WORLDS' FINEST

• 78 results
Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the series I had really been looking forward to reading when it was first announced twelve issues ago was WORLDS' FINEST. The book, which launched following the conclusion of the six-issue HUNTRESS series, brought Helena Wayne and Karen Starr together in a single series, making them the new "dynamic duo," so-to-speak. Unfortunately for it, the series got out to a very slow start and felt very disconnected from the rest of DC's New 52 universe (something that didn't make a whole lot of sense). The series has since improved (at least the most recent issue of the series), so how can we ensure that the quality of the book remains the same, or better yet, improves? What needs to happen to keep readers coming back to this series?

If you tuned in to the Comic Vine podcast last Friday you might recall that at one point the discussion turned to the recent events of WORLDS' FINEST, the DC Comics series that focuses on the adventures of Power Girl and the Huntress. On the cover of the most recent issue (#12) readers are given a look at PG's new (old) costume: the classic white one piece, red cape and knee-high blue boots. The outfit is iconic, and it is one of the most recognizable costumes for comic fans, period, but why was Power Girl wearing it again? When the heck did this happen? Between the three of us, Tony, Corey and I completely missed the part where PG got a costume change in SUPERGIRL #19 (I blame the fact that I was in Europe the week of its release, not that that's an excuse) but still, shame on us for having missed that change. Then again, why would a change like that happen in SUPERGIRL and not in Power Girl's own series, WORLDS' FINEST?

You might recall that Power Girl's costume is among the many things that went out the window (no pun intended) with the relaunch of the New 52, and for fans of the character, that was something of a mistake on the part of editorial. Power Girl's classic costume is recognizable, and she had been wearing a version of that costume when she was first introduced to readers in ALL STAR COMICS #58 - ALL STAR SUPER SQUAD. However, when the character was re-introduced as Power Girl, she was given a completely different look: a full white body suit (that was gradually removed or burned away in nearly every issue --something that desperately needs to stop). A big change like the return of Power Girl's classic costume should have perhaps been something that happened in WORLDS' FINEST and not in SUPERGIRL. And although the character did don it in the latest issue of her series (issue #12), there did not seem to be any explanation for the change having taken place in the series. Will this alteration made to her costume be something that sticks? It might be for the best according to PG fans, but hopefully this costume won't burn away in every issue like the last one did.

One of the best issues of this series is one that we've previously praised, and that is WORLDS' FINEST #0. In it, the backstory of Helena is explored a bit and readers saw flashbacks of the relationship she had with both of her parents, something that could be explored even further if the creative team for this series really wanted to. And while we won't delve into the specifics of why this was a particularly good issue, I think what we can really take away from it is the fact that it explores in greater depth these characters that are both known and unknown to readers. In a sense, many of us have grown up with both Helena and Karen, but not with these versions of their characters and therefore we barely know them. This is why exploring their respective pasts is not only a good way to better acquaint readers with who they are now, but it is also something that connects these characters to the present DC Universe as a whole, something that this series had been seriously lacking for quite a while.

The relationship between Catwoman, Batman and Huntress isn't the only one that can be explored in greater depth, either. In issue #11 of WORLDS' FINEST we saw the reunion between Power Girl and Michael Holt, Mr. Terrific. The two characters were romantically linked prior to the launch of the WORLDS' FINEST series in Mr. Terrific's self-titled book and although the interaction between these two characters was important to the plot in MR. TERRIFIC, it isn't something that was touched on until very recently. While brief, the relationship between these two characters is important to the plot because it connects Power Girl to the rest of the DC Universe. How did she feel about the relationship? Was she (and is she) distraught over the fact that she and Michael are no longer together, and, how does that affect her as a character in the grand scheme of things? This is something that could very easily be explored, and hopefully in the coming issues writer Paul Levitz will take the time to delve into some of these issues.

Although this series is set in DC's current regular universe, these two ladies are actually heroes from EARTH 2, and that's something that sort of complicates things. As a result, this series has left these characters stuck somewhere between the two earths without a clear place in the current universe. In a sense, it sort of feels as though readers of WORLDS' FINEST are just waiting for the creative team to either make these two ladies a part of DC's regular universe, or ship them back to Earth 2. Neither of which (until very recently), has really happened. So what needs to be done? These characters need to be solidified into the current universe, which isn't something impossible to do. In fact, it's something that has already sort of started: showcasing the interaction between Damian and Huntress in issue # was a good start, and we've seen a continuation of that by featuring a Power Girl in the current Supergirl series. Now, I don't usually ask for more cross-overs, but in the case of this series I don't think that would be such a bad idea.

Needless to say, the last couple of issues of this series has improved dramatically, although it can still be better than it is. In order to keep this series on the right track the creative team needs to determine where these characters reside in the current DC Universe, what the goals of these characters are in general. What do you think of the current WORLDS' FINEST series? What would you like to see happen to these characters (Huntress and Power Girl)?

#1 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (33360 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman and Superman

#2 Edited by The Mighty Monarch (2236 posts) - - Show Bio

Fluctuated from "Good to Bad?" I think you mean "Passable to Horrendous."

#3 Edited by daredevil21134 (11769 posts) - - Show Bio

They can start by bringing back Helena Bertinelli

#4 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

Needs a new writer who doesn't treat PG like a whiny, arrogant, dimwitted, uncaring, horny teenager, whose every other line is a sexual innuendo and who sleeps with people so she can steal from them. You know, someone who treats her with respect and writes her as the strong, confident, smart, no-nonsense woman she used to be, who actually gave a damn about things other than herself and her one friend.

I am still utterly baffled at the decision to completely 180 everything that we knew and loved about her, turning her into an unrecognizable shell of her former self... then again, maybe it wasn't so much a conscious decision as sheer incompetence. Either way, a new writer is needed. No sudden costume change is going to change that.

#5 Posted by Outside_85 (8980 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a feeling that it will be swiftly surpassed by the Batman/Superman book and soon after, that pair will be in this one as well.

That said; PG needs to get a proper costume.

#7 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134 said:

Also, this.

#8 Posted by Fhiz (487 posts) - - Show Bio

A better writer can write an entertaining story and a consistent art team, not the random three artists they can get from month to month lately. Levitz's story was boring from the repetitive Huntress mini series onward, and the initial arc of this book went nowhere, at a painfully slow pace. That and his complete mishandling of Power Girl made me drop this book pretty early on, despite liking the characters.

and to think... we lose Helena Bertinelli for this... Ugh.

#9 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by RemyLeBeau (414 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Edited by kagato (247 posts) - - Show Bio

The only way i can see these characters getting any better is if they return to Earth 2 for James Robinson to write. I know its not a popular point of view but how can they be any worse than they are now? Returning Powergirl to her classic costume is DC admitting they dont know what to do with the character and are grasping at straws to try and pull back or retain some of the readers, unless i see the stars raising on this sites reviews im staying clear.

#12 Edited by Power_Guy (72 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this book for the most part. The story did start off slow but has picked up it's pace considerably within the last few issues. Now that PeeGee has her classic costume back, can the Huntress get hers too?

One thing I'm perplexed about is that this site harps on Worlds' Finest for seeming disconnected from the rest of the New 52 yet this same site gives Wonder Woman stellar reviews each month when that book is completely disconnected from the New 52.

#13 Posted by YdurZatara (12 posts) - - Show Bio

A new writer. Or a hiatus. Levitz did awesome in the Huntress mini but it as if he's got no clue as to what to do with them.

#14 Posted by YdurZatara (12 posts) - - Show Bio

@kagato said:

The only way i can see these characters getting any better is if they return to Earth 2 for James Robinson to write. I know its not a popular point of view but how can they be any worse than they are now? Returning Powergirl to her classic costume is DC admitting they dont know what to do with the character and are grasping at straws to try and pull back or retain some of the readers, unless i see the stars raising on this sites reviews im staying clear.

PREACH!

#15 Posted by 4th_wind (21 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to see Huntress meet up with Nightwing. In her first incarnation prior to Crisis on Infinite Earths, she and the Earth 2 Dick Grayson had an interesting romantic tension. Now that they don't have the direct familial connection and he isn't a lot older than she is, I think a relationship of some kind could be interesting. They wouldn't even have to have a good relationship. If she isn't conspiring to kill him, she would already be a better girlfriend than that girl Raya he went out with in the first arc of the current Nightwing series.

#16 Edited by Sakurafire (60 posts) - - Show Bio

Get Amanda Connor or Marcus To on the series as artists.

They've shown they can do well even with not-so-decent writers.

#17 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this book for the most part. The story did start off slow but has picked up it's pace considerably within the last few issues. Now that PeeGee has her classic costume back, can the Huntress get hers too?

One thing I'm perplexed about is that this site harps on Worlds' Finest for seeming disconnected from the rest of the New 52 yet this same site gives Wonder Woman stellar reviews each month when that book is completely disconnected from the New 52.

The difference is WW is a well written, well thought out series whereas WF needs a little bit of help in both departments (hence why feeling "connected" would be beneficial for them).

#18 Posted by iceslick (783 posts) - - Show Bio

Very well done article @babs! I think you guys should do more articles on series that is selling bad and needs improving. Because it gives them a voice and ideas that can make them better. I haven't read World's Finest. But I have read the Huntress mini series. I thought that mini series was great and I wonder why this one isn't as great as that. I got to check it out one day.

#19 Edited by nappystr8 (1105 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the only thing any series needs is a good creative who understands the characters and can think of interesting stories and a good editorial team who knows how to keep their distance. I don't know a whole lot about the specifics of why this book is faltering (I haven't read it, so I don't even know that it is necessarily faltering) but those two components will make just about any book good.

If you were to ask the same question of what would make Green Arrow a solid series, I doubt anyone's suggestion would look anything like the book Jeff Lemire is writing, but it's one of my favorite books right now.

#20 Posted by pspin (891 posts) - - Show Bio

The series needs a consistent creative team. Levitz is alright, if not slowly paced and Kevin Maguire has some really excellent art work but having the three artist rotation with different artists every other month is really frustrating to see because until recently, all of the art was very different.

One thing that is really dragging the book down is the whole meta-story arc of the pair trying to fight Darkseid. It doesn't work because a) they are in a different universe; and b) they literally cannot do it. Worlds' Finest is far to unpopular to have Darksied, someone who thrashed the Justice League, show up. That means that no matter what the story does, it will ultimately go nowhere. That being said an easy way to have the series improve would be for Levitz to simply end the meta-arc, it hasn't gone anywhere is 12 issues and has not been well received either, just bite the bullet, end it, and move on to something better.

#21 Posted by Power_Guy (72 posts) - - Show Bio

@babs said:

@power_guy said:

The difference is WW is a well written, well thought out series whereas WF needs a little bit of help in both departments (hence why feeling "connected" would be beneficial for them).

I get what you're trying to say but I'm sure there are people who think Worlds' Finest is well written too just as there are people who do not think Wonder Woman is well written.

I can agree with you that I would like to see more interaction between the ladies in Worlds' Finest and the rest of the New 52 but the same goes for Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman is currently catering to a niche market of mythology alone while completely ignoring her non-mythological supporting cast and rogues.

As for WF, I think it would be fun to see the Huntress and Power Girl team-up with Batgirl and Supergirl for a story arc. I also think them joining the Justice League of America could help to raise their profile.

#22 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2638 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm, what could make this train wreck work? Oh! I know!!! Destroy the universe it's based in!!! That'll be a sight to see! Then things can go back to basics!

#23 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not reading the series but if i heard more good stuff about it (if it was written better i guess) I would have no problem picking it up. I constantly hear on the podcast and in the store that this book has been slow confusing, and lost in terms of where it sits between earth 2 and main continuity. I'm glad its getting better. These are two great heroines that need to have a great book and be read. At this point the main fanbase of each hero seems to be what keeps the book moving forward. I'm really bummed for it.

#24 Posted by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravager4 said:

Needs a new writer who doesn't treat PG like a whiny, arrogant, dimwitted, uncaring, horny teenager, whose every other line is a sexual innuendo and who sleeps with people so she can steal from them. You know, someone who treats her with respect and writes her as the strong, confident, smart, no-nonsense woman she used to be, who actually gave a damn about things other than herself and her one friend.

I am still utterly baffled at the decision to completely 180 everything that we knew and loved about her, turning her into an unrecognizable shell of her former self... then again, maybe it wasn't so much a conscious decision as sheer incompetence. Either way, a new writer is needed. No sudden costume change is going to change that.

I second this.

In my opinion Paul Levitz does handle Helena a little better than he does Karen, but that's not saying much. One of my biggest complaints about this series aside from what @ravager4 mentioned, is the execution of dialogue. It feels forced, and is 98% of the time really campy. Worlds' Finest is a book that doesn't take itself serious enough. Now sometimes a book that doesn't take itself too serious is a good thing as was done early on in Power Girl's solo run in Pre-52. This book right here doesn't take itself serious at all, and is just there. There has been no real story, and the characters are just floating around. The characters need to be taken in a direction, or else it's going to continue the trend it has now.

Also, in regards of Power Girl's classic outfit. There's nothing wrong with it. People complain constantly about how the window exploits her. What exploits Power Girl are the constant jokes and changes to her bust line.

#25 Posted by queenfrost_ (2499 posts) - - Show Bio

I think something drastic like Helena Wayne is sent back to Earth-2 (not killed because death is cheap) as she realises she doesn't really fit in this world where her 'parents' are near her own age and are...far from together. And then bring in Helena Bertinelli.

Oh and let Power Girl have a complete epiphany or something and just grow the f*ck up already so she can be the Karen Starr we all know and love

#26 Posted by Perfect 10 (1052 posts) - - Show Bio

not set it in new 52. not tie it so heavily with this return to earth 2 crap they are two. either one or both would make it work. they are focusing too much on this "lets find a way back home" and the writers have nothing else to do with them but have them do nothing until the big crossover with earth 2 happens and they return home.

1. get a better writer

2. make the finding a way back home a subplot not the main focus and keep the flashbacks to a minnium. it worked for the first three issues or so but after that unnessacary. the main plot should be showing them making it in this world as people (relationships, jobs) heroes and as friends.

3. power girl should have had her original costume from the begining

4. give them a cool villain (a group perhaps)

5. dc give your writers more creative control

#27 Edited by FoxxFireArt (3554 posts) - - Show Bio

Being both on vacation and out of the nation isa good enough excuse.

Isn't DC kind of shooting themselves in the foot with the issue of Powergirl's costume? They changed it to placate the people who hated the boob window, but then they have her losing her clothes every issue. That just makes her look like some kind of idiot that can't keep her clothes on. Then there is the matter of how this Powergirl got her money. They ended up making things worse.

DC seems to think on very superficial levels. It's not all about what they character wears. It's about who they are and act like. As Corey pointed out, EMPOWERED was a satire.

It would be kind of hard to deal with Huntress' family issues. Aren't her actual parents dead? I think WORLD'S FINEST would be more interesting if they had played it off as Helena and Kara being childhood friends. You could get such great banter from long established relationships like that. Given them a deeper past.

I think Helena would hate the kind of woman Selina is in Earth 1. The poor excuse for a Tim Burton rip off.

#28 Edited by ArtisticNeedham (2244 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read the article yet, but I wanted to put my two cents in first. I read up to maybe issue 6. So maybe its different now. I liked the costumes they had in the series, I didn't mind the changes from their classics to the new versions. And i liked the friendship between Powergirl and Huntress, but the stories sort of were either going nowhere or so slow they felt like they were going nowhere. They needed some fast paces stories that helped them seem important and not just a book about two super friends who hung out and occasionally fought bad guys. That was my biggest complaint. I also think that they should have had Powergirl's costume not get ripped up so much, maybe it was to try and show how serious the threat was (like how JLU always had Superman go down first) but like JLU it became a running joke sort of. Also, the issues I read, had a lot of the superfriends splitting up to take on different things in different areas. I would have liked them to work together more and show how they worked as a team. And I agree from what I quickly read in the article, they should have explored their lives in Earth 2 more. Maybe not just their lives but that world they lived in for their teenage years. They, in one issue, started to look at social issues that effected women today, and I thought maybe that was something the series would start doing. Using Huntress and Powergirl to tackle real issues woman face today, and that could have also involved their status in the DCU, Powergirl's costume, etc. And like the article mentioned from what I read, they should have brought them in contact with their alternate Earth counterparts and family more and faster. How would Superman treat Powergirl? How would Batman treat Huntress? Especially now with what happened to Robin. And maybe the enemies they faced, in the beginning anyway, should have been more established villains from the regular DC universe. Characters like Bane, or Mr. Freeze, Harley Quinn, Metallo, or other well known but random DC bad guys. Again, I didn't read the article or passed issue 6 (I think) but it also seemed felt like they needed more characters in it, they had Huntress and Powergirl, and that was about it. No Alfred, no Commissioner Gordon, no Lois, no supporting characters really. They needed to have a cast of supporting characters, like Flash Thomspon, Harry Osborne, MJ and Gwen, Aunt May, etc. And this goes with the supporting cast, but maybe given the characters lives and stories that would take place outside their heroes lives and effect those outside lives, and include the supporting characters like a Jimmy Olsen or April O'Neil.

So, without reading the article... yet... here are my thoughts:

Needed a supporting cast,

needed civilian identities and lives away from being superheroes or from another Earth,

Faster paced stories with more resolutions, (like how the new Earth has effected them),

More interactions with well known DC chararcters, like Superman or Batman or the Flash or Wonderwoman, or supervillains like Lex Luthor or the Joker or Gorilla Grodd, etc,

#29 Posted by Shajita (35 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm having an interest in this book, but for every mediocre review I see on this site, my fire for this dies out. I only have so much cash, so I want to spend it well, and I don't think this series is gonna do it for me, until it undergoes some drastic changes. Either in the story or, more likely, in the creative team.

#30 Edited by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

bad to good? HA! that's a load of crap. this series has had only 1 decent issue. rest toilet paper.

#31 Posted by jesusdisciple001 (546 posts) - - Show Bio

What @Ravager4 said

#32 Posted by jesusdisciple001 (546 posts) - - Show Bio

What @Ravager4 said

#33 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Simple, a new creative team is needed. Yes the book has improved dramatically since its inception but it still has the potential to be so much more. It just still is off with all the things they make PG into. I don't even have anything against Huntress at this point, but PG's characterization has just been disappointing since issue one, and not even the classic boob window is going to help compensate for that. That said, this is still one of my monthlies I get but still, at times I'm almost wondering why I'm still bothering.

#34 Posted by The_Greatest_Username (142 posts) - - Show Bio

Truth

#35 Posted by YdurZatara (12 posts) - - Show Bio

not set it in new 52. not tie it so heavily with this return to earth 2 crap they are two. either one or both would make it work. they are focusing too much on this "lets find a way back home" and the writers have nothing else to do with them but have them do nothing until the big crossover with earth 2 happens and they return home.

1. get a better writer

2. make the finding a way back home a subplot not the main focus and keep the flashbacks to a minnium. it worked for the first three issues or so but after that unnessacary. the main plot should be showing them making it in this world as people (relationships, jobs) heroes and as friends.

3. power girl should have had her original costume from the begining

4. give them a cool villain (a group perhaps)

5. dc give your writers more creative control

This exactly!

#36 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1109 posts) - - Show Bio

@babs said:

@power_guy said:

I get what you're trying to say but I'm sure there are people who think Worlds' Finest is well written too just as there are people who do not think Wonder Woman is well written.

I can agree with you that I would like to see more interaction between the ladies in Worlds' Finest and the rest of the New 52 but the same goes for Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman is currently catering to a niche market of mythology alone while completely ignoring her non-mythological supporting cast and rogues.

As for WF, I think it would be fun to see the Huntress and Power Girl team-up with Batgirl and Supergirl for a story arc. I also think them joining the Justice League of America could help to raise their profile.

Yeah, but there are much more people who think that Wonder Woman is well written than those who think its not, while the opposite is true for this book. I, for one actually really like that WW is exploring her mythological roots. I remember before Flashpoint that that was something I thought DC was doing wrong with her title. In some of the stories I read, I didn't like how the gods would literally just sit on Olympus all day squabbling and the only one that Diana had any real interaction with was Ares. I always thought Wonder Woman's series should have embraced Greek myth some more. Its like Thor. Thor has his non-mythological elements and supporting cast, but a lot of his stories embrace his status as a god and derive from Norse mythology. I'm sure that Azzarello isn't going to be focusing on Greek myth forever, especially if he's go be on the book for a while. I'd love to see his take on Cheetah or Dr. Psycho or Silver Swan, but then again, most of my exposure to those characters has been outside of the Wonder Woman comics.

I really like your idea of having Power Girl and Huntress do team ups, but I'm not sure Batgirl and Supergirl would be the pair. It would be almost almost like DC saying "Well, these characters have to interact and/or be friends with one another because they're so similar." I'd actually prefer them teaming up with some other characters that wouldn't be too obvious. I actually wouldn't mind seeing one of the Green Lanterns come out of their own little part of the DCU and team up with them, especially if you're having PG and Huntress tangle with New Gods like Desaad. Maybe Kyle or Hal?

#37 Posted by mickeyangel (49 posts) - - Show Bio

Although just a little kid at the time, I remember the original Helena Wayne and Katen Star from earth 2 appearing in All star comics in the 70's. after crisis we lost Helena Wayne and she became Helena Bertinelli with much fan outrage. And Power girl had no consistent background until infinite crisis brought back her earth 2 roots. It's interesting now to see the post crisis, pre new 52 fans wanting Bertinelli back. I agree these two should go to earth 2 since they don't interact much with anyone in the reg universe. Finding a way back home has not been much of a plot point. I think huntress dealing with the new batman on earth 2 would be much more interesting. The bat verse in earth one is crowded enough.

#38 Edited by ForeverMan (142 posts) - - Show Bio

The main problem with this book is that the first 5 issues were unmitigated suck. The second biggest problem is that Kevin Maguire isn't drawing the whole book.

So yeah bad writing and bad art make for a bad comic, go figure. I'm still on it though, its been improving and I'm a pretty big sucker..

#39 Edited by Psycho_Soldier (121 posts) - - Show Bio

The thing that saves the book are the moments when we get to explore the relationships of the characters and how were their lives prior to their exit from Eearth 2, and also their reactions to this world similar but different.

The interactions with Earth 1 Supergirl & Robin in 1 issue gave them more depth than the forgettable radioactive japanese monster couldn't in what... 3/4 issues? But even tho I like the emotional parts of the book it has to be careful not to go into a nostalgic mode or get the characters stuck unable to cope with the fact that even if they go back to their world they don't really seem to have anything left.

So how do we make them grow?

Making them man eaters? No, Using them to replace fallen heroes? Mmm, Integrating them to the Bat/Supes corps?

I only got to read a few issues of Power Girl run pre FP and it was interesting, story and art wise, and grew on me, it had a Vibe similar to Batgirl & Supergirl Pre FP books that were fun and got the characters to connect with each other and characters inside the B/S family and out of it

As for her relationship with Mr Terrific.. I don't feel it, the fact that she was sort of using him for his technology tainted the relationship, I'd rather see her being pursued by Vartox & Mr T in a space adventure

#40 Posted by LaserLambert (636 posts) - - Show Bio

to make "World's Finest" a solid series? Batman and Superman.

#41 Posted by InertialAdric (2 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a hard time buying Helena and Karen as friends, they don't really seem to have much of a bond. And it's too much teenage boy fantasy fuel - needs less sex and smaller boobs

#42 Edited by danhimself (22539 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

Batman and Superman

Red Robin and Superboy

the only way that I would be happy with a Red Robin and Superboy series is if it were about the REAL Red Robin and Superboy....the ones that were so well fleshed out and had a real friendship in the original DC timeline....the way they were written in Red Robin and Geoff Johns' Superboy series....there's hardly any connection between the two now...they don't have that friendship anymore....if it were the current New 52 characters then it would just be a series about them looking at Wonder Girl

#43 Edited by Fantasgasmic (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

I would venture to say the last 3 issues have been more good than bad. I started off disliking this book but curious to see if it would materialize into something after I fell in LOVE with the Earth-2 book. To me this books salvation lies in it's relationship to Earth-2 and the Earth-1 Bat and Super Families.

I feel a bit bad saying this, but I haven't seen a single response yet that really nails down what it would take to pull this book above the 2 to 3 out of 5 star mark (at its best). The art and change in artists isn't bad enough to distract me, but that's possibly because I don't really remember the art from week to week because the book is so mediocre. As for switching Helenas, that's not gonna happen, so it's not worth talking seriously about. I agree with Babs that the sophomoric destruction of Karen's costume every issue isn't endearing, and needs to stop now that she's back in the classic look. I have no idea what @power_guy means by saying Helena needs her old costume. Hel's worn a few costumes over the years, and the current one looks just like the one she had in the DCU before the reboot, with a little wider spread to the "ears."

I don't think that

crossovers would be a good idea at this juncture, the girls need to stay isolated from the rest of Earth-1 until the logical conclusion to the storyline that's been set up. The Damian crossover was mostly wasted, and any potential squandered by his death; the Supergirl crossover went all but unnoticed. I would say a definitive no on any Batman or Superman crossovers, despite the obvious readership boost either would give, for simple story reason. Superman's microscopic vision would spot Karen's Kryptonian DNA and open a whole can of worms. After Superboy and clones became known to him from the whole H'el on Earth story, he'd probably see any Earth-1/2 differences as anomalies from an improved cloning processes, and distrust her. Batman would easily deduce Helena's parentage and after the stuff with Leviathan and the Heretic he'd probably assume she's connected to that whole mess. If there would be a crossover, I'd say it should be Catwoman, maybe Lois, or Orion.

Like I mentioned earlier, the ladies need to stay isolated until their storyline's logical conclusion. I have a lot of problems with a lot of books, and 90% of the time the solution is the same, like it is here. What can save this book is a clear vision of the story, and where it needs to go. Whether thru a different writing team, stronger editorial oversight, or some third option I can't think of.

Although it started out boring and confusing with all that Sea of Japan nonsense, and bland corporate espionage, the arrival of Desaad has clear implications. Darkseid will make another move against Earth-1, and the Worlds' Finest will step up to save their adopted home. If it were up to me, I'd do 3 or 4 issue mini-event with Justice League and JLA where Darkseid ambushes Earth. He was able to send Desaad without detection, maybe Kalibak shows up as well (I keep expecting to see him in Wonder Woman's book). JLA's whole scope is focused around (not trusting the Justice League, and) stopping those kinds of threats.

Stopping an Apokoliptan (…Apokoliptian? …from Apokolips) threat would certainly help them get some closure since their Earth didn't fare as well in the invasion. It would be a great reveal to the Earth-1 heroes that would cement them as powerhouses, and as trustworthy. Taking out a less threatening villain might be a decent way to reveal their existance, but after H'el, or the referenced time the League invited Martian Manhunter to join, or The Elite (assuming What's so Funny About Truth, Justice, & The American Way is still canon) heroes may still be skeptical about new heroes actually being good, for lack of a better term.

Plus Darkseid, or his minions could also grant them access to the kind of technology that could help them eventually/temporarily get back to Earth-2, or bring Michael Holt back from there. It would open up the main DCnU to the multiverse again, and could even serve to have another Flash of Two Worlds type story. The success of Injustice: Gods Among Us shows that the public still loves multiverse crossover stories. Even if they're unable to cross the dimensional barrier or whatever, if they could communicate with their home-dimension and know their loved ones are ok, and that more Wonders have shown up to protect it, that would give them the peace of mind to really devote their attention to the main Earth.

Anyway, that's my rambling 2¢. Thoughts?

#44 Posted by M3th (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

This series will get cancelled soon.

#45 Posted by ScarletBatman (365 posts) - - Show Bio

The series had such great potential. It was essentially Batman/Superman comic but with fresh and interesting characters. However, the story was slow paced and odd at points. It has slowly become better but at a snails pace. The real problem with the comic is the art team, which can vary from panel to panel, issue to issue. It has never felt like a cohesive whole, just a jumbled mess.

I think the (obviously) unforeseen death of Damian really damaged a powerful and moving story element in the comic. If Paul Levitz had known about Damian dying, he could have easily switched over to, say, Grayson or Drake as potential lead ins to the Bat Family. Damian's dead and now that entire plot thread has gone with him. Add into this the fact that Batman and Superman's latest storylines have really shattered any chance of Clark or Bruce coming into Karen's or Helena's lives and it's easy to see why this title is flailing around.

Additionally, Karen can't really go back to Earth 2. Her power level would throw off the Justice Society's power level and really make her the de facto leader (which is something few fans of Earth 2 would enjoy).

Where do these two women belong? They don't belong on their home world and they don't fit into their respective families of titles. That means they have to forge their own path, which - as for right now - is cancellation. :(

#46 Posted by Nightwing4 (363 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman and Batman.

#47 Posted by Rich711 (259 posts) - - Show Bio
@ravager4 said:

Hearing it described like that makes me wonder how I have missed it. It sounds tacky and awesome!

#48 Edited by Mrfuzzynutz (1061 posts) - - Show Bio

They lost focus from being survivors from Earth 2. The issues should be about them trying to discover home to get home, and NOT being noticed by the other heroes in the process.

They have battled some really lame villians and have not answered any subplots as of yet.

I think it works best with a solid and consistent art team, and the interaction to their counterparts on this new earth. But the glowing monsters and such have been dull and out of focus

#49 Edited by RDClip (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

The best way to improve this series is the get Levitz off writing duty and get a writer that cares about the characters and is passionate about the series. So far, it seems that Levitz is just going through the motions with a boring meandering story with very little in the way of an overall plot. The largest complaint with the writing is that Power Girl has lost almost all the character traits that made her awsome that were developed by writers like Roy Thomas, Geoff Johns and Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray.

The sales of Worlds Finest have not been good and I am in fear that Power Girl and Huntress will be without a series again (and this time PG doesn't have JSA to co-star in)

#50 Posted by blackkitty (327 posts) - - Show Bio

Power Girl is one of my favorite characters and solely due to her I collected the first few issues of this series but, this isn't Power Girl. I'm not sure who this person is, she looks like her... kinda. But she acts nothing like her at all. Also, I LOVED her previous series, the humor really played well to the character. This one, just seemed forced. It's like the writer is going through the motions, but the love simply isn't there and I feel the book really suffers for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.