Review: Power Girl #15

Posted by Zack Freeman (314 posts) - - Show Bio
Desperately scrambling for ways to defeat the seemingly-invincible Crash, Power Girl has no choice but to blackmail Nicholas into using his hacker skills to find the behemoth's weakness.

The Good

As I said about issue #15, this title continues to be a well-executed solo title. It isn't reaching for much more, but it doesn't really need to be. Winick and Basri haven't missed a beat in their transition from Palmiotti and Conner. Once again, I think the writing's perfectly captured PG's personality as being noble and indefatigable, but not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree. In this case, it's her thinking she can honestly fool Nicholas into buying her thin secret identity alibi and then subsequently being surprised when he deduces the truth. Basri's art is also endlessly appealing - - straddling the clean lines of an artist like Chris Sprouse with the dynamic, detailed rendering of an artist like Andy Kubert.

The Bad

Maybe this is a minor quibble, but wouldn't Power Girl be absolutely exhausted after her iron man match with Crash? He'd been trouncing her all over town for the first half of this issue, yet she's not even fatigued after an hour-long brawl with him? It takes an big ball of Kryptonite to finally lay her low? It just seemed to diminish what could have been some really intense drama - - the fight was the center point of the story, after all.

The Verdict - 4/5

As I've been enjoying what Winick's doing on Generation Lost so much, I've been waiting for this particular shoe to drop. Power Girl was a member of the JLE, as I recall, so I was wondering when her relationship with Maxwell Lord was ever going to be addressed. She doesn't seem to remember him, so I'm really curious to see how this plotline plays out. Finally, somebody from the other side of the mindwipe bubble is going to deal with this newly-resurrected scumbag.
#1 Posted by WizardShazam (49 posts) - - Show Bio

I will also chime in and give my support for the art as well, one of my fav solo titles right now.

#2 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

The title kept his quality despite the change in the creative team!

#3 Posted by ComiCCloseup (287 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think she would be ABSOLUTELY exhausted I mean she is kinda "super" But as a reader of this series I know what you mean I think in the previous run with Palmiotti and Conner this problem was more evident of a no real threat and things were always too easily fixed and taken care of.

#4 Posted by N7_Normandy (2430 posts) - - Show Bio

haven't read this?  Is it worth starting?
#5 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

I was hoping that this series would stay away from getting too involved with DC current continuity.

#6 Posted by ForbushBug (496 posts) - - Show Bio

There's some great dialogue this issue, especially from Nicholas. The stuff about "gigantic purple monster' got a legit LOL from me.

#7 Posted by NightFang (9904 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty good issue. 

#8 Posted by WW-Fan (2738 posts) - - Show Bio

love love this issue! its gets better and better :)
#9 Posted by WW-Fan (2738 posts) - - Show Bio
@N7_Normandy:
yes if you have Read 13 and 14
#10 Posted by 123422 (1013 posts) - - Show Bio
@WW-Fan: Completely loving the current run, i hope the next arc will be even better

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.