By Grim 14 Comments
Its happening. DC is Revamping with no regard of your feelings.
For many comics fans, it doesnt mean all that much. Worst case scenario you drop a couple comics and move on. Theres always Marvel right? But for a guy like me, who's pull list is 95% DC comics, this could potentially be a deal breaker. I am very proud of my knowledge of DC comics lore, and the idea of the last 19 years of interactions and relationships i've experienced simply being removed from cannon is very unnerving.
While we are still months away from seeing exactly whats going to go down, we are slowly getting glimpses of whats going to change and whats going to stay the same.
- The best news i've heard so far from the Revamp train is the creation of Red Hood and the Outlaws. While it doesnt seem to make a lick of sense for Arsenal and Starfire to run with the ex-Titan who has repeatedly tried to kill the man who both consider their best friend, thats current continuity. More than likely, even if i hate everything else done with the revamp, i have a feeling i'll be picking this one up.
- Cyborg's Rise into the limelight has been a longtime coming. He was the moral compass and voice of reason for years in multiple incarnations of Titans teams. Why it took DC so long to actually put him and some of the other titans on a JLA team bugged me even after he made it onto a JLA (lite) team last year. But Flash Point seems to be converting him into a Captain America of sorts, and its very comforting to see that it wont go away after DC changes. Also, MR. Terrific for much of the same reasons. He has been the man to go to for just about everything, but has apparently never been worth his own run.
- Aquaman's re-acknowledgment is pretty sweet. I'm a big Arthur Curry fan. I have always seen him more like King Leonidas than the campy-captain planet image that people cant seem to forget. The man has been portrayed as nothing less than an uber-badass since the mid 90's, but alas, no one cares and he eventually drops right back out of the spotlight.
- Multiple Lanterns. Its simply nice to know That DC isnt just going to make its coolest and Smartest idea of the last few years disappear. It seems like The multiple Spectrum's will be woven into the entire DCU Green Lantern history, instead of being something that just exploded in the last couple years.
- DC Universe Presents is the best idea that both companies always seem to struggle with. The title is obviously a chance to showcase lesser known characters. But so far every attempt to this starts innocently enough... and ends with team ups between the A and B list characters we all know. The fact that Issue one is showcasing Deadman means that at least DC is once again trying to make this title different... but lets just see how it pans out.
- Turning the JLA into a bunch of kids? Everyone on that page looks in their mid 20's. This isnt a CW drama (yet). These are the iconic heroes of the DCU. They have always looked like adults. We NEED them to look like adults. I'm really hoping thats just one artists rendition. All of them still need to be AT LEAST a decade older than they look in that picture.
- The Steps backward of Barbara Gordon, Roy Harper, and Dick Greyson. Bab's paralysis, while depressing, was a very key role in the evolution of the DCU. It showed that things can be serious. Things can be permanent. Things arent always going to be undone just because you want it to. Barbara's decision to rise above her ailment and become an important part of the DCU despite it was also very empowering to women and wheelchair bound peoples everywhere. Taking Bab's out of that chair is pretty much saying "yeah but seriously, how good can she be in a wheelchair?" And Roy getting his arm back is the same thing. His arm getting taken was supposed to be a sort of penance for all the bad he had done in his life. But that barely even lasted. Why even do it if you dont think its worth sticking around DC? And Dick finally made the jump to Batman, and it was working... and now your taking that away? AND Redding up his costume? Boooo.
- Hawkman's new look. I dont like it. I love the idea of him and Aquaman getting their own titles, but part of his charm was that he was so bad ass that all he needed was a weapon and some wings. But the extra armor and the extended arsenal... im praying thats just for the photo.
- Batwing. I always love it when a new black character gets a chance. A little recognition. But why exactly is Batwing getting this treatment? When Static has already shown he can bring a crowd. And Black Lightning has got to be the most interesting character no one ever pays attention too. Assuming he still has daughters after the revamp, the Peirce Family would have made a much more interesting comic.
- Birds of Prey. ....These are not them. Judging from the cover revealed to us, half of them will be completely o ut of character after the reboot. Ivy running witha crew of good girls? And that better not be Lady Blackhawk with the tattoos....
- And last but definitely not least, the possible pairing of Superman and Wonder Woman. Besides the fact that Clark and Lois are the last proof in comics that relationships work... why does he need to be with WW exactly? Aquman was being played up as her possible love interest for years, right up until a few years ago when WW and Batman suddenly became a possibility. BOTH of those would be better than Superman. I truly hate it. I hope its a horrible rumor.
As i have said before, i'm still waiting this one out. This revamp is either genius or incredibly stupid on DC's part. I'm guessing we will be hearing more about my favorite heroes (Tim Drake, Conner Kent... pretty much every member of Young Justice and the newest Teen Titans group) in the days and weeks to come, so i'll hold my judgement on them until then. But it seems like DC is actively trying to discredit themselves. All of these events that made DC comics seem more like true and deep literature and less like light hearted kids toons are being swept away in hopes that more of the Smallville crowd will pick up comics. A revamp of this magnitude is bound to be a slap in the face to a good large chunk of life long collectors. I know everyone always asks for change... but isnt this a bit of a leap?
Well... i hope the gamble pays off. Here are the picks i didnt show above .
(Check Out Part 2 of my revamp pre-review. And thank you for reading. )