Follow

Power Girl

Character » Power Girl appears in 1721 issues.

Kara Zor-L is the older, wiser, and stronger counterpart of Supergirl from Earth 2 but resides on the Prime Earth.

New Power Girl series coming

• 48 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gmanfromheck

Announced at the New York Comic-Con. Written by Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti, with art by Amanda Conner.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Darkchild

Bigger boobs

Bigger fights

Avatar image for midnight_lantern
    Midnight Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Midnight Lantern

I'll be buying the Comic. She's an awesome Character.

RESPECT POWER GIRL

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Methos

Why a new Power Girl series when DC have just release a dozen of comics that they are cutting back on?

i mean, Catwoman has been canceled, and i'd prefer to read that than a new Power Girl series...

guess it just depends who's on the creative staff, but i won't hold high hopes for it

M

Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Last_Guardian

Well...I'll just be looking forward to the pics lol...not that I'm a perv or anything it's jsut I don't really folow DC too much...

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Nighthunter

Going back, even before the JSA Classified arc by Geoff Johns and Amanda Conner in which she starred, DC fans have been clamoring for Power Girl to get her own series. That clamoring has only gotten louder as the character has been featured by Johns in Justice Society of America, and will be the focus of this summer’s JSA Annual which sees Power Girl traveling to Earth-2.

Well, it’s time for the clamoring to stop. A Power Girl series is coming, written by Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti, with art by Amanda Conner. We spoke with the team about what’s to come for the Last Daughter of (Earth-2) Krypton.

Newsarama: Jimmy and Justin - first things first - how did you land the title? Was it something that you pitched to DC and had to sell them on, or was it a case where DC was looking to start the series and came knocking?

Justin Gray: Whenever Jimmy and I discussed what we’d like to work on we kept coming back to Power Girl. The problem was that she’d been solidified in JSA and some exciting plans were in place for her. During a meeting with Dan Didio we expressed an interest in writing Power Girl. Dan said he wanted a pitch, but that it would be a while before she would be available. He wasn’t kidding because that meeting took place last summer.

Jimmy Palmiotti: Having worked with Amanda Conner on the character last year, my interest has grown concerning Power Girl’s history and what was next for the character. Justin and I would often talk about “what if” scenarios if we were able to get a series going…and like Justin just said, a lot was going on with her in the DC Universe that we needed to keep track of. At the time, we were asked to develop a new book for another character that we felt was not suited for us at the time.

JG: The book in question wasn’t a good fit and we told Dan that during a meeting.

JP: That’s when we asked for a character we felt we could bring more to the table with…Power Girl.

NRAMA: Wait – so how long have you two been working on the series?

JG: We pitched Power Girl about a year ago. Since that time a lot has changed in the ever-changing DCU, so we’ve gone through several revisions and ideas leading up to the first arc.

JP: Art wise we have had to make a lot of decisions about how we saw the character being handled and had to find the right fit. She is a very expressive character and being able to just draw a sexy well built woman is good for a pin-up, but this is a multi-layered character trying to make her way in the world and we wanted the right artist to be able to express in their visuals not only the obvious, but the inner workings as well. The character demands respect.

JG: We wanted some humor but we didn’t want the book to be driven by humor.

JP: And that’s where Amanda is a fantastic fit for the character. She loves Power Girl and her facial expressions really give the reader something to relate to past the dialogue and what’s going on.

JG: Absolutely, there’s a tremendous comfort level in writing for Amanda because not only will she find a better way to visually communicate an idea or moment, but she’ll do it in a pure and brilliant way that neither of us thought of. This is definitely a case of the three of us working like a band, with each member bringing something different to the project. Once you add Paul Mounts to the mix I think people are going to be very happy with the final product.

NRAMA: You went into it a little, but what's the attraction to Power Girl for both of you? What makes her and her world interesting enough to say yes to when the offer was on the table?

JG: One thing we missed after working on Hawkman was the opportunity to write a big, loud, superhero book that focused on a single character rather than a team like the Freedom Fighters. That said Power Girl comes with some distinct challenges. One of those challenges is the double-edged sword of her physical appearance, which is easy to interpret in a negative when it comes to attracting female readers. The other challenge is to show the clear distinction between Power Girl and the other Kryptonian titles. The philosophy behind this book is dead simple. Power Girl combines larger than life superhero adventures when she’s in costume and quiet emotional resonance when she’s Karen Starr, CEO of Starrware. Starrware also plays a major role in the series in exciting ways. More than just an outlet for her secret identity, Starrware has undergone a change of focus as a result of events in Power Girl’s life prior to the series launch.

JP: For me, starting a book from the ground up, building the world around her from practically scratch and giving Power Girl her own rogues gallery is something I live for in this business. We have a very exciting opportunity to get in there and give this character a whole world and cast of characters she hasn’t had the opportunity to have before this and with the fans blessing, continue to build on this and really make this character one of DC’s top books.

JG: But we need to say that starting from the ground up doesn’t mean we’re ignoring or re-imagining anything. What it means is we’re in a position to add new dimensions to Power Girl’s mythology. There are a number of things that haven’t been covered and PG doesn’t have a personal rogues gallery so there are some exciting opportunities to create them.

JP: It’s endless fun for us and hopefully something the audience will get totally absorbed in.

NRAMA: Power Girl's been seeing a lot of action, both story-wise and internally/psychologically lately in JSA. When does this series pick up with her, and where's her head at, so to speak?

JG: At this point we can’t answer the question directly because it would be uncool to spoil anything that hasn’t been released yet. We’re much more interested in where she’s going as a character as opposed to where she’s been. There’s a concerted effort to put her past behind her and embrace new challenges.

JP: Issue #1 will be a first issue and not a total continuation of other stories…sort of. we are concise of everything presented to the character before the release , but making a clear effort to make the book stand on its own and give the new readers a chance to get to know Kara and who she really is. That said, we are looking at this as a classic character launch that establishes more than explains.

NRAMA: Along those lines, what makes Power Girl, Power Girl? What, in your eyes, are her defining qualities?

JG: Obvious jokes aside, Power Girl is the consummate super heroine, brave, strong, fearless and compassionate.

JP: A powerhouse with a soft side and a foreigner in a familiar land.

JG: It will be great to move away from the multiverse angle and concentrate on who she is, what she wants and what she expects from herself.

NRAMA: Power Girl had her arc in JSA Classified, which went a long way in defining her, but that was part of a larger series that went on to focus on other characters. Likewise, she's a fan favorite supporting character in JSA. How do you go about working her success as a backup singer into making her a lead singer?

JG: Personally I see her as being selfless, which is why she hasn’t stepped forward as a lead singer until now. It isn’t important for her to stand out when she’s part of a team, but here in this book that’s exactly what she’ll do. People want a comfortable preconception about what they're reading and this is just that, a straight up superhero book as big and explosive as we can make it with Power Girl as the star. It's been 70 years of superhero comics and people are comfortable with the roles, even though every angle has been explored, they'll still read endless variations on superheroes and villains, right?

The idea here is the DCU, this whole Earth people have been reading about for seventy years is on constant overload. Aliens, super villains, rogue technologies, these are the things Power Girl has to deal with every day. On the flip side of that we have her alter ego, Karen Starr. Most characters in comics have ordinary lives that they escape from by putting on a costume. Power Girl uses Karen Starr as an escape from the overload of being a super heroine, which is the opposite of nearly every other superhero.

JP: All that and the fact that, like all background singers, this will be her moment to move into the spotlight and shine.

NRAMA: Obviously, and as you briefly mentioned, with Power Girl, there's the cheesecake factor that's been a part of her character since it was created. Geoff and others have taken steps to work her appearance and costume into her character, but what view of it do you two have of it?

JG: This book isn’t going to be our platform for some kind of new age feminist commentary; it is a superhero comic book, an escapist fantasy starring a buxom blonde bombshell who can kick your ass into outer space. Some people are going to find fault with it just because of the costume and the bra size of the heroine and those people can bitch about it on the Google machine if they like because this is America baby! Home of the free!

JP: I love the fact that Kara is larger than life visually and what Amanda Conner did when redesigning the costume for the JSA Classified series played on that exactly like I think it should have and I expect some more changes along the way. This is who she is, this is how she is built and God bless Gerry Conway, Ric Estrada and Wally Wood for such a cool design. Why fight the obvious? Amanda is going to do what she does best and draw the shit out of this book.

JG: Look, Power Girl is a sexy book and that’s only one component of the character. We’re not shying away from it but we’re not interested in making that the primary focus either. One of the many benefits of having Amanda with us as the artist is she’s capable of bringing a natural and reactive female perspective to the scripts. Amanda is also free and clear to add or subtract anything she wants from the story and representation of Kara as a real woman despite her anatomical advantages. Expressive emotion, layered storytelling and a sense of playful bounce are also some of the elements Amanda’s wonderful art brings to the book. She knows how to make Power Girl sexy without being gratuitous or cheesy, which makes our jobs so much easier.

NRAMA: Overall, what's the tone of series going to be? What notes are you going to be looking to hit?

JG: Action and adventure on a massive scale combined with the kind of character development and star treatment Power Girl deserves. Her power levels are on par with Superman and we need stories that reflect that without losing a sense of drama. She’s not invincible but she’s much stronger than the average villain. There needs to be that sense of danger that only Power Girl can confront. As Karen Starr the focus is on Starrlabs and the technologies, big ideas and the wacky sci-fi stuff being explored there on a human level.

JP: Entertaining and fun with a bit of humor as well. The super heroics and over the top action will be there but we plan on establishing a real life and supporting cast for Powergirl and given its her own series, we will continue to build on these relationships. We want to give the reader a complete fix.

NRAMA: Let's wrap with a tease...what gets the ball rolling at the start of the series?

JG: An old villain gets a major power boost, a new character arrives on Earth after years of traveling through space, weird sciences, nanotech tattoos, algae monsters, an alien kaleidoscopic intelligence older than recorded history, a strand of computer code capable of rewriting reality, biotech-enhanced time traveling Neanderthals who clashed with the seven angels of vengeance during the apocalypse of 1955.

JP: A new work place, a new location, a cool group of supporting characters and some new looks along the way.

JG: Oh and there’s futurism and fascism, incursions from other realities caused by the inadvertent manipulation of a lost piece of Niccolo Paganini’s sheet music written in the blood of the world’s first super villain…okay, that just might be the caffeine talking.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#7  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

They're going overboard with those boobs.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By warlock360

Darkchild says:

"Bigger boobsBigger fights"

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#9  Edited By No_Name_

Vance Astro says:

"They're going overboard with those boobs."

right??? As if this wasn't enough...

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

I think this has the potential to be an awesome book.

zero edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By zero edge

looking forward to this

strongman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By strongman

so is sh super girl pm me if you know

Blazing Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13  Edited By Blazing Eagle

BatgirlBabs says:

"Vance Astro says:
    "They're going overboard with those boobs."
    right??? As if this wasn't enough...
    " />http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/HFH13-.jpg"

I agree they shouldn't draw every superherione with big breasts just a few of them.

I'm a guy and even I think there are two much big breasts in comics.

Anyway I like Power Girl for two reasons.

1.Confident character and hopefully there will be humor.

1. Her Boobs. Yes I admire that.
    Avatar image for the_reservoir_dog
    The Reservoir Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously ,they are making her boobs way to big, I mean first they were alright but now they're just......
    Holy crap!

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By NightFang3
    The Reservoir Dog said:
    "Seriously ,they are making her boobs way to big, I mean first they were alright but now they're just......
    Holy crap!"
                  And that's just the way i look them.
    shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By shanana

OMG!!!!

-_-

IS tired of discussing powergirl's boobs every time she is brought up

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By King_Saturn
    Sha said:
    "OMG!!!!

-_-

IS tired of discussing powergirl's boobs every time she is brought up"
    Whats Wrong With PowerGirl's Boobs ? They Look Fine To Me...

lol
    Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hawk
    Sha said:
    "OMG!!!!

-_-

IS tired of discussing powergirl's boobs every time she is brought up"
    That's her selling point though. Like Dolly Parton
    superzboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By superzboy

i respect them big o titties of hers

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#20  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    superzboy said:
    "i respect them big o titties of hers"
    Beyond inappropriate.
    Graft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Graft
    superzboy said:
    "i respect them big o titties of hers"
    LMMFAO
    GammaGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GammaGirl

Sorry Vance, but perhaps comics aren't for you then?  There is nothing new about this.  Power Girl's breasts have always been larger than life and in fact, featured as plot devices on various occassions.  If you can't handle that then I suggest you go back to reading Jughead and Archie.

GammaGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GammaGirl

anyways... we were told it would be sometime after the Gog story line.  K.... Gog is over... where's my Power Girl??

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By King_Saturn
    Thank You Lord  !
    Shonen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Shonen

Power girl boobs = Best selling comic of the year for DC

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Nighthunter

I find it funny that Didio announced this series before Secret Six and yet Secret Six is 2 issues from finishing their first (and great) arc while this series hasn't even been solicited lol

same goes for James Robinson's Justice League

Phanteros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Phanteros

those boobs..... I really need to go get that comic

Snake Eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Snake Eyes

:D

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Nighthunter
    Jimmy Palmiotti said:
    This week Justin and I finished up writing Powergirl #4 and we are taking a small break to allow Amanda to catch up with the art and pitching some new stuff we were asked to give our take on. Amanda is penciling and inking the book herself, just like she did on the TERRA miniseries, even though I was credited for inking a few issues which I think was a reflex move on the part of editorial. We are really excited about this book and have driven Amanda to drink with the amount of stuff we have happening in the first two issues alone. I think Amanda might bring a set of Xerox’s to Megacon if anyone wants to take a look and I think the book now will be solicited for a may release and is a monthly ongoing series."
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Nighthunter

that the scrypt is written doesn't mean the art is done yet

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Nighthunter

well it's just an speculation, I mean apparently the reason behind Robinson's JL not out yet is that it's a slow artist

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Nighthunter

pervert...

I personally prefer for a book to come out later than expected than having a delay

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Nighthunter

Can't say I've gotten into her (not that way)

so couldn't say

Citizen Vance*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Citizen Vance*

I like Power Girl...but I doubt this comic will last.I'm not even going to get my hopes up.

Overkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Overkill

I'm gonna buy it, without a doubt. Power Girl is awesome, I love her... personality.

Yeah, I love her big personality O.O

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Nighthunter

Dan Didio said:

As for information – it really depends on what month it is, and what’s realdy to be announced. One of the things that I want to get away from, to speak frankly, is announcing things too early. We announce things like a Jimmy Palmiotti/Justin Gray/Amanda Conner Power Girl that we’re really excited about before they’re ready. Using that as a case in point – we announced Power Girl at last year’s New York Con in April, and it will be solicited for May of this year.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Nighthunter

solicits of april didn't include the series so it's as soon as you can get it

be happy :P

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Nighthunter
    Esther Cotillard LeBeau said:
    "I just threw up on myself
    Give Cassie another run, not Powergirl... *groans*
    "
    Points to the batman discussion thread

now that the batgirl series could be barbara is another thing...
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
    deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

aztek the lost said:
    "Esther Cotillard LeBeau said:
    "I just threw up on myself
    Give Cassie another run, not Powergirl... *groans*
    "
    but Powergirl has a massive bust, can you say the same for Cassie?"
    Why does that matter?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

aztek the lost said:
    "Esther Cotillard LeBeau said:
    "@Aztek: I really dont know why shes still around when you can get hentai for free, if youre into that sort of thing. 
    Powergirl needs to be written out of continuity permanently."
    you can get anything for free but I agree that Power Girl should be written out of continuity but that doesn't mean she can't have a mini outside of the DC universe just for all the pervs like myself :D"
    Why not look at....real women?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.