign like Watchmen. 300 didn't really do it for me. V for Vendetta was much better then it would have been if it were a direct representation. It just wouldn't have worked on film. And hey, most people hated Venom in Spider-man three. I didn't think it was that bad. SUre it sucks he died but Raimi wanted to end the series there. Seems like a good ending to me. Of course Fox was able to pay him enough to come back and do more but Spidey has plenty more good villains to choose from.That being said. The adapted characters still have resemble the essence of their source material and that's where X-men Origins: Wolverine falls flat on it face. Wolverine has had a dark past. He spends most of his present time tryig to get vengegance or atone for past sins. It's what makes him interesting. And don't even get me started on Deadpool. That pathetic excuse for a representation of one of the most fun Marvel characters is down right dispicable. Call me whiney but when the character doesn't even resemble the source material anymore I think you should just re-name it."
In the comics, Ultimate Deadpool didn't represent the 616, and I didn't hear anyone complaining then."
Yeah, he kinda did. He still joked, he was still an amazing fighter... He wasn't an exact copy but he was an adaptation of Deadpool...

But as far as I can tell (I've been avoiding everything resembling spoilers recently so this might have changed) Weapon XI has nothing Deadpool-like about him. He is a totally different character and they have just given him the name Deadpool. He's not an adaptation at all, just a totally separate character with Deadpool's name.
"
Different universe, they can do whatever they want. Just try and sit back and enjoy. He's not Deadpool at that point anymore anyway.
Staff
Edited by the Vica
inferiorego said:
"the Vica said:
"
Nice blog. Obviously I agree with what you're saying for the most part, (Although a small part of me did go 'Aww man...' when I found out Gambit's eyes weren't red... lol) but...

inferiorego
said:
"Abnormally Warm Guy said:
"I just want to say that I agree. Films are adaptions. Watching something you've already read only works if it's somethign like Watchmen. 300 didn't really do it for me. V for Vendetta was much better then it would have been if it were a direct representation. It just wouldn't have worked on film. And hey, most people hated Venom in Spider-man three. I didn't think it was that bad. SUre it sucks he died but Raimi wanted to end the series there. Seems like a good ending to me. Of course Fox was able to pay him enough to come back and do more but Spidey has plenty more good villains to choose from.That being said. The adapted characters still have resemble the essence of their source material and that's where X-men Origins: Wolverine falls flat on it face. Wolverine has had a dark past. He spends most of his present time tryig to get vengegance or atone for past sins. It's what makes him interesting. And don't even get me started on Deadpool. That pathetic excuse for a representation of one of the most fun Marvel characters is down right dispicable. Call me whiney but when the character doesn't even resemble the source material anymore I think you should just re-name it."
In the comics, Ultimate Deadpool didn't represent the 616, and I didn't hear anyone complaining then."
Yeah, he kinda did. He still joked, he was still an amazing fighter... He wasn't an exact copy but he was an adaptation of Deadpool...

But as far as I can tell (I've been avoiding everything resembling spoilers recently so this might have changed) Weapon XI has nothing Deadpool-like about him. He is a totally different character and they have just given him the name Deadpool. He's not an adaptation at all, just a totally separate character with Deadpool's name.
"
Different universe, they can do whatever they want. Just try and sit back and enjoy. He's not Deadpool at that point anymore anyway."
I didn't say I was mad about it.

Sure at first I was all "WTF??? THEY'VE F'KIN MURDERED DEADPOOL'S CHARACTER!!! ROOOOOAARRRRR!!!"

But I'm over it now :P

I plan on trying to actually enjoy the movie instead of wasting my time focusing on the fact that Deadpool isn't Deadpool and Gambit's eyes are the wrong colour.

I'm just sayin, it's not Deadpool. And that's why most people are mad.
Posted by inferiorego

You can have this debate about ANY character in any comic book movie though.

Staff
Posted by the Vica
inferiorego said:
"You can have this debate about ANY character in any comic book movie though."
Not ANY character... With most characters they have lots of similarities to the comics, even if there are a few things missing. Take Spider-Man, Tobey may be missing the humour and a couple other things, but in essence, he's still Spider-Man. Batman is still Batman. Superman is Superman.

Hell, even if the writing is bad at least they have a similar look and abilities to their comic counterparts. With Deadpool he doesn't have the same costume, he doesn't have any similar personality traits (as Weapon XI) and while he has his healing factor, he's also got like, five other powers too. There is nothing in his character that is in any way similar to Deadpool other than the fact that he can heal, which is why I see the Deadpool in this movie as more of an original character rather than an adaptation. They made up this Weapon XI character (Who has no mouth, something very un-Deadpool) and decided to use Deadpool's name for him.

Oh, and I do remember reading something about the origin in his name which was kinda... Stupid, lol

"He'll be a pool of all the mutant powers..." *Dramatic pause* "A DEAD-Pool!"

... What? I mean seriously, what does that even mean? Tell me that line is not in the actual movie, please.

But anyway, I hope I'm gonna enjoy the movie anyway. I'd enjoy it if Deadpool wasn't in it. And as Deadpool isn't REALLY in the movie anyway, it doesn't affect me that much. At least we still get Blob and Gambit. :)
Posted by inferiorego

First, I don't remember that line, but it may have slipped past me.

The personality is there (well, not exactly as he is in the comics, but that won't translate), the mouthyness is there, the attitude is there. It's the same type of thing as movie Galactus vs Galan Galactus. They're both great in their own right.

Staff
Posted by the Vica
inferiorego said:
"First, I don't remember that line, but it may have slipped past me.The personality is there (well, not exactly as he is in the comics, but that won't translate), the mouthyness is there, the attitude is there. It's the same type of thing as movie Galactus vs Galan Galactus. They're both great in their own right."
I wouldn't call movie Galactus 'great'. Not cause of the whole "He ain't a big purple giant dat eats planets!" thing, but because he only appeared for a few minutes... Even then, Doom seemed to be the main villain anyway...

Besides, a floating gas that doesn't talk and has barely any screen time can't really be considered a 'great' villain, lol. Basically he was surpassed by both Surfer and Doom, imo. The board seemed to be more powerful than frickin Galactus. (Since he was so easy for Surfer to defeat... Hmm, why didn't he just kill Galactus before?)

Anyway, from what I've seen of Deadpool when he becomes Weapon XI, the personality , attitude and mouthiness are not there... But we're heading into Spoiler territory so I'm gonna stop talkin about it.
Posted by inferiorego

I loved movie Galactus and thought it was an amazing way to translate the character to the big screen. A single, giant space entity... beautiful. Doom sucked, mainly because I just didn't care for him as a villain in the film.

When he his Wade, all of that is there. That's all I'll say.


Staff
Posted by the Vica
inferiorego said:
"I loved movie Galactus and thought it was an amazing way to translate the character to the big screen. A single, giant space entity... beautiful. Doom sucked, mainly because I just didn't care for him as a villain in the film.When he his Wade, all of that is there. That's all I'll say."
Thanks for not spoiling, I won't be able to see the movie till next week, godammit.

I wasn't too keen on Doom either, but he did steal the 'main villain' role from Galactus, IMO. Even the Surfer was a bigger villain than Galactus. And then at the end, when all is lost, Surfer is all 'Ya know what, it turns out I'm actually more powerful than the dude/gas cloud that created me. Go figure.'

I liked the idea of movie Galactus, but not the delivery. He could have been great, but for me, he wasn't. Maybe I just like my villains to be able to talk, I dunno... And how exactly did Norrin 'bargain' with a giant cloud of gas to become his herald anyway? I haven't seen the movie in a while, but if I recall Surfer had essentially the same origin.

Would've been better if Surfer didn't bargain with Galactus at all... That he obtained the board by other means (Since the board was all-powerful) and went around warning other planets about the approach of the world-eater so they didn't suffer the same fate as Zenn-La... Eh.

Oh, and just something I remember seeing somewhere else on the Vine... It's kinda related... Zachary Quinto as Namor. Does anyone else LOVE that idea as much as me?
Posted by inferiorego
the Vica said:
"inferiorego said:
"I loved movie Galactus and thought it was an amazing way to translate the character to the big screen. A single, giant space entity... beautiful. Doom sucked, mainly because I just didn't care for him as a villain in the film.When he his Wade, all of that is there. That's all I'll say."
Thanks for not spoiling, I won't be able to see the movie till next week, godammit.I wasn't too keen on Doom either, but he did steal the 'main villain' role from Galactus, IMO. Even the Surfer was a bigger villain than Galactus. And then at the end, when all is lost, Surfer is all 'Ya know what, it turns out I'm actually more powerful than the dude/gas cloud that created me. Go figure.'I liked the idea of movie Galactus, but not the delivery. He could have been great, but for me, he wasn't. Maybe I just like my villains to be able to talk, I dunno... And how exactly did Norrin 'bargain' with a giant cloud of gas to become his herald anyway? I haven't seen the movie in a while, but if I recall Surfer had essentially the same origin.Would've been better if Surfer didn't bargain with Galactus at all... That he obtained the board by other means (Since the board was all-powerful) and went around warning other planets about the approach of the world-eater so they didn't suffer the same fate as Zenn-La... Eh.Oh, and just something I remember seeing somewhere else on the Vine... It's kinda related... Zachary Quinto as Namor. Does anyone else LOVE that idea as much as me?"
No idea who Zachary Quinto is
Staff
Posted by Bio Guyver

People like to trip  lot. It ain't simple to copy off a film the way it is in the book. Just like some movies being made into comics, some suck. A lot of movies aren't accurate, but that doesn't make the movie bad. There are a lot of good films out there. Some movies keep a lot of details from the comics, but twist it for different reasons. Maybe so the film can be enjoyed by a wide audience. Maybe have you stopped and think about how long comic series are to include every detail? You can't have "the" perfect comic movie. I want to see the crying fans try to take a shot at making a film based off books. It seems like it's easy to make according to them. Everyone is picky about something.

One more thing.....

To all the pissed off Deadpool fans...I know what happens in the movie. Stop bragging about how they f#cked up Wade. I think his appearance suits him, he's a messed character anyway. Plus, they might make a Deadpool movie. That is damn lucky for the hardcore fans. I wish Blue Beetle could get a movie deal like Wade might.

Posted by Crimson Orchid

I look at all comicbook/book/video game based movies as if they were an alternate universe.  Can't be disappointed that way.

Posted by Bio Guyver
inferiorego said:
"the Vica said:
"inferiorego said:
"I loved movie Galactus and thought it was an amazing way to translate the character to the big screen. A single, giant space entity... beautiful. Doom sucked, mainly because I just didn't care for him as a villain in the film.When he his Wade, all of that is there. That's all I'll say."
Thanks for not spoiling, I won't be able to see the movie till next week, godammit.I wasn't too keen on Doom either, but he did steal the 'main villain' role from Galactus, IMO. Even the Surfer was a bigger villain than Galactus. And then at the end, when all is lost, Surfer is all 'Ya know what, it turns out I'm actually more powerful than the dude/gas cloud that created me. Go figure.'I liked the idea of movie Galactus, but not the delivery. He could have been great, but for me, he wasn't. Maybe I just like my villains to be able to talk, I dunno... And how exactly did Norrin 'bargain' with a giant cloud of gas to become his herald anyway? I haven't seen the movie in a while, but if I recall Surfer had essentially the same origin.Would've been better if Surfer didn't bargain with Galactus at all... That he obtained the board by other means (Since the board was all-powerful) and went around warning other planets about the approach of the world-eater so they didn't suffer the same fate as Zenn-La... Eh.Oh, and just something I remember seeing somewhere else on the Vine... It's kinda related... Zachary Quinto as Namor. Does anyone else LOVE that idea as much as me?"
No idea who Zachary Quinto is"

Spock
Posted by inferiorego
Bio Guyver said:
"inferiorego said:
"the Vica said:
"inferiorego said:
"I loved movie Galactus and thought it was an amazing way to translate the character to the big screen. A single, giant space entity... beautiful. Doom sucked, mainly because I just didn't care for him as a villain in the film.When he his Wade, all of that is there. That's all I'll say."
Thanks for not spoiling, I won't be able to see the movie till next week, godammit.I wasn't too keen on Doom either, but he did steal the 'main villain' role from Galactus, IMO. Even the Surfer was a bigger villain than Galactus. And then at the end, when all is lost, Surfer is all 'Ya know what, it turns out I'm actually more powerful than the dude/gas cloud that created me. Go figure.'I liked the idea of movie Galactus, but not the delivery. He could have been great, but for me, he wasn't. Maybe I just like my villains to be able to talk, I dunno... And how exactly did Norrin 'bargain' with a giant cloud of gas to become his herald anyway? I haven't seen the movie in a while, but if I recall Surfer had essentially the same origin.Would've been better if Surfer didn't bargain with Galactus at all... That he obtained the board by other means (Since the board was all-powerful) and went around warning other planets about the approach of the world-eater so they didn't suffer the same fate as Zenn-La... Eh.Oh, and just something I remember seeing somewhere else on the Vine... It's kinda related... Zachary Quinto as Namor. Does anyone else LOVE that idea as much as me?"
No idea who Zachary Quinto is"
Spock"
that guy rules, he does look namoresque


Crimson Orchid said:
"I look at all comicbook/book/video game based movies as if they were an alternate universe.  Can't be disappointed that way."
same here, but the deadpool fanboys don't have that capability

Bio Guyver said:
"People like to trip  lot. It ain't simple to copy off a film the way it is in the book. Just like some movies being made into comics, some suck. A lot of movies aren't accurate, but that doesn't make the movie bad. There are a lot of good films out there. Some movies keep a lot of details from the comics, but twist it for different reasons. Maybe so the film can be enjoyed by a wide audience. Maybe have you stopped and think about how long comic series are to include every detail? You can't have "the" perfect comic movie. I want to see the crying fans try to take a shot at making a film based off books. It seems like it's easy to make according to them. Everyone is picky about something.One more thing.....To all the pissed off Deadpool fans...I know what happens in the movie. Stop bragging about how they f#cked up Wade. I think his appearance suits him, he's a messed character anyway. Plus, they might make a Deadpool movie. That is damn lucky for the hardcore fans. I wish Blue Beetle could get a movie deal like Wade might."

we're on the same page sir.

Staff
Posted by Crimson Orchid
inferiorego said:
"Crimson Orchid said:
"I look at all comicbook/book/video game based movies as if they were an alternate universe.  Can't be disappointed that way."
same here, but the deadpool fanboys don't have that capability"
... I'm a Deadpool fangirl...
Posted by inferiorego
Crimson Orchid said:
"inferiorego said:
"Crimson Orchid said:
"I look at all comicbook/book/video game based movies as if they were an alternate universe.  Can't be disappointed that way."
same here, but the deadpool fanboys don't have that capability"
... I'm a Deadpool fangirl..."
I know, that's why I said "fanboy".... phew, covered up that one pretty good. We'll just change it to "most" deadpool fans don't have that capability.
Staff
Posted by the Vica
inferiorego said:
"Bio Guyver said:
"inferiorego said:
"the Vica said:
"inferiorego said:
"I loved movie Galactus and thought it was an amazing way to translate the character to the big screen. A single, giant space entity... beautiful. Doom sucked, mainly because I just didn't care for him as a villain in the film.When he his Wade, all of that is there. That's all I'll say."
Thanks for not spoiling, I won't be able to see the movie till next week, godammit.I wasn't too keen on Doom either, but he did steal the 'main villain' role from Galactus, IMO. Even the Surfer was a bigger villain than Galactus. And then at the end, when all is lost, Surfer is all 'Ya know what, it turns out I'm actually more powerful than the dude/gas cloud that created me. Go figure.'I liked the idea of movie Galactus, but not the delivery. He could have been great, but for me, he wasn't. Maybe I just like my villains to be able to talk, I dunno... And how exactly did Norrin 'bargain' with a giant cloud of gas to become his herald anyway? I haven't seen the movie in a while, but if I recall Surfer had essentially the same origin.Would've been better if Surfer didn't bargain with Galactus at all... That he obtained the board by other means (Since the board was all-powerful) and went around warning other planets about the approach of the world-eater so they didn't suffer the same fate as Zenn-La... Eh.Oh, and just something I remember seeing somewhere else on the Vine... It's kinda related... Zachary Quinto as Namor. Does anyone else LOVE that idea as much as me?"
No idea who Zachary Quinto is"
Spock"
that guy rules, he does look namoresque"
Yes indeed. He's also awesome as Sylar on Heroes, and will probably be one of the things that makes me decide to go and watch Star Trek, despite never being into Star Trek in my life. Zach is awesome.

inferiorego said:
"Crimson Orchid said:
"I look at all comicbook/book/video game based movies as if they were an alternate universe.  Can't be disappointed that way."
same here, but the deadpool fanboys don't have that capability"
I think that's what most of us do. But most fanboys see their favourite character as absolutely perfect... So I guess they just think that there's no point in 'adapting' a perfect character, just make him exactly the same.

Hell, isn't Spider-man pretty much the same in 616 and Ultimate? Only difference is the age.
  • 52 results
  • 1
  • 2