Why can't power girl get a boyfriend?

• 68 results
Posted by dewboy01 (1876 posts) - - Show Bio

can someone want to tell me that?
#1 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

no offense, but this topic has been addressed before.

#2 Posted by Mumbles (846 posts) - - Show Bio

she could beat up almost anybody. nobody can toss her around.(maybe superman.)

#3 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mumbles said:
" she could beat up almost anybody. nobody can toss her around.(maybe superman.) "
well, i guess that's true...
#4 Edited by Darkmount1 (1276 posts) - - Show Bio

Because she's a semi-feministic character?  (Though I think she and Doctor Mid-Nite (Pieter Cross) would make a good couple.)
#5 Posted by achilles100 (207 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, as of Power Girl #25, she's apparently having a romance with someone, so I guess she can at least date somewhat successfully. 

#6 Posted by Theworldbreaker (1642 posts) - - Show Bio

Because her face is sometimes or often drawn as either "meh" or UGLY it doesn't matter how huge her tits are.
#7 Posted by destruct0 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I still think she's a big lesbian.  Everything about her (except the giant boobs) screams lesbian lol.  And I'd support that 100%! XD

#8 Posted by Johnni_Kun (289 posts) - - Show Bio
@destruct0:  I know you are joking, but I have always kind of got that feeling from reading her books. But, I could be just looking into in too much, like people do with Tim Drake.
#9 Posted by Mercy_ (92704 posts) - - Show Bio
@destruct0 said:
" Personally, I still think she's a big lesbian.  Everything about her (except the giant boobs) screams lesbian lol.  And I'd support that 100%! XD "
Because that's not generalizing at all. 
#10 Posted by destruct0 (25 posts) - - Show Bio
@Johnni_Kun: Really in all seriousness I think she should be a lesbian. Her and Atlee I think have more chemistry than most other hero-couples I've seen in comic books.
#11 Posted by destruct0 (25 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: -shrug- Take it how you will, but I know I didn't mean any offence by it.  I just think having Power Girl be a lesbian would be a interesting plot development and would make sense to me.
#12 Posted by achilles100 (207 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, about that lesbian thing.  I know a few fans seem to want it, some more seriously than others, but it would be out of the blue.  There's nothing at all in PG's history that suggests she plays for that team.  In fact, there's everything to indicate she's interested in men only.  Like about a thousand cases of her trying to get together with one or the other, wishing she could, or just admiring a Dick Grayson or an android who looks vaguely like him, (and is shirtless).

Which isn't to say that other DC women are interested in her---witness what she monologued about Crimson Fox back in the day...

#13 Posted by ZoddGuts (74 posts) - - Show Bio
@achilles100: Exactly. She's already shown to be interested in men. She also has a thing for Dick Grayson, funny thing is it also parallels Supergirl's crush for Grayson as well.
#14 Posted by achilles100 (207 posts) - - Show Bio
@zoddguts: Interestingly, Dick and Karen are both almost universally very much admired/wanted by the opposite sex among the DCU heroes.
#15 Posted by destruct0 (25 posts) - - Show Bio
@achilles100:  Ah, isn't all the Dick Grayson 'stuff' in the newer string of PG comics though?  I haven't been as eagerly keeping up to date on the Power Girl comics since the writer change.  They just seem depressing and not nearly as fun as they once were. Plus, they completely exclude Atlee except for a single panel with an out of date joke..  I still think that in the Justin Gray, Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner run; she had the strongest relationship she's had with any character in a Long time.  Some how I've seemed to miss all these occasions that she shows to be interested in men (Let alone Thousands of attempts at men lol), I've always thought it seemed like she wants nothing to do with them; extra aggressive and short fused with them.
#16 Posted by ZoddGuts (74 posts) - - Show Bio

True but the series has started to pick up since issue 18. It's still not as funny as the earlier issues but it's gotten better. I do wish they'll bring back Atlee soon.

#17 Posted by destruct0 (25 posts) - - Show Bio
@zoddguts: Ah okay. I'll have to pick up the last couple then.  It was just getting annoying like "Lets see how PG get screwed over and her ass kicked today!" T_T  I am also hopeful for the return of Atlee. NOT Just because I think they should be a couple, but I think the character has loads of potential is very cool.  It's a shame she's not in more comics..
#18 Posted by ZoddGuts (74 posts) - - Show Bio

She needs to be in more Superman big events, a bit unfair that Supergirl and Superboy are allowed to be in it but not Power Girl. Here's hoping that will change, Superman did guest star in her recent issue. Also possibily be  integrated with Supe's "family", last time I remember she didn't leave with Supe's mom in good terms.

#19 Edited by theik2 (207 posts) - - Show Bio

If PG wants a guy she needs to be more gentle and less threatening when in non-crime fighting situations.  She makes most men seem inferior.  She seems bitter towards men so I think she could be a lesbian.
#20 Posted by destruct0 (25 posts) - - Show Bio
@theik2: Agreed.
#21 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick Grayson?
Why not?

#22 Posted by Wattup (648 posts) - - Show Bio

She should have Martian Manhunter's baby. You know how cute mixed species babies can be... 8 )

#23 Posted by ZoddGuts (74 posts) - - Show Bio

lol Guess that would be interesting too see how that would turn out. Miss Martian doesn't look bad herself.

#24 Posted by mewmdude77 (993 posts) - - Show Bio

No one wants a broken pelvis is what it is!!

#25 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio
@mewmdude77 said:
" No one wants a broken pelvis is what it is!! "
Indeed, that cheesy movie with Uma Thurman comes to mind.
#26 Posted by Queen Ororo (56 posts) - - Show Bio

This question is asked improperly.Power Girl is fully capable of getting a boyfriend.Finding one is acceptable is the issue.

#27 Posted by achilles100 (207 posts) - - Show Bio

IIRC, most of her perspective boyfriends have wound up either needing medical or dental care, or ran away screaming...

#28 Posted by mewmdude77 (993 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget said:
" @mewmdude77 said:
" No one wants a broken pelvis is what it is!! "
Indeed, that cheesy movie with Uma Thurman comes to mind. "
broken pelvis is why Batman will never get with Wonder Woman!!
#29 Posted by ZoddGuts (74 posts) - - Show Bio
@achilles100:  Well can she simply put Red sunlight type bulbs in her bedroom to take away her super strength to make it safe? Isn't what Superman does to be with Louis?
#30 Posted by solarisia (55 posts) - - Show Bio
@zoddguts said:
" @achilles100:  Well can she simply put Red sunlight type bulbs in her bedroom to take away her super strength to make it safe? Isn't what Superman does to be with Louis? "

I never heard that? Is that true?
#31 Posted by ZoddGuts (74 posts) - - Show Bio
@solarisia:  Just assuming since there's been scenes hinting/showing Superman/Louis having slept together. In the All-Star Superman cartoon movie it's shown that they had slept together off screen. Sleeping together with he's full powers would pretty much kill/hurt Louis right? Using the red sunlight type bulbs would be useful for them.
#32 Posted by achilles100 (207 posts) - - Show Bio
@zoddguts: Don't know, since it's never actually been shown in continuity.  In fact, since red sunlight doesn't seem to depower them either completely or quickly to the level where they wouldn't hurt a human, and makes them feel weak, (and likely unable to perform), it seems a poor solution.  Even assuming that a few lamps can do what it normally takes an entire red sun to manage, or at least an exotic weapon based on red sunlight.

But like I said, it hurts and weakens them, not the best solution to a romantic interlude.

Plus, what I said about PG's love life IS cannon.  She has mentioned hurting would-be partners, and mentioned scaring them off.  Poor thing...

Maybe magic could help.  PG visiting Zatanna for a magic condom...
#33 Posted by ZoddGuts (74 posts) - - Show Bio

Red Sunlight doesn't hurt  kryptonians, it only de-powers them unlike  kryptonite.

Red Sun Radiation: Natural in Krypton's planetary system, red solar radiation replaces the higher-yield yellow solar energy in Superman's cells, robbing him of the fuel for his powers. This process does not have the painful, crippling and fever-like symptoms of Kryptonite, and essentially leaves him with the normal health and abilities of a human in his size and shape, as it did for the entire population of Krypton during its existence. Exposure to Yellow Sunlight causes his powers to return. 

#34 Posted by achilles100 (207 posts) - - Show Bio
@zoddguts said:
" Red Sunlight doesn't hurt  kryptonians, it only de-powers them unlike  kryptonite.

Red Sun Radiation: Natural in Krypton's planetary system, red solar radiation replaces the higher-yield yellow solar energy in Superman's cells, robbing him of the fuel for his powers. This process does not have the painful, crippling and fever-like symptoms of Kryptonite, and essentially leaves him with the normal health and abilities of a human in his size and shape, as it did for the entire population of Krypton during its existence. Exposure to Yellow Sunlight causes his powers to return. 

"
Perhaps "hurt" was the wrong word.  Though in practice, it certainly seems to, since I've seen them screaming when hit by red sun weapons.  And it certainly makes them feel wiped out, as I've seen that too.  both in recent comics I might add---so it might be assumed to be cannon.
#35 Posted by The Stegman (24438 posts) - - Show Bio

i don't think she WANTS a boyfriend, if she did, it would be easy as cake to get one, i mean come on she's hot AND a superhero!

#36 Edited by solarisia (55 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Stegman said:

"i don't think she WANTS a boyfriend, if she did, it would be easy as cake to get one, i mean come on she's hot AND a superhero! "

you're totally ignoring the point of the problem which has been discussed earlier in the thread.  She's affraid of hurting someone she cares about.

on that note...

I  know it's been mentioned that in cannon she's hurt people or scared them off but is there any actually reference to her trying to be... intimate?

#37 Posted by achilles100 (207 posts) - - Show Bio
@solarisia said:
" @The Stegman said:

"i don't think she WANTS a boyfriend, if she did, it would be easy as cake to get one, i mean come on she's hot AND a superhero! "

you're totally ignoring the point of the problem which has been discussed earlier in the thread.  She's affraid of hurting someone she cares about.

on that note...

I  know it's been mentioned that in cannon she's hurt people or scared them off but is there any actually reference to her trying to be... intimate?

"
Depends on if you consider French kissing to be that.  Though there were times in JLE where she was going to, only to be interrupted.  A later JSA story by Levitz, (the Gentleman Ghost fill-in before the renumbering), strongly implied she had done the deed, as he could touch her, and not Stargirl, a virgin.
#38 Posted by Aero_gt (840 posts) - - Show Bio

Powergirl = Death by snu snu...
#39 Posted by dewboy01 (1876 posts) - - Show Bio

she has an attractive, sexy body, icluding her boobs and ass.

#40 Edited by PowerGirlFan (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@destructO Having chemistry with a person of the same sex doesn't make one a homosexual nor is it a reason to make PG a lesbian. I don't see why it would be an interesting plot development either. How many times have we seen homosexual characters or "coming out" stories in fiction in general? It's nothing new. It's as no more of a novelty than aliens invading earth. PG is interesting just the way she is. Making her a lesbian to make her her personality traits "fit" her sexuality would just take away the unusuality of those traits, which is what makes them interesting.

Regarding the OP: She recently did have a boyfriend - PG and Mr. T were an item until recently. He's a regular human and we saw her sitting in his couch dressed in one of his shirts, so the super-strength obviously doesn't stop her from having sex with males of normal vulnerability. Kryptonians can perform normal activities without breaking things, and that somehow must apply to involuntary actions as well (in this case orgasm). Did Clark Kent break a urinal at the Daily Planet each time he peed?

However, I do recall PG talking about how her heavy breathing tore her lingerie whenever she was on a date.

#41 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

¿jealous fanboys?

#42 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

The same reason for why Spidey cannot be happily married with MJ.

#43 Posted by a88378438 (3420 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerGirlFan said:

@destructO Having chemistry with a person of the same sex doesn't make one a homosexual nor is it a reason to make PG a lesbian. I don't see why it would be an interesting plot development either. How many times have we seen homosexual characters or "coming out" stories in fiction in general? It's nothing new. It's as no more of a novelty than aliens invading earth. PG is interesting just the way she is. Making her a lesbian to make her her personality traits "fit" her sexuality would just take away the unusuality of those traits, which is what makes them interesting.

Regarding the OP: She recently did have a boyfriend - PG and Mr. T were an item until recently. He's a regular human and we saw her sitting in his couch dressed in one of his shirts, so the super-strength obviously doesn't stop her from having sex with males of normal vulnerability. Kryptonians can perform normal activities without breaking things, and that somehow must apply to involuntary actions as well (in this case orgasm). Did Clark Kent break a urinal at the Daily Planet each time he peed?

However, I do recall PG talking about how her heavy breathing tore her lingerie whenever she was on a date.

who is Mr. T?and, this which comic??

#44 Posted by PowerGirlFan (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@a88378438: Mister Terrific, in "Mister Terriffic" (new 52 title), beginning with #1.

#45 Posted by a88378438 (3420 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerGirlFan said:

@a88378438: Mister Terrific, in "Mister Terriffic" (new 52 title), beginning with #1.

thank you

#46 Posted by a88378438 (3420 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerGirlFan:

her heavy breathing tore her lingerie whenever she was on a date.

Wow, can you tell me about?

Very interested in

#47 Posted by PowerGirlFan (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@a88378438: PG said this in her Justice League Europe/Justice League International days (in the 1990s). I don't know the issue number. She was at a pajama party with some other female superheroes and non-supers and they were talking about embarrassing things that happen on dates. PG mentioned this, expecting others in the group to have had the same experience, and there was just an awkward silence and I think Wonder Woman just said "Er, no." Possibly the implication was that PG's heavy breathing and much larger boobs combined to cause her clothes to rip.

#48 Posted by a88378438 (3420 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerGirlFan said:

@a88378438: PG said this in her Justice League Europe/Justice League International days (in the 1990s). I don't know the issue number. She was at a pajama party with some other female superheroes and non-supers and they were talking about embarrassing things that happen on dates. PG mentioned this, expecting others in the group to have had the same experience, and there was just an awkward silence and I think Wonder Woman just said "Er, no." Possibly the implication was that PG's heavy breathing and much larger boobs combined to cause her clothes to rip.

LOL, interested in

I think, powergirl underwear, need known to man the hard metal, and folding

#49 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
this.

@ZoddGuts said:

She needs to be in more Superman big events, a bit unfair that Supergirl and Superboy are allowed to be in it but not Power Girl. Here's hoping that will change, Superman did guest star in her recent issue. Also possibily be integrated with Supe's "family", last time I remember she didn't leave with Supe's mom in good terms.
#50 Posted by achilles100 (207 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerGirlFan said:

Actually, PG finished her story, looked around and realized how it went over, then said awkwardly "not like anything like that ever happened to me", to which Wonder Woman replied "Of course not, Kara". Wonder Woman herself had her own funny stry to tell in fact, as part of a "your most embarrassing moment" Hers was actually about coming out in "some frilly thing" to her date, who ran because he was scared of her muscles.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.