The Corporate Rape of Power Girl

Posted by Delphic (1463 posts) - - Show Bio
Ummm.....
WOW !?!

With the rise of new 52, female sexuality has become more expressive in DC comics than it has in the past. This first became evident in early issues of Catwoman and Red Hood and the Outlaws. Readers were surprised to see Catwoman having sex with Batman on a rooftop in such graphic detail, while fans saw Starfire seemingly becoming a creature of sexual promiscuity that had no real care of who she slept with, or recollection afterwards. Thankfully for Starfire things were explored within deeper detail, and we came to see that Starfire was much more than what we originally were presented with so the shock value was initially forgiven. With Catwoman though, it sort of faded from the minds and forum posts of readers as time passed.

The Worlds' Finest

DC Comics seeming need to express more sexuality in comics has not ceased though even in the newest waves of new 52 that have come out. In Worlds’ Finest we see Helena Wayne (Huntress) and Kara Zor-L (Power Girl) strives to find a way back to their home of Earth 2. Many things about this comic have had fans torn. You have fans upset that Huntress is now Helena Wayne instead of the now gone Helena Bertinelli, and on the other side you have fans that are upset about Power Girl’s change in costume. That is not all that has changed though.

He thought it was funny

Longtime fans of Power Girl will notice that much has changed with the beloved character. Before we talk about what has changed we need to first mention what fans came to love about the character, or acknowledge the character as being. Since she was created Power Girl has been exploited, and been a sort of running joke for writers and artists at DC. The largest source of the joke lies with Power Girl’s original costume, which contained a circular hole in the chest of the costume that exposed much of Power Girl’s excessive cleavage. At the time of her creation there was a rumor going around that her creator Wally Wood was intentionally changing the size of her breasts as sort of a running gag to see if the fans would notice.

New Begining, Amazing Run

Since then the joke continued, and in the 2009 run of Power Girl the sexual nature of the joke became integrated into Power Girl’s character making for an aloof character that wasn’t meant to be taken seriously and often times was even a little funny. In doing that Power Girl became loved by even more as more readers flocked to her book. Even when the book changed creative hands, and took on a more serious tone fans still enjoyed the new Power Girl and loved how she had developed.

Miss Star in all her...ummm...Glory

With the new 52 though, a sort of exchange happened in most books where sex was only just mentioned was actually pushed to the forefront of a character. With Power Girl it was as if a direct exchange was made. The “Boob Window” was done away with and replaced with a full body suit, and her breast sized was reduced, so far so good right? Wrong. Instead of a running gag, the sex became a serious part of the character. In Worlds’ Finest Kara has been represented as beyond promiscuous in her attitude. At times she is even comes across as slutty, and I really hate using that word, so that’s saying something. Since her arrival in the New 52 she has slept with Michael Holt (which was fine, and was actually even an interesting development in the relationship of two character that have been associated with one another), and several other un-named persons as suggest by Kara herself in issue #3 of Worlds’ Finest.

So what is DC’s game plan with all of this? It would seem to me that DC is stick to the old “Sex Sells” approach. Now in my opinion I think there is nothing wrong with sex in a story, but it can be overdone, and DC in my opinion has definitely been over doing it. When sex intrudes on a character, and overrides the very fabric that has long been associated with that character the fan base will shift, ultimately leaving that character with fewer fans than it initially had. In the case of Power Girl it’s still early in the game for Worlds’ Finest, so hopefully things can pick back up by taking the focus of the promiscuity of Kara Zor-L, and judging by the actions of the creators with other books that probably will happen, but the question remains: will it develop into a mediocre book, or something that is actually decent? Most likely, but for fans of Kara Zor-L this will remain one of the less than stellar moments in the history of Power Girl.

Thought you wanted to change the world too?
#1 Edited by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

I applaud you for hitting on some of the finer points of why I strongly dislike this new version of power girl... well, I can barely consider her power girl anymore. As far as I'm concerned, it's someone else running around with her name. I'm not overly convinced that Helena was the only one stealing people's identities. As for the book itself, I've already dropped it. I gave it three issues, but found it to be dull, uninteresting, and I couldn't stand to see one of my favorite characters so poorly portrayed any longer.

R.I.P Pre-52 Kara, you will be missed.

*breaks out the bagpipes*

#2 Posted by sinestro_GL (3050 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, with the changes that DC brought in with the new 52, we all knew that some changes would be great, whilst we were prepared and accepted that other changes may not be as well received.

Unfortunately, it happened to one of your favourite pre-DCnU characters.

#3 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Great blog, but I wouldn't use the word "rape" in this context because it somewhat trivializes it's actual meaning.

#4 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@Delphic: You sir have won the internet

#5 Posted by Vance Astro (91110 posts) - - Show Bio

 I personally don't get the point of trying to push Power Girl when her and Supergirl are technically the same person. 

Moderator
#6 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

I love how the title is

"CORPORATE RAPE"

and the actual post is just like "This is a less than stellar time in her history."

False advertising.

#7 Posted by PowerGirlFan (246 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't get your point. Sex with Michael Holt and mention of sex with several other persons makes her "beyond promiscuous" and "slutty"? Her reduced boob size is "good"? This supposed promiscuity (or beyond) is the least of my problems with this book. Give her a decent artist, hair-do and costume and then we can talk about other problems, though I'd be happy with that.

#8 Edited by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved the 2009 run. It's one of my favorite comics in the world, specially when Conner was on the job, the art was just awesomastic!!!

@Vance Astro: that's kinda what I like about Powergirl, is that she is totally not Supergirl, even though she was supposed to be, atleast in other universe

#9 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Delphic said: ,

With the new 52 though, a sort of exchange happened in most books where sex was only just mentioned was actually pushed to the forefront of a character. With Power Girl it was as if a direct exchange was made. The “Boob Window” was done away with and replaced with a full body suit, and her breast sized was reduced, so far so good right? Wrong. Instead of a running gag, the sex became a serious part of the character. In Worlds’ Finest Kara has been represented as beyond promiscuous in her attitude. At times she is even comes across as slutty, and I really hate using that word, so that’s saying something. Since her arrival in the New 52 she has slept with Michael Holt (which was fine, and was actually even an interesting development in the relationship of two character that have been associated with one another), and several other un-named persons as suggest by Kara herself in issue #3 of Worlds’ Finest.

So what is DC’s game plan with all of this? It would seem to me that DC is stick to the old “Sex Sells” approach. Now in my opinion I think there is nothing wrong with sex in a story, but it can be overdone, and DC in my opinion has definitely been over doing it. When sex intrudes on a character, and overrides the very fabric that has long been associated with that character the fan base will shift, ultimately leaving that character with fewer fans than it initially had. In the case of Power Girl it’s still early in the game for Worlds’ Finest, so hopefully things can pick back up by taking the focus of the promiscuity of Kara Zor-L, and judging by the actions of the creators with other books that probably will happen, but the question remains: will it develop into a mediocre book, or something that is actually decent? Most likely, but for fans of Kara Zor-L this will remain one of the less than stellar moments in the history of Power Girl.

This is beyond ridiculous.

BEYOND RIDICULOUS.

Conversation goes.

Helena: You see parademons under every bed
Kara: Well..... Not under every bed
Helena: KARA! *smacks kara
Kara: What?

Its official guys, Kara is a slut because of this sentence where she may or may not have slept with more than one man. Also note, its doesn't matter if that guy was her boyfriend, her date or just a fling.

Yups, Kara is a slut because she may or may not have slept with more than one man.

Hey ladies, this is what Delphic is telling you. If you slept with your boyfriend (more than one) you are considered "beyond promiscuous" and even come across as "slutty".

So quick question for OP, have you slept with more than one women? If yes, does that make you a manwhore? Or does this applies only for women.

Here are a list of characters than have slept with more than one person.

Bruce Wayne

Dick Grayson

Oliver Queen

most of the xmen.

Batwoman

Daredevil

Black Cat

etc etc etc

#10 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

she got royaly screwed.

#11 Posted by Delphic (1463 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrock85 said:

Great blog, but I wouldn't use the word "rape" in this context because it somewhat trivializes it's actual meaning.

@InnerVenom123 said:

I love how the title is

"CORPORATE RAPE"

and the actual post is just like "This is a less than stellar time in her history."

False advertising.

Not exactly fellows. I did some rather hard thinking before using Corporate Rape in the title. A rape is as everyone knows a forced assault of a sexual nature on an unwilling person or persons. When you look back on Kara Zor-L's history the "sex sells" approach is all she's ever really been used for. Pre-52 it was sort of a running gag, and it started to disappear a little causing her to develop into an actual character rather than a joke. Yet when DC comics came out with their new 52 and changed things it seemed as if Corporate decided up the sexual nature of all characters. One was Power Girl. Corporate decided it was better to throw away all development of the character, and instead make her seem more loose and flirty. In a way at least to me, that is a forced action taken against the action of other creative teams that have worked on Power Girl. DC seems to have decided to do away with all development in favor of a more sexual nature. That's why I chose "Corporate Rape" other than "RIP Power Girl" or something like that. It's all the direct result of executive meddling.@PowerGirlFan said:

I don't get your point. Sex with Michael Holt and mention of sex with several other persons makes her "beyond promiscuous" and "slutty"? Her reduced boob size is "good"? This supposed promiscuity (or beyond) is the least of my problems with this book. Give her a decent artist, hair-do and costume and then we can talk about other problems, though I'd be happy with that.

As I said in the blog inside of parenthesis, the sex with Micheal Holt didn't bother me. I actually thought that was an interesting development, because the two character have always been involved with one another (as friends) since before the New 52 came out. Also the reduced boob size thing was me being sarcastic, but I guess not everyone will pick up on that. The definition of Promiscuity is the practice of a person having casual sex with multiple partners, but I'm going to suppose that you already knew that. In the under lying meaning and actions of Kara's words and behavoir to Helena in issue #3 it suggests that she is promiscuous. Kara pre-52 was not this way. Instead the sexual nature of Kara was sort of a running gag with the use of lines like "Eyes up here" or through comments made by other characters. It was during this time that Kara began to develop anymore than she had in the past, but when DC made its new 52 they decided to do away with all development that had been made (and Kara is not the only one they've done this too).

#12 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11076 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with the OP. People complain about Powergirl being exploited too much, but that's who the character is.

#13 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

I agree with the OP. People complain about Powergirl being exploited too much, but that's who the character is.

The OP is complaining that Powergirl is being exploited too much.

#14 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Delphic said:

@jrock85 said:

Great blog, but I wouldn't use the word "rape" in this context because it somewhat trivializes it's actual meaning.

@InnerVenom123 said:

I love how the title is

"CORPORATE RAPE"

and the actual post is just like "This is a less than stellar time in her history."

False advertising.

Not exactly fellows. I did some rather hard thinking before using Corporate Rape in the title. A rape is as everyone knows a forced assault of a sexual nature on an unwilling person or persons. When you look back on Kara Zor-L's history the "sex sells" approach is all she's ever really been used for. Pre-52 it was sort of a running gag, and it started to disappear a little causing her to develop into an actual character rather than a joke. Yet when DC comics came out with their new 52 and changed things it seemed as if Corporate decided up the sexual nature of all characters. One was Power Girl. Corporate decided it was better to throw away all development of the character, and instead make her seem more loose and flirty. In a way at least to me, that is a forced action taken against the action of other creative teams that have worked on Power Girl. DC seems to have decided to do away with all development in favor of a more sexual nature. That's why I chose "Corporate Rape" other than "RIP Power Girl" or something like that. It's all the direct result of executive meddling.@PowerGirlFan said:

I don't get your point. Sex with Michael Holt and mention of sex with several other persons makes her "beyond promiscuous" and "slutty"? Her reduced boob size is "good"? This supposed promiscuity (or beyond) is the least of my problems with this book. Give her a decent artist, hair-do and costume and then we can talk about other problems, though I'd be happy with that.

As I said in the blog inside of parenthesis, the sex with Micheal Holt didn't bother me. I actually thought that was an interesting development, because the two character have always been involved with one another (as friends) since before the New 52 came out. Also the reduced boob size thing was me being sarcastic, but I guess not everyone will pick up on that. The definition of Promiscuity is the practice of a person having casual sex with multiple partners, but I'm going to suppose that you already knew that. In the under lying meaning and actions of Kara's words and behavoir to Helena in issue #3 it suggests that she is promiscuous. Kara pre-52 was not this way. Instead the sexual nature of Kara was sort of a running gag with the use of lines like "Eyes up here" or through comments made by other characters. It was during this time that Kara began to develop anymore than she had in the past, but when DC made its new 52 they decided to do away with all development that had been made (and Kara is not the only one they've done this too).

which line in worlds' finest suggest casual sex with multiple sex partners?

#15 Posted by Delphic (1463 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@Delphic said: ,

With the new 52 though, a sort of exchange happened in most books where sex was only just mentioned was actually pushed to the forefront of a character. With Power Girl it was as if a direct exchange was made. The “Boob Window” was done away with and replaced with a full body suit, and her breast sized was reduced, so far so good right? Wrong. Instead of a running gag, the sex became a serious part of the character. In Worlds’ Finest Kara has been represented as beyond promiscuous in her attitude. At times she is even comes across as slutty, and I really hate using that word, so that’s saying something. Since her arrival in the New 52 she has slept with Michael Holt (which was fine, and was actually even an interesting development in the relationship of two character that have been associated with one another), and several other un-named persons as suggest by Kara herself in issue #3 of Worlds’ Finest.

So what is DC’s game plan with all of this? It would seem to me that DC is stick to the old “Sex Sells” approach. Now in my opinion I think there is nothing wrong with sex in a story, but it can be overdone, and DC in my opinion has definitely been over doing it. When sex intrudes on a character, and overrides the very fabric that has long been associated with that character the fan base will shift, ultimately leaving that character with fewer fans than it initially had. In the case of Power Girl it’s still early in the game for Worlds’ Finest, so hopefully things can pick back up by taking the focus of the promiscuity of Kara Zor-L, and judging by the actions of the creators with other books that probably will happen, but the question remains: will it develop into a mediocre book, or something that is actually decent? Most likely, but for fans of Kara Zor-L this will remain one of the less than stellar moments in the history of Power Girl.

This is beyond ridiculous.

BEYOND RIDICULOUS.

Conversation goes.

Helena: You see parademons under every bed
Kara: Well..... Not under every bed
Helena: KARA! *smacks kara
Kara: What?

Its official guys, Kara is a slut because of this sentence where she may or may not have slept with more than one man. Also note, its doesn't matter if that guy was her boyfriend, her date or just a fling.

Yups, Kara is a slut because she may or may not have slept with more than one man.

Hey ladies, this is what Delphic is telling you. If you slept with your boyfriend (more than one) you are considered "beyond promiscuous" and even come across as "slutty".

So quick question for OP, have you slept with more than one women? If yes, does that make you a manwhore? Or does this applies only for women.

Here are a list of characters than have slept with more than one person.

Bruce Wayne

Dick Grayson

Oliver Queen

most of the xmen.

Batwoman

Daredevil

Black Cat

etc etc etc

I like how you used one page, and didn't continue with the rest. the line Kara uses after that is "Just checking comparative anatomy" and is drawn in such a manner where every male in the panel is checking her out. The next suggestive panel to my argument is when her assistant describes Micheal Holt as "hands on" and Kara's immediate action is to dress up and reply "Let's see how hands on he is." In my opinion though from this was developed one of the more interesting sexual representations of Kara. Kara and Michael being friends with benefits is actually okay. There is actual interaction there.

The point of the entire blog is what DC comics is doing with Power Girl, not Power Girl herself. DC has done away with any development that was made with her since Pre 52, and made her more promiscuous in place of the running gag which made the 2009 run popular.

As far as every single one of these characters that you've mentioned most of them have at least had some sort of passion or emotion in their sexual activity. DC is apparently not doing that with Kara. They did with her relationship with Micheal Holt, which I have said myself that was actually interesting. I would have actually liked to have seen more develop there.

Also I would appreciate you not putting words in my mouth. I could care less if a woman has sex with their boyfriend, regardless of how many they have had. That's their business. That doesn't make them "sluts" in my eyes either. So next time before you state what my intention is be sure you actually know it.

#16 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Delphic said:

@sethysquare said:

@Delphic said: ,

With the new 52 though, a sort of exchange happened in most books where sex was only just mentioned was actually pushed to the forefront of a character. With Power Girl it was as if a direct exchange was made. The “Boob Window” was done away with and replaced with a full body suit, and her breast sized was reduced, so far so good right? Wrong. Instead of a running gag, the sex became a serious part of the character. In Worlds’ Finest Kara has been represented as beyond promiscuous in her attitude. At times she is even comes across as slutty, and I really hate using that word, so that’s saying something. Since her arrival in the New 52 she has slept with Michael Holt (which was fine, and was actually even an interesting development in the relationship of two character that have been associated with one another), and several other un-named persons as suggest by Kara herself in issue #3 of Worlds’ Finest.

So what is DC’s game plan with all of this? It would seem to me that DC is stick to the old “Sex Sells” approach. Now in my opinion I think there is nothing wrong with sex in a story, but it can be overdone, and DC in my opinion has definitely been over doing it. When sex intrudes on a character, and overrides the very fabric that has long been associated with that character the fan base will shift, ultimately leaving that character with fewer fans than it initially had. In the case of Power Girl it’s still early in the game for Worlds’ Finest, so hopefully things can pick back up by taking the focus of the promiscuity of Kara Zor-L, and judging by the actions of the creators with other books that probably will happen, but the question remains: will it develop into a mediocre book, or something that is actually decent? Most likely, but for fans of Kara Zor-L this will remain one of the less than stellar moments in the history of Power Girl.

This is beyond ridiculous.

BEYOND RIDICULOUS.

Conversation goes.

Helena: You see parademons under every bed
Kara: Well..... Not under every bed
Helena: KARA! *smacks kara
Kara: What?

Its official guys, Kara is a slut because of this sentence where she may or may not have slept with more than one man. Also note, its doesn't matter if that guy was her boyfriend, her date or just a fling.

Yups, Kara is a slut because she may or may not have slept with more than one man.

Hey ladies, this is what Delphic is telling you. If you slept with your boyfriend (more than one) you are considered "beyond promiscuous" and even come across as "slutty".

So quick question for OP, have you slept with more than one women? If yes, does that make you a manwhore? Or does this applies only for women.

Here are a list of characters than have slept with more than one person.

Bruce Wayne

Dick Grayson

Oliver Queen

most of the xmen.

Batwoman

Daredevil

Black Cat

etc etc etc

I like how you used one page, and didn't continue with the rest. the line Kara uses after that is "Just checking comparative anatomy" and is drawn in such a manner where every male in the panel is checking her out. The next suggestive panel to my argument is when her assistant describes Micheal Holt as "hands on" and Kara's immediate action is to dress up and reply "Let's see how hands on he is." In my opinion though from this was developed one of the more interesting sexual representations of Kara. Kara and Michael being friends with benefits is actually okay. There is actual interaction there.

The point of the entire blog is what DC comics is doing with Power Girl, not Power Girl herself. DC has done away with any development that was made with her since Pre 52, and made her more promiscuous in place of the running gag which made the 2009 run popular.

As far as every single one of these characters that you've mentioned most of them have at least had some sort of passion or emotion in their sexual activity. DC is apparently not doing that with Kara. They did with her relationship with Micheal Holt, which I have said myself that was actually interesting. I would have actually liked to have seen more develop there.

Also I would appreciate you not putting words in my mouth. I could care less if a woman has sex with their boyfriend, regardless of how many they have had. That's their business. That doesn't make them "sluts" in my eyes either. So next time before you state what my intention is be sure you actually know it.

Again, its merely subjected to different interpretation.

None of which implies casual sex with multiple persons.

Even in Mr Terrific, it was never stated that she had sex with mr terrific.

I'll like to know if you find Bruce Wayne's sexual promiscuity off putting? Or are men allowed to sleep with multiple women but women are not?

Also, now you're implying that if you have sex with someone whom you are not in a relationship that constitutes to a girl being a slut. Don't you think that is insulting?

I have friends who have serious relationships, but in between relationships, they had one or two casual relationships, does that make them sluts? Don't you think that is pretty insulting.

I'm just going to stop here and let you consider these points. You don't have to reply or owe me any explanations, but yes I do find your posts insulting and rude, not to mention if you have no problems with Bruce Wayne's sexual promiscuity, I call that double standards and sexist.

#17 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11076 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

I agree with the OP. People complain about Powergirl being exploited too much, but that's who the character is.

The OP is complaining that Powergirl is being exploited too much.

Maybe I should read the OP before commenting

#18 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

I think World's Finest is pretty awful... I see it getting cancelled before it gets to 10 issues.

#19 Posted by PowerGirlFan (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@Delphic said:

@PowerGirlFan said:

I don't get your point. Sex with Michael Holt and mention of sex with several other persons makes her "beyond promiscuous" and "slutty"? Her reduced boob size is "good"? This supposed promiscuity (or beyond) is the least of my problems with this book. Give her a decent artist, hair-do and costume and then we can talk about other problems, though I'd be happy with that.

As I said in the blog inside of parenthesis, the sex with Micheal Holt didn't bother me. I actually thought that was an interesting development, because the two character have always been involved with one another (as friends) since before the New 52 came out. Also the reduced boob size thing was me being sarcastic, but I guess not everyone will pick up on that. The definition of Promiscuity is the practice of a person having casual sex with multiple partners, but I'm going to suppose that you already knew that. In the under lying meaning and actions of Kara's words and behavoir to Helena in issue #3 it suggests that she is promiscuous. Kara pre-52 was not this way. Instead the sexual nature of Kara was sort of a running gag with the use of lines like "Eyes up here" or through comments made by other characters. It was during this time that Kara began to develop anymore than she had in the past, but when DC made its new 52 they decided to do away with all development that had been made (and Kara is not the only one they've done this too).

Glad you were being sarcastic about PG's reduced boob size. You didn't just say "promiscuous", you said "beyond promiscuous" and "at times slutty". I won't argue over meanings of words here. Perhaps your characterization of PG's behaviour (or attitude) is valid. Having sex with somebody to acquire technical secrets could well be characterized as slutty.

I get what you are saying now. Preciusly PG was sexy but not overtly or excessively sexual, now she is just sexual, and not so sexy.

BTW - That "slutty" dress PG wears seems to be paying tribute to the boob window of her former costume. Or perhaps dressing her in a sexy dress with a boob window is a subtle comment that boob windows are considered slutty in the DCnU. The irony here is that whereas the boob window in her former costume looked sexy, now she has a costume which covers her from neck to toe and she ACTS slutty - hence the slutty DRESS.

#20 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

While I agree with the sentiment, I disagree with the hyperbole in the topic title.

#21 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4157 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

While I agree with the sentiment, I disagree with the hyperbole in the topic title.

But its the hyberbole that brings you in :)

#22 Posted by PowerGirlFan (246 posts) - - Show Bio

Perhaps "The Corporate Prostitution of Power Girl" would be more apt.

#23 Posted by Delphic (1463 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

While I agree with the sentiment, I disagree with the hyperbole in the topic title.

You and most people.

@PowerGirlFan said:

@Delphic said:

@PowerGirlFan said:

I don't get your point. Sex with Michael Holt and mention of sex with several other persons makes her "beyond promiscuous" and "slutty"? Her reduced boob size is "good"? This supposed promiscuity (or beyond) is the least of my problems with this book. Give her a decent artist, hair-do and costume and then we can talk about other problems, though I'd be happy with that.

As I said in the blog inside of parenthesis, the sex with Micheal Holt didn't bother me. I actually thought that was an interesting development, because the two character have always been involved with one another (as friends) since before the New 52 came out. Also the reduced boob size thing was me being sarcastic, but I guess not everyone will pick up on that. The definition of Promiscuity is the practice of a person having casual sex with multiple partners, but I'm going to suppose that you already knew that. In the under lying meaning and actions of Kara's words and behavoir to Helena in issue #3 it suggests that she is promiscuous. Kara pre-52 was not this way. Instead the sexual nature of Kara was sort of a running gag with the use of lines like "Eyes up here" or through comments made by other characters. It was during this time that Kara began to develop anymore than she had in the past, but when DC made its new 52 they decided to do away with all development that had been made (and Kara is not the only one they've done this too).

Glad you were being sarcastic about PG's reduced boob size. You didn't just say "promiscuous", you said "beyond promiscuous" and "at times slutty". I won't argue over meanings of words here. Perhaps your characterization of PG's behaviour (or attitude) is valid. Having sex with somebody to acquire technical secrets could well be characterized as slutty.

I get what you are saying now. Preciusly PG was sexy but not overtly or excessively sexual, now she is just sexual, and not so sexy.

BTW - That "slutty" dress PG wears seems to be paying tribute to the boob window of her former costume. Or perhaps dressing her in a sexy dress with a boob window is a subtle comment that boob windows are considered slutty in the DCnU. The irony here is that whereas the boob window in her former costume looked sexy, now she has a costume which covers her from neck to toe and she ACTS slutty - hence the slutty DRESS.

@PowerGirlFan said:

Perhaps "The Corporate Prostitution of Power Girl" would be more apt.

Though I am glad that you see my point, I have to say that I don't consider the dress itself slutty, just the actions in which Kara has been depicted. That would be like saying that because a rape victim was wearing a mini-skirt she was asking to get raped, which is absolutely not true. Yes, certain clothes can be more advertising than others, but the action of the person is what defines them. The more loose moral part during that panel was that Kara decides to put on that dress just to try and appeal to Michael Holt to get information out of him. She says herself after her assistant describes Michael as being "hands on" with his work she says "Let's just see how hands on Mr. Holt really is." It was the nature of that action that I frown upon.

Also as far as the name of the title of this blog, most people disagree with it, but for me it was most fitting. DC Comics has been using Kara as a sex joke for years, and when she finally makes a development, DC Corporation decides to rip that right out from under her, and replace that development with what we currently see. To me it was a direct assault on her character, which is what a rape is, an assault. The title represents how I personally feel about what DC comic Inc. has done to one of my most beloved characters.

#24 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2609 posts) - - Show Bio

I really have to agree with you. Honestly, I would have preferred it if they made her a Daxamite instead of just extradimensional Supergirl. My idea for it is mainly due to an old idea I had to make her origin less confusing. I mean in some places they said she was ATLANTEAN!!!

#25 Edited by PowerGirlFan (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@Delphic said:

Though I am glad that you see my point, I have to say that I don't consider the dress itself slutty, just the actions in which Kara has been depicted. That would be like saying that because a rape victim was wearing a mini-skirt she was asking to get raped, which is absolutely not true. Yes, certain clothes can be more advertising than others, but the action of the person is what defines them. The more loose moral part during that panel was that Kara decides to put on that dress just to try and appeal to Michael Holt to get information out of him. She says herself after her assistant describes Michael as being "hands on" with his work she says "Let's just see how hands on Mr. Holt really is." It was the nature of that action that I frown upon.

Also as far as the name of the title of this blog, most people disagree with it, but for me it was most fitting. DC Comics has been using Kara as a sex joke for years, and when she finally makes a development, DC Corporation decides to rip that right out from under her, and replace that development with what we currently see. To me it was a direct assault on her character, which is what a rape is, an assault. The title represents how I personally feel about what DC comic Inc. has done to one of my most beloved characters.

I didn't mean that the dress was slutty, I was pointing out the inconsistency in DC requiring costumes to cover boobs and legs in the DCnU yet making PG wear a dress which reveals both, for the purpose of seducing a man to acquire his technology. It's as if DC are saying See? Boob windows are slutty. This is PG being respectable (show PG in costume). This is PG being slutty (show PG in dress). Oops! She's not supposed to act like that."

Which just goes to illustrate your point: They traded a female character who is sexy yet self-respectful for a less sexy character (smaller boobs, awful costume, and currently very badly drawn) who will spread it around and use sex to get things.

Actually, in WF #3, PG seems to be behaving like a stereotypical dingaling.

#26 Edited by COBRAMORPH (1516 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems to me, if there ever was a corporate rape of the PG character, it would have been in 2009, when they tryed to make her into a more serious & respectable character so that corporate would have another major character to anchor a franchise.

Also, this Power Girl is a completely different PG from the one before Flashpoint. So again, its not harming the 2009 version as that universe is gone, or at least in limbo. They could have this version be evil, its no different than the Crime Syndicate versions.

#27 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@COBRAMORPH: Too bad a lot of people actually liked the previous version of the character. The new version is, in essence, harming the Power Girl name, because it's causing fewer people to be a fan of the character, as is the general consensus I've gathered from... well, everywhere I've looked. I, for one, am no longer a fan of Power Girl... at least how she is now, and how she'll likely be for the foreseeable future, which makes liking the old version even more painful, because I know we'll never be getting that version back. And I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

#28 Edited by PowerGirlFan (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@COBRAMORPH said:

Seems to me, if there ever was a corporate rape of the PG character, it would have been in 2009, when they tryed to make her into a more serious & respectable character so that corporate would have another major character to anchor a franchise.

Also, this Power Girl is a completely different PG from the one before Flashpoint. So again, its not harming the 2009 version as that universe is gone, or at least in limbo. They could have this version be evil, its no different than the Crime Syndicate versions.

Not sure what you mean by "more serious& respectable". However, I did like the original, touchy, aggressive and sexy PG. The 2009 onward version was too nice-mannered. They made out that her original persona was just an emotional problem which they later adjusted.

If the pre-Flashpoint PG is gone, then maybe some non-DC writers and artists can use her now. It wouldn't be difficult to find better ones than DC hired for her. I can draw her better than she is drawn in WF now.

Different version or not, she was good how she was and they could have kept her like that. As yousay, they have virtually done away with the character and kept the name only.

#29 Posted by Joe_Amazing (103 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4 said:

@COBRAMORPH: Too bad a lot of people actually liked the previous version of the character. The new version is, in essence, harming the Power Girl name, because it's causing fewer people to be a fan of the character, as is the general consensus I've gathered from... well, everywhere I've looked. I, for one, am no longer a fan of Power Girl... at least how she is now, and how she'll likely be for the foreseeable future, which makes liking the old version even more painful, because I know we'll never be getting that version back. And I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I feel your pain, man. I was a fan of PG for many years. And to see the character turned into this latest version...it hurts. At least I still have the 2009 run of her solo book to remember her at the height of her game. And once I have #1 signed by Amanda Conner (I've got Jimmy Palmiotti's signature already on it), it'll be a great part of my collection.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.