By GundamHeavyarms 10 Comments
Good morning everyone, this is my last week of college. I am graduating this year and I can take a sigh of relief. I admit I am a little anxious about going out into the working world, but then I think about the things I wont miss about college, and that gives me the motivation that I need.
1. Dorm life: I had to live in the dorms all five (yes five) years of school. I did work when I was in school, but I didn't make enough money to live off campus, the highest paying on campus job is being a bus driver, I'm not driving a bus. I wont miss having to make sure I get in the shower before the janitors clean the restrooms, I wont miss fighting to get a washing machine before some girl hoards 3 machines all to herself (guys do it too, but girls do it more often.)
2. Dorm food: Its not the freshman 15 anymore, its more like 30. I gained 30 lbs my freshmen year, I managed to lose that weight, but its really hard to maintain a healthy diet. Sometimes the fruit is under or over ripened, and the vegetables are undercooked and inedible or overcooked and drenched in pepper.
3. Buying books: As an art student. I haven't had to buy as many books as the engineers and nurses. I wish I would have gotten at least half the money back on books that I bought, In hindsight, I would have gotten on amazon sooner and bought textbooks from them instead of going to the bookstore.
4. Papers and tests: This should go without saying, I don't have a problem with learning its just that I'm tired of learning things and just regurgitating it out for a test, and I can't stand writing long papers and making sure that I site them correctly.
5. Finals: I hate finals, well not the tests themselves, I hate the random scheduling of it all. One year I had one and only one final at 7:30pm on a FRIDAY. I was so mad, one final and I couldn't go home until Saturday, the day everyone had to leave.
6. Drinking: The University of Iowa is considered a party school, people always come back to the buildings in the middle of the night and tear things up. There now is a 21-ordinance that keeps people under 21 out of the bars after 10 pm. I don't drink, I'm not into it myself. I just couldn't stand how everyone was getting all worked up over it. People went on and on talking about how the ordinance was infringing on their civil liberties. It was insane.
7. Freshman: Not all of them, just the ones that talk about the "college lifestyle" and how everything is so great, the ones that think they're Superman and they can do it all. I thought this way when I was a freshman, its a good thing I swallowed my pride, otherwise I wouldn't have made it.
Well those are my reasons, can anyone out there think of things I left off?