Follow

Eobard Thawne

Character » Eobard Thawne appears in 395 issues.

Eobard Thawne was a brilliant scientist born in the 25th century, where Barry Allen's heroism as the Flash is the stuff of legend. Seeking to emulate his idol, Thawne traveled back in time to meet the Flash, but learned instead that his destiny was to become the Reverse-Flash, Allen's greatest nemesis. Rendered unstable by this knowledge, Thawne set out to erase Barry Allen from history and establish himself as the one true Flash.

Does Time Travel in comics naturally cause readers to be lost?

MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 0

Edited By MTHarman

After doing my recent video of Professor Zoom, I'm fully convinced that time travel is one of the concepts within comics that successfully puts readers at a complete lost.

Unlike the original time travel story of a guy going back in time or somewhere in the future, for some reason comics take the time travel concept to a whole new level when we see certain heroes or villains go through a career of time hopping everywhere and completely changing history. Probably best example of this would probably be Professor Zoom who totally screwed with time for his own benefit and to torment Barry Allen (high 5 for villainy).

Despite how I tried to explain this guys history, it's baffling as to how hard it is to follow Professor Zoom's chronology accurately and most of all explain his history to an audience. If you watched the video and found yourself lost on following Professor Zoom then I apologize, but even if you have managed to follow a time traveling hero or villains chronology, one would have to admit it can be an extremely difficult concept to follow through. As in trying to explain how a council of Kangs began, how Professor Zoom was still a physical threat three times when he was already dead, how time travel connected several villains into being one man, even how Professor Zoom managed alter history within both the past and the future without destroying himself are questions that would probably send most people at a lost, worst is trying to explain it to somebody else after figuring it out.

But the primary question I have with this blog,... is time travel an ultimate killer for comics because of how difficult it is follow the concept or is a concept that just got way out of hand?

MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#2  Edited By MTHarman

For some reason Kang was easy to follow, but with Professor Zoom it was probably the greatest mind bender that I have ever followed.

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Jotham

Yeah, I think time travel is definitely one thing that should be avoided. It's on a list of things I would never put in comics if I ever wrote them. It could be interesting if it was in a limited series or something, but in a shared universe it just gets too complicated too quickly.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Magian

One of the reasons I didn't like the new Action Comics. Time Travel should be avoided unless the writers can make it not look so complicated for reders.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.