Follow

Power Rangers

Team » Power Rangers appears in 320 issues.

The Power Rangers are a group of people chosen to defend the innocent utilizing teamwork, numerous high-tech weaponry and technology.

Top 10 Power Rangers Villains

Avatar image for bloodwolfassassin
    Bloodwolfassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 148

User Lists: 15

Since I was a little kid, I have been a huge fan of Power Rangers. I can already hear you people laughing at me. Before you start on that let me assure you that I am well aware of the cheesiness of the show. Sure it relied on Japanese stock footage a bit too much and the characters had a habit of being a little too goody-goody and two-dimensional but you can’t deny there’s a certain charm about five teenagers with attitude being summoned by a giant floating head in a tube and granted super-powers to defend the world from evil space invaders. I love the original series as well as all of the spin-offs. (to varying degrees) Over the course of it’s various incarnations the series has had its fair share of great villains, from ancient Demons to intergalactic conquerors. I’ve decided, as an homage to one of my favorite shows, to countdown my favorite villains of the power Rangers Universe.

Couple rules I’ve set for myself. The character must have been a villain for the majority of the series or their tenure within the series. Some of the list makers do in fact turn good towards the end of the series, but that does not mean their time as a baddie wasn’t truly spectacular. I put this rule in place because I see far too many lists like this that include the evil Green Ranger even though Tommy is one of the greatest heroes in the series and was only evil for about five episodes. This also precludes characters like Trent from Dino Thunder, The Thunder Rangers from Ninja Storm, Zenakku from Wild Force etc.

Before we get to the main list, we have an honorable mention.

Honorable Mention: Rita Repulsa – Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers

No Caption Provided

True, she certainly wasn’t the most effective villain of the series, but then again, that’s not why she gets the honorable mention. The reason I put her here is she’s so iconic of the series. Hell, when you watch the old Mighty Morphin’ episodes, the first thing you hear before that kickass rock song is her shrill voice proclaiming her intentions to conquer our planet. Unfortunately iconography alone is not enough to make this list and making someone want to eat a bunch of junk food is not exactly the sort of thing that will make the forces of good quake in their boots. Still, Rita is one of the things we remember most about Power Rangers and we won’t be forgetting her anytime soon.

Now on with the List

10. Dai Shi – Power Rangers Jungle Fury

No Caption Provided

When the star pupil of the Pai Zhua Martial Arts Academy is humiliated angered when his arrogance causes an unskilled rookie to be chosen to be one of the guardians over him, he accidentally releases and merges with Dai-Shi the very evil spirit that the order of the claw is sworn to guard. The spirit doesn’t so much completely possess him as much as slowly poison his mind, as well as amplify his powers. Throughout Jungle Fury, there’s a sense that Jarrod is slowly losing control of his mind and allowing Dai Shi to get stronger and stronger, and boy does he ever get stronger and some of his methods are pretty disturbing. In one episode he actually goes back in time to times in his host’s life when Jarrod had been noble or charitable and erases them, causing Jarrod’s own evil to grow. That’s what makes Dai Shi so evil, his power over Jarrod, who more or less is an innocent victim in all this. At the end of the series, we finally see Dai Shi’s true form and holy crap is it badass, a giant multi-headed dragon with unlimited power that dwarfs the Jungle Master Megazord. Dai Shi hates all humans and desires only their destruction. His cruel manipulation of Jarrod and ever increasing power make him a strong start to this list.

9. Koragg the Nightwolf – Power Rangers Mystic Force

No Caption Provided

During the first Mystic war, a great warrior named Leanbow supposedly sacrificed his life in order to seal the dark master away. In reality, Leanbow was corrupted and brainwashed by dark magic and transformed into the dark Knight Koragg. This guy is some serious bad news, possessing far more skill with the ways of magic than the rangers. He has a damn powerful zord as well as the ability to turn into a giant centaur, nice. No matter how powerful the Mystic Rangers got, Koragg was always stronger. But the more I watch this character the more he seems familiar. He’s a big hulking warrior in dark armor, he is a loyal servant of a far greater evil, he has knowledge of an ancient magic that is greater than the main heroes, and later we learn that he’s actually the main characters father. Now where have I seen that before?

No Caption Provided

Oh yeah, him. Anywho, Koragg is still a chilling presence. Everytime we see him we know he’s a force to contend with. Despite his great power however, he never finishes off the rangers as he feels it would be too easy. Even when Leanbow is freed from the darkness, the temptation of the power he possesses still lingers, temporarily transforming Nick, the Red Ranger, into the new Koragg in the season finale. Big, bad and immensely powerful, Koragg is definitely a cut above the rest.

8. Astronema – Power Rangers in Space

No Caption Provided

On a planet called KO-35, a young girl named Karone was kidnapped and though dead by her family. In reality, the girl was left on the doorstep of a dark warrior named Ecliptor who raised her to be evil. Years later, young Karone has grown up to become the evil Astronema, the mistress of all evil second only to the space demon, Dark Specter. At the time Power Rangers in Space aired, fans of Power Rangers had been used to petty comic relief villains like the Machine Empire from Zeo or the irritatingly horrendous Divatox from Turbo. So when we saw a cold, calculating and serious villain like Astronema, it was quite a breath of fresh air. Astronema was war-general and always remained focused on her goal of galactic conquest, not to mention the fact that she had all those previous villains I mentioned under her control. She’s opportunistic, and a hell of a fighter. Unlike Koragg, who was brainwashed by the forces of evil, Astronema was raised by evil. Even when she learns the truth about her family, (Her brother is the Red Ranger. Didn’t I just say she was different from Koragg?) she still struggles to accept it because evil is all she knows. In the second half of the season when Dark Spector uses cybernetic implants to make her fully evil, she becomes far more ambitious and tries to overthrow her master and seize control for herself. Instead of bothering with the one monster at a time crap, Astronema launches a full-scale invasion of the universe in the series finale and nearly succeeds. The only thing that defeats her is the sacrifice of Zordon, which destroys all evil in the galaxy, at least until next season. Unlike other villains who lost their luster as the show progressed, Astronema was constantly threatening and always had an evil plan to push the rangers to their limits. Such plans ranged from running them over with a sentient Hummer to brainwashing the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Yes that really happened, and sadly it was the weakest episode of that season). But every rangers fan knows Astronema’s greatest strategy to defeat the rangers is… well we’ll get to that a little later.

7. Diabolico – Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue

No Caption Provided

Linkara of Atop the Fourth Wall said in his review of Lightspeed Rescue that the element that held that season down the most was its villains, and for the most part I agree. That is except for Diabolico. He was really the only interesting villain in that series. Prince Olympius was boring as hell, Queen Bansheera didn’t do shit until the end and when she did she proved herself incompetent, and Vypra… we don’t talk about Vypra. Diabolico, however, was far more intimidating. He never gave up in his efforts to defeat the Rangers. Even death was but a minor inconvenience for him. To talk about Diabolico at length would be a waste of time because his evil can really be summed up in a single scene. Ryan, the son of the Rangers’ superior officer, was taken away by Diabolico at a young age. All of this was part of a deal made with his father to save his life. In turn Ryan was raised by Diabolico and the demons to be evil and eventually became the sinister Titanium Ranger. As per usual with sixth rangers, Ryan defects to the side of good. Diabolico however, refuses to give Ryan up without a fight. In retaliation, he visits Ryan in a dream and burns a cobra tattoo onto his back that will move up his body each time he morphs and will eventually kill him. In true Nightmare on Elm Street fashion the tattoo is still there when Ryan wakes up. This is pretty dark for Power Rangers. Where one of his allies would just send another monster, Diabolico will torture his victims to death. It’s that alone that earns him a spot here.

6. Ivan Ooze – Power Rangers: The Movie

No Caption Provided

I should preface this by saying I actually love the power rangers movie. It’s a fun nostalgia trip and it’s got one hell of a villain. This guy is just a bastard. He commits acts of unspeakable evil and responds with a witty retort. 6,000 years ago, he was sealed away by Zordon. When Zedd and Rita free him from his prison, he has one thing on his mind, vengeance. What really gets Ooze on this list is how effective he is. What Zedd and Rita have been trying to do for years, he manages to do in roughly half an hour with little effort on his part. He destroys the command center, nearly kills Zordon and cuts the rangers off from their powers, then he goes to the moon and takes out Rita and Zedd. This was all in one night. Damn, this guy doesn’t mess around. He thinks of the Power Rangers as nothing more than a nuisance. He doesn’t obsess over their destruction like others would but rather remains focused on his ultimate goal after he’s done with them. That goal is releasing his two ultimate insecto-zords. To do this he takes control of all the parents of angel grove using his… purple splooge… Disgusting. He turns them into a work force to dig up his super robots as he sits back and drinks cappuccino. He’s easily the funniest villain to make this list, partially due to the great acting of Paul Freeman, who also played Beloq in Raiders of the Lost Ark. (Boy that’s a weird resume) Something that sets him apart from a lot a Power Rangers main villains, especially at the time this movie came out, is the fact that he isn’t afraid to get his own hands dirty. He doesn’t bother with monsters, he does his own dirty work. Even in the final battle he merges with his own zord in order to defeat the rangers himself. Oh, I feel I should mention, he is in fact defeated by a kick to the nuts. Ivan Ooze’s time in the series may have been short, but he certainly left his slimy purple mark on Rangers history.

5. Octomus The Master – Power Rangers Mystic Force

No Caption Provided

This character is interesting. Despite the fact that he’s the main villain of the series, we don’t even see him until the final episode. He is often mentioned, but never by name. In fact, I don’t think his name is ever even mentioned in the show, I just know it because of Wikipedia. When he is discussed he is referred to only as The Master. The buildup to this character was insane. Each force of evil in this show was given power by The Master and in turn they remain loyal to him, and given the caliber of villains we see in Mystic force, that’s saying quite a lot. There has never been any Power Rangers villain who was more hyped than this character. So much so that fans believed that there was no way he could possibly live up to the hype. But when we finally saw him in all his glory those people were eating those words. This is the closest the Power Rangers have ever come to fighting The Devil. Think about it, he’s a giant red horrifying monstrosity, his headquarters is called the underworld, clearly meant to be hell, he corrupts the souls of mortal men, as seen with Koragg, and he has an army of demons at his command. He’s The Devil. This could possibly be the most powerful entity that any team of Power Rangers has ever faced. There’s not much to his character, but there doesn’t need to be, He’s The Devil!

4. Deker – Power Rangers Samurai

No Caption Provided

Power Rangers Samurai is unfortunately one of the few series that I haven’t seen all that much of. I’ve enjoyed what I have seen and most of it is because of this character. I don’t even know that much about him either but I’ve definitely seen enough to give him a spot on this list. Apparently he was brought back to life long ago thanks to a deal made with Master Xandred, the main villain of the series. The trade off was, he is now cursed to walk the Earth forever as a Human-Nighlok hybrid. The only way to lift his curse, as well as the only thing he lives for, is to find the ultimate opponent for his sword Uramasa. I put this character so high on the list because it’s rare in this franchise that you see a villain who only wants to fight. He doesn’t want world domination, he doesn’t want revenge, all he cares about is fighting. He’s an honorable warrior, but you can still tell there’s darkness in his heart. He has no regard for innocent lives and anyone who isn’t strong enough to face him will feel the wrath of Uramasa.

3. Ransik – Power Rangers Time Force

No Caption Provided

In the year 3000, a botched lab experiment creates an entire race of powerful and evil mutant criminals, the most powerful of them being a mutant called Ransik. When he is finally caught by the power rangers of the future, Ransik escapes and high jacks a time machine and travels one thousand years in the past, bringing with him an army of mutant criminals to wreak havoc in a world not prepared to face him. Though number three on the list, Ransik is my favorite villain in the entire franchise. Played by Vernon Wells, who also played the villain in the movie commando, the chilling lines this character delivers make him incredibly intimidating. Ransik was one tough customer, desiring nothing more than the destruction of the human race and creating a world where mutants are superior. However, unlike another mutant character with a similar motivation,Ransik is not any sort of champion for mutant rights. He’s mostly in it for himself and cares nothing for the lives of his subordinates. The only other person he cares about is his daughter Nadira. Ultimately it’s that soft spot that leads to his downfall but I’m getting ahead of myself. Ransik was a real force to be reckoned with and he knew it, easily able to fight off any of the Rangers one on one. His powers are also not limited to his mutant abilities. In the next season, Power Rangers Wild Force, We learn that Ransik was granted the ability to extract bones from his body and turn them into swords (awesome) when he frees three monsters called Orgs from their stone prison. The moment that earns him such a high spot on my list comes in the final episode where he has his final confrontation with the Rangers. The thing is, the Rangers never defeated him. Ransik surrenders when he realized that in his anger he nearly killed his beloved daughter, but in that fight he had nearly destroyed all of the rangers, and if that fight had continued he would have succeeded.

2. Lord Zedd – Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers

There was no way in hell I would have dreamt of making this list without including Lord Zedd. I shouldn’t even have to justify his spot, but I will anyway. I think Linkara said it best when he said Zedd was what we would get if H. R. Giger were ever to design a super villain. He has an amazing design that was so frightening, the character actually had to be toned down because adults found him too scary. Unlike his predecessor and later wife, Rita Repulsa, (Little side note: in Power Rangers Operation Overdrive, it’s revealed that Zedd and Rita had a child. Enjoy vomiting in terror once that sinks in.) who would send monsters against the rangers with no rhyme or reason, Zedd’s methods were far more sinister, taking an item that had some sort of value to the rangers, like an instrument or a family heirloom and twisting it into an evil monster. Hell, he once brought a monster from someone’s nightmare to life. That’s pretty dark, especially for a kids show. Now I can hear you old fans who are now in your mid-twenties who remember the later seasons when Zedd was a comic relief doofus protesting already. I ask you guys to go back a bit to when you were little and you saw Zedd for the first time. A red hand with silver claws grasping a snake. A frightening mask with a glowing red visor hiding a skinless visage and a deep gravely voice that sent shivers down your spine. Doesn’t seem as goofy anymore does he. Earlier I mentioned how iconic Rita was. If there is one villain more iconic of Power Rangers than Rita, it’s Lord Zedd.

1. The Psycho Rangers – Power Rangers in Space

Remember earlier when I mentioned Astronema’s greatest plan? This was what I was talking about. In her efforts to defeat the Rangers once and for all, Astronema created five monsters called the psycho rangers, each one programmed with a deep obsession with destroying their Ranger counterpart. Unlike the average monster, these guys had a purpose, and never wavered from it. In every encounter, they proved themselves to be far stronger than their counterparts. Their only downfall is their obsession as it prevents them from working together as a team. But even one of the Psycho Rangers is more than a match for all five of the Space Rangers. Even when they are finally defeated, they refuse to stay down, surviving as ghosts and reconstituting themselves with one of Astronema’s machines for another crack at the rangers. Does a second defeat keep them down, hell no! They are revived yet again in the next season, Power Rangers Lost Galaxy and this time it takes two teams of rangers to finally put them down. Wow, these guys are pretty damn persistent. The fact that they simply won’t go away, combined with how powerful they are is enough to earn them a spot on the list, but there is one moment in the series that lives in infamy. After the previously mentioned defeat at the hands of the two ranger teams, Psycho Pink survives and engages Kendrix and Cassie, the Pink Rangers of their respective teams. After a long battle, Psycho Pink is finally destroyed, for really real this time. But before her destruction, she damages Cassie’s morpher, creating an explosion that claims the life of Kendrix. That’s right, the Psycho Rangers are officially the first villains in the entire franchise to kill one of the main characters. These monsters left their mark on Power Rangers history unlike any other and are more than worthy of the number one spot.

And so ends my countdown of the top 10 power rangers villains. I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. I may do a few more lists like this with other franchises somewhere down the line, but for now this is Bloodwolfassassin saying, may the power protect you.

Also, don’t anyone of you dare remind me that Kendrix came back to life at the end of Lost Galaxy. It was a heart wrenching moment when she died and it was undone in a stupid and nonsensical way that had no rhyme or reason to it. As far as I’m concerned it never happened.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

Rita was my favorite power ranger's villain. I guess it was because she is the most famous since she was the first villain for the first series Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. She was a pretty bad threat for the rangers.

shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By shawn87

Used to love Power Rangers when I was a kid. Don't really know any of these villains except Lord Zedd and Ivan Ooze

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
    texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By texasdeathmatch

hahaha Ivan Ooze...

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#4  Edited By Deadcool

Ransik is like Magneto...

Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Lance Uppercut

Ivan. Ooze. 'Nuff said.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

Shellshock is worth a mention too.

No Caption Provided
    progenitorigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By progenitorigin

I'm surprised Goldar didn't make the list.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By HolySerpent

When I was reading this. I was thinking "this guy better in list the psycho rangers, how can you forget the psycho rangers." they were one of the reasons power rangers in space was my favorite

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HolySerpent

I also want to add, I totally forgot Kendrix died. Well done sir, well done

Avatar image for stormtrance1618
    stormtrance1618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By stormtrance1618

Awesome blog! Really well done!

By the way, I had no idea that the guy who played Beloq in Raiders played Ivan Ooze. WOW!!! And I'm a HUGE Indy fan!

one_upper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By one_upper

Lord Zedd....ForeverZZZ

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By nickthedevil

Zedd was the best. didn't he succeed in killing off two rangers?

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HolySerpent

This is still the best thread I ever read

Avatar image for generalwithroundblackhelmet
    GeneralWithRoundBlackHelmet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NEED HELP PLS !!! WHO WAS THE GENERAL WITH A BLACK COMPLETLY ROUND HELMET ... IT WAS ALSO KEEPING HIM ALIVE... THE SCENARIO WITH HIM AND ONE OF THE POWER RANGERS WAS SORTA LIKE DARTH VADER AND LUKE .. THINK THE GENERAL WAS THE FATHER OF ONE OF THE RANGERS !!! PLS WHO WAS HE

serpent222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By serpent222

I came in here for Zedd. I leave satisfied.

Jean199999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jean199999
    @Bloodwolfassassin: This post is sheer awesomeness.
    Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
    YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

I loved Time Force's other Red Ranger (forgot name). He was more of an Anti-Hero though. And didn't the Psycho-Rangers appear in Time Force as well?

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Where the hell is Goldar!? That blue baboon wearing golden armor was badass.

Rodriech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rodriech
    No Caption Provided

Don`t forget Zenaku

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

nice list

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

some are truly remarkable villains indeed

NW2445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's the Machine Empire.

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome thread. I had forgotten about some of these villains.
    Two more comes to mind that I like.

Ecliptor
    Ecliptor
    Darkonda
    Darkonda

mathias74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zenaku, Ecliptor, Goldar, and Deker

DABBLORD11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys I think that master Xandrid should be on here instead of Deker because he is much more powerful and also beat all the rangers in their first meeting.

gbvcrblla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By gbvcrblla

AWESOME!!! Deker from Power Rangers Samurai is also Cole Evans (Red Ranger) from Power Rangers Wild Force

Blitzwings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Mavro and Armada

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.