Now I am the Master: Cyclops vs. Professor X (SPOILER ALERT!)

The "fatality" in Avengers vs. X-Men is none other than the Good Shepard himself, Professor Charles Xavier. His death comes at the hands of his most prized student and adoptive son, Cyclops, who has been growing increasingly corrupt thanks to the dark influence of the Phoenix Force.

Just picture Patrick Stewart dying and I'm sure you'll be sad. It will be quite a feat if Cyclops comes out of this redeemed in any way.

The death of the founder, at the hands of his first student.

Source

Props to my buddy for calling this a few months ago.

50 Comments
66 Comments
  • 66 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by Brazen_Intellect

I thought Marvel mistreated Iron Man (they do seem hellbent to make people hate some of their most popular characters) but this one really takes the cake. The recent years of making Cyclops act obnoxious and make terrible decisions is nothing compared to this. I'm really not sure you can redeem him at this point and have it make any sense.

The "Architects" sure know how to write smart characters as if they were borderline retarded, a trend that has gone on way too long and has driven me to cut my pull list by about 75% over the past 5 years. I'm not even that much of a Scotty fan and I'm pretty much disgusted with what they have done to him since 2005. I'm sure the more vocal fans of him are going to lose their mind, and I really can't blame them.

Posted by Blood1991

@ApatheticAvenger said:

The "fatality" in Avengers vs. X-Men is none other than the Good Shepard himself, Professor Charles Xavier. His death comes at the hands of his most prized student and adoptive son, Cyclops, who has been growing increasingly corrupt thanks to the dark influence of the Phoenix Force.

Just picture Patrick Stewart dying and I'm sure you'll be sad. It will be quite a feat if Cyclops comes out of this redeemed in any way.

The death of the founder, at the hands of his first student.

Source

Props to my buddy for calling this a few months ago.

Me and him were just discussing this yesterday lol. Yeah the scene looks intense, can't wait to read it tomorrow.

Posted by God_Spawn

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@Brazen_Intellect: I am a big Cyclops fan, and I'm at least going to wait and see how the rest of the event and the aftermath turn out before I completely lose my cool.

Agreed. You, me and Fade are arguably the biggest Cyclops fans on the site and quite frankly, since I called it, this hasn't really impacted me all that much considering the circumstances around it.

Moderator
Posted by Billy Batson

There can only be one.
BB

Posted by Brazen_Intellect

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@Brazen_Intellect: I am a big Cyclops fan, and I'm at least going to wait and see how the rest of the event and the aftermath turn out before I completely lose my cool.

Understandable, it's always best to have all the information before making a decision, but based on recent X-events I have little faith in them anymore. No matter the circumstances that picture speaks a million words.

Posted by God_Spawn

@Billy Batson said:

There can only be one.
BB

I feel like this gif can go with this quote.

Moderator
Posted by joshmightbe

My question, Since legion has been on good terms with Prof. X lately what's going to happen when the mentally unstable near god like reality warper finds out Cyke killed his dad?

Posted by joshmightbe

@ApatheticAvenger: Or when Cyke loses the Phoenix force, Legion reverts back to his Psychotic state and becomes fixated on destroying Scott's life and those of the people who still want to be around him after this

Posted by God_Spawn

@Brazen_Intellect: The supposed information around what is happening if you want it.

Emma reads Scott's mind that he was thinking of taking her power so she goes on a rant of destroying everything. Scott tells her to stop and asks what is wrong with her. She sort of panics and goes idk. So both are down in a fight later and Xavier is telling them to stop but is somewhat smug about it. Scott tells Emma to forgive him and absorbs her half then. IMO, he did it for the extra power but I think part of him forcibly doing that was also her slipping faster than both of them. Scott goes Dark and kills Xavier.
Moderator
Posted by God_Spawn

@ApatheticAvenger: At least he isn't naturally bat sh*t crazy.

Moderator
Posted by joshmightbe

@ApatheticAvenger: possibly

Posted by joshmightbe
Legion AKA Cyclops' newest mortal enemy (Gonna be embarrassing to to get killed by a guy that looks like Kid from Kid n Play)
Posted by JohnnyGat

I blame Namor

Posted by Rickbarry

Charles must have never seen The Godfather. Don't ever side with anyone outside for the family, Chuck. Now you sleep with the fishes...erm..scorpions? (Looks like a desert)

Posted by arnoldoaad

oh no! they killed Professor X

AGAIN

And Tom Brevoort said,"This is about as serious and lasting a death as you're apt to get in one of these."

my honest response

a serious death in marvel!

what a wacky concept

he will be back in a year

Posted by TheAcidSkull

@god_spawn: i'm not a cyclops fan but this was pretty much anticipated, i hated AvX, why couldn't they have a villain to fight, instead of fighting like idiots on things that could have been easily resolved , i never really like cyclops but Marvel is pretty much doing their best to destroy cyke. but then again what could have we expected from bendis and aaron

Posted by Deranged Midget

@god_spawn said:

@Billy Batson said:

There can only be one.
BB

I feel like this gif can go with this quote.

Epic.

Moderator
Posted by Lvenger

Here's an appropriate video to go with the title of this thread:

Posted by Lvenger

@ApatheticAvenger: But what's he doing on the cover of X-Men then? With Frost, Magneto and others by his side? Who'd stick with him after he killed Professor X, the Martin Luthor King of mutants?

Posted by danhimself

meh....it's not like Xavier has had any kind of role in the Marvel Universe for a while now....the only role his death plays is to sink Cyclops down even further

Posted by Brazen_Intellect

@god_spawn said:

@Brazen_Intellect: The supposed information around what is happening if you want it.

Emma reads Scott's mind that he was thinking of taking her power so she goes on a rant of destroying everything. Scott tells her to stop and asks what is wrong with her. She sort of panics and goes idk. So both are down in a fight later and Xavier is telling them to stop but is somewhat smug about it. Scott tells Emma to forgive him and absorbs her half then. IMO, he did it for the extra power but I think part of him forcibly doing that was also her slipping faster than both of them. Scott goes Dark and kills Xavier.

Thanks, but I'll wait and read it for myself before commenting further.

Posted by danhimself

just read it....it was pretty good

Posted by danhimself

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@danhimself said:

just read it....it was pretty good

picking it up later tonight, hopefully I feel the same way

I just want Cyclops to make it out of this looking like the character can be redeemed.

well we should already know that he's going to be able to redeem himself....but seriously...at this point it looks bad for him

Posted by DATNIGGA

@JohnnyGat: I blame Cap

Posted by JonSmith

Just out of curiosity, does anyone feel like this horrible miscarriage of character is going to result in a backlash of comparable size to the Hal Jordan fiasco, screaming for redemption for Scott and such?

Posted by JonSmith

@ApatheticAvenger: I bet it ends with him dying and being bound with the Spirit of Vengeance, becoming the new Ghost Rider.

Posted by JohnnyGat

@DATNIGGA said:

@JohnnyGat: I blame Cap

I also blame Beast

Posted by DATNIGGA

@JohnnyGat: why beast?

Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7

This event makes me sad.

Posted by JonSmith

@ApatheticAvenger:

NO. Never again will Nicholas Cage play Ghost Rider if I have anything to say about it!

Posted by kid Apollo

@god_spawn:

jus wondering if i could join you guys? cyclops fans seem few and far between around these parts. i love the guy, hate what theyve done to him almost as much i hate how everyone complains about the guy non-stop. if wolverine can kill northstar and thousands of others, if jean grey can eat a star, if the prof can turn into Onslaught, and they can all be forgiven, why not cyke?

Posted by JohnnyGat

@DATNIGGA said:

@JohnnyGat: why beast?

No reason I just loathe him.

Posted by joshmightbe

@DATNIGGA said:

@JohnnyGat: I blame Cap

I blame Cable for attempting to murder the Avengers instead explaining the situation leaving the Avengers feeling personally threatened by the already frightening power of an uncontrollable sun eating cosmic force.

Posted by joshmightbe

Let's all think about what caused the Avengers to be hostile in the first place, before they knew about the Phoenix coming, Cable shows up and starts trying to murder the Avengers, historically they don't tend to take that well so they were understandably pissed, then the guy who just tried to murder them goes to the X-men who greet him with open arms and then go about a plan to control a being of unimaginable power(Which very rarely works). Just consider how you'd react in a similar situation.

Posted by Gambit1024

@joshmightbe said:

Let's all think about what caused the Avengers to be hostile in the first place, before they knew about the Phoenix coming, Cable shows up and starts trying to murder the Avengers, historically they don't tend to take that well so they were understandably pissed, then the guy who just tried to murder them goes to the X-men who greet him with open arms and then go about a plan to control a being of unimaginable power(Which very rarely works). Just consider how you'd react in a similar situation.

Huh. I didn't even think about that. Where the hell did Cable go?

Posted by krspaceT

It shoud have been T'challa

Posted by joshmightbe

@Gambit1024 said:

@joshmightbe said:

Let's all think about what caused the Avengers to be hostile in the first place, before they knew about the Phoenix coming, Cable shows up and starts trying to murder the Avengers, historically they don't tend to take that well so they were understandably pissed, then the guy who just tried to murder them goes to the X-men who greet him with open arms and then go about a plan to control a being of unimaginable power(Which very rarely works). Just consider how you'd react in a similar situation.

Huh. I didn't even think about that. Where the hell did Cable go?

I don't know, in this arc he's kind of like this cousin of mine, he shows up starts a huge fight and then disappears before he actually has to deal with any of the fallout.

  • 66 results
  • 1
  • 2