Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    Power Girl suffers attacks in both her secret and superheroic identities, as she combats OMACs seemingly activated by the resurrected Maxwell Lord at the same time one of her employees betrays her company.

The Good

Power Girl's one of those titles that really need a clean, appealing style, especially after Amanda Conner's crisp work has become so strongly identified with the character. I really thought that'd be too tough an act to follow, but Basri handily captures that fun vibe while still keeping a unique style. Winick also does a bang-up job of making the classic "superhero with a secret identity" dynamic work when the real life soap opera stuff can so often seem boring in comparison to the superheroics. You'll be surprised at how gripping this issue's cliffhanger is, given that it's just about one of PG's employees embezzling money from her. As always, the best plots are shaped by the character and this was especially effective for fitting Kara's characterization as a well-meaning woman who's sometimes too trusting. Even though it wasn't any new information, I also liked the sequence summarizing PG's history from her own perspective. And the scenes with Kara handling her buzzing staff and some potential come-on's were actually quite cute.

The Bad

You know, there really isn't too much to gripe about here, except to say that, while it does execute the tradition well, it's not an especially new take on the solo superhero title that will really get you excited.

The Verdict - 4/5

This is a good companion piece to Winick's other stellar book this week, GENERATION LOST, showing Power Girl's perspective of Maxwell Lord's act of global deception. As dark as things get (and they do get dark), I'd describe this title as light and appealing in the best way, because that's exactly what it should be. Any readers concerned about Gray, Palmiotti and Conner's departure from this title should breath easy knowing it's in good hands.
    Taylors005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Taylors005

looks good i might have to pick it up

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By doordoor123

Its too different. I would have liked it to be somewhat similar to the previous.

Avatar image for harleyquinnhawkgirl
    harleyquinnhawkgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

User Lists: 14

Omg I am so happy that this issue was good because I was afraid that when the old writers left that it wasn't going to be as good.

shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By shawn87

cant wait to read

iloverobots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By iloverobots

Haven't read it yet (got a long bus ride tomorrow so I saved my weekly comics for that) but going through it at the store the art really struck me. It looks a lot more "serious" than what the other team was making... but it looked good. As long as the story telling just still good (and from this review I'm gonna assume it still is) I'll keep reading this

foxglove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By foxglove

I found it rather joyless. PG feels less snarky and animated. I'm heartbroken.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By gmanfromheck

Not gonna lie, I'm a little scared to read this. But I definitely am curious to see how it turns out.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By NightFang3
    @harleyquinnhawkgirl said:
    "Omg I am so happy that this issue was good because I was afraid that when the old writers left that it wasn't going to be as good. "
                 I was thinking the samething myself. 
    Dipic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dipic

Nope, don't like it. This title is dead to me.

Avatar image for 34f79wghf9bw9efh293fh293fh8
    34gwecfaisuwiueb2eiub2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I followed this title from the get go and have yet to pick up issue 13.  If it is half as good as Conner,Palmiotti and Gray than I may hang on.  Amanda Conner is superb, anyone know what she has going on next?
    Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Joe Venom

Just finished reading this and I feel that torch has been passed to a great team, while fun that Palmiotti and Gary brought to the book is gone I still enjoyed there take on PG's character and look forward to the next issue.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.