Posters for the nursery, for both boy and girl

Share a hypothetical with me: you have successfully conceived, your future spawn seems healthy and is growing by the day, and you have room for three posters in what will become the nursery—say because the rest of the room is filled with your Star Wars crap or something. Now, you don't know the sex yet (that's not till week 20), but you find you can't help planning things a little early for each circumstance in the back of your mind. So I ask you, which three comic book characters do you choose to hold up as good examples for your pending brood?

My choices for a boy:

My choices for a girl:

Of the above images, some I care for more than others. The Spidey and Amadeus images I pretty much picked at random. The Cass Cain one I picked simply because I wanted one that showed her face at least partially, but there have been so many beautiful Cassandra Cain Batgirl covers by James Jean that it'd be hard to choose just one. The Batman, Captain Marvel, and Question images are all pieces of art that I'm a big fan of.

Also, and if you're curious, the list of my runner-up selections are in the spoiler box.

So that's my plan, what's yours? Share your own nursery poster characters in a reply, and if you have specific images, even better! And of course there's no need to match the sex of the child to the sexes of the selections, I just wanted to.

PS: For me, this is not actually hypothetical. :)

PSS: The new Captain Marvel image would be especially meaningful since, well, this has become a meaningful year, which is why it would win out over Wonder Woman or Power Girl who I think of as similar archetypes.

7 Comments
7 Comments
Edited by Jorgevy

girl: probably Carol as Captain Marvel like you did, Wonder Woman for sure and maybe SHe hulk? donno...

for a boy, NO Batman. too dark. Only later in life. For now, Spider-man, Superman and maybe IronMan/Flash/Tim Drake

EDIT: After seeing the runner up list, Jubilee would be nice (pre vamp obviously)

Edited by Blood1991

I'd probably go with team posters for the X-Men, Avengers and JLA "this way they can choose as they get older or if they aren't into comics I can keep them", but just if I have to choose three solo images than for a girl; Wonder Woman, Storm, and probably Captain America. Boy Captain America, Wonder Woman and Spiderman. I want them to see heroes as all genders and not just boys have to like boy heroes and girls have to like girl heroes. Also I don't want to force one company over the other on them just because I prefer Marvel. So a little bit of everything.

Oh and congrats!

Posted by fodigg

@Jorgevy said:

NO Batman. too dark

I couldn't find a good image from Batman the Animated Series, but I would consider doing something from that to avoid being too dark for a nursery. Animated Batman still makes time to watch Christmas movies with Robin during their time off.

Edited by Jorgevy

@fodigg said:

@Jorgevy said:

NO Batman. too dark

I couldn't find a good image from Batman the Animated Series, but I would consider doing something from that to avoid being too dark for a nursery. Animated Batman still makes time to watch Christmas movies with Robin during their time off.

if it's TAS Batman it's A-OK :D

PS: maybe with a colourful pic and robin at it's side

Posted by fodigg

@Blood1991 said:

I'd probably go with team posters for the X-Men, Avengers and JLA "this way they can choose as they get older or if they aren't into comics I can keep them", but just if I have to choose three solo images than for a girl; Wonder Woman, Storm, and probably Captain America. Boy Captain America, Wonder Woman and Spiderman. I want them to see heroes as all genders and not just boys have to like boy heroes and girls have to like girl heroes. Also I don't want to force one company over the other on them just because I prefer Marvel. So a little bit of everything.

Yeah, as I said in the post, there's no particular reason you need to match genders to the kid. Although for a girl I'd want them to know there were many female role models to choose from—I wouldn't be concerned that they'd have a hard time finding male characters. If I were going to mix, I'd probably do something like:

  • Peter Parker
  • Cassandra Cain
  • Carol Danvers

And yeah, teams or team-ups were definitely something I considered. If I were doing that, I'd probably go with:

  • Bat-Family
  • Original X-Men
  • New Avengers

That would hit most of the characters I care about.

Oh and congrats!

Thanks!

@Jorgevy said:

if it's TAS Batman it's A-OK :D

PS: maybe with a colourful pic and robin at it's side

Yeah, that would work. Or possibly the Batman & Robin from DC: New Frontier. Darwyn Cooke art is always welcome and it looks pretty up-beat.

Posted by fodigg

We now know it's a boy. I'm now thinking that I know I want at least:

  • Spider-Man
  • Captain Marvel (Danvers)

Thing is, I can get these characters in one print.

So I'll have to think on if I like this shot enough.

Posted by htb106

I'd go for the iconic characters if I was choosing them.e.g. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman.

I think it'd be ok to get posters for most heroes if they were animated versions, such as Brave and the bold Batman or Ultimate Spiderman.