Follow

Predator

Character » Predator appears in 339 issues.

Predators, or Yautja, are extraterrestrial hunters who possess advanced technology and weapons used to hunt any being they consider worthy prey. They often make trophies of their victims after killing them, and are often known to hunt for sport on Earth, seeing humans as easy prey that are plentiful in numbers.

Mortal Kombat X: Why the Predator is a Perfect Fit

• 78 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Last week, the greatest announcement of all time was made: Predator will be playable in Mortal Kombat X. Okay, maybe that announcement wasn't the greatest, but it's still an amazingly exciting reveal. Not only is Predator adored by so many of us, but knowing we'll be able to control a lethal Yautja in the next installment of NetherRealm Studios' most popular franchise makes us want to do a happy dance. Considering the studio's work on Mortal Kombat (9) and Injustice: Gods Among Us, we're feeling optimistic about Mortal Kombat X and we're so thrilled to eventually download Predator -- yes, he's DLC. So, what makes the iconic extraterrestrial such a good fit for this bloody video game? Let's talk about it.

PREDATOR! Oh, and Jason Voorhees, Tanya, and Tremor are also in the Kombat Pack. That's cool, I guess.
    PREDATOR! Oh, and Jason Voorhees, Tanya, and Tremor are also in the Kombat Pack. That's cool, I guess.

Assuming these DLC characters have their own unique endings, it's pretty easy to see how they can make this alien fit in. A Predator is drawn to conflict and wants to experience the ultimate hunt, yes? Well, a giant conflict with a whole lot of savage, diverse, and skilled fighters sure does seem like a pretty appealing place to a Predator. This bleak setting would likely make many of us run as far away as possible, but a Predator would see all of the madness and leap right in. The alien doesn't want power and he probably won't take sides; he'll just do what he can to slaughter every dangerous individual he sees. In Mortal Kombat, "dangerous individuals" aren't exactly in short supply. We've seen Predators fight Batman, Xenomorphs, Terminators, and even Judge Dredd. Now, it's time to see the Yautja take on the many fighters in Mortal Kombat's universe.

It's easy to see how the studio can incorporate the character, but what's the point of a decent story if the character isn't fun to use? When there's going to be over twenty characters, you need to bring more than nostalgia and a cool costume design to the game. Thankfully, the Predator has a whole lot of offer and I can't wait to see his move list. It really isn't difficult to imagine all of the possibilities here. We're talking about a character that has everything from incredibly sharp blades on its wrist to a shoulder mounted cannon that can blast right through a person's body. The wrist blades alone offer a ton of possibilities. They can be used for an absolutely vicious x-ray attack, melee combos, or even just one or two powerful special moves. We'd all want a stunning slice or stab attack, yeah?

The wrist blades are by no means the Predator's only stabbing and slicing weapons, either. We've seen the alien hunter carry all kinds of pointy gear over the years, but two must-haves would be the Smart-Disc, a.k.a. the weapon that cut Gary Busey in half, and the Combi-Stick, a.k.a. the impaler of doom. Both weapons are ferocious, so yeah, that obviously makes them a fitting addition to the game. We could even see the Predator fire spears (just like he did in Predator 2 and several video games) for an additional ranged attack.

Predator image from wkinach.eu
    Predator image from wkinach.eu

No Predator would be complete without a Plasma Caster and the character reveal video of course had one aiming right at the viewer. This weapon can be a well-implemented game changer or a downright obnoxious attack that'll be easy to spam. Obviously, balancing characters is a huge focus for the studio, so I imagine if the attack can lock-on, it won't happen swiftly and there will be multiple ways to dodge the blast. Or maybe you can even charge the attack and fire it straight, low, or upwards. We'll just have to wait and see, but this should definitely play a big role in the character's offensive capabilities. I mean, it would be blasphemy not to make this attack awesome and fun to use, right? As if all of those weapons weren't enough, they can also include the pesky net (sorry, Cyrax) and maybe even the whip we saw Wolf use inAvP: Requiem.

Ah, nostalgia.
    Ah, nostalgia.

Then there's the fact Predator's are physically superior to humans. This character shouldn't require its weapons to be all kinds of brutal. Assuming the developers are giving this character the kind of love he deserves, his unarmed attacks will be full of force and very blunt. Goodbye slick technique, hello direct and powerful punches and kicks that'll drop our jaws! Also, we all know it's very likely they're going to give the big guy the ability to cloak. With so many great potential attacks, it's tough not to feel like I'd rather have another weapon instead of the ability to go invisible. Still, if used properly, it can allow you to turn the tide of the match or hold on to an even stronger edge, so it could prove to be useful in the hands of an especially tactical player.

There's three different variations for each character, so that has me wonderful what they'll do with the Predator. If I had to guess, I'd say one will focus on melee attacks (one can never have too many wrist blade attacks) and two that'll focus on projectiles. It'll likely be too difficult to resist finding a creative way to give the Plasma Caster another noteworthy move and considering the guy's arsenal, there's quite a few possibilities for a third variation. Maybe they'll save the net or Smart-Disc for this.

We all love the Mortal Kombat games for different reasons, but a vast majority of us can't resist the joy of unleashing a fatality upon your dazed and defeated opponent. And the Predator? Yeah, this guy is all about finding astonishing ways to slice, blast, and rip apart his enemies. The ol' pulling out the spine and skull routine probably won't be enough on its own, but that's something the studio surely knows and they'll find a way to spice things up before the Predator holds a severed head and spine in the air. We've talked about the numerous weapons this dude has, so they can obviously put a bunch of those to good use, too. It'll be baffling if an alien hunter who aims to kill doesn't have memorable fatalities. Thankfully, I don't think they'll let us down.

Playing as the Predator in a video game isn't exactly something new, but the chance to control him in a fighting game -- one which is more than likely going to be a blast -- is just such an exciting thought. The deadly alien has what it takes to hang with Mortal Kombat's variety of characters and considering how much anticipation and hype the character has received, it's tough to believe NetherRealm Studios won't go all-out with him. It won't be long until we'll get to hop around as the classic combatant -- sorry, I mean "klassic kombatant" -- and slice apart some of our favorite Mortal Kombat characters. Seriously, we now live in a world that'll soon have Predator vs. Scorpion playing out a gazillion different and oh-so-entertaining ways. Awesome, right? Sporting a great design and a whole lot of harsh ways to demolish his opponents, Predator is a perfect fit for the Mortal Kombat universe. And hey, if you don't like Predator, at least you'll be able to "nut punch" him as Johnny or Cassie Cage.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

They should swap out Jason for Spawn.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Why no Spawn?

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

@micah: Did the Spawn rumor get shown as untrue? Last I heard was he was a possibility and that was it.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
    deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

@micah said:

They should swap out Jason for Spawn.

Quite, you!

Avatar image for solomongrundysm
    SolomonGrundySM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still want Spawn :-\

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#6 inferiorego  Staff

I didn't read this, so I'd vote for a Xenomorph. That's what we're going, right?

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MuyJingo

They should swap out Jason for Joker.

Nice article Gregg. I ended up buying the kombat pack because it was on sale for $9 less than normal, combined with a 10% discount from sony it made it reasonable. No idea who Tremor and Tanya are.

I think I'm looking forward to playing Predator more than any other character.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nailed it. Great article!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you people insane? Jason is an awesome choice!

SolomonGrundySM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh come on! How can you not love a invincible Zombie who slaughters people with a machete while wearing a Hockey mask ?

_Scythe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Jason is a great character for mk. Fits more than spawn since spawn could just one shot the planet. Plus he's already in another fighting game. Just buy that one.

I want Rick from splatter house than any other guest character.

SolomonGrundySM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: I just don't really care about him being in the game and frankly don't see what he adds. He's not the worst possible choice but he doesn't get me excited, at all.

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zaied

You guys realize Spawn was never deconfirmed? He'll probably be in the second Kombat Pack if there is one, or just a standalone DLC. I personally felt Predator was the best choice NRS could possibly make for a guest character.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Awesome to know that Predator is in this. Still hoping for Spawn. Hope they feature some gameplay of Jason, Tanya, Tremor, and Predator before their release. Would love to see their x-rays and fatalities.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I'm more interested in Tremor tbh

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Working for ComicVine must be one of the greatest job ever

Avatar image for starscream_vs_you
    Starscream_Vs_You

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But which class of Predator/Yutja are they going for?? A clan leader? Or maybe a berserk Yutja? Or the cleaner from AvP: Requiem? Or maybe one of the three Yutja's from AvP??

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Enough with the guest characters.

Beata

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@spidey_jackson said:

Enough with the guest characters.

Beata

Yeah! Get those optional characters out of here! Stop making me buy them!

OH WAIT! ;)

Edit: Unless you mean "I want another MK character instead of Predator." Then... carry on.

@muyjingo said:

They should swap out Jason for Joker.

Nice article Gregg. I ended up buying the kombat pack because it was on sale for $9 less than normal, combined with a 10% discount from sony it made it reasonable. No idea who Tremor and Tanya are.

I think I'm looking forward to playing Predator more than any other character.

Thank you. Unfortunately, I'm going to wait until I can buy Predator separately. Please feel free to brag after you test him out, though!

@blade_r said:

Nailed it. Great article!

Great comment! I mean, thanks!

@jonny_anonymous said:

I'm more interested in Tremor tbh

What makes him especially promising to you?

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By d9000

It's so hard to tell who at CV is most excited about Mortal Kombat? (sarcasm)

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Rock ninjas man, rock ninjas are cool. Also I don't like guest characters.

I hope Street Fighter V drums up as much hype as MK X has when it's closer to release.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Rock ninjas man, rock ninjas are cool. Also I don't like guest characters.

I hope Street Fighter V drums up as much hype as MK X has when it's closer to release.

I doubt it, they gained a lot of flack for making Street Fighter a PS4 exclusive.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

I doubt it, they gained a lot of flack for making Street Fighter a PS4 exclusive.

Whats that got to do with anything? Sony funded the game, without them SFV wouldn't exist.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MuyJingo

@jonny_anonymous: Why did sony have to fund it? Are capcom having issues?

Do you like SF as much as MK? I've never played it and it looks too cartoony to me...I can't take it seriously. And it's so goddamn fast I don't know what's happening and it makes me feel old.

@k4tzm4n I don't know if I'll be in a position to brag. It's taken me 2 years of playing Injustice just to get to a point where I'm somewhat competitive. I'm preordering in the hopes that I have an advantage in having some extra practice time to learn the combos and such.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo: Capcom are in the crapper, they are pretty much in debt.

I like SF more than MK, it was the first fighting game I ever played and I really enjoy the hardness of it. Most people can get pretty good at MK if they tried but it takes proper skill to get good at Street Fighter.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Everyone needs to drop Spawn. He would have been just another Scorpion.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I've heard that said, but I don't see why. The games are just different, why would SF be harder?

I never played it as a kid, if I did I may have liked it. Although maybe not since it seems a lot like DBZ, which I was never in to...

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo: It was made to be harder, SF is faster and more technical it's for hardcore fighting game fans where MK is made to be accessible.

It's nothing like DBZ, at all.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mr. Boon and Co. can incorporate Predator, Jason, Freddy, and as many other fictional characters from pop culture as they want... but Mortal Kombat will still never be as good as Street Fighter from a technical standpoint.

Still, I can see how the promise of being able to battle it out using these characters for the first time can be alluring. It's very similar to Smash Bros. utilizing Mega Man, Sonic, Pac-Man, and Solid Snake to drive hype and boost sales.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Not even gonna read the article. I already agree with this.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MuyJingo

@jonny_anonymous said:

@muyjingo: It was made to be harder, SF is faster and more technical it's for hardcore fighting game fans where MK is made to be accessible.

Do you have anything to back that up, or is it just opinion? Not trying to be a dick, it's just I've seen the same said in inverse, and it doesn't really make sense. It seems more that SF was first on the scene and that's why it is preferred. Both games have everything the other has, does it not?

There are a lot of vague claims about how it is superior technically, but I've yet to see anyone elaborate or clarify the point. Just seems like a preference, nothing more.

To me, the games from NRS have far more personality. Each character feels distinct, the universe feels distance and well developed, and at least in MK9 and Injustice the story was excellent.

Injustice also introduced elements such as the clash, interactables and transitions which to me, make it a much more strategic game than most other fighting games, purely because there are many more things to manage, take into account and vy for control of.

If someone can get good at MK, I don't see why they couldn't get just as good at SF.

It seemed like DBZ to me as someone not familiar with DBZ...asian guy with too much power trying to control it...fighting with bursts of energy....overly dramatic blinking color backgrounds....the animation style also seemed similar to me. I'm sure they are drastically different, but as someone who isn't overtly familiar with either franchise, they seemed comparable.

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Predator is awesome but if they add Spawn i'm all in. Jason is cool, but now I feel the need to have Freddy again. I mean who doesn't want to see those two fight in MKX? Lastly, I think Judge Dredd would be another cool DLC. And Robocop.....and Darth Maul.....I could probably keep going....

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Gracetrack

@muyjingo said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Do you have anything to back that up, or is it just opinion? Not trying to be a dick, it's just I've seen the same said in inverse, and it doesn't really make sense. It seems more that SF was first on the scene and that's why it is preferred. Both games have everything the other has, does it not?

If someone can get good at MK, I don't see why they couldn't get just as good at SF.

It seemed like DBZ to me as someone not familiar with DBZ...asian guy with too much power trying to control it...fighting with bursts of energy....overly dramatic blinking color backgrounds....the animation style also seemed similar to me. I'm sure they are drastically different, but as someone who isn't overtly familiar with either franchise, they seemed comparable.

If I may chime in...

And this is just one very basic example among several...

Typically, a greater number of characters in Street Fighter games have a basic projectile attack (while on the ground). On top of that, each of these characters almost always has at least 3 different speeds at which those projectiles advance across the screen - Slow, Medium, and Fast. Compare this with Mortal Kombat games where, even though many characters have a basic projectile (on ground), there is typically only one speed at which they proceed across the screen. Obviously, this means there is more nuance when it comes to the basic projectile game alone in SF.

Though, admittedly, I haven't played an MK since like the 4th or 5th core installment, so maybe they've changed that. From what I've followed though, that doesn't appear to have changed. Again, that's just basic projectiles (i.e. doesn't include enhanced or "EX" versions of projectile attacks, which both game series have)

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i need to go ahead and preorder this already....

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

No, Mortal Kombat is a dial-a-combo, it's all juggles and cancels and that's about it, no links or anything. Like I said Mortal Kombat was designed specifically to be accessible.

No, not at all. Jeff Gertzman at Giant Bomb as played Mortal Kombat in professional tournaments but he's very bad at Street Fighter. The two game designs are very different.

This is a baffling statement. It's like saying Iron Fist is the same as DBZ.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

No, Mortal Kombat is a dial-a-combo, it's all juggles and cancels and that's about it, no links or anything. Like I said Mortal Kombat was designed specifically to be accessible.

No, not at all. Jeff Gertzman at Giant Bomb as played Mortal Kombat in professional tournaments but he's very bad at Street Fighter. The two game designs are very different.

Mortal Kombat is not dial a combo...come on. You either haven't played it recently at all, or are just downplaying it due to bias. I don't know why you would say otherwise.. Street Fighter was designed to be accessible as well, unless you have a reference stating it wasn't. It's a fighting game, they want people to play it. Of course it was designed to be accessible.

The fact that the GB dude is great at MK and not great at SF only proves that the game styles are different, not that one is better than the other. I slaughter SF players in Injustice constantly, because they can't adapt.

I'm not saying DBZ is the same as SF. I said, and it seems I have to repeat myself here, as someone who isn't overtly familiar with either franchise, they seemed comparable.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@muyjingo said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Mortal Kombat is not dial a combo...come on. You either haven't played it recently at all, or are just downplaying it due to bias. I don't know why you would say otherwise.. Street Fighter was designed to be accessible as well, unless you have a reference stating it wasn't. It's a fighting game, they want people to play it. Of course it was designed to be accessible.

The fact that the GB dude is great at MK and not great at SF only proves that the game styles are different, not that one is better than the other. I slaughter SF players in Injustice constantly, because they can't adapt.

I'm not saying DBZ is the same as SF. I said, and it seems I have to repeat myself here, as someone who isn't overtly familiar with either franchise, they seemed comparable.

I love Mortal Kombat and I've played pretty much all of them. Dial-A-Combo isn't a dis, it's the name of a certain fighting game design. Mortal Kombat and (some) Tekken are the most high profile DaC games. Other than MK have you played many fighting games? It doesn't sound like it.

I have been saying the entire time that it was different, you were the one saying everything was the same. didn't say it was better, I said it was harder and it is.

Again this is like saying Scorpion is totally like Ghost Rider because they are both 90's extreme spirit of vengeance with skull heads that use chains to kill people.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MuyJingo

@jonny_anonymous: I've only played MK9 as far as MK goes. I'm pretty decent at Injustice, and used to be OK at Tekken Tag. Not much SF, because it doesn't seem appealing to me.

You said MK can't link combos, and that's just blatantly false. It made me question if you had played MK9 or only played earlier versions, where maybe that was the case.

I didn't say the games were the same. Don't put words into my mouth. What I actually said, was both games have the same features(for lack of a better word)i.e. linking combos, blocking, resets, juggling etc. And they do, albeit implemented in quite different ways. Which is all this is. You like one implementation over the other - it doesn't make it better, just a preference.

You still haven't done a single thing to show SF is the more technical game. You've just been dumping on MK and repeatedly saying SF is harder and there doesn't seem to be anything to back that up.

So, I guess that answers my question that started this off-topic debate: "Do you have anything to back that up, or is it just opinion?" - It's clearly just your opinion.

You sound just like the guys who come on Injustice who can't play at all and bitch about how I'd never have a chance at SF. Well, that's true, but it isn't because it's harder, it's because it's different.

I'll put forward the possibility that Injustice is a far more technical game then either MK or SF, because of what it adds to the game. Clashes, transitions and interactables, interesting combo breakers and traits, far greater diversity in characters and fighting styles...

Scorpion and GR are similar. It's foolish to say otherwise. Which makes me think that DBZ and SF are in fact similar like I thought, if your scale of fundamentally different is Scorpion and GR.

You seem unable to grasp the simple concept that someone unfamiliar with two things, yet noticing similarities and thus finding them comparable is not the same thing as someone saying the two things are equal or the same.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo: Ok you don't know enough about fighting games to carry this conversation and you're just fanboying now. If you want to know why Street FIghter games are harder you can just go ahead and google it.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@muyjingo said:

@jonny_anonymous: Why did sony have to fund it? Are capcom having issues?

Do you like SF as much as MK? I've never played it and it looks too cartoony to me...I can't take it seriously. And it's so goddamn fast I don't know what's happening and it makes me feel old.

@k4tzm4nI don't know if I'll be in a position to brag. It's taken me 2 years of playing Injustice just to get to a point where I'm somewhat competitive. I'm preordering in the hopes that I have an advantage in having some extra practice time to learn the combos and such.

I meant brag about being able to use the character before I can. Besides, you can use him to beat some A.I. opponents!

Toaborox18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God, I hate topics like these.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MuyJingo

@k4tzm4n: For sure, only 3 weeks or so to go. I know what I'll be doing that entire weekend...

@jonny_anonymous: LOL. Whatever man. You absolutely can't backup your position, so you're resorting to insults. That just further proves my point.

FWIW, I have googled it, extensively. There are no explanations, just a bunch of SF fans insisting something and being shot down. Much like here.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 k4tzm4n  Moderator

God, I hate topics like these.

Thanks for giving it a view!

@muyjingo said:

@k4tzm4n: For sure, only 3 weeks or so to go. I know what I'll be doing that entire weekend...

@jonny_anonymous: LOL. Whatever man. You absolutely can't backup your position, so you're resorting to insults. That just further proves my point.

FWIW, I have googled it, extensively. There are no explanations, just a bunch of SF fans insisting something and being shot down. Much like here.

Same here! Or at least I hope so.

kevinwalsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People want Spawn? Are they from 1993? Spawn has been pretty lame for awhile and is the personification of the corniest things in 90's comics. To me the 4 DLC characters are a let down and 30 bucks for 4 characters? No thanks.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevinwalsh: well to be fair it's only $20. $5/character doesn't seem so bad, or at least that's how I rationalized it.

kevinwalsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By kevinwalsh

@muyjingo: No it's 30.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/41410/20150322/mortal-kombat-x-characters-predator-and-jason-voorhees-mean-blood-blood-and-more-blood.htm

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.