Patrick Stewart May Return As Professor Xavier

Posted by G-Man (37640 posts) - - Show Bio

Patrick Stewart spoke over the weekend at Dragon-Con and of course, X-Men and Star Trek were brought up.  It seems he wasn't entirely crazy about playing Captain Jean-Luc Picard.  He wasn't completely familiar with Star Trek and was told the new show "wouldn't work."  The main problem was the fact that the original uniforms were incredibly uncomfortable.  According to CNN's Marquee Blog, Stewart feels that his time as Picard has passed due to the poor box office for Star Trek: Nemesis.

What about Professor Xavier?  We recently saw his CG-cameo in X-Men Origins: Wolverine so would he return to the role again?  Stewart said that he would like to "continue exploring the relationship between Xavier and McKellen's Magneto."  

I suppose it's a matter of what time period in Xavier's life that the role would call for.  It was a nice nod having him in the Wolverine movie (even if it didn't make complete sense in terms of the X-Men's timeline) but he did look a little odd in CG-form.  I'm not sure if there'd be a place for him in the Magneto 'Origins' movie.  It would make sense to have a young Xavier in the movie.  I'm not sure if having CG-Xavier return would really work.

What are your thoughts?  Has Stewart's time passed to play Xavier?  Could you see someone else in the role?  Would you want to see a CG version again?

#1 Edited by welshguy79 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

If Stewart is up for playing the role again, then it would be damn foolish to get someone else in. Can't really see any body else having the same sort of gravitas in the role of Prof X that Patrick Stewart brought to it. As for CGI stand in? Nah. No thanks. It would be like having a PG-13 Lobo movie and teaming the main man up with a teenage girl... oh wait... bugger

#2 Posted by NightFang (10196 posts) - - Show Bio

You can never get rid of Professor X.

#3 Posted by NightFang (10196 posts) - - Show Bio

You can never get rid of Professor X.

#4 Edited by MrCipher (276 posts) - - Show Bio

CG Xavier in the X-Men 3 movie was creepy and waxy. His "cameo" in Wolverine made no sense. The only way that he would work in a Magneto movie is if the two old men were reminiscing about the past and the movie was a flashback with much younger actors. I do not want to see more waxy, CG Xavier - and this a guy who loves his Star Trek: TNG. 

@G-Man: 
And what was he talking about the "new show"? Did he mean the new movie? I haven't heard about a new Star Trek show. I thought Scott Bakula, the producers, and the writers of Enterprise killed that.
#5 Posted by ryanwh (373 posts) - - Show Bio

That CG thing was wierd and unexpected. Don't do that, the tech isn't there yet he looked like an alien.

#6 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio

:O I love Patrick as Xavierr, he can't be replaced!!

I hope in future X-Men movies they explore his relationship with Amelia Vought. :)

#7 Posted by crazed_h3ro (1000 posts) - - Show Bio

Patrick Stewart was a good professor x...i'll be damned if they change him    
#8 Posted by HaloKing343 (1252 posts) - - Show Bio

I gotta be honest. I had no idea that he was CG in Wolverine. I thought that was actually him. Either I'm retarded, or that was some awsome effects!

#9 Posted by welshguy79 (30 posts) - - Show Bio
@HaloKing343 said:
"I gotta be honest. I had no idea that he was CG in Wolverine. I thought that was actually him. Either I'm retarded, or that was some awsome effects! "

Same here. I really thought it was Patrick Stewart
#10 Posted by Blackandredflag (68 posts) - - Show Bio
@HaloKing343: same here
#11 Posted by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio

the guy who played his clone in Star Trek Nemesis should play a young Xavier. :P  

I can't believe he was so causually killed off in X3. Xavier and Cyclops should come back in some astonishing plot twist.  
Then it will truely be an X-Men movie.  

#12 Edited by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio

I cannot really picture an X-film without Xavier, and I cannot picture Xavier not being Stewart. I mean, was there really even anyone else considered for the role? That man was born to play Professor X and despite sometimes not being the best films, he's always a fantastic Prof. X.
#13 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

they could really get away with making an Xavier movie in itself with P.S. 
and i would be for it, and believe it would work just as well.

#14 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

they could really get away with making an Xavier movie in itself with P.S. 
and i would be for it, and believe it would work just as well.

#15 Posted by shankarma (47 posts) - - Show Bio

well its up to him but i would love to see him the movie again
#16 Posted by War Killer (20374 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm up for more X-movies, but I really wouldn't mind reboot (not that the movies were bad, I liked all of the other movies, it's just with all of the characters dying, like Cyclops, and having Prof. X in another body at the end of X-Men 3 really messed up any of the future movies), the thing I wouldn't want changed if they did a reboot is the casting, I liked all of the casting in the movies, Wolverine (he was cast perfectly), Cyclops, Storm, Jean, Kitty, Iceman, Rogue, all of these were great casting (in my mind at lest).    

#17 Posted by Decept-O (7284 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Quisling said:
"the guy who played his clone in Star Trek Nemesis should play a young Xavier. :P   I can't believe he was so causually killed off in X3. Xavier and Cyclops should come back in some astonishing plot twist.  Then it will truely be an X-Men movie.   "

Good call on everything you just said.
#18 Posted by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not nearly as hard on X3 as some, but they really went down a strange road. Killing Professor X. is almost insulting, but then having Jean Grey do it…what a kick to the nuts. I understand that Cyclops isn't all that popular these days, but giving him five minutes screen time and then having his possessed wife kill him? Ouch! I half expected him to be left out of the headstone lineup at the end. I wasn’t too thrilled by the numerous generic villains they threw into the film. Why’d they even bother to call that one Psylocke? You’ve got a super-speed oriented character, why wasn’t it just Quicksilver? Sigh…     

Such a shame Singer didn't come back.

#19 Posted by Agent Buttons (13479 posts) - - Show Bio
@NightFang said:
"You can never get rid of Professor X. "
#20 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3561 posts) - - Show Bio

Stewart played a superb Xavier. I think it would be very interesting to have them explore a movie of the relationship between the two. It would be hard to really imagine a story of Mangeto's origin without Xavier playing some kind of role.

Stewart was also my favorite Enterprise captain. I liked him, because he was a philosopher, archeologist (which wasn't explored enough for my liking), sort of awkward in personal relationships. Though I do imagine those early outfits were dreadful to wear. Looked like a onesie.

#21 Posted by Nahero (9915 posts) - - Show Bio

hopefully i don't pay 10.50 for a CGI patrick stuwart

#22 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O said:
"@King Quisling said:
"the guy who played his clone in Star Trek Nemesis should play a young Xavier. :P   I can't believe he was so causually killed off in X3. Xavier and Cyclops should come back in some astonishing plot twist.  Then it will truely be an X-Men movie.   "
Good call on everything you just said. "

Maybe than yes but NOW I seriously doubt it cause this is the guy Tom Hardy. He's a bit too Big to play a Xavier ha ha 

#23 Posted by #1ElderScrollsFan (1991 posts) - - Show Bio

Stewart ftw!!!

#24 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

Stewart has to play Xavier for real, not CG. The CG Xavier had just didn't feel right.

#25 Posted by HaloKing343 (1252 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blackandredflag said:
" @HaloKing343: same here "

Embarrassing huh?
#26 Posted by WonderBoy1132 (276 posts) - - Show Bio

he needs to stay in that role.. he does it amazing.

#27 Posted by King Saturn (224730 posts) - - Show Bio
I say let Patrick go for it... but they need to start filming as soon as possible... cause Patrick Stewart is nearly 70 years old...
#28 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn said:
" I say let Patrick go for it... but they need to start filming as soon as possible... cause Patrick Stewart is nearly 70 years old... "
and still, he is rated in the top 10 sexiest men alive. doing good Stewart. real good.
#29 Posted by bigmoneyb (163 posts) - - Show Bio
@HaloKing343 said:
" I gotta be honest. I had no idea that he was CG in Wolverine. I thought that was actually him. Either I'm retarded, or that was some awsome effects! "
lmao same here i swear 2 god i thought that was him
#30 Posted by Atom Smasher (83 posts) - - Show Bio

Old Bald Guy playing an Old Bald guy? Heck no his time isn't over.  He was Awesome I'll be more piss at the Director who cuts him then the overwhelming hate I have for Bryan Singer really how does that guy keep finding work?
#31 Edited by AirDave817 (824 posts) - - Show Bio

This would be hilarious - Michael Rosenbaum as a young Charles Xavier; and Patrick Stewart as the contemporary Xavier. 

Didn't this latest Star Trek re-write all Star Trek history? So, conceivably, that would include The Next Generation. That crew could be completely different. The Butterfly Effect could have wiped Picard and his uncomfortable uniform out of existence...Riker just might have gotten the big chair after all...

#32 Posted by HaloKing343 (1252 posts) - - Show Bio
@bigmoneyb said:
" @HaloKing343 said:
" I gotta be honest. I had no idea that he was CG in Wolverine. I thought that was actually him. Either I'm retarded, or that was some awsome effects! "
lmao same here i swear 2 god i thought that was him "

Good to hear I'm not alone.
#33 Posted by CrimsonComedian (328 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't believe that was a CG in the end of the Wolverine movie O_o 
Damn, effects got good.

#34 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8048 posts) - - Show Bio

I was there at DragonCOn and head him speak. He didn't really say much about X-men. All he said was that he heard that they were making a new x-men film about the original x-men, and didn't really say anything about returning as Xavier. He said he didn't know much about the new x-men.
I hope he does come back tho

#35 Posted by White Mage (18747 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw him at the end of Wolverine Origins.  He looked like a greezy hot mess.
#36 Posted by aycecharl (5 posts) - - Show Bio

xmen without cyclops sucks

#37 Posted by grimreaper1980 (619 posts) - - Show Bio

good

#38 Posted by Kairan1979 (16897 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's face it - Stewart makes much better Professor X than McEvoy.

#39 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

The man is, simply, the best one for the role. He's the guy that anyone else who plays the Prof is going to have to measure up to. I feel the same way about RDJ as Iron Man.

#40 Edited by dorsk188 (236 posts) - - Show Bio

Xavier died in X3, so he wouldn't be in an X4 (the very thought makes me want to vomit).  If they continue First Class, then it will be McAvoy, but I suppose you could have a conversation between Stewart and McKellan from sometime around the original trilogy as a framing device or resolution for the main First Class story... 

I could imagine a movie that centers around the 1980's, with Xavier and his "Second Class" which would include a young Cyclops, Storm, and Jean.  The story unfolds and they clash with Erik and his brotherhood.  Maybe Erik's children, Pietro goes with Erik, Lorna goes with Xavier, and Wanda is torn between them.  During the conflict, Wanda is killed.  The final few scenes star Stewart and McKellan perhaps visiting Wanda's grave...  Seems a little contrived, but I'm sure you could make something more important of that scene.  Other than something like this, then no, I think Singer's X-Universe should be laid to rest as gently as possible so that we can get a solid reboot as soon as possible.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.