Why Spiderman is the best loved super-hero

He isn't the strongest, the fastest, the wisest, best looking, most heavily muscled or all powerful character, but I think Stan Lee's genius was in any many ways best shown when he created Spiderman. You see I haven't yet found anyone who dislikes Spidey. He may not be in every one's top ten but I sense an enormous amount of good-will for the web-slinger. Why is that? Here are some reasons why..

1. As Pete Parker, he is the young hard up struggling man so many of us identify with.

2. He has cool powers but he isn't invincible. Punch him and he bleeds, shoot him and he goes down, his victories are hard fought through guile and effort. However, he is stronger than any normal person, faster and has those amazing webs! Every skinny teenager would love to be Spidey, kicking ten bells out of big guys!

3. He is New York's own and he isn't afraid of accepting a little help.. I love Spiderman 1 & 2, where the normal people group together to try and protect and help Spidey. Similar thing happened in the last film with the crane drivers. Other heroes, such as Superman don't have that connection because they are too powerful to need the assistance of normal everyday folk.

4. Unlike Batman he isn't permanently miserable, doesn't have a chip on his shoulder and more often than not has an upbeat outlook.

5. He is weak enough to be put in a good story with a non super powered character, but has sufficient powers and skills to give a super-powered character a run for their money.

6. Some will argue, but none of his films have yet been duffers. They were all massively successful. Sure, Spiderman 3 went a bit heavy and serious at times, but it was the first Super hero film to really delve deep into the psyche and insecurity of what it means to be a powerful hero and how this impacts those you care about.

7. His parents weren't gunned down and he did have the benefit of a loving aunt and uncle bringing him up. He is generally a well balanced individual, but he has seen tragedy with the death of his Uncle Ben.

8. You could put him with any other super hero group such as X Men, Avengers etc and he would fit in nicely and wouldn't over shadow them. The same cant always be said of the all powerful characters such as Hulk or Superman.

9. He was Marvel's first big hero, created to be a more human and down to earth equivalent of the all powerful DC heroes. Its worked!

10. Unlike some super-heroes, the actor isn't massively important in a spiderman film. Sure you need a good actor, but I don't remember many protests when Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield were cast as Spidey!

I'm not saying Spiderman is the most popular hero, just that in many ways he is the most loved. Both Batman and Superman have those who really don't like them, but I have yet to find anyone who says "I really don't like Spiderman".

40 Comments
40 Comments
Edited by M3th

Good$#!% M8! I'm sure all tHe Web-A-Holics agree.

Thanks for Reading

-Soulo-

Posted by AllStarSuperman

I'm sorry but Stan Lee ripped him off. There was a spider woman in like the 40s. Oh well. Spidermans still cool. But I like ultimate spiderman more.

Posted by Strider92

Another few reasons I would throw in:

  • Spider-man is not the victim of needless hate. For example Batman and Superman both have the unfortunate disadvantage of having......how do I put this? VERY enthusiastic fans. I've seen comments like "I dislike Batman/Suprman because everyone says he's unbeatable" from people who have never read a Supes or Batman comic but are put off due to how they are portayed by fans.
  • Spider-man is not in direct competition with anyone. Batman and Superman are the top 2. So he's not a victim of comapratives ie: Fans arguing "Batman is better than Superman!!!" etc... this generates negative feelings on both sides. Thus increasing the animosity towards either character.
  • Spider-man is not a victim of the "hipster" trend of hating on the most well known characters. Some people just don't want to like the top characters because its "hip" to hate on the most popular characters. Superman and Batman both having the 1st and 2end spot are prime targets for this fad. Spider-man isn't because he's in 3rd and who wants to hate on number 3? So while Superman and Batman take the brunt of hipster or popularity hate Spider-man is happily cruising away in 3rd receiving all the love and the only hate he's getting is from people who legitamitely dislike him and no baseless needless hate.

So yeah I agree with Spider-man being one of the most loved super-heroes.

Posted by LaserLambert

every time I see someone mention Stan Lee on a character without the associated artist (in this case Ditko) a part of me dies, and when the word genius is in the same sentence as his name? a part of me wants to kill.

anyway, I've long grown tired of Spider-man's constant cycle, I loved the character at one time, but now I never need to see anything more featuring him ever again.

Edited by Bezza

@laserlambert said:

every time I see someone mention Stan Lee on a character without the associated artist (in this case Ditko) a part of me dies, and when the word genius is in the same sentence as his name? a part of me wants to kill.

anyway, I've long grown tired of Spider-man's constant cycle, I loved the character at one time, but now I never need to see anything more featuring him ever again.

Ok, Steve Ditko, great guy, co-creator and artist-happy?!. But you've kind missed the point, Stan Lee is either the sole creator or co-creator of so many great Marvel characters and he is still going at 91. He's a positive guy who bubbles with energy and will be remembered for all time. Does he deserve the word genius? Yes certainly, he's left a huge mark on the world and for the better. How did you leave your mark today other than pour unnecessary negativity on a positive article about a very popular character?!

Posted by Bezza

@strider92:

I agree with what you say but its a bit of a negative way of looking at things! I prefer to think that Spiderman is loved because he is a hero who people identify with and he comics tend to be lighter than the sometimes unsufferably dark offerings you get from Batman and others, or the needless brutality of Deadpool... I also think he is cleverly pitched as being a half way house between non super-powered characters like Batman and the mega power houses such as Superman who put people off by being too invincible...basically its hard to dislike him really, unless, unlike Laserlambert you just have a pathological dislike of the character.!

Edited by Beerminator1

I don't like Spider-Man. He has lame powers and... Well let's take a look at all the great villains he has:

-Venom

That's it! Seriously, he's got some pretty good villains like Green Goblin, Kraven and Shocker (for example), but only ONE that is great!

Posted by MaccyD

He's the only major superhero to truly get killed by his villain, he's a superhero that changes realistically.

Posted by The_Titan_Lord

Nice.

Posted by Billy Batson

I really hate Spider-Man >:c

@bezza said:

@laserlambert said:

every time I see someone mention Stan Lee on a character without the associated artist (in this case Ditko) a part of me dies, and when the word genius is in the same sentence as his name? a part of me wants to kill.

anyway, I've long grown tired of Spider-man's constant cycle, I loved the character at one time, but now I never need to see anything more featuring him ever again.

Ok, Steve Ditko, great guy, co-creator and artist-happy?!. But you've kind missed the point, Stan Lee is either the sole creator or co-creator of so many great Marvel characters and he is still going at 91. He's a positive guy who bubbles with energy and will be remembered for all time. Does he deserve the word genius? Yes certainly, he's left a huge mark on the world and for the better. How did you leave your mark today other than pour unnecessary negativity on a positive article about a very popular character?!

What characters did Stan create on his own? The artists (Ditko and Kirby) that he collaborated with did the most of creating.

BB

Posted by BlackWind

Am I right in saying the recent f***ups with him have been less Spider Man's fault and more Marvel editorial?

Posted by Juiceboks

I don't like Spider-Man. He has lame powers and... Well let's take a look at all the great villains he has:

-Venom

That's it! Seriously, he's got some pretty good villains like Green Goblin, Kraven and Shocker (for example), but only ONE that is great!

Not only is "great" subjective and differs among the beholder(as most things do), but I find myself disagreeing with your list of "great" villains. Morbius is a character I've always enjoyed in his runs with both Peter and the Midnight Sons. Both Ben and Kaine have also evolved into pretty deep characters despite their "unoriginal" origin. I would also argue that Norman IS a great villain as he has now evolved to become much more than a Spider Man villain both literally and figuratively. Basically..everyone I just listed has gone through a similar character evolution over the years. From a typical Spider Man villain to either a complex hero or a struggling anti hero much like Eddie Brock. To discredit all of them is a great injustice to their characters and IMO pretty close minded.

Online
Posted by Extremis

Not sure what is meant by "best loved" superhero, but if you're talking about popularity, and actually most loved, I'd contend Batman and Superman are the ones you mean.

But yes, Spiderman is the most popular Marvel hero. But Iron Man has been shown to make more money so the tides could e changing.

Posted by angelalfonso

@beerminator1:

If you don’t like spiderman, what are you doing here?

And venom spderman greatest villain? Are you crazy?

Eddie is cool and all but he is far from being great

Posted by Strider92

@bezza: I didn't disagree with your OP in fact I agree with it. I was just throwing in other reasons for him being well loved.

Posted by JasonHawke

The "best loved" superhero is pushing it as that's pretty debatable.

Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21

I read the op's post and liked it.

Then I read the comments and people just can't help themselves from trying to start a s*** storm.

Online
Edited by nickzambuto

every time I see someone mention Stan Lee on a character without the associated artist (in this case Ditko) a part of me dies, and when the word genius is in the same sentence as his name? a part of me wants to kill.

anyway, I've long grown tired of Spider-man's constant cycle, I loved the character at one time, but now I never need to see anything more featuring him ever again.

Meh. Creating a character's look isn't really as important as creating everything else about them.

Posted by nickzambuto

I don't like Spider-Man. He has lame powers and... Well let's take a look at all the great villains he has:

-Venom

That's it! Seriously, he's got some pretty good villains like Green Goblin, Kraven and Shocker (for example), but only ONE that is great!

Have you ever... read a Spider-Man book?

Edited by LaserLambert

@nickzambuto said:

@laserlambert said:

every time I see someone mention Stan Lee on a character without the associated artist (in this case Ditko) a part of me dies, and when the word genius is in the same sentence as his name? a part of me wants to kill.

anyway, I've long grown tired of Spider-man's constant cycle, I loved the character at one time, but now I never need to see anything more featuring him ever again.

Meh. Creating a character's look isn't really as important as creating everything else about them.

Oh cuz that's all they did huh? Not how it worked in those days, Stan Lee has gone on record that for a lot of his characters he would just tell an artist what characters/villain to include and have them draw the entire story, then he would just go in and add word balloons after the fact, Steve Ditko was finally credited as "plotter" near the end of his run on Spider-man, and at some point, Lee was pushed to remove any allocation of writer on Fantastic Four, and just say "produced by Lee and Kirby"

Fact of the matter is after Ditko and Kirby left Marvel they both started getting writing credits on their own books, and Stan Lee stopped "writing".

Posted by gor724

@bezza said:

He isn't the strongest, the fastest, the wisest, best looking, most heavily muscled or all powerful character, but I think Stan Lee's genius was in any many ways best shown when he created Spiderman. You see I haven't yet found anyone who dislikes Spidey. He may not be in every one's top ten but I sense an enormous amount of good-will for the web-slinger. Why is that? Here are some reasons why..

1. As Pete Parker, he is the young hard up struggling man so many of us identify with.

2. He has cool powers but he isn't invincible. Punch him and he bleeds, shoot him and he goes down, his victories are hard fought through guile and effort. However, he is stronger than any normal person, faster and has those amazing webs! Every skinny teenager would love to be Spidey, kicking ten bells out of big guys!

3. He is New York's own and he isn't afraid of accepting a little help.. I love Spiderman 1 & 2, where the normal people group together to try and protect and help Spidey. Similar thing happened in the last film with the crane drivers. Other heroes, such as Superman don't have that connection because they are too powerful to need the assistance of normal everyday folk.

4. Unlike Batman he isn't permanently miserable, doesn't have a chip on his shoulder and more often than not has an upbeat outlook.

5. He is weak enough to be put in a good story with a non super powered character, but has sufficient powers and skills to give a super-powered character a run for their money.

6. Some will argue, but none of his films have yet been duffers. They were all massively successful. Sure, Spiderman 3 went a bit heavy and serious at times, but it was the first Super hero film to really delve deep into the psyche and insecurity of what it means to be a powerful hero and how this impacts those you care about.

7. His parents weren't gunned down and he did have the benefit of a loving aunt and uncle bringing him up. He is generally a well balanced individual, but he has seen tragedy with the death of his Uncle Ben.

8. You could put him with any other super hero group such as X Men, Avengers etc and he would fit in nicely and wouldn't over shadow them. The same cant always be said of the all powerful characters such as Hulk or Superman.

9. He was Marvel's first big hero, created to be a more human and down to earth equivalent of the all powerful DC heroes. Its worked!

10. Unlike some super-heroes, the actor isn't massively important in a spiderman film. Sure you need a good actor, but I don't remember many protests when Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield were cast as Spidey!

I'm not saying Spiderman is the most popular hero, just that in many ways he is the most loved. Both Batman and Superman have those who really don't like them, but I have yet to find anyone who says "I really don't like Spiderman".

I agree with most things here, and I agree with your main point. I have to disagree with this. I think he works better without a team, solo. He can team up here and there, but I hate him as an Avenger.

Posted by GraniteSoldier

@beerminator1 said:

I don't like Spider-Man. He has lame powers and... Well let's take a look at all the great villains he has:

-Venom

That's it! Seriously, he's got some pretty good villains like Green Goblin, Kraven and Shocker (for example), but only ONE that is great!

Have you ever... read a Spider-Man book?

I'm guessing not if Green Goblin, and by extension Norman Osborne is only "pretty good". I loved Eddie Venom as a villain, and he may even be my personal favorite of Spidey's villains, but he is far from Spidey's greatest.

Online
Posted by Spideysense44

Spiderman is the most relatable supehero thats why

Posted by Bezza

I read the op's post and liked it.

Then I read the comments and people just can't help themselves from trying to start a s*** storm.

Thanks for your comments and I agree with your remarks. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but some people on Comic Vine could start an argument in an empty room! What is it with people these days? I was just trying to articulate my thoughts on why Spiderman is special, not start a debate on who got the credit for the stories and other such stuff that frankly doesn't bother me.....I just like the character, if people don't, then fine, but why bother posting on a blog that's about appreciating Spiderman -duh?!!

Edited by HumanRocket

@beerminator1: if you think venom is Spider-Man's greatest villian than I question what you call "great villains" venom is maybe one of the more recognizable villains in Spider-Man's rouge gallery but there are other great villains like the jackle who haunted peters life with the clone saga and even recently with spider island

Posted by InnerVenom123

I'm sorry but Stan Lee ripped him off. There was a spider woman in like the 40s. Oh well. Spidermans still cool. But I like ultimate spiderman more.

Yeah, and Batman's a Zorro ripoff. No one cares.

Posted by AllStarSuperman

@innervenom123: yeah but everyone hold Stan The Man Lee so high up its just sad, idk if he came up with spiderman and thought it was original and had know clue about Spiderwoman, or if he ripped of an idea and took credit for it. I hope the former.

Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21

@bezza said:

@norrinboltagonprime21 said:

I read the op's post and liked it.

Then I read the comments and people just can't help themselves from trying to start a s*** storm.

Thanks for your comments and I agree with your remarks. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but some people on Comic Vine could start an argument in an empty room! What is it with people these days? I was just trying to articulate my thoughts on why Spiderman is special, not start a debate on who got the credit for the stories and other such stuff that frankly doesn't bother me.....I just like the character, if people don't, then fine, but why bother posting on a blog that's about appreciating Spiderman -duh?!!

Well, thats the internet for you.

Online
Posted by InnerVenom123

I don't like Spider-Man. He has lame powers and... Well let's take a look at all the great villains he has:

-Venom

That's it! Seriously, he's got some pretty good villains like Green Goblin, Kraven and Shocker (for example), but only ONE that is great!

Look, I obviously like Venom a little more than the next guy, but this post is bullsh*t.

All those villains you discounted are great.

Edited by Lvenger

@bezza said:

@norrinboltagonprime21 said:

I read the op's post and liked it.

Then I read the comments and people just can't help themselves from trying to start a s*** storm.

Thanks for your comments and I agree with your remarks. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but some people on Comic Vine could start an argument in an empty room! What is it with people these days? I was just trying to articulate my thoughts on why Spiderman is special, not start a debate on who got the credit for the stories and other such stuff that frankly doesn't bother me.....I just like the character, if people don't, then fine, but why bother posting on a blog that's about appreciating Spiderman -duh?!!

Meh this is the Internet we're talking about. We can argue about thin air if we have enough of a push :P Nice post though, I do agree with a lot of the reasons but for me, at least in the public eye, Superman and Batman still take a bit of the cake over Spider-Man.

Posted by Deranged Midget

@innervenom123: yeah but everyone hold Stan The Man Lee so high up its just sad, idk if he came up with spiderman and thought it was original and had know clue about Spiderwoman, or if he ripped of an idea and took credit for it. I hope the former.

What's wrong with using inspiration for modernizing or creating something new? If it were such a crime, then 99% of all forms of media/art would be chastised for being "rip-offs"

Take for example Picasso or Kandinsky. Both were traditional artists who became bored of their medium and took inspiration from other forms of art, Picasso with African art to be exact, and blended it with their own and created something new.

Or how about Frank Lloyd Wright with architecture? He embraced new advancements in materials but was inspired by Asian architecture and blended the two in his work to create something unique.

I'm pretty sure Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster didn't come up with the idea of an idealistic "superhero". They took inspiration from lore and perhaps mythical tales and made it their own. In this day and age, there isn't much you'll find that is entirely original.

Moderator
Edited by AllStarSuperman

@deranged_midget: Superman is a reference to gladiator and John carter in a way, Spiderwoman was a teenage girl with webshooters. and other similaritys. but i see your point, its near impossible to me original

Posted by Deranged Midget

@deranged_midget: Superman is a reference to gladiator and John carter in a way, Spiderwoman was a teenage girl with webshooters. and other similaritys. but i see your point, its near impossible to me original

But if you remember the original incarnation of Superman, he was basically just a super-"human" with alien origins. That's basically completely identical to John Carter, who was also technically on alien on Mars with greater physical capabilities.

Moderator
Posted by Jack Donaghy

@bezza said:

He isn't the strongest, the fastest, the wisest, best looking, most heavily muscled or all powerful character, but I think Stan Lee's genius was in any many ways best shown when he created Spiderman. You see I haven't yet found anyone who dislikes Spidey. He may not be in every one's top ten but I sense an enormous amount of good-will for the web-slinger. Why is that? Here are some reasons why..

1. As Pete Parker, he is the young hard up struggling man so many of us identify with.

2. He has cool powers but he isn't invincible. Punch him and he bleeds, shoot him and he goes down, his victories are hard fought through guile and effort. However, he is stronger than any normal person, faster and has those amazing webs! Every skinny teenager would love to be Spidey, kicking ten bells out of big guys!

3. He is New York's own and he isn't afraid of accepting a little help.. I love Spiderman 1 & 2, where the normal people group together to try and protect and help Spidey. Similar thing happened in the last film with the crane drivers. Other heroes, such as Superman don't have that connection because they are too powerful to need the assistance of normal everyday folk.

4. Unlike Batman he isn't permanently miserable, doesn't have a chip on his shoulder and more often than not has an upbeat outlook.

5. He is weak enough to be put in a good story with a non super powered character, but has sufficient powers and skills to give a super-powered character a run for their money.

6. Some will argue, but none of his films have yet been duffers. They were all massively successful. Sure, Spiderman 3 went a bit heavy and serious at times, but it was the first Super hero film to really delve deep into the psyche and insecurity of what it means to be a powerful hero and how this impacts those you care about.

7. His parents weren't gunned down and he did have the benefit of a loving aunt and uncle bringing him up. He is generally a well balanced individual, but he has seen tragedy with the death of his Uncle Ben.

8. You could put him with any other super hero group such as X Men, Avengers etc and he would fit in nicely and wouldn't over shadow them. The same cant always be said of the all powerful characters such as Hulk or Superman.

9. He was Marvel's first big hero, created to be a more human and down to earth equivalent of the all powerful DC heroes. Its worked!

10. Unlike some super-heroes, the actor isn't massively important in a spiderman film. Sure you need a good actor, but I don't remember many protests when Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield were cast as Spidey!

I'm not saying Spiderman is the most popular hero, just that in many ways he is the most loved. Both Batman and Superman have those who really don't like them, but I have yet to find anyone who says "I really don't like Spiderman".

I agree with everything you said except number 4, Batman is not constantly, miserable. Just because someone isn't constantly smiling or joking around doesn't mean they're some suicidal sad sack I wish more people would understand that. Although you make good points I wouldn't necessarily say Spider-Man is the most loved. He gets the least amount of hate but that doesn't mean everyone loves him. It's like saying the Cleveland Indians are more loved than the New York Yankees just because the Indians get less hate.

You can definitely make an argument that Spider-Man is the most loved superhero but Superman and Batman getting more hate doesn't mean less people like them. If anything it shows they're more polarizing and ingrained in pop culture thus getting more hipster haters who have to go against the establishment.

Edited by wanonalake

lol Spiderman would be curbstomped by

Thor

Hulk

Silver Surfer

Thing

Human Torch

Superman

Ant Man

Giant Man

Iron Man

Juggernaut

Flash

Martian Manhunter

Wonder Woman

Wasp

Captain Marvel

Invisible Woman

Green Lantern

Dr. Manhattan

Jean Grey

Dr. Strange

Dr. Doom

Nova

I dunno about you, but judging by this list of people that would paint the walls in spidys blood, wear his skin as a coat, and laugh gleefully as they do it, spidy sucks.

Posted by Jack Donaghy

lol Spiderman would be curbstomped by

Thor

Hulk

Silver Surfer

Thing

Human Torch

Superman

Ant Man

Giant Man

Iron Man

Juggernaut

Flash

Martian Manhunter

Wonder Woman

Wasp

Captain Marvel

Invisible Woman

Green Lantern

Dr. Manhattan

Jean Grey

Dr. Strange

Dr. Doom

Nova

I dunno about you, but judging by this list of people that would paint the walls in spidys blood, wear his skin as a coat, and laugh gleefully as they do it, spidy sucks.

lol more than half those characters aren't even popular, and what does their being stronger than him have to do with popularity? Galactus can curbstomp all of the characters you listed at the same time, using your logic that means they suck.

Posted by wanonalake

@jack_donaghy: AH DAMNIT I DIDNT EVEN POST THAT! I think my friend did that on my computer

Edited by Jimishim12

IMO, Spidey should be the end all be all ultimate marvel hero, he is a rite of passage for any basics of the Marvel U, in fact it's a requisite to Read Spidey before any marvel comic like FF or Avengers or even X-men, he should be hardwired into any fan who is a marvel fan in the first place not because he's for beginners. It sucks this position is held by Deadpool and X-men fans though, Spider-Man is Marvel's greatest creation ever and one of the worlds greatest icons in fiction.

Posted by Bezza

@jimishim12:

er, yeah I agree, Spiderman in many ways IS Marvel Comics. My personal favourite Marvel character is Hulk and to most people, traditionally if you said "Marvel" people would think Spidey first and then Hulk...

...new film out shortly as well, should keep up the love for Spiderman....

Edited by PunyParker

I'm sorry but Stan Lee ripped him off. There was a spider woman in like the 40s. Oh well. Spidermans still cool. But I like ultimate spiderman more.

You are not differenciating the characters ya know....it's the same core.

@bezza said:

Spider-Man

I'm proud of you,young man.